So who HAS returned to the UK & been happy?

ezzie

We hear about pingpongers, about the millions flooding over from the UK to Australia, but has anyone gone back and loved it, warts and all. We didn't return because we had everyone telling us 'country's gone to the dogs'. We believed them and stayed here in Sydney. We believed them, easy to do when everyone is chanting the same mantra.

But who's out there who thinks life's good back in Blighty?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably about to go back after 'giving it a go' for 24 years!

Flippin heck that is a good go. Well i hope it works out for you. I think that if we do what we beleive is right in our hearts the outcome is almost secondary as we are doing what we think is right.

I reckon gut instinct is going to be the best. If you feel happy and contented either in the UK or Aus, then you will be (makes sense?).

Although I'm happy here, I reckon I would be more happier in the UK but that is just a presumption. Guessing you need to experience it first before you can say you're happier.

wow ok well ive been here since 1987 so 22 years. Got another 7 to go maybe.

Gong back next christmas for a month with kids aged 9 and 11 and then in 2012 for 6 months. Plan is hubby and I buy caravan in UK ( static) and campervan here and travle between the two.....cant wait ....

Good luck very envious but am so so grateful I have my hubby and great kids.Would obviously rather be here with them than in UK without them.

Wishful

xx

Good luck with the move, both countries have their good and bad points, and we're exceptionally lucky to be able to choose which one we live in, only word of caution I would have for you based on friends experience is that you are more or less moving to a new country, the Britain you knew no longer exists except in your memory, I hope you find what you are looking for ( We haven't yet) hopefully you'll keep us updated on how you are doing.

I'm happy. Moved back to Spain (not UK) but as soon as finances allow i'll be getting a small place bolt hole in the UK.

Although the UK is physically smaller than aus it has much more scope when it comes to lifestyles.

We hear about pingpongers, about the millions flooding over from the UK to Australia, but has anyone gone back and loved it, warts and all. We didn't return because we had everyone telling us 'country's gone to the dogs'. We believed them and stayed here in Sydney. We believed them, easy to do when everyone is chanting the same mantra.

But who's out there who thinks life's good back in Blighty?

Yeah love it !- To me it all depends where you are going back to in the UK.

If you go back to a housing estate ,inner city ,of course you wont last 5 minutes.

We loved Oz ,but basically i got BORED.....not my wife, me.

And it takes a while to refocus on living here and seeing the positives.

we live in a decent area ,with good schools,great infrastructure,great shopping .

Stratford and Warwick down the road - London 2 hours away by train.

Birmingham airport 20 minutes away.......europe

The youngest has joined the gym, structured excercise classes 7 days a week - £26 a month -indoor and outdoor tennis courts ,badminton ,squash, mini gym ,indoor pool and heated outdoor pool ( we were in it the other day in the rain ).

So even the excercise advantage oz has ,can be balanced up ,if you look.

wow ok well ive been here since 1987 so 22 years. Got another 7 to go maybe.

Gong back next christmas for a month with kids aged 9 and 11 and then in 2012 for 6 months. Plan is hubby and I buy caravan in UK ( static) and campervan here and travle between the two.....cant wait ....

Good luck very envious but am so so grateful I have my hubby and great kids.Would obviously rather be here with them than in UK without them.

Wishful

xx

Hmm, you've given me the makings of a plan, on retirement (some years off yet unfortunately ) mobile home in the U.K spend the summer there, back to Victoria for the other nine months of the year, I like it :biggrin:

Im one of those who returned to the UK and know it is 100% right for me and my family.

I gave Australia 2 years but I knew from day 1 that it wasn't for me.I still threw myself into my new life,met some wonderful people ,built a house and seen some wonderful sights but it was never "home " for me.

We have been back in UK .... well Scotland ....for 10 months now and I have never been happier.Despite the recession we both landed jobs and bought a house that was out of our price range before our Oz travels.My daughter is happy with her extended family round her and her days are busy with government funded nursery place/swimming/Dancing/Softplay area/day trips/days in the park....well all the things she did in Oz really. I must admit I do miss my trips to the beach but not enough to come back and I just fill my days with the hundreds other activities that scotland has to offer.

So we came back to a better house.Better lifestyle and family and friends...It can be the right move for some.

Hmm, you've given me the makings of a plan, on retirement (some years off yet unfortunately ) mobile home in the U.K spend the summer there, back to Victoria for the other nine months of the year, I like it :biggrin:

Yup.....we are going to do it...its the only cost effective way to do it ( unless everyone moves with us wihich is highly unlikely) and people have somewhere to go in Uk when we are here and vise versa.

cant bloody wait !!!!:laugh:

Hi ezzie, I recognise that floozy !!! Don't come back to Brum !!! It has changed an awful lot that you may not be able to recognise the place. The floozy is still there there but the jacuzzi has sprung a leak !!!

Perhaps you could join us on the Midlands meets in due course and share your experiences with us ??? :notworthy:

Kelly x x x

I was in Brum Nov-Jan this year and loved it! OK, not the inner city areas which are dire and need a bloody good clean-up, but the rest is looking brill!

I noticed that the traffic had really increased and it was pretty sluggish getting out of the city in rush hour. But the people were (mostly) as friendly and funny as ever. Make the most of it as you'll not get that in Oz.

We even got to have afternoon tea with the Mayor and his wife!

Hi ezzie, I recognise that floozy !!! Don't come back to Brum !!! It has changed an awful lot that you may not be able to recognise the place. The floozy is still there there but the jacuzzi has sprung a leak !!!

Perhaps you could join us on the Midlands meets in due course and share your experiences with us ??? :notworthy:

Kelly x x x

Guest ElizaBee

Thanks so much for asking this question Ezzie!!!!

Yes, i've only just realised how much i've missed the English sense of humour!

I think i may actually be feeling a little bit excited at moving back!

Well we're terrified~have spoken to people who've moved back,plus some friends who returned and they're all on their way back within the next year. Basically they say it's not what they thought it would be and it's just too hard a struggle to survive financially...and these people are on pretty damned good salaries.

So dh and I just had another conversation regarding 'should we really go back'. It's not like we'd be going back to our old stomping ground, it's a completely new area with no support.

Thanks so much for asking this question Ezzie!!!!

Yes, i've only just realised how much i've missed the English sense of humour!

I think i may actually be feeling a little bit excited at moving back!

Well we're terrified~have spoken to people who've moved back,plus some friends who returned and they're all on their way back within the next year. Basically they say it's not what they thought it would be and it's just too hard a struggle to survive financially...and these people are on pretty damned good salaries.

So dh and I just had another conversation regarding 'should we really go back'. It's not like we'd be going back to our old stomping ground, it's a completely new area with no support.

Well, not to add to your stress but we've been in England now for the last 9 years and while we love living here it is really hard financially, we both work full time and don't have any dependants but still never have any spare cash, it's one of the reasons we're about to head back to Melbourne, it's probably not a reason to decide which Country to live in, but certainly something worth taking into consideration.

Oh Ezzie, what a dilemma - no it isnt going back it is moving forward with your lives. My guess is that folk who are happy back in UK wont be lurking on going to Aus boards. Only you will know if your finances will accommodate the move - at least you have a job to go to which is probably more than many returnees will have. Also, people who have been away from Aus for more than 4 years will notice a big change back here too IMHO and not for the better either - the world keeps on turning and the search for the greenest grass continues. Australia is very much a two income country these days as well and that isnt going to change in a long time (sorry RJB - inflated property prices and about to rise interest rates especially in the big cities)

If you dont go now you will never go and can you live with that? This is a great time to be going because of the dollar value against the pound - that probably wont get much better, it puts some really nice properties in reasonable range of Aus property values (before they plummet) - Aussies have always been quite disadvantaged with their dollars not travelling well at all and until recently we couldnt have bought anything half decent by cashing in our house.

Remember the mantra on here - you dont want to die wondering "what if???"

Hi Ezzie,

I am having one them OMG are we doing the right thing heading back days today. I just do not know what to do but if we dont go now will we ever go. Like Quoll said if we go now the dollar, house prices in UK its all in our favour and we are too hoping my DH can transfer back to the UK with his company. The kids are still young and not yet at school....it is such a dilemma.

I have read about how bad the weather has been in the UK this Summer and the kids there have spent all their time indoors over the school holidays, but does that really bother me probably not we can do lots of things indoors and then people talk about the economy, Chavs it is just all too scary. I am just wondering am I being selfish and should I be doing the best thing by my children we do have a good lifestyle out here and fairly set up so do we have to go through the uproot just for me and my feelings. I just honestly do not know.

I really feel for you, it such a hard and draining decision.

Take Care

Hmm, don't know about anyone else but we had a big surprise when we returned for our 'tester' holiday back in the UK.

We went into Tesco's to compare prices with our local (expensive) Coles and to our surprise (and horror), we found that most items were twice as expensive in Australia than in England. Now I grant you that the Dollar is extremely strong against the pound, but even so, its lot cheaper for staples in England. Even Australian wine (not a bad bottle) was only 5.65GBP (so about the same). Mince beef was 2 pounds a kilo (compared with 8 dollars a kilo + here).

Baby formula (for a 900g tin) was 8 pounds versus $25!

It was a shock. With house prices rising fast (still!) here in Brisbane, power bills comparable (check the statistics...), its looking good. Then again I found out that people have just excepted losing almost all of their super in the UK... and water and services cost more. That is where things even out.

Its eye opening, but for us the decision is made - we are returning to the UK...

I was in Brum Nov-Jan this year and loved it! OK, not the inner city areas which are dire and need a bloody good clean-up, but the rest is looking brill!

I noticed that the traffic had really increased and it was pretty sluggish getting out of the city in rush hour. But the people were (mostly) as friendly and funny as ever. Make the most of it as you'll not get that in Oz.

We even got to have afternoon tea with the Mayor and his wife!

People in this country ( uk ) , never to cease to amaze me . Most of them i see have got f..k all materially , but so friendly and interesting.

I was up near Oldham .......Woman opens the door " come on in luv , i"ll go and put the kettle on" .......it all starts from there .......nice chinwag .....she was elderly so i gave her a lift to the hairdressers.......natter natter natter .......its a good job iam good listener!

Come and join us in Solihull .....ITS GREAT !

You seem to be up north a lot young bunbury, what do you do up there when you live in Brum? ...apart from being dragged into strange women's homes of course!

People in this country ( uk ) , never to cease to amaze me . Most of them i see have got f..k all materially , but so friendly and interesting.

I was up near Oldham .......Woman opens the door " come on in luv , i"ll go and put the kettle on" .......it all starts from there .......nice chinwag .....she was elderly so i gave her a lift to the hairdressers.......natter natter natter .......its a good job iam good listener!

Archived