So who HAS returned to the UK & been happy?

ezzie

Guest flipflop
No, me neither...although apparently skin cancer is now the 2nd most common cancer in 18-24 yr olds in the UK.....No hope for us here in Aus!

I can see that and they are banning sun-beds for younger people over here which can only be good.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tlander56
I can see that and they are banning sun-beds for younger people over here which can only be good.

Yes, I read that too....Until recently young kids were able to go into coin operated booths and tan themselves to death......scary!

Guest jackie Macdonald

Well I'm a qualified spray tan technician so it's good news for me!! LOL xx:yes:

Iam new to this site so sorry if iam not doing this right. I came to Oz when i was 10 yrs old back in 1974. I never felt i belonged here and have been back 3 times but its been 25 years since the last time. Iam now in a position to return home, buy a home and have money left over GREAT. My parents dont want to go back, my 2 kids 16yrs and 5yrs have never been and dont seem keen to go. Is there anybody like me who still longs for the feeling of belonging, its so hard to explain but iam not at peace here i have all ways had a feeling of iam just waiting for some thing, iam empty here Iam also worried i will be displaced back home as i have been away so long. My parents are crancking up the guilt factor claiming iam going to split my kids up and its cruel to inflict this on them when they have a life here, that life in the uk would be unbearable for them. Is it ever the right time ??? When i have been home in the past i loose all memory of oz, its like i have never been here....would be grateful for any help with this, iam 45 now and i feel its now or never to get a life happening in the uk. Iam originally from The Wirral in Mersyside and would move back there.

Guest LukeSkywalker
Iam new to this site so sorry if iam not doing this right. I came to Oz when i was 10 yrs old back in 1974. I never felt i belonged here and have been back 3 times but its been 25 years since the last time. Iam now in a position to return home, buy a home and have money left over GREAT. My parents dont want to go back, my 2 kids 16yrs and 5yrs have never been and dont seem keen to go. Is there anybody like me who still longs for the feeling of belonging, its so hard to explain but iam not at peace here i have all ways had a feeling of iam just waiting for some thing, iam empty here Iam also worried i will be displaced back home as i have been away so long. My parents are crancking up the guilt factor claiming iam going to split my kids up and its cruel to inflict this on them when they have a life here, that life in the uk would be unbearable for them. Is it ever the right time ??? When i have been home in the past i loose all memory of oz, its like i have never been here....would be grateful for any help with this, iam 45 now and i feel its now or never to get a life happening in the uk. Iam originally from The Wirral in Mersyside and would move back there.

Jesus. This could be me in reverse. Good luck with the decision.

Guest sooveroz
I agree with the dangers of the sun but Australia constanly tells you not to go out without protection, more and more younger Australians will not even sunbathe these days as the message is getting through thank god, I would never even think of sunbathing in the UK TO BE HONEST.:laugh:

true - the old slip, slap slop - so successful they are now saying kids will have vitamin d deficiency as they dont get enough sunlight! but my point was that "protection" in the form of sunscreen is also a worry. i saw a programme that said you would have to wear the equivalent of a thick denim head to toe jumpsuit and hat to protect you from the sun's radiation. can you imagine that here in the summer:biglaugh:

lets face it, most people come to austalia because of the climate - so whats the point in being here if you have to stay indoors most of the time or risk skin cancer???

Guest flipflop
true - the old slip, slap slop - so successful they are now saying kids will have vitamin d deficiency as they dont get enough sunlight! but my point was that "protection" in the form of sunscreen is also a worry. i saw a programme that said you would have to wear the equivalent of a thick denim head to toe jumpsuit and hat to protect you from the sun's radiation. can you imagine that here in the summer:biglaugh:

lets face it, most people come to austalia because of the climate - so whats the point in being here if you have to stay indoors most of the time or risk skin cancer???

You do not have to stay indoors, just do not sunbathe on a sunbed on the beach for anythig more than say an hour a week,

suggest doing lots of research about the area you would move back to and look at local newspapers (via internet) and national ones and get a true, non glossy or rose coloured glasses view of the real UK.. look at Ofsted reports for schools - Uni costs (20k+ sterling) and weigh up what would be the right thing for your kids and not you... sorry its harsh but your job to protect them and make the right decision based on the whole families needs and desires.... good luck.

Be careful saying things like that...You could get crucified, mate!

reminds me of a joke

(those easily offended and the PC look away now)

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Jesus Christ walks into a hotel. He hands the innkeeper three nails, and he asks... Can you put me up for the night?:eek:

Guest flipflop
reminds me of a joke

(those easily offended and the PC look away now)

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Jesus Christ walks into a hotel. He hands the innkeeper three nails, and he asks... Can you put me up for the night?:eek:

Was he going to hang around for a bit then?

Guest John Locke

janieco, I empathize, I really I do...I haven`t lived here quite as long as yourself, but I don`t think anyone can really understand those feelings of displacement, not belonging, unless they feel them themselves...I believe It has nothing to do with the country, it could happen anywhere , and (as the two often get confused, I think) it goes a lot deeper than homesickness!! Homesickness is about missing home, displacement is simply about not belonging...whether you miss home or not

If someone were to say to me that it`s my job to protect my children I would agree wholeheartedly, but I would also add that`s it`s also my job to actually be here for them and provide a happy and stable home...which isn`t going to happen if we stay here.

look at it in reverse...imagine you were in the U.K. and weren`t very happy there...your children weren`t too keen on moving to Oz and relatives were piling on the guilt.... I think i just described a fair amount of those awaiting there visa to Oz!!

You would get some great advice along the lines of 'you have to do what makes you happy.....relatives will eventually understand and kids adapt anywhere as long as you yourself are happy and, ultimately...go for it...you never know until you go etc etc, see what I mean? I would say exactly the same to you!!! You sound like you are in a great postion financially and now really is the time to go...what have you got to lose?

Again, like those flocking here are told ...t doesn`t have to be forever...think of it as an adventure...research, yes...just like those moving to Oz do, some without setting foot on Oz soil before they decide to make it their home...what`s the difference? Compare the cost of everything if you must, but having lived here for this long you know that while A may seem cheap you are getting ripped off by B (on a lighter note, but semi-serious, you could put your kids through Uni on what you`ll save on weekly shopping!!)

Get your eldest interested in England, your homeland, tell your youngest sorry matey, this is what I want and as you are only 5 you`re along for the ride...tell your parents, well you made the decision to bring me out here to start a new life...I now as a parent am making the decision to take them somewhere to start a new life...If I or my wife thought for one minute that our children`s lives would be unbearable in the U.K then we would have to come to some sort of alternative...it will be different, but far from unbearable....when I was in this situation awhile back a member called Burnett responded to my post by entirely reversing everything and ultimately made me realize how blinkered I had been and how I really was just plodding along here for all the wrong reasons...it was my wife who said if we stay here the kids won`t have a dad......such is the effect of displacement and my underlying dislike of living here....

I am definately not going to condescend you with all that rose tinted glasses rubbish as I think there are many moving to Oz who seem just as guilty of wearing them....you are 45, you are in a great position to go and try it out, so go, go home, start living, and then take it from there, see how things go from there....to think that I could stay here for another 20 yrs or so wondering what if this what if that fills me with absolute terror...and then on my deathbed think to myself, jeez, John Locke, what an absolute waste of life, you could have at least tried....I often envision my own children (based on their personalities, who they are, what they`re into) saying thanks for turning into a catatonic zombie on our behalf, dad, but we`re off to Europe....and then the phone call saying...we`re staying here in London, this place is great, why the hell didn`t you bring us back here years ago you old fool?

Those who decide to move to Australia are invariably given a pat on the back....those who want to move to the U.K after a number of years here in Oz are often made to feel like they are doing something wrong...They`re not. I`m not. You`re not...

All the best, janieco, do what you feel is right.

Guest guest30038

i am seeing more and more people driving with gloves on to stop the radiation that comes in through the car window.

Ordinary car window glass filters out about 97% of the UV-B radiation and about 37% of UV-A radiation. It is approximately equivalent to a good sunscreen, which means that if you’re sitting in the sun during a long trip you could still get burnt from the amount of radiation coming through the glass. Laminated windscreens block all of the UV-B radiation and about 80% of the UV-A radiation.

kev

Great post John. u are right mate, we do get slated for wanting to return to our home country. I have aussie mates here who say to me "god I dont know how you can live so far away from your family and familiarity". Then I have pommy mates who are saying "why would you wanna go back there, think of all the reasons you came out in the first place" My reply to both of them are "yeh i cannot stand livin without my family and familiarity, and 2nd I do think of all the reasons i came out here in the 1st place, Better life, more for the kids, nicer weather, better prospects.

better life has not happened for us personally, more for the kids(kids dont like the beach) nicer weather (but they cant run round playing sports etc, cause its too hot) better prospects, both myself and my OH have had to take de-motions in work, so therefore all the reasons we came out here in the first place do not outshine what is back there!!!!!

I think there is good and bad in both countries, but that feeling of displacement ohhh its the worse feeling ever, I work in a retirement village and there is a lady who is 85 and been here 55 years (from London) and she said biggest regret was coming over on that boat, she lives here alone now and always says I want to go home to die!!! (bless her) she walks around singing all the old english songs ("lambath walk") and talks about jellied eels with a tear in her eye!!!!

She always says to me "do it now girl, you will regret it if ya dont"

Our desire to return to the Uk was like a "baking cake" and she done nothing more than put the cherry on the top!!!!!!

I do hope she gets her final wish!!!

Possie x

Guest John Locke

lol, possie, I think of jellied eels with a tear in my eye and I can`t even stomach the things! Better take my roses tinted specs off eh?

look, this is the way I`ve always viewed things......Oz can be a great place to live, it really can and to be honest it`s been good to us...come here, settle, stop comparing, get on with your new life, embracing the Ozzie way, get over homesickness or learn ways in which to deal with it and life can be great..........but, if you never get over that feeling of just not belonging...that half-life, living in a bubble, waiting for something, empty feeling....then you`re never going to be truly happy and in some cases it starts to impact on family.

Also, those who say remember why you came out in the first place.....yes, but then what do you do? Hide out here in some less than happy existence for the rest of your life??

Guest LondonGal

Great posts John, you really have a great way of putting into words how many of us feel.

To Janieco, no one can tell you what is best for for you and your family. You just have to trust your instincts and go from there. You will question whatever decision you make but remember that gut feelings are usually right. You sound like you are in a great position so that is one major worry taken care of, the rest will come naturally if it is meant to be. If not, then Australia will still be here. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest flipflop
Ordinary car window glass filters out about 97% of the UV-B radiation and about 37% of UV-A radiation. It is approximately equivalent to a good sunscreen, which means that if you’re sitting in the sun during a long trip you could still get burnt from the amount of radiation coming through the glass. Laminated windscreens block all of the UV-B radiation and about 80% of the UV-A radiation.

kev

Lorry drivers are urged not to drive with their arms out of the window as the breeze masks the damage being done and they have huge problems with skin cancer, if you think about it they might drive 8 hours a day with their arms getting burned.

Guest sooveroz
You do not have to stay indoors, just do not sunbathe on a sunbed on the beach for anythig more than say an hour a week,

yeah - just stay away from the beaches, the parks and the open spaces and we'll be safe from the sun!

Guest ragdoll annie
yeah - just stay away from the beaches, the parks and the open spaces and we'll be safe from the sun!

Is that a humorous point i spot there?...:wink:.....x

Guest guest30038
Lorry drivers are urged not to drive with their arms out of the window as the breeze masks the damage being done and they have huge problems with skin cancer, if you think about it they might drive 8 hours a day with their arms getting burned.

It's an offence to have your arms out the window unless signalling.................you see feet and all sorts of bogan body parts sticking out in brizzy :biglaugh:

kev

Thank you so much for your response, i feel a lot braver now. Iam doing heaps of investigating and think a holiday to actually check stuff out in person is the first move to make. As for the issue of belonging you are right. All i know is i dont feel comfortable here but when in the U.K. a huge weight is lifted off me and i feel set free. You are so right John, its taboo to even mention to some body you want to go home to the U.K. its met with crys of ''what for, theres nothing there", '' the U.K. is finished never will be the same again" etc. Well lets see what unfolds on my new adventure in life. '' A happy mum is a happy home is a happy child, or some thing like that. Bye for now John.

janieco, I empathize, I really I do...I haven`t lived here quite as long as yourself, but I don`t think anyone can really understand those feelings of displacement, not belonging, unless they feel them themselves...I believe It has nothing to do with the country, it could happen anywhere , and (as the two often get confused, I think) it goes a lot deeper than homesickness!! Homesickness is about missing home, displacement is simply about not belonging...whether you miss home or not

If someone were to say to me that it`s my job to protect my children I would agree wholeheartedly, but I would also add that`s it`s also my job to actually be here for them and provide a happy and stable home...which isn`t going to happen if we stay here.

look at it in reverse...imagine you were in the U.K. and weren`t very happy there...your children weren`t too keen on moving to Oz and relatives were piling on the guilt.... I think i just described a fair amount of those awaiting there visa to Oz!!

You would get some great advice along the lines of 'you have to do what makes you happy.....relatives will eventually understand and kids adapt anywhere as long as you yourself are happy and, ultimately...go for it...you never know until you go etc etc, see what I mean? I would say exactly the same to you!!! You sound like you are in a great postion financially and now really is the time to go...what have you got to lose?

Again, like those flocking here are told ...t doesn`t have to be forever...think of it as an adventure...research, yes...just like those moving to Oz do, some without setting foot on Oz soil before they decide to make it their home...what`s the difference? Compare the cost of everything if you must, but having lived here for this long you know that while A may seem cheap you are getting ripped off by B (on a lighter note, but semi-serious, you could put your kids through Uni on what you`ll save on weekly shopping!!)

Get your eldest interested in England, your homeland, tell your youngest sorry matey, this is what I want and as you are only 5 you`re along for the ride...tell your parents, well you made the decision to bring me out here to start a new life...I now as a parent am making the decision to take them somewhere to start a new life...If I or my wife thought for one minute that our children`s lives would be unbearable in the U.K then we would have to come to some sort of alternative...it will be different, but far from unbearable....when I was in this situation awhile back a member called Burnett responded to my post by entirely reversing everything and ultimately made me realize how blinkered I had been and how I really was just plodding along here for all the wrong reasons...it was my wife who said if we stay here the kids won`t have a dad......such is the effect of displacement and my underlying dislike of living here....

I am definately not going to condescend you with all that rose tinted glasses rubbish as I think there are many moving to Oz who seem just as guilty of wearing them....you are 45, you are in a great position to go and try it out, so go, go home, start living, and then take it from there, see how things go from there....to think that I could stay here for another 20 yrs or so wondering what if this what if that fills me with absolute terror...and then on my deathbed think to myself, jeez, John Locke, what an absolute waste of life, you could have at least tried....I often envision my own children (based on their personalities, who they are, what they`re into) saying thanks for turning into a catatonic zombie on our behalf, dad, but we`re off to Europe....and then the phone call saying...we`re staying here in London, this place is great, why the hell didn`t you bring us back here years ago you old fool?

Those who decide to move to Australia are invariably given a pat on the back....those who want to move to the U.K after a number of years here in Oz are often made to feel like they are doing something wrong...They`re not. I`m not. You`re not...

All the best, janieco, do what you feel is right.

Hi, I think you put that really brilliantly and apologies if my original message was harsh... the only one small minor detail I would mention that Janieco calls UK "home" .... pretty emotive....perhaps leaving UK at the age of 10 and then spending the next 35 years in Australia... is there no happy medium between zombie like state and encouraging the children down their own path... even though we are emigrating to oz I would love my kids to come back to Europe to travel, study (if I can afford it) work here, see their rellies and if they tell me I was a fool to leave I will have to deal with that... perhaps Janieco's post hit a nerve with me because my eldest is 10... I could be setting him up for a life like Janieco, unhappy, displaced etc... who knows if we are doing the right thing but research has to be key surely... the rest is down to all of us to make it work. Good luck Janieco ... I hope all goes well for you.:cool:

Hi jojo68, i hope you get this response iam totally confused trying to navigate this site lol. When we came here to oz in 1974 an i was 10 things were really different. Please dont worry about your 10 year old as i think there experience will be very different to mine. Poms were not well tolerated back then and oz was majorly behind the U.K. Kids in school had no time for poms especially ones with broad scouse accents. We lived in a small oz country town initially and the kids would march up and down the street shouting "poms go home''. My dad had a job waiting here as an engineer as they didnt have the skilled personel ready to go here and i think that caused resentment from some people here. Kids are so different these days and communication/technology vastly different. Iam sure your kids will have a totally different experience to ours, so relax and enjoy.

Archived