So who HAS returned to the UK & been happy?

ezzie

Guest flipflop
not for long you lot, i think you are crazy for coming back to the uk, and after a couple of years you will all regret it, and your poor children have to grow up in this **** hole of a uk.

Maybe its where you live and the way you live your life that makes it feel like a ***hole funkylad, if you feel like that in the UK you will feel the same in Oz.

Good luck with your move.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not for long you lot, i think you are crazy for coming back to the uk, and after a couple of years you will all regret it, and your poor children have to grow up in this **** hole of a uk.

I wont get in to a " *** for tat" thread with you .

I hope Australia is all you wish for .

Personally the UK has its problems , but its far from a " ****hole", and comparable with anywhere else ive ever been !

The only thing **** about the UK is some of the people in it

Guest funkylad

yes you are right about the people in it, they are the problem and there is alot of them, as for were i live, it was a lovely area years ago but just like the rest of the uk, it has got worse every year, and i have been to oz a few times and in MY opinion it is so much better than the uk, any one with young children would get out of the uk asap. if they had any sense, as there is going to be no jobs for them, and they will never be able to afford there own house, take them to oz and let them enjoy themselves. i suppose you are going to feel bitter after moving back here, as deep down you proberly, regret it.

Guest proud2beaussie

There are certainly things about the UK that are less than perfect,and yes there are some people in the UK who cause problems,but every single country in the world has probelms,including Australia,you only need to turn on the television in any country to see the sorts of problems I am talking about,but whilst I love Australia I'm also British born,and proud of it,I adore Australia and I wish every person who came here felt the same,but the reality is that we are all different and what "floats my boat" as the saying goes may not do the same for someone else.

I don't like the thought of people returning to the UK disappointed with Australia but to be honest I would rather they return to the UK and be happy that they gave it a shot rather than stay here,be unhappy and graduallly come to resent Australia and it's people.

There are c**p parts of the UK,there are c**p parts of Australia,but labelling a whole country like that is unneccessary and unfair.

Good luck with your future life.

Good post...I in turn like seeing people happy in Oz and only wish I could be. We went to the Andre Rieu concert last night and the difference between his European audiences and the Australian one were considerable...apart fromt the fact that the Aussies didn't know how to waltz and just stood there doing that 'move one foot, then the other next to it' kind of thing, the whole feel and look was different....and not in a positive way. Great concert though and even Alan Jones pulled it off.

There are certainly things about the UK that are less than perfect,and yes there are some people in the UK who cause problems,but every single country in the world has probelms,including Australia,you only need to turn on the television in any country to see the sorts of problems I am talking about,but whilst I love Australia I'm also British born,and proud of it,I adore Australia and I wish every person who came here felt the same,but the reality is that we are all different and what "floats my boat" as the saying goes may not do the same for someone else.

I don't like the thought of people returning to the UK disappointed with Australia but to be honest I would rather they return to the UK and be happy that they gave it a shot rather than stay here,be unhappy and graduallly come to resent Australia and it's people.

There are c**p parts of the UK,there are c**p parts of Australia,but labelling a whole country like that is unneccessary and unfair.

Good luck with your future life.

yes you are right about the people in it, they are the problem and there is alot of them, as for were i live, it was a lovely area years ago but just like the rest of the uk, it has got worse every year, and i have been to oz a few times and in MY opinion it is so much better than the uk, any one with young children would get out of the uk asap. if they had any sense, as there is going to be no jobs for them, and they will never be able to afford there own house, take them to oz and let them enjoy themselves. i suppose you are going to feel bitter after moving back here, as deep down you proberly, regret it.

Sorry to disappoint you , i had 6 great years over there .....i still have 2 houses there, which i bought from scratch ( no silver spoon or luck for me ).

But pound for pound my little bit of England compares with anywhere.

If i had to choose between the 2 , it would be Solihull ,England every day of the week.

Guest LukeSkywalker
Sorry to disappoint you , i had 6 great years over there .....i still have 2 houses there, which i bought from scratch ( no silver spoon or luck for me ).

But pound for pound my little bit of England compares with anywhere.

If i had to choose between the 2 , it would be Solihull ,England every day of the week.

Solihill is nice. The point is that anywhere NICE is nice. Be it in the UK, Australia or even Peru or Mongolia or Germany etc etc. Nice means nice. The UK just needs radical change. No more immigration. No free handouts to anyone. Clamp down on Islam. Get rid of the celebrity worship. Ban Heat magazine. Its not rocket science. We need to go back to the social values of the 50s and simultaneously expand and regenerate our industries. It can be done.

Guest flipflop

Best place for yo is Oz then......then again with your attitude they will tell you to **** off you whinging pom:biglaugh:

I think it's gone to far for reform in the UK. Much as I love the place, each visit confirms that the UK become two countries - one of villages, green fields, interesting & intelligent people and friendliness, the other of chavs, dirty streets, kids who don't know right from wrong, live off the state and think nothing of downing a bottle or two each night.

It's something I've noticed, but even on Facebook, UK friends are always talking about booze - how they're in the process of drinking, are looking forwards to a drink or have had one too many the night before. I don't get that from Aussie friends even though I always think the Aussies have a big reputation for the booze. I was a bit shocked when over in the UK in November to see pubs full and spilling onto the street with people boozing at 10am!!!! I wonder if it happens here in Oz as I've never seen it.

Solihill is nice. The point is that anywhere NICE is nice. Be it in the UK, Australia or even Peru or Mongolia or Germany etc etc. Nice means nice. The UK just needs radical change. No more immigration. No free handouts to anyone. Clamp down on Islam. Get rid of the celebrity worship. Ban Heat magazine. Its not rocket science. We need to go back to the social values of the 50s and simultaneously expand and regenerate our industries. It can be done.

Guest LukeSkywalker
I think it's gone to far for reform in the UK. Much as I love the place, each visit confirms that the UK become two countries - one of villages, green fields, interesting & intelligent people and friendliness, the other of chavs, dirty streets, kids who don't know right from wrong, live off the state and think nothing of downing a bottle or two each night.

It's something I've noticed, but even on Facebook, UK friends are always talking about booze - how they're in the process of drinking, are looking forwards to a drink or have had one too many the night before. I don't get that from Aussie friends even though I always think the Aussies have a big reputation for the booze. I was a bit shocked when over in the UK in November to see pubs full and spilling onto the street with people boozing at 10am!!!! I wonder if it happens here in Oz as I've never seen it.

I think everything can be reformed. I have to say, one thing I noticed recently in OZ is how many UK Chavs have moved to Perth. Hate to say it but it reminded me of Margate - whereas when I lived there 20 years ago it was truly wonderful.

A friend of mine (professor of polulation studies) told me recently that throughout history 90% of migrants have been the low achievers/lower echelons of a country. I'm beginning to see what she means. (Not aimed at anyone incidentally).

I think everything can be reformed. I have to say, one thing I noticed recently in OZ is how many UK Chavs have moved to Perth. Hate to say it but it reminded me of Margate - whereas when I lived there 20 years ago it was truly wonderful.

A friend of mine (professor of polulation studies) told me recently that throughout history 90% of migrants have been the low achievers/lower echelons of a country. I'm beginning to see what she means. (Not aimed at anyone incidentally).

throughout history 96% of people would of been convicts

then followed by those looking for a better life

People who are well off have way more to lose by making a move, so i guess they stay put!

Guest richardbest

I come to australia for 1 month every 12 months - for 12 years - so have seen the truth behind the reality that the UK is deteriorating as a country. Clearly, lots of people would say that australia has a lot of problems too, but the gap is widening. It's definitely the case. We're happy living in the UK as life depends on things like friends, interests, work etc..

Australia is so big that any question as to whether to return to the UK might lead to a question about whether to relocate within australia. South East Queensland is such a different place from Sydney. family, personal, and financial considerations all being equal, then Australia is the best of the two countries in terms of Quality of life. But that's me speaking as someone in my 40's. Clearly, there are loads of people living in both countries that are contented and retired people will have different issues

we know a lot of ozzies here who came from the uk many years ago (15 upwards) - they all regard themselves as australian - that's my goal as it's impossible to live in two places at once - they've made the right decision im sure as none of them would dream of returning permanently.

Guest pegasus 90

Funky Lad, I think you may be looking at Oz through rose tinted glasses mate. We have the same issues here: high unemployment for those 16-18 yr olds, lack of apprenticeships, university education with average degrees at $36'000 (compared to 9000 quid), and house prices of $400 - $500'000.......sound familiar ?????

I agree that yes; we have big houses, yes; we have the sunshine; but Utopia it ain't.

Guest pegasus 90

Have to disagree, the statement is far too broad. It will all depend on what kind of migrant you are. i agree that refugee migrants etc may fit into this group, but I've been here nearly 10 years & I haven't met any European migrants who are on their arse begging for handouts. I'm not saying that only European migrants succeed (I just don't have much exposure to the others).

If anything I believe that people who have took it upon themselves to travel to a foreign country are usually highly motivated.

Guest funkymonkey

Surely you can't believe that children in Australia will be able to afford their own home...have you seen the prices here?? There is also a considerable amount of concern about youth unemployment and future job prospects for the children here too.. Wake Up and smell the coffee...there are the same problems being faced by many countries and some countries also have other challenges...check out youth suicide rates and road fatalities in Australia!

Spot on ......we need another Winston to put this place in order .

The UK isnt finished. The vast majority of people are still decent ,hard working people.

What we have here is "too "much freedom,especially for the young.

Yes iam proud to live in a democracy,but there has to be limits,and some boundaries for the young.

You are right about Islam ,the defined aim is global control .

I touched on this in an earlier post.....just watch Iran & Israel ....thats where all prophecy is directed.

Which prophesy in particular.... there's been a few!

Spot on ......we need another Winston to put this place in order .

The UK isnt finished. The vast majority of people are still decent ,hard working people.

What we have here is "too "much freedom,especially for the young.

Yes iam proud to live in a democracy,but there has to be limits,and some boundaries for the young.

You are right about Islam ,the defined aim is global control .

I touched on this in an earlier post.....just watch Iran & Israel ....thats where all prophecy is directed.

Guest funkylad

ok, ok, yes i do realise the house prices in oz also uk, but i would rather my children struggle in oz than the uk. but we will give our all 100% to make a good life for us all, and make new friends. good luck to you all.

Guest pegasus 90
ok, ok, yes i do realise the house prices in oz also uk, but i would rather my children struggle in oz than the uk. but we will give our all 100% to make a good life for us all, and make new friends. good luck to you all.

Funky Lad, please don't think I am trying to dissuade you from emigrating. Far from it, 9 years ago my mind was made up and no one could talk me out of it.But I went back to U.K in August (1st time in 6 years) & I have to say that Oz is protrayed in a certain light over there that isn't necessarily accurate. The media concentrate on the positive and never on the negative aspects of Australia (the complete reverse of the British media!).

Anyway go for it, I thoroughly recommend it ,just don't cut off all ties as look at me; 9 yrs down the line and planning to go back.

Guest lottiep

We landed back in the UK two months ago and are loving it. Just feeling the land beneath my feet again.....home. We spent six years in Melbourne and the whole time I felt displaced and everything was hard work...always felt like I was slightly off kilter, walking through mud. Made friends, worked, had a baby, renovated house but really just going through the motions.

Since coming back here, it's like I've come alive again. We have a smaller house, smaller car, less money but I don't care. I am free and the weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I love walking everywhere, wrapping up warm, politeness, greenery, quality TV!, cosy rooms, good driving, friendliness of people, sense of humour, being part of Europe, pubs, accents, shops.....

I don't miss the macho culture, the bush, terrible driving, cliques, awful TV, heat, boredom, 4 wheel drives everywhere, 'aussie battler', dumbing down, comparing how big your block is, Australia being" the best country in the world"........

However, I can understand that that is just my take and eveyone thinks differently and most people love it there.....but God, it is good to be back, fills my heart with so much joy. Bring on a gorgeous, cold Christmas!!!

Hi funkylad thanks for generating some interesting posts. As a pom thats been here 35 years since age 10 and still wants to 'go home' i think there are far reaching ramifications for children who have no choice but to tag along for the ride. I dont know your kids ages but i cant stress enough to be mindful of their feelings. My parents came here Oz in 1974, my dad was an engineer and was getting nowhere in the U.K. worked shifts, paid a mortgage never had a holiday etc. He decided enough was enough. As an adult with kids and all that it entails i can see and admire were he was comming from. So off we went just the 4 of us, dad, mum, brother and myself. All other family stayed in the U.K. My mum, brother and myself hated it here. All that was familiar was wiped out. The economy here was in good shape and the money brought over from the U.K. was exchanged at 60p to an oz dollar. He was still somewhat behind but we bought a house and he had a well paying job, but still a mortgage still just getting by. When we would voice that we wanted to go home he would explain that the U.K. was a bad, dangerous place filling with all sorts of undesirebles from around the world and a population of its own only too ready to rip off the system and get free housing, colour t.v's, etc. and never any intention of working again plus breeding at a rate of knots so this situation was the future of the U.K. and we could never return to live, all that we longed for was gone. My mum and i returned for holidays 3 times and we felt the same, we just wanted to go home, it never changed. So fast forward 35 years and were are we at now. My mum still wants to go home at 71 years old, my dad is still terrified of the u,k. at 70 years old. My parents own their home, 2 cars , and have no money in reserve and live on their pensions. My brother is 42 years old with 4 kids a uni degree and renting a home living on government assistance and iam 45years old and have 2 kids and own my own home. So the question is was it a fabulous out come was it worth being isolated cut off from all other family and all experiences of family life that weave the rich tapestry of life? Would this update 35 years down the track be reading the same if we had stayed in the U.K.?? I suspect it would. The poeple we are destined to be no matter were we live will all ways be just that. Some make good others dont. Iam going home next year with my kids and will they be writing on an " ozzies in u.k" site pondering the same questions in another 35 years??????????? If your at peace then to me thats when you know you made the right choice. Good luck to you and your family.

We landed back in the UK two months ago and are loving it. Just feeling the land beneath my feet again.....home. We spent six years in Melbourne and the whole time I felt displaced and everything was hard work...always felt like I was slightly off kilter, walking through mud. Made friends, worked, had a baby, renovated house but really just going through the motions.

Since coming back here, it's like I've come alive again. We have a smaller house, smaller car, less money but I don't care. I am free and the weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I love walking everywhere, wrapping up warm, politeness, greenery, quality TV!, cosy rooms, good driving, friendliness of people, sense of humour, being part of Europe, pubs, accents, shops.....

I don't miss the macho culture, the bush, terrible driving, cliques, awful TV, heat, boredom, 4 wheel drives everywhere, 'aussie battler', dumbing down, comparing how big your block is, Australia being" the best country in the world"........

However, I can understand that that is just my take and eveyone thinks differently and most people love it there.....but God, it is good to be back, fills my heart with so much joy. Bring on a gorgeous, cold Christmas!!!

Hi lottiep thanks for your post i just had to laugh at the "comparing of how big is your block" its an obsession here lol Where have you returned to in the U.K. it sounds lovely? Iam going back to the Wirral over the next 2 years and it will be perminently, after 35 years here, every body thinks iam mad lol but i cant wait to wake up their every day and just drown in the Britishness of it all, been an empty 35 years to many. Keep enjoying it all xxxx

Guest lottiep

Hi janieco,

Good luck with the move home! We are in Sussex which is a lovely part of the world, although very expensive...hence small house!! I'm sure you'll love being back as much as we do x

Guest funkylad

hi, and thanks lottiep, for a nice post, we are all looking forward to it, my kids are 13 and 10, also my wifes sister is moving out, so that will help my wife settle, also we have a few friends that have already emigrated, so that will help to, all the best to you and your family aswell. i will speak again when im in oz. to let you all no how we are getting on.

Sounds brilliant lottiep....great to hear you've found your little patch of England again...where is your little patch of England anyway. Has the weather, chavs, yoof problems etc, etc not marred your joy in any way?

Archived