Left Yesterday

20yrspommie

Hi All

I cant believe we have finally done it, we three of us left sydney yesterday after 20 years . we are now in HKG for three days on way to UK, it was emotionally exhausting especially the last week or so . You have so much to do as well as all the goodbyes , I think I totally underestimated hard it would be and I did feel really sad as we left the airport. Have had plenty of tears in the last week , so I just felt the need to share that with others who are on a similar journey.

I have had moments where i just wanted to cancel the whole move but we are on our way now and hard as it was to leave I know this is something we have to do and now was the time. In my case the unsettled feelings were getting stronger pver the last couple of years and I didnt want to end up hating Australia and the life we had there. We are looking at the move as a new adventure and a opportunity to spend time with family before its too late.

We dont have jobs to go to or a house but our stuff is in the 40ft container on its way !!!

I am sure first few weeks, months or year will have its challenges but here we go bring it on and I will let you know how it goes good and bad :yes:

Good luck 20yearspommie...hope it works out for the three of you...I would be very interested how you go with regards to settling back in the UK and other more practical issues like credit rating finding rental/schools?.......how your friends/family are now you are back and all that stuff.

OO are ya.

Guest LondonGal

Good luck with your new life!! Hope it all works out for you.

I too will be interested to hear how you get on with all the practicalities once you arrive. I have been in Oz half the time as you and the move back seems daunting for me, I can't imagine what it would be like if I had been here 20 years.:eek:

Enjoy your break in HKG.

All the best - I've been 14 years and leave in December this year after dogs have cleared the AQIS quarantine thing over here. Putting house on market either next month or October. Its all very nerve wracking but I can't wait. I am moving to Llandudno where mum lives and my brother has recently moved to Liverpool so I will be able to see him loads too....can't believe I've been here "familyless" for 14 years. 14 streesful unhappy (the majority of time too) what was I thinking.

Anyway I sincerely hope everything slots into place for you.

Thanks everyone

we are heading to Leicestershire , where my family live and hope to live in a village somewhere close to the school . I am glad we had this stopover its good to have a chance to relax , our dog who has done the six month stuff leaves on monday so hoping that all goes okay , fingers crossed

Guest treesea

Good luck with your move home. I was away for 20 years before coming back, and, much as I liked,Australia, and still have days when I miss it, I'm glad we came back.

All the best - I've been 14 years and leave in December this year after dogs have cleared the AQIS quarantine thing over here. Putting house on market either next month or October. Its all very nerve wracking but I can't wait. I am moving to Llandudno where mum lives and my brother has recently moved to Liverpool so I will be able to see him loads too....can't believe I've been here "familyless" for 14 years. 14 streesful unhappy (the majority of time too) what was I thinking.

Anyway I sincerely hope everything slots into place for you.

Drove through North wales on thursday through Flintshire to LLANSANAN ........beautiful

ps if someone knows how to load up pictures ,can they let me know and i will post them

Thanks everyone

we are heading to Leicestershire , where my family live and hope to live in a village somewhere close to the school . I am glad we had this stopover its good to have a chance to relax , our dog who has done the six month stuff leaves on monday so hoping that all goes okay , fingers crossed

Best of luck mate .......that is said with all sincerity........the world is your lobster ! ( as Delboy would say )

Drove through North wales on thursday through Flintshire to LLANSANAN ........beautiful

ps if someone knows how to load up pictures ,can they let me know and i will post them

I'm not sure about uploading photos - I managed on my login thingy but that's all - I hope someone can help so I can see your photos.

Just a shame that there hasn't been much of a Summer in UK this year. Never mind, I've had my lifetime's share of sunshine over here - sometimes far too much - today is a nice Spring day - forecasted to be 27 degrees which is about the max before I feel uncomfortable. It's nice and fresh at the moment and the sunshine is fairly 'weak' (10am Sunday) if there is such a thing over here - but no rain forecast all next week - none last and none week before - think another El Nino has started - at least I had a reprieve of drought and managed to grow a lovely English Cottage garden at the front of my house this Winter - looks lovely and first time I've succeeded as my front garden is sloping and north/west facing so gets extremely hot and not much will grow.

I see you are from Solihull - I am originally from Redditch - remember taking my driving test in Solihull (and failing!) many years ago!!

Guest ElizaBee

Wish you and all others moving back the very best.

Hope it all goes smoothly and you can enjoy your precious time with your family.

Remember you did it once before so this time it will be a breeze!!! lol

Enjoy Hong Kong.

We have been here 12 years and getting the house ready to sell, hopefully we'll put it on the market in the next couple of weeks and be heading back Feb.

I've had the "what was i thinking moments " too, Fantasia!!

Like others have said before, this whole experience will hopefully make us appreciate what we have in the UK a whole lot more. xx

Wish you and all others moving back the very best.

Hope it all goes smoothly and you can enjoy your precious time with your family.

Remember you did it once before so this time it will be a breeze!!! lol

Enjoy Hong Kong.

We have been here 12 years and getting the house ready to sell, hopefully we'll put it on the market in the next couple of weeks and be heading back Feb.

I've had the "what was i thinking moments " too, Fantasia!!

Like others have said before, this whole experience will hopefully make us appreciate what we have in the UK a whole lot more. xx

Remember it will be wet,cold,dark,busy when you get home......and thats just the summer LOL

Guest ElizaBee

But we're heading back around February time, Bunbury. Weather should be just about perfect then shouldn't it? lol

Guest pegasus 90

All the best 20yrspommie, I'm glad to see that other people are making the leap!. I have been over here 9 yrs and planning to go back next year sometime (so a bit nervous).

I hope all works out for you & family, keep sending your posts and some of us would like to hear how you progress.

P90

But we're heading back around February time, Bunbury. Weather should be just about perfect then shouldn't it? lol

Dark,wet,cold,busy,traffic .......iam institutionalised now !- why have you had enough after 9 years? - hope you dont mind me asking.....

ps After france, germany and japan last week .....they reckon the uk is starting to come out of the recession......sky news

ps if you need to know anything ,or if i can help just ask - Andy

Guest guest12791
Hi All

I cant believe we have finally done it, we three of us left sydney yesterday after 20 years . we are now in HKG for three days on way to UK, it was emotionally exhausting especially the last week or so . You have so much to do as well as all the goodbyes , I think I totally underestimated hard it would be and I did feel really sad as we left the airport. Have had plenty of tears in the last week , so I just felt the need to share that with others who are on a similar journey.

I have had moments where i just wanted to cancel the whole move but we are on our way now and hard as it was to leave I know this is something we have to do and now was the time. In my case the unsettled feelings were getting stronger pver the last couple of years and I didnt want to end up hating Australia and the life we had there. We are looking at the move as a new adventure and a opportunity to spend time with family before its too late.

We dont have jobs to go to or a house but our stuff is in the 40ft container on its way !!!

I am sure first few weeks, months or year will have its challenges but here we go bring it on and I will let you know how it goes good and bad :yes:

good luck with everything, annemarie x

Archived