Woods interviews

lynne1266

Hi Ladies, I have been over here for the last 6 months, & would just iike to let you know that it is NOT easy to find work on a 457 visa I am applying for at least 3 to 5 jobs daily without sucess & my other fiends who are also here are finding it very HARD also, part time work here is VERY rare!!! Also qualifications which we have done in the uk are not the same here. The work that I have been offered is full time & in the city, which we kids is very difficult!!! Childcare is very very expensive. I didn't think that it would have been this hard to find work. Bring as much stuff you can as things here are not cheap, it is very hard to survive on woods salary if you are a family, make sure you bring as much money you can as the 1st 6 months you spend a lot!!! But apart ftom that it is very nice living here & lots to do, my chldren have settlered well but will warn you it is NOT Easy.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hearne_Family
Hi Ladies, I have been over here for the last 6 months, & would just iike to let you know that it is NOT easy to find work on a 457 visa I am applying for at least 3 to 5 jobs daily without sucess & my other fiends who are also here are finding it very HARD also, part time work here is VERY rare!!! Also qualifications which we have done in the uk are not the same here. The work that I have been offered is full time & in the city, which we kids is very difficult!!! Childcare is very very expensive. I didn't think that it would have been this hard to find work. Bring as much stuff you can as things here are not cheap, it is very hard to survive on woods salary if you are a family, make sure you bring as much money you can as the 1st 6 months you spend a lot!!! But apart ftom that it is very nice living here & lots to do, my chldren have settlered well but will warn you it is NOT Easy.

Hey where are you living? What branch is your hubby working at?

Terry

Guest Hearne_Family
why do you want to know what branch my hubby works in? As I would rather not say as I don't know you & all your posts seem to be rather poitive about woods.

Calm down, it was just a friendly question, there are a few of us who get together for drinks and if you were local I was going to invite you along, dont worry about it though.

Terry.

Calm down, it was just a friendly question, there are a few of us who get together for drinks and if you were local I was going to invite you along, dont worry about it though.

Terry.

This all sounds familiar doesn't it Terry ??? !!!!!

Maybe 1 n the same ??

sorry, sorry never meant to upset you! as i am new to poms & have been reading all the posts & as i was just telling the ladies the truth about how hard it is to find work & how woods are not the best co in oz to work for & as I don't know you, thought that woods might be paying you to say positive things about them. I feel that people coming over really need to know that it is hard to survive on 1 wage & if I known that I would have made sure i was pr before coming.

Guest Hearne_Family
sorry, sorry never meant to upset you! as i am new to poms & have been reading all the posts & as i was just telling the ladies the truth about how hard it is to find work & how woods are not the best co in oz to work for & as I don't know you, thought that woods might be paying you to say positive things about them. I feel that people coming over really need to know that it is hard to survive on 1 wage & if I known that I would have made sure i was pr before coming.

I am not paid by Woods to say good things about them, believe it or not there are people who work for them who enjoy it!

As for becoming PR before you come over...well that was your choice, you were told the wages you would be earning, a small bit of research would have told you the cost of living here. I personally find that myself, my wife and 2 children (soon to be three children) can get by on the wage I am paid by Woods. My wife does not work so we are on a single income.

Well I guess as you are so sceptical of me there is not a chance of meeting you so all the best, enjoy your time out here and good luck.

Terry.

To people bring kids just stock up on trainers underwear jeans, go to primark & bring lots of stuff as it is expensive here. Ship everything, the biggest shock to us was the cost of furniture electrical items, I just wish I shipped all my stuff as the cost far outways what it would have cost to ship. 2nd cars keep their money & you can't buy a cheap motor here.

wow I finally found someone who likes working for woods!!! ARE you being honest about surving on woods salary? as we have 3 children (teenages) & was shocked at the $7,000 I had to pay for school books & uniforms, I did do my research but wish someone had advised me to get pr before coming as we would have had some help, you get no help on 457 visa. The friends I have made have all said as soon as they have pr they will all be off as woods conditions are very poor & bad for your health

Guest Hearne_Family
To people bring kids just stock up on trainers underwear jeans, go to primark & bring lots of stuff as it is expensive here. Ship everything, the biggest shock to us was the cost of furniture electrical items, I just wish I shipped all my stuff as the cost far outways what it would have cost to ship. 2nd cars keep their money & you can't buy a cheap motor here.

Have you got a car sorted yet?

wow I finally found someone who likes working for woods!!! ARE you being honest about surving on woods salary? as we have 3 children (teenages) & was shocked at the $7,000 I had to pay for school books & uniforms, I did do my research but wish someone had advised me to get pr before coming as we would have had some help, you get no help on 457 visa. The friends I have made have all said as soon as they have pr they will all be off as woods conditions are very poor & bad for your health

U have 2 buy uniform in UK 2 u know !!

This is sounding all too familiar...."Tweedledee"

I will point out the same 2 u as I did 2 him....I have done my research and do know what i'm doing.

I have spoken to people in Melbourne who have got jobs on a 457 and don't think that in my line of work there will be that much of a problem when and if I decide to work.

Surely you knew how much ur "OH" would b earning and should not have assumed that u would get a job straight away and that should have been aiming to live on just 1 wage for the first 6-12 mths if only to get ur children settled 1st

oh lyn just wait & see I never said that it was cr*p here our car was cr*p. I like living here I just wish I knew how expensive it was going to be, yes I had to buy uniform in the uk but we had primark & cheap shops, there are no cheap shops here. The woods wages do not stetch very far with a family all you have had is poitive stuff said about woods my children are teenages & are used to me working, all I am saying is that woods are not that great. I am not trying to be horrible just realistic, you don't have to take any advise, woods is like stepping back 15 years & they say at lot that they don't keep up with. You have children & was just wanting you to be aware of the things you have to buy & school fees.

Our schools in the UK have their own uniforms which have 2 be purchased through the school or uniform shops so it wont b any different and it was pointed out in the interview about the cost of schools.

I thought it was ur OH not u working for woods ??

From what I have been told u can transfer 457 easier now so u could always move companies.

Your posts r getting more and more negative

You are sounding 2 much like someone else at the moment !!

By the way if u have scoured through all the posts and also know all about me and the fact I have children....u should know my name is LYNNE not LYN

Guest GillianM

Now Now!!! Everyone is allowed to post their own views on Woods, good and bad. I will be coming over on a PR Visa, and will have 2 children with me, 1 going to school the other 18. We know my OHs salary at Woods and know someone who has lived in Melbourne for 17 years and she has explained all the costs of things and has said we should be able to survive on his wage, until my daughter settles in school then i can find a job. We will have money from sale of house for back up if we need it. If you are good at your job then you should get a wage rise after 3 months? I have heard from other posts on here that clothes and electrical appliances are more expensive over there but i know that and will have money to buy things to furnish my rental. I think if you are sensible with your money and not throwing it about then you should manage, to start of with you'll need to spend alot of money. It may be hard to begin with but then should get better, lifes what you make it and if your family all stick together it will work. Terry and his family went over with $10,000 dollars and have managed no problem and loving it there, and his wife Rachael dosnt work, she looks after the kids, and Terry enjoys working with Woods and doing very well there.

Gillian

Guest Hearne_Family

Firstly I find it VERY insulting that you are questioning weather I am being honest or not, I have no reason what so ever to lie, I have been here over a year and if there was reason to, I could walk away at any point, the thing is there is no reason to walk, I am doing well at work and enjoy living here, so please what ever you do DO NOT question my honesty again.

As for the friends you have made seems like their attitude is rubbing off on you, why dont you make up your own mind insted of having it made up by others?

If you had done your research before you came here you would have known that you get no centrelink help and that you have to pay for schooling on a 457, also if its so hard on a 457 why dont you go for PR now? If you want I can put you in touch with some people who have gone from 457 to PR on their own at a cost of around $4,000.

Terry.

hey ang, you heard any news on the visa? im just waiting on my last reference then can apply. I dont mind really where i live with been a sinlge man and no children, i thought about maybe house sharing close to whichever branch im placed at.Goodluck with it all

Hey Karl,have you got your ref bk yet? I emailed Biance last wk and she sent bk saying that the 1st part of visa being the nomination has been passed,now its just waitin for visa to get granted.hoping to hear back from them this week(fingers crossed).

thank you gillian EVERYONE has a different opion, I wasn't saying don't come that we hate it here as we don't all I was saying is bring as much stuff as you can & stock up on kids clothes etc my oh doesn't mind working for woods, he was just shocked at the poor working conditiond & how they need to spend some money on new equipment. It is a big challenge as a family I don't regret what we have done, am not getting more negative, its not easy here. I will get some other english I have met to come on here & share their tales.

Guest Hearne_Family
thank you gillian EVERYONE has a different opion, I wasn't saying don't come that we hate it here as we don't all I was saying is bring as much stuff as you can & stock up on kids clothes etc my oh doesn't mind working for woods, he was just shocked at the poor working conditiond & how they need to spend some money on new equipment. It is a big challenge as a family I don't regret what we have done, am not getting more negative, its not easy here. I will get some other english I have met to come on here & share their tales.

Everyone does have an opinion but its all how you convey it, coming accross as a doom merchant does not help, there was nothing positive in your 1st post and you got on the back foot when I made enquiries as to what branch hubby works at and where you live, when I was mearly making an effort to see if you guys fancied meeting up. To top it all off you questioned weather I was paid by Woods to promote them on here and weather I was being dishonest when I said that we get by on one wage.

For the Record:

NOTHING I SAY ON THESE FORUMS IS THE OPINION OF WOODS THEMSELVES ITS MY OPINIONS AND FEELINGS, WOODS DO NOT PAY ME TO SAY NICE THINGS ABOUT THEM!

Please do invite others on to share their experiences, a balanced view is a good thing but I dont see why there is a problem with names and branch locations not being shared in the public forum? Staying anonymous will make people suspicious of you and your true agenda on these forums.

Terry.

Touchy, touchy, touchy LYNNE, Can't people have their own opion, yes I had to buy uniform but like I said we could get the most from primark, asda, tesco, I did do our research, but no amount of research can prepare you. We had met lots of fantastic australian people here, there is lots to do as a family, I just didn't realise how hard it would be to find local part time work. And was just tryi ng to give a bit of advice about bringing what you can over as when you compare prices , it breaks your heart. I feel very sad that you don't allow other folks to voice their opions.

Hey Ang. No still waiting for it but no news is good news id say. I should have it by the endd of the week.So should have my visa app in before the end of the month.Congratulations on passing the the 1 part. Im just looking at places to live atm, Im going to house share i think as it will be cheaper to set off with and also give me a chance to meet people other than those i work with. I dont reall mind where i live just as long as its close to work and clean.

Archived