Woods interviews

lynne1266

Hey Gillian, thanks for that, no I havent heard anything yet but it has only been 3 week since i lodged my application. Im looking at house sharing as i will be coming over on my own. Im probably going to go to a hostel 1 week and im there and then go look at house shares that i have sorted out over here before i leave. as i imagine they will want to meet me before they say yes. I have been looking at prices and areas butt it all depends on where i will be working, does you oh know which brfanch he will placed. Another reason i looked at house sharing was it gives me chance to meet people and thought it would be less financially as I will only need to furnish a room (even some of these come furnished). I also thought this way i could maybe try a few diff areas to give me an idea of whats what before i rented on my own furhter down the line

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hearne_Family
Hey Gillian, thanks for that, no I havent heard anything yet but it has only been 3 week since i lodged my application. Im looking at house sharing as i will be coming over on my own. Im probably going to go to a hostel 1 week and im there and then go look at house shares that i have sorted out over here before i leave. as i imagine they will want to meet me before they say yes. I have been looking at prices and areas butt it all depends on where i will be working, does you oh know which brfanch he will placed. Another reason i looked at house sharing was it gives me chance to meet people and thought it would be less financially as I will only need to furnish a room (even some of these come furnished). I also thought this way i could maybe try a few diff areas to give me an idea of whats what before i rented on my own furhter down the line

Hi Karl,

House sharing is a very good idea for you, there are always house shares advertised online and in the local papers, and as you say financially it works out better with the average price being around $160 p/w, which in most cases includes bills. It is also a great way to meet other people and get a good social network up together which will be essential if you are here on your own.

Just as a side note, dont get too worried about the visa, three weeks is no time at all, let us know when you get it either on here or on FB.

Terry

Hey Terry, thanks for the pm. Yeah thats what i thought about building up a social network other than work related. I go the gym over here 5 times a week and play rugby ( will not be doing this in oz... Kill the pom lol) I had been looking on http://www.domain.au and http://www.realestate.au for house shares to set off with then being agents thought it best to start with one of them and go from there. I will let you know for sure as soon as i hear bout my visa. the pound is doing slightly beter against the dollar atm so long may it continue as i will get more for my money. Hows the new position going?

Regards Karl

Guest Hearne_Family

Hi Karl,

I guess if you want security on your house share then using an agent is probably the way to go, if you wanted to look privately then also try gumtree.

I did notice that the pound is picking up a bit at the moment, thats good news for you guys just coming out, I would have been stuffed if it was this low when I moved out.

The new position is going great, busy trying to get my head round new aspects of the job but getting there.

Terry.

Hey all, I set a moneycorp account up last week and have just applied for a bank account with Nab. They seem pretty good and moneycorp recommend them.They will have my card ready to use when i go pick it up from the branch so i thought this would be better than usuing my u debitcard. Does anyone else bank or going to bank with Nab?

Hi all.not been on for a while,jst trying to get head around things and get organised.Our house is going on market in next couple of weeks,so fingers crossed we strike lucky and get a buyer right way.Not opened bank accounts yet,but should be in the next week.Are Woods ok about using there address in Melbourne as we want to ship any goods over as soon as we are able ,so kids dont need to wait toooo long for there toys etc once we get there.Still undecided about SA or Emirates,think Emirates may sway us as it's a direct flight from Glasgow to Dubai.Can anyone tell me whats the tog rating we should be looking to buy for duvets and is a Queensize in aus the same as our Kingsize!!! Fingers crossed we'll over there with the rest of uz in Sept!!!!!!!

Speak soon

Angie xx

Guest GillianM

Hey Karl, weve got NAB accounts and are using moneycorp.

Angie, weve booked with SA, read so many great reports about them and their airbus A380, weve picked our seats on the upperdeck as weve been told to due to more room and quieter. I like the fact that we get a stop at London, and singapore. We can strech our legs and Singapore airport supposed to be great. We fly over on 1st Aug. Its all go now lol hectic getting things ready as we move out our house next friday. Ive been reading alot of folk say to get a rental with heating as they are cold in evenings. Terry what you think??

Gillian

Guest Hearne_Family
Hey Karl, weve got NAB accounts and are using moneycorp.

Angie, weve booked with SA, read so many great reports about them and their airbus A380, weve picked our seats on the upperdeck as weve been told to due to more room and quieter. I like the fact that we get a stop at London, and singapore. We can strech our legs and Singapore airport supposed to be great. We fly over on 1st Aug. Its all go now lol hectic getting things ready as we move out our house next friday. Ive been reading alot of folk say to get a rental with heating as they are cold in evenings. Terry what you think??

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

Most places will have some form of heating, we have a unit in the living room but thats it, we have small plug in heaters that we have in the bedrooms, it does get chilly of an evening and 1st thing in the morning.

In regards to the A380, Emirates and Qantas both have the A380 in their fleets too, its a lovely aircraft and felt really smooth when I was on it, I sat upstairs and didnt have any complaints at all, Singapore Airlines were great and I would recommend them.

Terry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GillianM

Hey all, just got email today saying Austin will be working at the Caulfield Branch, the only branch that do waterbased paint seemingly. Now then, where around that area is nice to live?? want shops, transport and school near by. Would like to be near beach but not too bothered if its too expensive.

Gillian

Guest Hearne_Family
Hey all, just got email today saying Austin will be working at the Caulfield Branch, the only branch that do waterbased paint seemingly. Now then, where around that area is nice to live?? want shops, transport and school near by. Would like to be near beach but not too bothered if its too expensive.

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

As you know I was supposed to go there myself but plans changed, the foreman there is a guy called Darren, he is a real nice bloke, Im sure Austin will do well there. Good luck.

Terry.

Guest GillianM

Hey Terry, where you off to next then? Just wondering what suburbs are nice to live around that area? staying at my sisters now, its fine but just want to finish work and move over now.

Gillian

Guest Hearne_Family
Hey Terry, where you off to next then? Just wondering what suburbs are nice to live around that area? staying at my sisters now, its fine but just want to finish work and move over now.

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

I am staying at Kew now, not moving on as originally planned! When do you get here?

Gillian

I'm very jealous !!!!!

I hope it won't be too long for us now the application for British Citizenship has been approved. He's just got to go for the Citizenship Ceremony Sept time and then apply for the passport (min 6wks for 1st one now !!) then we'll start the process for OZ !!!

Lynne xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. My visa was granted yesterday, I got the email this morning. Im over the moon. I am going to wait till after christmas now though rather than rush and try and get there just before. My gran really aint so well so my family and i decided that 1 las tbig family christmas is in order. So i am going to look at flights and book for the end of january soon.

Guest Hearne_Family

Good news Karl, Look forward to meeting you when you get here, enjoy the last few months in the UK!

Terry.

Hey Karl.congrats on gettn ur visa.Woooooohooooooo.Its a brilliant feeln isn't it.:biggrin: Our house is going on the market on Monday,so fingers x'd we wont wait to long.It'll fly by b4 u know it ,it'll be January.

Speak soon

Angie

Hey all. My visa was granted yesterday, I got the email this morning. Im over the moon. I am going to wait till after christmas now though rather than rush and try and get there just before. My gran really aint so well so my family and i decided that 1 las tbig family christmas is in order. So i am going to look at flights and book for the end of january soon.

CONGRATULATIONS KARL !!!!!!

Hopefully we won't be that far behind you :biggrin:

Lynne xx

Guest GillianM

Congratulations Karl, Its a great feeling when your visa is granted. We fly over 4 weeks this sunday....getting ecxited and cant wait to get there now. Last day at my work today and have a few nights out planned before we move. Be good for us all to meet up once were all there xxxxxP.S Chris from ATC hasn't been in touch yet regarding rentals...hope hes not too long in leaving it, getting a tad worried!

Gillian

Guest GillianM

Hi all, just wondering hows ur plans coming along? Well we fly over 3 wks on Sunday.....not long x

Mark and Michelle hows life in Melbourne then and hows Cranbourne? is it North South u r? Just starting to look at areas now, Chris sais itl prob be Cranbourne or Berwick as there is more rentals there and hes used to dealing with these areas. Was looking at Frankston South but not alot of rentals i liked there on real estate. Just scanned and emailed all the docs he wanted and printed off the form for paying the bond and weeks rent. Just waiting on hearing from Chris now. Got email from Crystal today outlining whats happening over the 2 days once we arrive. Hey! when do we sleep lol we'll be walking round like zombies lol She mentioned taking us to rent a car but will we better buying?

Oh! Terry what streets are nearer the secondary schools for my 14 year old? any recomendations? any good areas in Berwick?

Gillian x

Gillian x

Guest markandmichelle

Hi Gillian we are in Cranbourne north and loving it here so close 2 everything, got a small mall about 10 mins down in Cranbourne and then a bigger mall about 15 20 mins calles fountain gate, so close 2 everything u could want. we are glad we have this house in Cranbourne, but its up 2 each and every person where they would like 2 be and chris was great with all the work he did with us finding us the house we wanted.:biggrin: good luck with everything and the weeks will fly by.:eek: Melbourne is great loving it. Crystal is very helpfull 2. it does sound alot packed in2 a couple of days but we did have the 1st day we got here in a hotel so we was able 2 get some sleep and feel on top of things, :wacko:we did rent a car when we got over here and then we went looking 4 a car and brought 1 that way. hope this helps? take care and enjoy u last few weeks in the uk. be4 u know it u will be starting u new life in oz. donot know about schools in Berwick i know there are alot of schools about where we are. take care. michelle and mark.

Guest parc

Hi guys, well house been on market for jst under a week now,so here's hoping someone will snap it up soon.we've been looking at Berwick still as a place to rent,quite fancy Timbarra area as schools are nearby,berwick village,parkhill plaza is within walking distance and fountain Gate a short bus journey away.As i dont drive i want to be nearby everthing and not feel as if im out in middle of nowhere!! Just wish we were coming out sooner.xx Can someone tell me wot are the bed sizes in comparison to the uk single,double,king and queen? so i can be bit more prepared and buy duvets and covers in advance. So looking forward to us all meeting up one day,will be good to finally meet every1.

Angie xxx

Archived