I hate Sydney!!!!!!

Guest JRaj

Guest guest25493

avoid, dundas, carlingford, ermington, telopea, in fact anywhere near parramatta. Awful areas of sydney.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest marge

Full disclosure -I'm a sydneysider so maybe I'm a little defensive.

But lynetteandmartin - why would you move from the country (you say you're a westcountry girl) to a multicultural, international city of around 4 million people if you moved 'for the outdoors lifestyle for the kids"???? And if you don't like your child being in a class with lots of other foreign children (keep in mind that you are now also an immigrant) then why did you move to Sydney which is a magnet for immigrants from around the world and especially Asia? I went to an intensely multicultural school in the inner city of Sydney myself back in the 80s and I can say that having lots of Asian (and other foreign including English! :biggrin:) kids in my class was a very enriching experience. But that's Sydney for you - proudly multicultural and IMO better for it. That's why you're all immigrating to Australia, isn't it? It's welcoming to foreigners.

You don't move to a large, international city in a foreign country like Sydney, New York, Paris, Rome etc because you crave peace and quiet and handing out only with people who have the same skin colour as yourself. You move there because you enjoy living in a large multicultural city and value diverse cultures and experiences.

Maybe you'd be happier in a small country town or somewhere like Hobart which is a lot smaller than Sydney but still a capital city (and IMO is a lovely town). But yeah - Australia is an immigrant country and is in the Asia-Pacific region and you're now an immigrant yourself so if you don't like 'all those Asians' in your child's class maybe you shouldn't have chosen to immigrate to that part of the world.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Immigration is threatening to get out of control, with even the small number of undesirables here kicking up a stink about their rights, just as in most Western countries. I don't know about you but I don't really want to see a flock of Darth Vaders walking down the street, it gives me the creeps. And seeing an animal slaughtered in the street by cutting it's throat doesn't endear "them" to me either. Go home, you're not wanted here, you don't fit in, you don't want to fit in.

I like it here and I don't want to live under Sharia law, I want animals to have as stress free an existence as possible, I want freedom of speech and if you do to too, you should wake up and see what's happening right before your very eyes.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/16/3013198.htm

(Edited to highlight the only bit I was serious about.)

I am beginning to hate Sydney too. I lived in Melbourne for a while and god knows I really hated that. I guess if you don't drive here, and I try not to as much as possible, it is bearable. But driving here is a nightmare, and if you are from the UK you'll understand just how bad not only the drivers are but how bad the roads are too. Quite unbelievable for a 1st world country.

Jingoism is rife amongst Aussies too, I used to think it was a government directive or something to bull up Australia. If I hear, "this is the best country in the world" line just one more time...

Politicians appear to be all bent, in more ways than one, and how Labour got back in after making such a mess of things over the last few years I do not know. Well, I do, the idiots that live here voted them back in. A good sign of intelligence.

Immigration is threatening to get out of control too, with even the small number of undesirables here kicking up a stink about their rights, just as in most Western countries. I don't know about you but I don't really want to see a flock of Darth Vaders walking down the street, it gives me the creeps. And seeing an animal slaughtered in the street by cutting it's throat doesn't endear "them" to me either. Go home, you're not wanted here, you don't fit in, you don't want to fit in.

Building standards here are a joke. For a country that gets hot, really hot, I can't believe how badly insulated houses are. Councils are all power hungry too, massive development fees for bugger all.

So I guess I'll stay here a few more years, watch my properties increase by another few hundred thousand, cash it all in and retire to NZ, just me and some sheep away from all the riff-raff and their screaming kids that I currently have to tolerate.

:policeman::policeman:Just a small suggestion!!!!!!!

If you hate it ,and the people that much,cash up and bugga off back to where you came from !!!!

Guest guest36762
I am beginning to hate Sydney too. I lived in Melbourne for a while and god knows I really hated that. I guess if you don't drive here, and I try not to as much as possible, it is bearable. But driving here is a nightmare, and if you are from the UK you'll understand just how bad not only the drivers are but how bad the roads are too. Quite unbelievable for a 1st world country.

Jingoism is rife amongst Aussies too, I used to think it was a government directive or something to bull up Australia. If I hear, "this is the best country in the world" line just one more time...

Politicians appear to be all bent, in more ways than one, and how Labour got back in after making such a mess of things over the last few years I do not know. Well, I do, the idiots that live here voted them back in. A good sign of intelligence.

Immigration is threatening to get out of control too, with even the small number of undesirables here kicking up a stink about their rights, just as in most Western countries. I don't know about you but I don't really want to see a flock of Darth Vaders walking down the street, it gives me the creeps. And seeing an animal slaughtered in the street by cutting it's throat doesn't endear "them" to me either. Go home, you're not wanted here, you don't fit in, you don't want to fit in.

Building standards here are a joke. For a country that gets hot, really hot, I can't believe how badly insulated houses are. Councils are all power hungry too, massive development fees for bugger all.

So I guess I'll stay here a few more years, watch my properties increase by another few hundred thousand, cash it all in and retire to NZ, just me and some sheep away from all the riff-raff and their screaming kids that I currently have to tolerate.

entertaining post, it IS a joke, isn't it?

I don't know about you but I don't really want to see a flock of Darth Vaders walking down the street, it gives me the creeps.

Aside from the other comments, seeing groups of women in burkas unsettles me. Back in 2001 they were shown on TV to demonstrate the Taliban oppression of women in Afghanistan - and thus help justify sending the troops in. Now they're more and more of a common sight on UK high streets. What happened there? Sure it won't make me popular, but I think the French have the right idea by making them illegal. Except I'm also sure that some women will become prisoners in their own homes as a result..

You are joking ofcourse! Queensland is good for a holiday, but you wouldn't want to live there!!

How could it be good for a holiday but not good to live there? Queensland is a massive place too. You could be talikng about the Gold Coast/surfers as not wanting to live there but good for a holiday. If you mean Brisbane it's a great city and would be a great place to live. There are loads of options in Queensland.

The footie they talk about here isn't REAL footie.....I am talking about good old fashioned English footie!!!!! Thank goodness for Foxtel so you can keep up with your footie teams at home and see some real stuff none of this AFL rubbish!!!! It's early days for my daughter at this new job but she has been working in the City for 6 months and has really enjoyed it - all her colleagues (mixture of Australian and English) have been equally as friendly and helpful to her and she has no complaints. She gets the bus to/from work which takes about 1/2 hour and it's a reliable service. I think that some of the new homes being built are rather box-like but then that's down to the person's choice as you get them built to your own specifications. What I like here is that the streets are wider, you don't get a road full of the same houses, everyone is different and it makes it more interesting.

I used to love the English "footy" when I lived there and played in the old Northern Premier league for a while, as well as lots of other leagues. Now I love Aussie Rules and get so frustrated when i watch soccer. Even the World Cup was average this time. Players getting a little ankle tap and go down like they've been shot. Soccer used to be a mans game but it's changed too much for my liking. At least if someone stays on the ground in Aussie Rules they are genuinely injured. Some of the physical stuff that happens in Aussie Rules would have your Premier League soccer player crying to Mum.

I love Sydney, warts and all. Sure there are some really dreary suburbs, and I haven't been out to the northwest so I can't comment on Kellyville etc. But Sydney is what you make of it - it has some of the best scenery in Australia, if not the world. Look at the positives - Sydney has some of the best and cheapest restaurants anywhere - trying eating Burmese, Cambodian or Lebanese food in britian for $10 a head. Go to Bondi or Manly and wiggle your toes in the sand at the weekend - then cheer up with a real gelato or a decent coffee. There may be plenty of w@nkers in the business world but I don't think Sydney is any worse than London or Manchester in that respect. Same goes for the traffic - I've lived in Beijing, so don't tell me that Sydney is bad. But even cities llike Auckland have terrible traffic these days.

I like Sydney because you get the buzz of living in a big city but can get away from it all very easily. I think other parts of Australia may be more friendly but can be a bit parochial.

I have visited Sydney on work trips and know it better than I know Perth where I live. I agree it has some of the best scenery in Aus and I had some great times there. I have had quite a few weekends there when I've had the opportunity to walk round and have a good look at a lot of areas. Always find plenty to do and a walk or run through the botanic gardens to the opera house is one of my favourite things to do.

I worked in London in the 80's and had to commute a long way when I lived in Manchester, so to blather on about traffic in Sydney being bad is falling on deaf ears. It's no worse than any other big city and better than London was in the 80's.

Unbelievable racial first post!

There you go, its now unacceptable to mention the cultures of other people we are being forced to live with. There was nothing "racial" in what I said, it was all the truth, why don't you get that? Is this not a free country? I'm not condoning violence against anyone, I'm not condoning racial hatred, all I'm saying is that some cultures are here with their own agenda, who expect us to fit in with them, not as it should be, the other way round.

Stop and think before you criticize with such typically predictable rhetoric.

Guest siamsusie

Firstly, you choose Australia to live within.... sucked it and saw ! you dont like, then you again have the choice to leave! You, I take it are an immigrant.

Australian is made up of many immigrants but your " Go home, you're not wanted here, you don't fit in, you don't want to fit in." I found over the top and racist, yes racist!

I take it from your last paragraph that Australia has been kind to you in many ways, once again giving you the financial choice to leave:wink:.

http://www.sydneyangermanagement.com.au/:hug:

Think you might want to re-read what you wrote and maybe it will become clear that you have a few issues to resolve.

You are an immigrant as I am I, and I found your post a bit sad

Good luck in the next couple of years while your property earns you alot more equity and then enjoy your retirement in NZ

God help you if you think the people of NZ would put up with you saying those things about there country, for me I can just rise above it and smile

Cheers Laney :hug:

I personally think that jparrie raises a valid point. I'd argue that in becoming a migrant to Australia he probably hasn't lobbied to have any laws changed to match those of his mother country (Muslim leader wants elements of sharia in Australia) and will have done more to adopt the existing ideals of Australia (which doesn't currently include Halal slaughter of animals : Inhumane slaughter puts Australia's reputation at risk).

Guest guest36762
I personally think that jparrie raises a valid point. I'd argue that in becoming a migrant to Australia he probably hasn't lobbied to have any laws changed to match those of his mother country (Muslim leader wants elements of sharia in Australia) and will have done more to adopt the existing ideals of Australia (which doesn't currently include Halal slaughter of animals : Inhumane slaughter puts Australia's reputation at risk).

so are you racist too then?

Im an Aussie & I dont like Sydney either!

But Ive got friends who love it, just depends on your tastes.

As for your workmates being humourless, you find that more in big city corporate lifestyle,a bit like politicians.

Sometimes Oz humour can seem a bit odd, but youll get the hang of it.

My folks came here nearly 40 years ago and they have some old pommy friends who still say "back home" and whinge about Oz. General consensus is why dont you go back if its still home!

And then theres their old pommy friends who have built businesses, raised kids and had a ball, and say "back in the UK". All came out on the same ship, with the same chances.

I love Sydney so much, there is so much to offer everyone, we live in the southerland Shires and cant complain about the area at all.

As for the Aussies having no sense of humour Im afraid to say they DONT, if you say something funny you get looked at funny as they just dont get it and that is something I do miss so much.

And for saying that England is home, my husband and my kids call Australia home and they are all Pommies , but I will always call England my home, It doesnt mean I want to go back it just means Im proud of where I come from the same as a lot of other Pommies. And yes im also having a ball. :biggrin:

Aside from the other comments, seeing groups of women in burkas unsettles me. Back in 2001 they were shown on TV to demonstrate the Taliban oppression of women in Afghanistan - and thus help justify sending the troops in. Now they're more and more of a common sight on UK high streets. What happened there? Sure it won't make me popular, but I think the French have the right idea by making them illegal. Except I'm also sure that some women will become prisoners in their own homes as a result..

Yeah, the UK and other war mongers went to war to...help women not have to wear the Burqa. Well worth the billions of pounds spent so far, and the hundreds of thousands killed.

If you ban one item of clothing, where does the line stop?

Guest Jane1991

Yeah lets impose a social behavior code and a dress code for the inferior sex because they are obviously incapable of picking their clothes without their male protectors and providers.

Burqa or Bikini - its a choice deal with it and if people don't like it they can close their eyes or stay at home.

Guest Annette from the forest

Absolutely, England will always be my "home" and I am incredibly proud to be British but I love Australia too and this is where I want to live. Surely we can be proud of our heritage but also appreciate all that this wonderful new country has to offer us?

so are you racist too then?

There we go again. Someone issues a very valid and factual statement and he is immediately labeled a racist. What happened to free speech, or is that not part of Sharia law?

Those of you who don't think there is a real and present danger just take a look at what the great multicultural experiment has done to the UK. If you don't learn by others' mistakes your children won't thank you for it, that's for sure.

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand.

[/b]You, I take it are an immigrant.

Correct, but I don't try to change your way of life to that of something resembling the middle east.

Archived