I hate Sydney!!!!!!

Guest JRaj

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chantel
Thanks for your views. It's early days for your daughter....so let's see hey? I don't know too many women talking about Footie, but they do here.

The only new areas are like Kellyville et al. Not the best built houses and have you seen the size of the blocks. Even Milton Keynes has more class. You try travelling from there to the city and then you'll find out the reality of how crap the transport system.

I work for Woolies in Norwest/Bella Vista and it takes me nearly 45 minutes to travel 10 miles by car down the Old Windsor Road...go figure.

I live near Milton Keynes, there is nothing wrong with Milton Keynes on English terms! I think that you may need to look at yourself and if you really fit into Australian culture, if you don't like people talking about sport all of the time then you will be disappointed no matter which city or town you go to, as this is all a huge part of Australian life and the out door active lifestyle that many go to Australia to be a part of. Australia is a fantastic place, but the culture and attitudes of the Australian people is not going to be for everyone. Maybe you need to think about adapting yourself to see how you can fit in and compliment what is already present in Australia or even ask yourself why you went there and what you wanted to achieve in the first place.

Guest Chantel
I used to live in Pinner which was a nice part of the London suburbs. I know that places like Elephant and Castle et al are dives, but look at the likes of Redfern.

I just think that Sydney is overated for what it is. There are far more beautiful parts of Australia than the hustle and bustle of Sydney.

BTW have you been down Parramatta Road.......are you telling me that's nice?

Have you thought for a single second that you may be offending other people?

Guest littlesarah

I can understand completely why some people like to live in a big city. I really like Melbourne, and I really like Sydney, and I enjoyed spending some time in Alice, too. I'm pretty certain I'd enjoy spending a few days in almost any major city in the world. Do I have preferences among the cities I've seen? Yes, of course I do. That's human nature, some people love Sydney, some wouldn't live anywhere other than New York, and some people won't leave London.

Me, much as I enjoy a few days of city life, and much as I love a night out at the Opera House, or a day mooching around the markets and strolling along the foreshore, I wouldn't choose to live in a city. I'm a 'small town' person, that's the way I am.

The point I'm trying to make is that we each like different things, and that's OK. It doesn't have to be a competition between States & their capitals, they're all different, and if you live somewhere and hate it, doesn't mean the place is bad, and just because the 20 or 30 people you've met are unpleasant or boring or annoying, doesn't mean everyone who lives there is the same.

Sometimes a place just isn't right for that person. No-one is to blame, it's just how it is. I don't think it's really necessary to argue about whether Sydney's good or bad, it's how it is.

Guest Guest62757
I guess it's a subjective thing. I buy lots of fruit - apples, oranges, peaches, grapes, blueberries, bananas, tomatoes, but how am I supposed to compare them to UK quality when it's three years since i last shopped at Tesco or ASDA. They seem OK to me though.

I was shopping in Woolies in Kings Cross and an independent deli/grocer in Surry Hills today and the quality and prices seemed fine to me. But, as I said, how am I supposed to compare them to UK prices unless I'm sad enough (and i'm not) to spend all my life on ASDA/Tesco/Morrisons/Waitrose/Sainsburys websites noting all the prices, converting them to AUD, then comparing them to Coles/Woolies/Franklins/IGA.

I buy designer label clothes from charity shops and I've no complaints about quality or price. As far as new clothes go, from the likes of Target/Big W/Best and Less, etc. well, I presume they come from much the same factories in China that the companies in the UK buy from. I liked buying clothes from George (ASDA) and Primark but I haven't a clue whether their quality is better or worse than their Aussie equivalents.

I don't compare the prices to the UK supermarkets but what I do hate is when they sell you fruit of veg that is actually off, no matter how I go through the punnet of strawberries or cherry tomatoes they are always some that are mouldy or go off the next day in my fridge and I've paid a fair price for those items. It's the same with many veg. I don't go for beautiful looking veg or fruit either I'm not shallow but I expect it to be fresh.

As for the clothes I hate paying $50 for a knit jumper and that doesn't last or feels like I'm wearing plastic.

I end up sourcing online from the US or UK which is cheaper or the same price but far better quality.

Look at ikea furniture for example the price in Australia is exactly (when converted) twice the price it is in the UK but the distance it has had to travel is less considering most of it is manufactured in Asia.

Don't get me wrong Australian retailers have come a long way in the last five years but they are still way behind the US, UK and Europe but they are charging far too much for a lower grade product, because they have the monopoly in the market.

I just asked my Sydney born-and-bred-mate Bill what he hates about Sydney? Nothing except the traffic - and whingeing Pommies!

Even if Sydney's only two icons were the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, that is still two more than any other city in Australia, and come to that many cities throughout the world. How many other cities have more than two icons?

I'm up in St Ives today, having driven up to give Bill a lift home last night and decided to stay over. Totally different to Surry Hills inner city - this is a suburban house in the bush overlooking a valley, feeding possums last night, Sulphur-crested cockatoos this morning.

Yesterday morning I was walking around Darlinghurst and Kings Cross, yesterday arvo I was having coffee in Crown St, Surry Hills with a friend, and in the evening, picked up another friend in Bondi Jn (OK the traffic from Surry Hills via Queens Park - bleeping Cleveland St was stuffed too so naively tried to take a 'long-cut' sic - was double bleeping awful - but we drove to Watsons Bay for a drink at the pub and admired the view to the city then I had a swim.

What could be better than this? Driving up to St Ives at 2am was magic too, seeing the roads the way I wish they could be at 7am! with the Cahill Expressway and Harbour Bridge to myself.

The trouble is, once you set your mind up to hate a place, there is no way you can change your mind - until it's too late of course, when you've 'burned your bridges' and you can't come back.

I just asked my Sydney born-and-bred-mate Bill what he hates about Sydney? Nothing except the traffic - and whingeing Pommies!

Even if Sydney's only two icons were the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, that is still two more than any other city in Australia, and come to that many cities throughout the world. How many other cities have more than two icons?

I'm up in St Ives today, having driven up to give Bill a lift home last night and decided to stay over. Totally different to Surry Hills inner city - this is a suburban house in the bush overlooking a valley, feeding possums last night, Sulphur-crested cockatoos this morning.

Yesterday morning I was walking around Darlinghurst and Kings Cross, yesterday arvo I was having coffee in Crown St, Surry Hills with a friend, and in the evening, picked up another friend in Bondi Jn (OK the traffic from Surry Hills via Queens Park - bleeping Cleveland St was stuffed too so naively tried to take a 'long-cut' sic - was double bleeping awful - but we drove to Watsons Bay for a drink at the pub and admired the view to the city then I had a swim.

What could be better than this? Driving up to St Ives at 2am was magic too, seeing the roads the way I wish they could be at 7am! with the Cahill Expressway and Harbour Bridge to myself.

The trouble is, once you set your mind up to hate a place, there is no way you can change your mind - until it's too late of course, when you've 'burned your bridges' and you can't come back.

I hope you used protection Mary

Guest richyquinn

I hope all these comments have helped change your mind...of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You must of really had a bad experience.

I have to say, I LOVE SYDNEY. I hope Brisbane or Perth has worked out better for you.

I hope all these comments have helped change your mind...of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You must of really had a bad experience.

I have to say, I LOVE SYDNEY. I hope Brisbane or Perth has worked out better for you.

What was the line in 'New York, New York' (aka Sydney) 'If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere?'

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Genrol
I can confirm that I hate this place and the final nail in the coffin is the bunch of pompous rseholes that I work with.

Never have I met a bunch of arrogant, boring monotone individuals who only talk about sport (cricket, SOCCER, Aussie Rules) and travelling to Europe etc. Yet no one has travelled in their own country. The people here who are up the corporate ladder are rude and arrogant.

This place is expensive, the houses are old and in many cases falling apart, but still cost a million dollars plus.

The transport system is just inadequate and poorly mismanaged. The only two landmarks are the bloody bridge and the Opera House (which is in a state of disrepair.....check out the cracks in the tiles if you visit).

You would be surprised how many people are leaving this place to seek a better life in this beautiful country....and you know what, I one of them!!

Brisbane/Perth....here I come.

If you're paying a million bucks for a house that's falling apart, you're just in a bad area. Those houses are probably in a "heritage" area. Move a little further west and a $1m house would be a mansion. Move to the gold coast and it'd be a three story house on the waterfront. We have a lot more landmarks then that bridge and house, btw. You're obviously not searching for the best part of Sydney.

Guest Guest62757
If you're paying a million bucks for a house that's falling apart, you're just in a bad area. Those houses are probably in a "heritage" area. Move a little further west and a $1m house would be a mansion. Move to the gold coast and it'd be a three story house on the waterfront. We have a lot more landmarks then that bridge and house, btw. You're obviously not searching for the best part of Sydney.

I think you are a little bit out of touch most of Sydney even the less desirable areas are reaching the 1 mil mark for a property that will need a total reno. And no "move out west" isn't the only option. It is so bad in the west that is why people are moving up to the Central Coast, South Coast and Blue Mountains and endure horrendous commutes because the transport links are so poor. But they do it to afford to buy a home, get out of drive by shooting, crime, drugs, poor public education.

Sydney is unaffordable for an family on a good wage, it's a fact.

I think you are a little bit out of touch most of Sydney even the less desirable areas are reaching the 1 mil mark for a property that will need a total reno. And no "move out west" isn't the only option. It is so bad in the west that is why people are moving up to the Central Coast, South Coast and Blue Mountains and endure horrendous commutes because the transport links are so poor. But they do it to afford to buy a home, get out of drive by shooting, crime, drugs, poor public education.

Sydney is unaffordable for an family on a good wage, it's a fact.

Pity the other four million of us who have become so institutionalised by life in HM Prison Sydney we just don't know what is good for us. You have made me feel so bad about myself I shall just have to go down to the beach for a swim. But WHICH bloody beach. I'll be stuck at home trying to figure this out.

Redleaf, Nielsen Park, Parsley Bay, Watsons Bay, Bondi, Tamarama, Bronte, Clovelly, Coogee, Maroubra, Malabar.

I'm going back to bed. I can't live like this.

Guest Guest62757
Pity the other four million of us who have become so institutionalised by life in HM Prison Sydney we just don't know what is good for us. You have made me feel so bad about myself I shall just have to go down to the beach for a swim. But WHICH bloody beach. I'll be stuck at home trying to figure this out.

Redleaf, Nielsen Park, Parsley Bay, Watsons Bay, Bondi, Tamarama, Bronte, Clovelly, Coogee, Maroubra, Malabar.

I'm going back to bed. I can't live like this.

I was referring to Western Sydney as that was suggested as a cheaper option. You've quoted all nice Eastern suburbs, so can you find a house for under 1 mil there or one that is cheaper but doesn't needs a huge reno???

Would you move out west from your beloved slurry hills????

i was referring to Western Sydney as that was suggested as a cheaper option. You've quoted all nice Eastern suburbs, so can you find a house for under 1 mil there or one that is cheaper but doesn't needs a huge reno???

Would you move out west from your beloved slurry hills????

Yes, I'd be more than happy to move to Leichhardt. Wonderful place, Norton Street, full of Italian and other restaurants, pubs, cafes. It does get a bit hot away from the sea breeze though. Not sure if I could cope with that.

My unit is worth about $400,000. Do you think i could get a decent three bedder home with a garden in Rooty Hill, Plumpton, Mt Druitt, Oakhurst? I had a brief relationship with a lady from Oakhurst. I would have sacrificed everything to have moved in with her.

I have a very good lady friend who lives just around the corner from me on the sixth floor of the Northcott building. She hates living there but puts up with it because of the convenience of being able to walk everywhere. Each time I visit her I am TERRIFIED. But then again, I remind myself that this is Slurry Hills, where millionaires and paupers, drug addicts and drug dealers, live in an uneasy truce.

Could I move out to the western burbs? If it was the price of staying in Sydney, that's a no-brainer. I'd be chalking up a heap of K's driving to and from Surry Hills.

PS I only moved to Surry Hills because I could not cope with public transport from the burbs - the crowds & traffic jams. I needed to be able to walk to work at Garden Island and my first choice was Kings X. If my job had been in Penrith or Campbelltown I would have moved there.

Guest AJM71

Hi

Im planning a move from Melbourne to Sydney with two daughters: years 3 and 7. We're thinking of Manley, or Freshwater areas (for a lot of the reasons raised in this discussion) and are trying to research schools. You mention Northern Beaches Sec College. Do you get to choose which campus? Any idea how good MacKeller Girls is? Does it suffer poor teaching due to NB Sec getting best? And are there any good private alternatives close by? All thoughts very welcome.

Thank you!

Archived