I hate Sydney!!!!!!

Guest JRaj

Guest earlswood
There you go, you heard it here first ! A very constructive viewpoint on life in Sydney. :frown:

Eric.

:biglaugh:And you thought I was negative, then again this new bloke seems a bit of a nob.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest austibeach
:biglaugh:And you thought I was negative, then again this new bloke seems a bit of a nob.

I can't ever recall saying that I thought you were negative, but then alas, memory apparently fails with age. As with all posts, it's all in the presentation, as to whether they can be considered useful to someone considering to make probably the greatest move of their life. Mr "sprintman" may well have a valid point to make, but the presentation of his argument rather fails to offer a useful insight into life in Sydney.

Eric.

I for one don't worry too much about negative posts, If i did i wouldn't read them, Most of us are going to oz blind, So its good to hear good and bad! It doesn't put us of certain areas, for the simple reason which has been proved time and time again is what suits some peoples lifestyle doesn't suit others, So its down to the individuals at the end of the day where they chose to settle,What i find annoying is the fact people take great delight at bitching at one another! Why?? Everybody is entitled to there own opinion without being judged or put down!

John

• 1 year later...

As someone who was born in Sydney, spent 27 wonderful years there before moving to London for 20 years, I find this all amusing.

I have often said to people who are off to travel Oz, Sydney is wonderful but there are much lovelier places to visit. I am heading back to Oz in July permanently - but not to live in Sydney. Its a lot different now to what it was like 20 years ago. A few too many people living there, infrastructure can't cope, etc. I'm off to live near Brisbane - for the weather, countryside, beaches, parks and lifestyle.

As for the people, I met some wonderful folks during my years in Sydney. It all comes down to where you work, where you live and where you play. I've loved working with people in London too, many of whom are among the kindest, most decent folks you'd have the pleasure to have met.

It all amounts to generalisations, really. You can't say that as a place, Sydney is "bad" or "good". Sydney is Sydney, as London is London - it depends on the area you choose to live in, the people you mix with and where your own head is at. I defy anyone to say that living on a beachfront in Palm Beach would be horrible compared to living in a council estate in East London.

Having lived in every capital city in Australia, except for Hobart and Canberra, my placings would be...

Best...The Darwin

2nd...perth

3rd...Brisbane

4th...Sydney

5th Adelaide

6th...Smellbum.:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob I think you should change your avatar, to grandpa simpson....... 88130-26709-grampa-simpson_large.jpg

I'm sure at some point you knew what you were on about but now it's just dribble.... Poor bugger! (love ya Bob and all ment in good fun)

I got one thing to say to you bobj,....look a me look a me, I'll only say this once: (again)

AHSHUDDUP!!

OI!!! you shaddup you face, too, ya Smellbumite!:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

#################################################

Bob I think you should change your avatar, to grandpa simpson....... YUCK!!!!!!!

Never, NEVER, NEVER

I'm sure at some point you knew what you were on about but now it's just dribble.... Poor bugger! (love ya Bob and all ment in good fun)

Get back to Blackburn, ya pommie loving pers...bloke:biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie

Well I have worked and lived in every capital city in Australia, plus Alice Springs,my rankings are.

1 Melbourne

2 Sydney

3 Hobart

4 Adelaide

5 Darwin

6 Alice Springs

7 Canberra

8 Brisbane

9 Perth

But my favorite place is right here,Tallangatta,Vic.

I love Sydney,I have spent a lot of time there and still visit on average once a month,I love the harbour,the beaches,the pubs and the food,some of the residents though don't impress me.

We went down to Sydney a couple of months ago to take our boys to the Zoo and a few other places, it was the first time I had been for 20 odd years and I suspect it may be that long before I go again. Way too much traffic, I thought rush hour was bad here in Brisbane but it's insane down there.

I have lived in Sydney for two years and I think that it is a great place to live if you are wealthy and can afford to buy a nice house in the eastern suburbs or lower north shore or perhaps the northern beaches. If you can't and you end up having to live in the inner west or west or south or north then it sucks and you may as well live in any urban area in any city. That's just my opinion, I love the cruisy beach lifestyle (being a QLD girl originally) and find most of Sydney to be pretty ugly and uninspiring. My husband is English and we are facing the typical dilema of where can we afford to buy...not Sydney!!

Hi

I love Sydney too, and we;'ve been here 7 months now. We too live near Kellyville (Beaumont Hills) and we love it.

Jackie

Hi Jackie I'm very close to you in Sydney too, what school are your kids going to & how old if I may ask?

K

Guest treesea
I have lived in Sydney for two years and I think that it is a great place to live if you are wealthy and can afford to buy a nice house in the eastern suburbs or lower north shore or perhaps the northern beaches. If you can't and you end up having to live in the inner west or west or south or north then it sucks and you may as well live in any urban area in any city. That's just my opinion, I love the cruisy beach lifestyle (being a QLD girl originally) and find most of Sydney to be pretty ugly and uninspiring. My husband is English and we are facing the typical dilema of where can we afford to buy...not Sydney!!

Exactly. Well said. I lived in Sydney for five years, before we moved to Melbourne, and in some ways miss it even now, almost 20 years on. My OH prefers Australia to here . I'll go back....when he can afford a great waterfront house - Point Piper will do, though I'd prefer Watson's Bay ..... with no mortgage. Plus around $100K a year to spend.

As someone who was born in Sydney, spent 27 wonderful years there before moving to London for 20 years, I find this all amusing.

I have often said to people who are off to travel Oz, Sydney is wonderful but there are much lovelier places to visit. I am heading back to Oz in July permanently - but not to live in Sydney. Its a lot different now to what it was like 20 years ago. A few too many people living there, infrastructure can't cope, etc. I'm off to live near Brisbane - for the weather, countryside, beaches, parks and lifestyle.

As for the people, I met some wonderful folks during my years in Sydney. It all comes down to where you work, where you live and where you play. I've loved working with people in London too, many of whom are among the kindest, most decent folks you'd have the pleasure to have met.

It all amounts to generalisations, really. You can't say that as a place, Sydney is "bad" or "good". Sydney is Sydney, as London is London - it depends on the area you choose to live in, the people you mix with and where your own head is at. I defy anyone to say that living on a beachfront in Palm Beach would be horrible compared to living in a council estate in East London.

yup agree, left at 21, 16yrs later am back, hubby, 3kids, 2cats. Lived in Liverpool UK for 14 years, and needed a change. this wasn't my 'first choice' place, but my dad is here, and want him to have a good relationship with the kids. been here 6 weeks, and I'm the one not settling, although people around me couldn't be nicer, just found a little pocket of friendliness. Hate Chatswood, that I used to love, prefer Hornsby shopping, or Macquarie. miss loads of little things about the UK, but I'm sure I had teething probs there too. Its early days. I left Sydney, glad to get out. So I don't blame anyone for the same. I don't have a local's accent either so, I consider myself as much a foreigner, and yes, I think people do treat you differently. Sometimes I feel some locals appreciate that you're not on your Blackberry, and that you do a)acknowledge them, and b) say please and thank you.

I love that my kids are polite British boys. (and yes you got a lot of rude little toerags round our area - in Liverpool)... but I think there is an air of self-importance (arrogance?) here that I'm afraid I see a lot in the little ones starting school - could it be that they start later, so have less respect for adults/teachers etc. I don't know, just putting my 2p in as my children reply when asked a question by any adult, whether stranger or not. I have tried to converse with kids when around their parents, and they either bury their head behind their parent, ignore you, or stare at you (not because they don't understand you - because I asked!). And rather than being encouraged to answer by the parent, the parent gives excuses. Even when you know the parents and children. My boys understand if someone asks you a question it's probably because they are interested in an answer... not ruling out a move after a couple of years, but by then we might be so entrenched in the education system, ... never say never tho'...x

yup agree, left at 21, 16yrs later am back, hubby, 3kids, 2cats. Lived in Liverpool UK for 14 years, and needed a change. this wasn't my 'first choice' place, but my dad is here, and want him to have a good relationship with the kids. been here 6 weeks, and I'm the one not settling, although people around me couldn't be nicer, just found a little pocket of friendliness. Hate Chatswood, that I used to love, prefer Hornsby shopping, or Macquarie. miss loads of little things about the UK, but I'm sure I had teething probs there too. Its early days. I left Sydney, glad to get out. So I don't blame anyone for the same. I don't have a local's accent either so, I consider myself as much a foreigner, and yes, I think people do treat you differently. Sometimes I feel some locals appreciate that you're not on your Blackberry, and that you do a)acknowledge them, and b) say please and thank you.

I love that my kids are polite British boys. (and yes you got a lot of rude little toerags round our area - in Liverpool)... but I think there is an air of self-importance (arrogance?) here that I'm afraid I see a lot in the little ones starting school - could it be that they start later, so have less respect for adults/teachers etc. I don't know, just putting my 2p in as my children reply when asked a question by any adult, whether stranger or not. I have tried to converse with kids when around their parents, and they either bury their head behind their parent, ignore you, or stare at you (not because they don't understand you - because I asked!). And rather than being encouraged to answer by the parent, the parent gives excuses. Even when you know the parents and children. My boys understand if someone asks you a question it's probably because they are interested in an answer... not ruling out a move after a couple of years, but by then we might be so entrenched in the education system, ... never say never tho'...x

Welcome 'home' Busimoll, it is hard to settle back when you have been away for a while, I took ages to settle back in less time away than you had 16 years is a long time ! Hope it all goes well for you and your family. Sydney has changed so much in the last 15-20 years.

• 1 month later...
Guest luo2ang
You dont need to leave NSW just because you hate Sydney. I love Sydney, but couldnt live or work there.

I live about 80ks south in the Illawarra, and its beautiful. Its only an hour into Sydney when you want the hustle and bustle, if you dont, there are gorgeous beaches or bush five minutes away from most parts of the Illawarra. Property is cheaper, the air is cleaner, the beaches are less packed and the people are happier.

may be moving to sutherland area towards end of year.did a recci for 4 weeks in july 2009.renting at first-any tips or hints?do you know anything about private schools in the area?loved it when there,reasured wasnt baking hot constantly.

Guest donsayuriru

Hi there. My family will be moving to Sydney next week and we'll be staying with a relative based in Beaumont Hills. Unfortunately, we couldn't get any car to drive. Is the place accessible to a public transport? How many minutes walking are we going to get?

Thanks!

Hi

I love Sydney too, and we;'ve been here 7 months now. We too live near Kellyville (Beaumont Hills) and we love it. Great for kids, I work 15kms done the road and we are near family. Yes things are expensive, but no more that in the UK so I've found, We have a lot more house for our money than in the UK and what more can you ask than that your kids are settled in their new life. If we had to move, we'd go to Perth or Brisbane, not back to the UK.

Jackie

You dont need to leave NSW just because you hate Sydney. I love Sydney, but couldnt live or work there.

I live about 80ks south in the Illawarra, and its beautiful. Its only an hour into Sydney when you want the hustle and bustle, if you dont, there are gorgeous beaches or bush five minutes away from most parts of the Illawarra. Property is cheaper, the air is cleaner, the beaches are less packed and the people are happier.

Cpouldn't agree more Claire, we live in Figtree. Wouldn't change it for the world:biggrin:

may be moving to sutherland area towards end of year.did a recci for 4 weeks in july 2009.renting at first-any tips or hints?do you know anything about private schools in the area?loved it when there,reasured wasnt baking hot constantly.

Hi. We live in Sutherland Shire and would be happy to give you hints/tips. If you do have any questions, feel free to send me a pm.

Archived