I hate Sydney!!!!!!

Guest JRaj

JRaj, No matter which city you live in here in Oz, you will be stuck in traffic, especially at peak times.

I've spent time in Perth & got stuck in traffic from Mandrah in the south to Quinns rock in the north, Brissie was the same from the Gold Coast to the other side of Brissie, never been to Melbourne as the weather puts me off there.

When we came here in 1970, we were accomodated in hostels, they were good because everyone was in the same boat & we learned a lot about the area from each other & the jobs etc, if someone didn't like the place they could apply to move elsewhere which was good, plus it only cost us 10 quid to get here.

I have said elsewhere on here last year, that buying a property should be done well after you arrive here, the idea would be to rent first & look around at the possibilities of employment etc, it's a big country so there is the perfect place for everyone, it's just finding it.

I would not live in Sydney, although I love to visit sometimes, the noise gets to me these days, I wanted to be in Sydney when we emmigrated, but someone made a mistake and we were sent to Wollongong, maybe because I was a steelworker in Sheffield, they said that we could move back to Sydney after a few days, but after seeing the Gong from the top of the escarpment & the beautiful beaches, we decided to give it a go & we have been here for 37 years now.

As Claire said earlier, many people travel to Sydney each day for work, either by car or train & have the benefits of living in a wonderful environment with house prices far below what you would pay in Sydney, plus we have better beaches too.

People here have got a life and they are interested in many sporting activities, if you give out the same feelings at work as you have on here, I'm not surprised you are not happy in your employment, I bet your workmates aren't either, Stop whinging, jump in your car with the family & have a look around, the Illawarra region or the Central Coast have more to offer a family than the city area has, & there are jobs around if you look

The positive points of living in NSW are that you can have a look at other capital Cities, Brissie is only 12 hours drive away & so is Melbourne, Canberra is just over the hill, on the other hand, flying is only 1 hour & you can get cheap flights these days, look before you leap, the way you are going, you will be going back to Blighty & possibly miss out on the dream.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Claire

I live about 80ks south in the Illawarra, and its beautiful. Its only an hour into Sydney

Please don't spoil it for us Claire, I tell people it's rubbish so we have plenty of room on the beaches, he wouldn't handle the travelling on the F6.:arghh:

Ha ha ha ha, I live in Stanwell Park, the tourists are entrenched :twitcy:

JRaj, No matter which city you live in here in Oz, you will be stuck in traffic, especially at peak times.

I've spent time in Perth & got stuck in traffic from Mandrah in the south to Quinns rock in the north, Brissie was the same from the Gold Coast to the other side of Brissie, never been to Melbourne as the weather puts me off there.

When we came here in 1970, we were accomodated in hostels, they were good because everyone was in the same boat & we learned a lot about the area from each other & the jobs etc, if someone didn't like the place they could apply to move elsewhere which was good, plus it only cost us 10 quid to get here.

I have said elsewhere on here last year, that buying a property should be done well after you arrive here, the idea would be to rent first & look around at the possibilities of employment etc, it's a big country so there is the perfect place for everyone, it's just finding it.

I would not live in Sydney, although I love to visit sometimes, the noise gets to me these days, I wanted to be in Sydney when we emmigrated, but someone made a mistake and we were sent to Wollongong, maybe because I was a steelworker in Sheffield, they said that we could move back to Sydney after a few days, but after seeing the Gong from the top of the escarpment & the beautiful beaches, we decided to give it a go & we have been here for 37 years now.

As Claire said earlier, many people travel to Sydney each day for work, either by car or train & have the benefits of living in a wonderful environment with house prices far below what you would pay in Sydney, plus we have better beaches too.

People here have got a life and they are interested in many sporting activities, if you give out the same feelings at work as you have on here, I'm not surprised you are not happy in your employment, I bet your workmates aren't either, Stop whinging, jump in your car with the family & have a look around, the Illawarra region or the Central Coast have more to offer a family than the city area has, & there are jobs around if you look

The positive points of living in NSW are that you can have a look at other capital Cities, Brissie is only 12 hours drive away & so is Melbourne, Canberra is just over the hill, on the other hand, flying is only 1 hour & you can get cheap flights these days, look before you leap, the way you are going, you will be going back to Blighty & possibly miss out on the dream.

Thanks for that post and thanks for the advice, which I will take on board. Speaking of work colleagues....they are nothing like my mates back home....just no humor and dull as dishwater.

...they are nothing like my mates back home....just no humor and dull as dishwater.

Unfortunately JRaj, not everyone is blessed with the great English sense of humour, your family & old friends can't be replaced either, migration is a bit like marriage, for better or worse.

If or when you come down this way, be sure to stop at either Sublime point lookout or the Italian place near Bulli tops for a view as far as the eye can see of the Illawarra area, it's at the end of the F6 freeway at Bulli tops.

Take time to look at the new housing estates at Albion Park & Shellharbour, then go to the harbour at Kiama for the best fish & chips in Oz.

Guest old pom

JRaj I've lived in Oz for over 30 years and the best advice I can give you is that which was given to me soon after I arrived:

Lose the chip mate, it's stopping you from making friends.

Guest alkristensen
Thanks. It's not only me that's made the decision about Sydney. Most of our Pom work colleagues feel the same too.

You would be surprised how many people are ditching Sydney for other places in Australia. My friend has been here for 20 years and lives in Hunters Hill (nice area), he has had enough of Sydney and has decided to live in Sanctuary Cove, QLD. (Yep he's loaded).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

One mans meat is another mans poison as they say.

Enjoy your time in Sydney as you will miss it when you move on probably!

What sort of things are you looking for in an area.

If you can work that out then its a step in the right direction

All the best

al

• 1 month later...
Guest Britsdownunder

I have to agree with you,:arghh:

Sydney Sucks bigtime, thankgod we are only here for 2 yrs, 11 months to go then we are off to Queensland. Apparently they have a better class of people up there who are more layed back and like to talk about things other than themselves.

I have met so many stuck up idiots here and Oh apparently my boys only have freckles coz they live in Australia now....I mean come on!!! whats that all about? we laugh at it now and Yes! moving here was a huge culture shock to us.

I get to meet all kinds of different people here and alot of them are from different states and believe I can now tell the ones who are Sydney Locals born and bred. I found I get on better with Victorians since I came here.

Keep ya chin up, and I would move if I were you coz its won't get any better.

All the best.:chatterbox:

Guest Britsdownunder

Believe me, Pom's arn't Whingers!!!! and even if we are....its the Aussies that make us Whinge. they complain about everything.:dull:

Ever heard the one about the "Whingeing Pom" ? .......perhaps Australia isn't for some people.

Eric.

Im an Aussie & I dont like Sydney either!

But Ive got friends who love it, just depends on your tastes.

As for your workmates being humourless, you find that more in big city corporate lifestyle,a bit like politicians.

Sometimes Oz humour can seem a bit odd, but youll get the hang of it.

My folks came here nearly 40 years ago and they have some old pommy friends who still say "back home" and whinge about Oz. General consensus is why dont you go back if its still home!

And then theres their old pommy friends who have built businesses, raised kids and had a ball, and say "back in the UK". All came out on the same ship, with the same chances.

Guest alkristensen
Good luck with whatever you decide to do

One mans meat is another mans poison as they say.

Enjoy your time in Sydney as you will miss it when you move on probably!

What sort of things are you looking for in an area.

If you can work that out then its a step in the right direction

All the best

al

just to update.

Been to Syd. Far too pricey and full of peopel rushing about that think you arer in the way. Coffee to go and hurry up!!

Balmain lovely, glebe great, suburbs ok, manly great but expensive.$400 a week got us nothing short of a pokey unit in a nice area.

We have had so much to do looking at areas of syd then total change of plan to be near beach.

We have then found property overlooking a golf course with kangaroos in the back garden, 1 mile from the beach in Nelson Bay. Its lovely with 4 bedroomsa huge verandah and best of all for me a jaccuzzi and a double garage all for $300 a week!!!

We had our lease application accepted lease to move in 22nd sept and have been looking for a runaround small car for clare today. Jesus they are expensive here for what you would consuider granny mobile looking things in the small car range.

There aint no 206 or Ford fiestas here just ugly jap cars that look like 80s starter models!

We were looking at a hyundai getz as we hired one last time and there was only one in the whole area in the right colour at the right price so we drive an hour to go and look at it and hated it as it was like a middle aged persons runaround, not how we remembered them at all so Clare had a go in a Suzuki half soft top jeep and it will be ours tomorrow afternoon!! LOL

Talk about total turnaround!!

Her grin was from ear to ear as she now realised she really wanted a fun car to go with her new fun life. Imj glad after all the illness that she is smiling again

So now we have got the 2 big things done of house and transport we can settle and have a beachlife for 6 months while we have reccies to Brisbane and Newcastle and Melbourne to see which one we like. We didnt want to settle for anything that didnt feel right and syd wasnt right for us.

Good luck all

al

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mutikonka

I love Sydney, warts and all. Sure there are some really dreary suburbs, and I haven't been out to the northwest so I can't comment on Kellyville etc. But Sydney is what you make of it - it has some of the best scenery in Australia, if not the world. Look at the positives - Sydney has some of the best and cheapest restaurants anywhere - trying eating Burmese, Cambodian or Lebanese food in britian for $10 a head. Go to Bondi or Manly and wiggle your toes in the sand at the weekend - then cheer up with a real gelato or a decent coffee. There may be plenty of w@nkers in the business world but I don't think Sydney is any worse than London or Manchester in that respect. Same goes for the traffic - I've lived in Beijing, so don't tell me that Sydney is bad. But even cities llike Auckland have terrible traffic these days.

I like Sydney because you get the buzz of living in a big city but can get away from it all very easily. I think other parts of Australia may be more friendly but can be a bit parochial.

I agree with you Mutikonka, I love Sydney too! It is a wonderful place to live and I have found the people extremely friendly. The variety of different restaurants at all different prices is fantastic and there are so many things to see and do you can never be bored. I feel it's the best of both worlds, ie a wonderful City with all the sights yet also so many beautiful beaches, parks and open spaces. Naturally it's not perfect, what is but in my book it's pretty damn good!

Karen

• 2 months later...
Guest gymtastic

ditto i am in agreement bin here since jan 2007 livin in syd ..find the people as you said ..cant get work as i am told i have a british education ..and dnt do things properly ..mmmm yea ok ..take a look at ur selfs syney siders ..ozzis ..so am plannin on goin hm nxt october ..thats if i ever get work to get home .so bloody xpensive here ..as for the nite life in suberbs ..who wants to be stuck in an rsl .or similar place ..i miss my home town all the bars an friendly people ,an nite life..and the safty of walkin down the street with out being mugged or knifed...ps have been told am to old to be here too am a gd lookin 49 yr old still very much young ..my husband has lived here 20 yrs ..an guess wot ..knows people but no one wants to be your friend ..mmm ..good luck with your pursuit in the rest of ozz smile ..your british and normal ....

• 7 months later...
Guest agreewithyou
I can confirm that I hate this place and the final nail in the coffin is the bunch of pompous rseholes that I work with.

Never have I met a bunch of arrogant, boring monotone individuals who only talk about sport (cricket, SOCCER, Aussie Rules) and travelling to Europe etc. Yet no one has travelled in their own country. The people here who are up the corporate ladder are rude and arrogant.

This place is expensive, the houses are old and in many cases falling apart, but still cost a million dollars plus.

I'm from here and I agree wi th you!!!

I hate Sydney

Guees it's a case of the grass isn't always greener on the other side. You know if you're not happy here and at least you've had the guts to admit to that then check out someplace else, what have you got to lose? Word of warning though don't expect the locals to be any less nterested in sport anywhere else it's a national pasttime! Give it a fair go explore the whole city and who knows you may surprise yourself! Just keep an open mind and the possibillities are endless. Good luck Jo

Hi Guys and Gals

Its quite funny as i work in a huge multicultural company in fox studios and theres always a debate on weather sydney is better than queensland.

Ive been here for two months and generally make my mind up quickly, and unfortunately dont like sydney as much as i hoped i would. I had my dreams on settling here as work is plenty for what i do and was looking forward to the change in lifestyle.

I dont hate it as much as JRaj but do agree on most things. The people here arent as friendly as i thought and actually seem quite snobby. I get the feeling they enjoy looking down at a lot of people especially in the eastern suburbs.

The bus ride into work always seems to be a competition on how much money they make and how far up the corporate ladder they can go.

The beaches here are disappointing apart from manly. I came to australia looking for "paradise" with convenience - not enough paradise for me so looking further up north.

Another thing i have noticed, as well as a lot of my colleagues from oversees, is that if you say anything remotely negative about sydney - the sydneysiders will linch you and string you up over the harbour bridge - theyre very aggressive.

so, as mentioned earlier - the debate at work - which place is best - judging from the really bitchy attitude and delusion from the sydneysiders towards the rest of the country - and the more gentle approach from my queensland collegues - i think i would prefer to settle in brisbane or nearby and leave sydney behind. They dont have the look down at you snobby approach but seem to really enjoy life - if my son can have the same life my collegues describe themselves having - ill be a very happy man.

Thats just my general opinion and observations - and thats exactly what it is - an opinion - meaning that everybody has a different view on the place. My freind grew up near me in the windsor area of england and worked a few streets down from me in central london - and he absolutely loves it in sydney - so coming from exactly the same background, we have different opinions.

So advice to you JRaj - give brissy a go because you obviously arnt happy and that unhappiness wont fade anytime soon. Two things could happen - you could love brisbane and it would be the best move for you - or you could realise that actually sydney wasnt so bad after all.

hope it all works out for you - i have a year long contract so am stuck, but plan to see brissy very soon to make up my mind.

hamz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Yes, made the best move of our lives and moved to the lovely North Lakes (25KM North of Brisbane CBD) area 2 weeks ago. Lovely place, with lots of space (for a new development) and the friendliest people going.

Brisbane is growing in everyway possible.......let's hope it retains its friendly character.

My dream to stay in this this beautiful country has been realised.

All the best

JRaj

My dream to stay in this this beautiful country has been realised.

Good on yer mate, as I said to you 2 years ago, there is the perfect place for all here, the problem is finding it, hope everything works out for you in the future. :yes:

Guest poohbear

Hi ev1

I am new to this site and will be relocating to Sydney by the end of this year (hopefully ;-)). After reading all the comments I am a little scared. We have to move to Sydney for my husbands job but secretly would prefer to go to Brisbane. Out of all the people who like Sydney where is the best place to live - I have heard that the North is best? We are a family and want good schools (which I don't mind paying for). Hope I meet some happy people!!!!

Guest Jaynie
Hi ev1

I am new to this site and will be relocating to Sydney by the end of this year (hopefully ;-)). After reading all the comments I am a little scared. We have to move to Sydney for my husbands job but secretly would prefer to go to Brisbane. Out of all the people who like Sydney where is the best place to live - I have heard that the North is best? We are a family and want good schools (which I don't mind paying for). Hope I meet some happy people!!!!

North Sydney is lovely, I live on the Central Coast which is even further North but it is lovely up here. Hope you find somewhere to settle.

Archived