I hate Sydney!!!!!!

Guest JRaj

I can confirm that I hate this place and the final nail in the coffin is the bunch of pompous rseholes that I work with.

Never have I met a bunch of arrogant, boring monotone individuals who only talk about sport (cricket, SOCCER, Aussie Rules) and travelling to Europe etc. Yet no one has travelled in their own country. The people here who are up the corporate ladder are rude and arrogant.

This place is expensive, the houses are old and in many cases falling apart, but still cost a million dollars plus.

The transport system is just inadequate and poorly mismanaged. The only two landmarks are the bloody bridge and the Opera House (which is in a state of disrepair.....check out the cracks in the tiles if you visit).

You would be surprised how many people are leaving this place to seek a better life in this beautiful country....and you know what, I one of them!!

Brisbane/Perth....here I come.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JoanneHattersley
I can confirm that I hate this place and the final nail in the coffin is the bunch of pompous rseholes that I work with.

Never have I met a bunch of arrogant, boring monotone individuals who only talk about sport (cricket, SOCCER, Aussie Rules) and travelling to Europe etc. Yet no one has travelled in their own country. The people here who are up the corporate ladder are rude and arrogant.

This place is expensive, the houses are old and in many cases falling apart, but still cost a million dollars plus.

The transport system is just inadequate and poorly mismanaged. The only two landmarks are the bloody bridge and the Opera House (which is in a state of disrepair.....check out the cracks in the tiles if you visit).

You would be surprised how many people are leaving this place to seek a better life in this beautiful country....and you know what, I one of them!!

COME TO BRISBANE! Much better here

Guest Claire

You dont need to leave NSW just because you hate Sydney. I love Sydney, but couldnt live or work there.

I live about 80ks south in the Illawarra, and its beautiful. Its only an hour into Sydney when you want the hustle and bustle, if you dont, there are gorgeous beaches or bush five minutes away from most parts of the Illawarra. Property is cheaper, the air is cleaner, the beaches are less packed and the people are happier.

Guest koala12

Hi

Felt I should say something and stick up for Sydney!! I've been here 7 months now and love it and don't think you can generalise because the people you work with aren't to your liking! My daughter has been working for a very big firm in the CBD and they are all great and she gets on with them really well, she started a new job on Monday and so far they have all been really good too. Of course they are all into their sports and talk about them a lot but then so do English people many of who talk non stop about their footie teams, etc.

As for housing, of course there are parts that are very expensive but if you go a little bit further out you don't pay anything near the million dollars plus you quoted. We are very near the City in terms of driving distance but believe me we paid nothing like that sort of money (we wouldn't have been able to afford to!!!) and there are plenty of suburbs here which are lovely and easily accessible to CBD and near beaches but where you don't pay an arm and a leg. I don't know what areas you have been to but there is plenty of new housing here and in fact many people buy either old properties or land and build new houses on them reasonably cheaply so I have seen lots of new properties mixed in with older ones.

Brisbane is a completely different place to live, lifestyle is more relaxed and it is much cheaper housingwise. My OH who has lived in many places in Oz (having moved here when he was 2) loves Qld and lived there for 12 years and eventually it is our plan to go there and live but as he has family in Sydney we thought we'd start off here.

Can't comment too much on the transport system as I've only used buses and they have been fine - I know there are problems with the trains which need sorting out (have first hand knowledge of that as sister in law is a big cheese in RailCorp!).

I guess it all comes down to what your expectations are where you perhaps moved from in UK and everyone's different but there are lots of people out there apart from me who would heartily disagree with your views on Sydney....

Hi

Felt I should say something and stick up for Sydney!! I've been here 7 months now and love it and don't think you can generalise because the people you work with aren't to your liking! My daughter has been working for a very big firm in the CBD and they are all great and she gets on with them really well, she started a new job on Monday and so far they have all been really good too. Of course they are all into their sports and talk about them a lot but then so do English people many of who talk non stop about their footie teams, etc.

As for housing, of course there are parts that are very expensive but if you go a little bit further out you don't pay anything near the million dollars plus you quoted. We are very near the City in terms of driving distance but believe me we paid nothing like that sort of money (we wouldn't have been able to afford to!!!) and there are plenty of suburbs here which are lovely and easily accessible to CBD and near beaches but where you don't pay an arm and a leg. I don't know what areas you have been to but there is plenty of new housing here and in fact many people buy either old properties or land and build new houses on them reasonably cheaply so I have seen lots of new properties mixed in with older ones.

Brisbane is a completely different place to live, lifestyle is more relaxed and it is much cheaper housingwise. My OH who has lived in many places in Oz (having moved here when he was 2) loves Qld and lived there for 12 years and eventually it is our plan to go there and live but as he has family in Sydney we thought we'd start off here.

Can't comment too much on the transport system as I've only used buses and they have been fine - I know there are problems with the trains which need sorting out (have first hand knowledge of that as sister in law is a big cheese in RailCorp!).

I guess it all comes down to what your expectations are where you perhaps moved from in UK and everyone's different but there are lots of people out there apart from me who would heartily disagree with your views on Sydney....

Thanks for your views. It's early days for your daughter....so let's see hey? I don't know too many women talking about Footie, but they do here.

The only new areas are like Kellyville et al. Not the best built houses and have you seen the size of the blocks. Even Milton Keynes has more class. You try travelling from there to the city and then you'll find out the reality of how crap the transport system.

I work for Woolies in Norwest/Bella Vista and it takes me nearly 45 minutes to travel 10 miles by car down the Old Windsor Road...go figure.

lol Ellie!!!! But I want to live there!!!! x

You are joking ofcourse! Queensland is good for a holiday, but you wouldn't want to live there!!

Guest koala12

The footie they talk about here isn't REAL footie.....I am talking about good old fashioned English footie!!!!! Thank goodness for Foxtel so you can keep up with your footie teams at home and see some real stuff none of this AFL rubbish!!!! It's early days for my daughter at this new job but she has been working in the City for 6 months and has really enjoyed it - all her colleagues (mixture of Australian and English) have been equally as friendly and helpful to her and she has no complaints. She gets the bus to/from work which takes about 1/2 hour and it's a reliable service. I think that some of the new homes being built are rather box-like but then that's down to the person's choice as you get them built to your own specifications. What I like here is that the streets are wider, you don't get a road full of the same houses, everyone is different and it makes it more interesting.

Guest koala12

I quite agree with you Chelle .....it's all a matter of what you're used to back home and if you lived in a big City then that's what you're used to but if you lived in a quiet country area then it would be a huge shock to you much as it would if you moved from there to a City in UK. I would not want to live in the heart of Sydney (not that we could afford it!) and neither would I have wished to live in the heart of London (again not that we could afford it!!!) but we are in a nice suburb outside of Sydney which is very accessible to the CBD (takes my daughter 30 mins on the bus) and yet our nearest beach is only 10 minutes away. I have only been into the City a handful of times since I've been here as there's no need to go there unless you are going in for something special as you can get everything you want in the suburbs. I have had some very special times here since arriving, most memorable is the New Year's Eve firework displays which I watched with my OH, brother in law/sister in law from a fantastic spot overlooking the harbour (we got there very early and sat there along with thousands of others waiting!) and also Symphony in the Park which again was fantastic and something that you don't get to see in England. The Harbour Bridge and Opera House are fantastic sights and look beautiful at night all lit up.....

Guest Pasty

Hi

I love Sydney too, and we;'ve been here 7 months now. We too live near Kellyville (Beaumont Hills) and we love it. Great for kids, I work 15kms done the road and we are near family. Yes things are expensive, but no more that in the UK so I've found, We have a lot more house for our money than in the UK and what more can you ask than that your kids are settled in their new life. If we had to move, we'd go to Perth or Brisbane, not back to the UK.

Jackie

Hi

I love Sydney too, and we;'ve been here 7 months now. We too live near Kellyville (Beaumont Hills) and we love it. Great for kids, I work 15kms done the road and we are near family. Yes things are expensive, but no more that in the UK so I've found, We have a lot more house for our money than in the UK and what more can you ask than that your kids are settled in their new life. If we had to move, we'd go to Perth or Brisbane, not back to the UK.

Jackie

No offence Jackie, but Kellyville is a nightmare to travel to the city. There are no trains there. It is also a bit sterile IMHO and looks a bit like Milton Keynes. I work in Bella Vista for a very large retailer and the city folk always take the p1ss out of the area, especially the man made lake at Norwest shopping centre.

I personally like Castle Hill, but when I heard that people commute by bus for 1hr plus each way, I said forget it.

Guest austibeach

Ever heard the one about the "Whingeing Pom" ? .......perhaps Australia isn't for some people.

Eric.

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

Sydneys loss is brissy/perths gain im sure:wink:

I don't know too many women talking about Footie, but they do here.

I have never followed soccer in the UK, but I LOVE the footy! It's so exciting! It's like the best of soccer, rugby and wrestling all in one...manly thighs (although they are but children to me now I'm old and sophisticated:wink: ), etc etc. Go Crows!!!

Otherwise, it must be very disappointing that you've travelled such a long way, just to end up somewhere you don't really like. Different states appeal to different people. Don't give up, I'm sure there's an Australia out there you will enjoy.

Good luck!

LC.

PS. SA is pretty cool, IMHO!

Ever heard the one about the "Wingeing Pom" ? .......perhaps Australia isn't for some people.

Eric.

Eric, yep called that many times, but it's fact that I'm stating. Everyone in Sydney that commutes moans about the traveling time, I just reiterate their moans and groans.

They also moan about the fact that the house prices are sky high. Some cheeky bast@rds even blame Poms for coming here, buying houses and fueling the rises.

No place is perfect and I think some truths will open their eyes abit (if their arrogance allows it).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dave53
Ever heard the one about the "Wingeing Pom" ? .......perhaps Australia isn't for some people.

Eric.

Tell you what , the Brits ( notice I didn't say Poms... ) may have invented whinging , but the Aussies have certainly perfected it !!..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lilly mist

:yes: Just a quick thought.....don't you think you should have looked at all these things before moving...hmmm......:biggrin:

Guest JRaj

It's a different prospect to check out a place and actually live there. I've learnt my lesson and and really doing my homework with Brisbane.

Sydney is like London in a lot of ways.....great to visit, sh1t place to live in.

Guest koala12

Don't agree with you JRaj, I actually lived not far from London before I moved to Sydney and I know where I prefer....

Karen

Guest JRaj
Don't agree with you JRaj, I actually lived not far from London before I moved to Sydney and I know where I prefer....

Karen

I used to live in Pinner which was a nice part of the London suburbs. I know that places like Elephant and Castle et al are dives, but look at the likes of Redfern.

I just think that Sydney is overated for what it is. There are far more beautiful parts of Australia than the hustle and bustle of Sydney.

BTW have you been down Parramatta Road.......are you telling me that's nice?

Guest koala12

There are good and bad suburbs in all cities, obviously the two you mentioned in Sydney aren't particularly nice and there are far better places to live than that!!! Different things appeal to different people and often you are ruled by a budget or work circumstances. That's why it's good to go to whichever City you want to settle in and travel around a bit until you find an area you feel you could live in.

• 3 weeks later...
I think if you live in any big city in the workd you will experience the same problems I live in Manchester in one of the suburbs and if I need to go to the shops I got tothe trafford centre or one of the retail parks - I hate going in to Manchester city centre I would never go there for a night out an would certainly not get a job in the city because I hate the fact that it is jam packed with people and it would take me well over an hour in rush hour traffic. At the minute I work for a large telecomminucation industry and it takes me 4 minutes to get to work!

If you dont like the hustle and bustle of Sydney why not consider moving to one of the suburbs like Koala says - or go to Brisbane for a holiday and see what you think.

Evereyones needs and likes are different you just have to find the one that suits you - me and hays could get to Brissy and hate it!!!! You never know.........................

chelle x

Hey chelle, you'll love Brisbane, it's one big Retail Park! even makes the Trafford Centre seem interesting.

I would never go anywhere other than Manchester city centre for a night out!.. takes me 12 minutes from Heald Green on the train. Sydney is my favourite place but unfortunately haven't got $3m for a big house...

Hey JRaj,

We all come to our own conculsions about our own lifes, you obviously have made a firm decision - lifes too short not to be happy, i wish you well where ever you lay your hat

gizmo

Hey JRaj,

We all come to our own conculsions about our own lifes, you obviously have made a firm decision - lifes too short not to be happy, i wish you well where ever you lay your hat

gizmo

Thanks. It's not only me that's made the decision about Sydney. Most of our Pom work colleagues feel the same too.

You would be surprised how many people are ditching Sydney for other places in Australia. My friend has been here for 20 years and lives in Hunters Hill (nice area), he has had enough of Sydney and has decided to live in Sanctuary Cove, QLD. (Yep he's loaded).

• 4 weeks later...

I live about 80ks south in the Illawarra, and its beautiful. Its only an hour into Sydney

Please don't spoil it for us Claire, I tell people it's rubbish so we have plenty of room on the beaches, he wouldn't handle the travelling on the F6.:arghh:

Archived