Help needed for an urgent flight back to UK

sadsmile23

I knew this day would come - my mum has taken all she can with her cancer treatments and it now looks as though she is reaching the final stages. I need to go back to say my goodbyes.

Trying to find a flight as cheap as possible - money is a real issue for us, being self employed we won't have any money coming in whilst I am away and the small amount of savings we do have here will barely cover the cost of a flight back - haven't found anything cheaper than $2300 (need to fly to Manchester)

Can anyone help with any ideas please?

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry to hear about your mum. Airlines do offer compassionate flights where they will get you on the soonest flight home. However, sometimes it is cheaper to book an ordinary ticket. Give the airlines a call explain what is happening back home and see what they can organise for you.

Big hugs

Guest cazbeckham

Sad

Try www.evaair.com they have some really cheap flights and am told are a great airline to fly with. Worth giving them a ring or even try United Arab Emirites

Just been chatting to my Daighter Johatts and she said if you ring Quantas or BA they usually have compasionate flight deals on offer.

Worth a try

Caz

Caz

Guest hannahf

Hi, we are in exactly the same position as you, OH's dad is in hospital been told he is critical and to get back asap, he has stomach cancer. I have been searching for flights for this sunday and it would appear etihad are the cheapest - they do fly to manchester which would be better for us but less choice so we are just going to go with heathrow and pick up a hire car. We are booking one way with the hope the rellies will pay for flights back. Best of luck and my thoughts are with you.

Guest daughter4evr
I knew this day would come - my mum has taken all she can with her cancer treatments and it now looks as though she is reaching the final stages. I need to go back to say my goodbyes.

Trying to find a flight as cheap as possible - money is a real issue for us, being self employed we won't have any money coming in whilst I am away and the small amount of savings we do have here will barely cover the cost of a flight back - haven't found anything cheaper than $2300 (need to fly to Manchester)

Sometimes airlines will let you fly foc if is for a family emergency - this was offerred to a friend of mine last year who ended up paying but maybe give BA/Qantas a call? feel for you, good luck

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jill

I am so very sorry to hear that it has come to this, though I know that you have known for a long time now that it would happen sooner or later.

When we had to do this because my father was dying, our experience was that the airlines will move heaven and earth to get you onto the first available flight - including chucking another passenger off onto a later flight if need be - but they do not do anything for free. They expect the normal cost for the flight.

Have a word with nigelinoz. He is a travel agent and so he might be able to get you a trade price for the flight:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/nigelinoz.html

For anybody reading this thread who has not had to face this situation but may have to at some stage, I cannot recommend Kinsure too highly:

Kinsure

Best wishes

Gill

Guest The Pom Queen

For anybody reading this thread who has not had to face this situation but may have to at some stage, I cannot recommend Kinsure too highly:

Kinsure

Best wishes

Gill

Gill do you know if Australians can purchase this insurance or is it just for those who are left behind?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi M2M

My sister in Perth has Kinsure cover. There may be an Ozzie version of the company, I suspect.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest brooksey

Have you thought about going to the airport and asking to be put on standby. If someone doesn't turn up then you get there place. Don't know if you pay full price or not. Good luck'

Just wanted to say thanks for all the well wishes and advice - my options are looking very limited at the moment - BA, Qantas, etc do not fly out of Perth, so I am restricted there - seems Emirates might be the best option now but no-one will offer any help with a discounted flight.

I'll keep at it and keep fingers crossed, but hope to be on my way in next 48 hours.....

Guest NikiOH

That's the day that all of us dread I think. Makes you realise how far away we are really.

I wish I had the money to say I will buy your flight, but we are desperate too. I'm so sorry - I hope you find a way soon. If my lotto numbers come up I'll make sure I let you know. Good luck and take care x

Just wanted to say thanks for all the well wishes and advice - my options are looking very limited at the moment - BA, Qantas, etc do not fly out of Perth, so I am restricted there - seems Emirates might be the best option now but no-one will offer any help with a discounted flight.

I'll keep at it and keep fingers crossed, but hope to be on my way in next 48 hours.....

Hi Sadsmile

I am really sorry to hear your sad news.

Are you 100% about Qantas, BA not flying out of Perth as I have just booked flight for a family member flying to Perth with Qantas so you would think if they fly in then they would fly out!

Maybe worth double checking

Good Luck

Emma

x

Guest yankee

Hi Sadsmile, i am so sorry to hear about your mom! That's a sad trip you are about to take. I had a look at kayak.com (which has already been suggested):

Just for search purposes, I searched under £ with the following search terms:

Perth to Manchester, leaving Thu 23 Apr 2009 – returning Wed 6 May 2009. I came up with the following:

£1036 KLM Royal Dutch / Multiple Airlines

PER 16:25 - MAN 16:40

MAN 08:35 - PER 00:30

-------

£1051 KLM Royal Dutch /Air France

PER 16:25 - MAN 19:40

MAN 10:30 - PER 00:30

-------

£1138 Emirates

PER 06:00 - MAN 20:50

MAN 19:05 - PER 00:55

------

£1148 Singapore Air

PER 15:55 - MAN 09:50

MAN 06:40 - PER 14:35

---------

Here's the Info for Qantas, they do fly from Perth to Manchester. Although this below says "travel within Australia" it's worth a call:

To support our customers in times of bereavement or life threatening illness Qantas provides a special compassionate fare for immediate family for travel within Australia. Qantas receives many requests for compassionate travel so you will need to provide details that will allow us to verify the situation. To book or for more details contact Telephone sales on 13 13 13 or contact your local Qantas office.

--------

A few variations however can actually change the prices a bit. Today (Tuesday) is usually a good time to book, especially later today. Also, if you can fly back on A tuesday or Wednesday, that usually also helps to push a price down as most people travel around the weekend, and often airlines sell their seats cheaper on other days.

Both Singapore and Emirates have the shortest flight times of them, due to there not being another Airline involved. In regards to compassionate faires, usually information regarding them is not found on the airlines website, so it is a good idea to actually call them up and ask for a supervisor/manager right away.

I wish you the best of luck with booking your trip and getting there fast. And I wish you strenght to cope with your situation.

try singapore airline they are low at the moment

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Sadsmile, so sorry to hear this news.

Try Tiger Airways from Perth to Singapore and Etihad Airways from Singapore to Manchester as this looks relatively cheap for Thursday 23rd April for example.

Hope that helps,

All the best

Dan

Guest Mystery^Customer1974

I am not much use I'm afraid but I hope you manage to get back to the UK in time don't know what else to say other than If you get back in time and can smile through any of these testing times you will make the passage easier for your dear Mother our thoughts are with you on this journey and we wish comfort be with her

All the best for your journey from Mystery^Customer1974 (pete) Fiona 1975 (fiona) Courtney and Daniel and I'm sure form all the rst of the members on here.

Guest andrew_obrien

Lastminute.com do a flight on the 24 from perth to manchester with cathey pacific for £765 1 way hope this helps

Thanks again for all the suggestions and offers of help - I do need a return flight, unfortunately my stay in the UK can only be a relatively short one of maybe around 10 days - I am leaving 3 children behind in Australia so making arrangements for them for any longer is just impossible.

Am trying to look at all ways of getting there - have found a "cheap" Malaysian flight, but it means waiting in KL airport for 12 hours changeover and then I still have the problem of getting from Heathrow back up north when I get there.

Not giving up though, will keep at it.

Thanks again x

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Sadsmile,

I have sent you a PM and will keep searching for a direct Manchester fare for you.

Keep your chin up,will keep in touch.

N'OZ

Edited to add I can get you on a KLM flight for $2132.13,which isn't that much cheaper than the Emirates fare you were quoted but if you are interested I can send you the details.

Archived