find it difficult to obtain a TFN

Dravest

Hello everyone, I'm facing a dilemma regarding my residency status in Australia.

I arrived in Australia in 2014 and have been living here continuously since then.

However, my residency visa expired on the 19th of March 2019, and I'm now unable to apply for a Resident Return 5 Year (subclass 155) visa.

My situation is complicated by the fact that I come from a third world country where civil war has disrupted documentation processes.

As a result, obtaining essential documents like a birth certificate or citizenship proof has been challenging.

Currently, I have limited forms of identification, such as a learner's permit, Medicare card, debit card, and bank statement.

Unfortunately, these are not sufficient to meet the requirements for obtaining a Tax File Number (TFN), leaving me taxed at a higher rate of 47% for my work  I'm seeking advice on how to navigate this situation.

Any suggestions on obtaining necessary identification documents or alternative solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and assistance!

5 hours ago, Dravest said:

Hello everyone, I'm facing a dilemma regarding my residency status in Australia.

I arrived in Australia in 2014 and have been living here continuously since then.

However, my residency visa expired on the 19th of March 2019, and I'm now unable to apply for a Resident Return 5 Year (subclass 155) visa.

My situation is complicated by the fact that I come from a third world country where civil war has disrupted documentation processes.

As a result, obtaining essential documents like a birth certificate or citizenship proof has been challenging.

Currently, I have limited forms of identification, such as a learner's permit, Medicare card, debit card, and bank statement.

Unfortunately, these are not sufficient to meet the requirements for obtaining a Tax File Number (TFN), leaving me taxed at a higher rate of 47% for my work  I'm seeking advice on how to navigate this situation.

Any suggestions on obtaining necessary identification documents or alternative solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and assistance!

Sorry but your post is a bit confusing. 

If your residency visa expired in 2019, what is your current status in Australia? Are you on a Bridging Visa?  Are you there illegally? You can't get a RRV if you don't have a current PR visa. What visa were you on in 2019?

Do you mean that the travel portion of your visa expired in 2019?

4 hours ago, Nemesis said:

If your residency visa expired in 2019, what is your current status in Australia? Are you on a Bridging Visa?  Are you there illegally? You can't get a RRV if you don't have a current PR visa. What visa were you on in 2019?

I'm equally confused.  If you're eligible to work legally in Australia, then you're eligible for a TFN.
I think this one's beyond us normies - this sounds like absolute, categorical RMA territory.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dravest said:

If you had a valid 189 or 190 visa, it doesn't matter that the travel facility has expired.   As long as you don't leave Australia, your visa remains valid and you don't need a RRV.  You need a RRV only if you want to leave Australia temporarily (e.g. for a holiday).  

If you have your foreign passport you can apply with that

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals-and-families/tax-file-number/apply-for-a-tfn/foreign-passport-holders-permanent-migrants-and-temporary-visitors-tfn-application

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BendigoBoy said:

I'm equally confused.  If you're eligible to work legally in Australia, then you're eligible for a TFN.
I think this one's beyond us normies -

5 hours ago, Nemesis said:

this sounds like absolute, categorical RMA territory.

"Thank you for your questions and concerns. To address your inquiries:

Yes, I am a Permanent Resident (PR) of Australia, which means I have the right to stay in the country permanently. However, my residency visa expired in 2019, and I am currently facing challenges in obtaining necessary identification documents.

To clarify, I am not on a Bridging Visa, nor am I in Australia illegally. My status as a PR allows me to stay in Australia permanently, but without valid identification documents, I am unable to access certain services and benefits.

The main issue I'm encountering is the difficulty in obtaining essential documents such as a passport or birth certificate, particularly due to disruptions in the documentation processes in my home country.

I am actively exploring alternative options and seeking advice on how to navigate this situation. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support as I work through these challenges."

1 hour ago, BendigoBoy said:

I think this one's beyond us normies - this sounds like absolute, categorical RMA territory.

i think it is mate 😭i'll try and make it easier to undertsand i'm a PR so i'm legally here but most PR get their visa renewed before 5 years i didn';t renew becausse my fatehr couldn't be bothered to as i was too young to understand any of it & is now causing issues in obatining legal documents mostly category a documents which are citizenship,birth certificate, passport, Drivers license, Immicard, i have every other document only 1 category A (leaners permit) but To apply for a TFN you do need one primary identity document, like a passport or a birth certificate. Without one of those the application won't be accepted so that's my main issue 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

If you had a valid 189 or 190 visa, it doesn't matter that the travel facility has expired.   As long as you don't leave Australia, your visa remains valid and you don't need a RRV.  You need a RRV only if you want to leave Australia temporarily (e.g. for a holiday).  

If you have your foreign passport you can apply with that

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals-and-families/tax-file-number/apply-for-a-tfn/foreign-passport-holders-permanent-migrants-and-temporary-visitors-tfn-application

i was trying to obtain an RRv as a category A document to get my citizenship than get a TFN but seems like i have to go through a different process thanks for your input greatly appreacitate you taking time our your day to help

45 minutes ago, Dravest said:

i think it is mate 😭i'll try and make it easier to undertsand i'm a PR so i'm legally here but most PR get their visa renewed before 5 years i didn';t renew becausse my fatehr couldn't be bothered to as i was too young to understand any of it & is now causing issues in obatining legal documents mostly category a documents which are citizenship,birth certificate, passport, Drivers license, Immicard, i have every other document only 1 category A (leaners permit) but To apply for a TFN you do need one primary identity document, like a passport or a birth certificate. Without one of those the application won't be accepted so that's my main issue 

Aw mate, I have no advice to offer.  But I really hope you can find a resolution to this.  

1 hour ago, Dravest said:

Permanent residency does not expire.  People with PR do not need to get their visa renewed. Surely you have documentation to prove you are a permanent resident.  How old are you?  Have you not got the passport from your own country to use as some sort of identification?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toots said:

Permanent residency does not expire.  People with PR do not need to get their visa renewed. Surely you have documentation to prove you are a permanent resident.  How old are you?  Have you not got the passport from your own country to use as some sort of identification?

I undestand that it's just to be able to use to obatin a TFn or a citizenship is what i need the renewal for & def can't do a passport r get a birth certificate from my home country since it's still establishinbg their goverment system, 

49 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

Aw mate, I have no advice to offer.  But I really hope you can find a resolution to this.  

slowly getting there should be alright though got some good advice from the ATO & homeaffairs but yh they did say it's a rough situation 

• Like 2

You must have had documentation somewhere for the pr application. Even an expired passport should work. Do your parents not have any records, even digital ones from that time?

Do you have a Medicare card even?

I don’t think a migration agent can help unless one was used for the pr application and still holds records.

I would seek help from your local MP they should have an office locally and may be able to point you in the right direction or intercede on your behalf. I’m sure you are not the only one in this situation, for example many refugees arrive with nothing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dravest said:

Yes, I am a Permanent Resident (PR) of Australia, which means I have the right to stay in the country permanently. However, my residency visa expired in 2019, and I am currently facing challenges in obtaining necessary identification documents.

To clarify, I am not on a Bridging Visa, nor am I in Australia illegally. My status as a PR allows me to stay in Australia permanently, but without valid identification documents, I am unable to access certain services and benefits.

The main issue I'm encountering is the difficulty in obtaining essential documents such as a passport or birth certificate, particularly due to disruptions in the documentation processes in my home country.

I am actively exploring alternative options and seeking advice on how to navigate this situation. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support as I work through these challenges."

Your PR visa does not expire. Only the travel facility expires. If you stay onshore it is valid for life.

My sister in law had a PR visa for 25 years before she decided to become a citizen. She never left the country so didn't need a RRV. She had a TFN and everything else that goes with being a permanent resident.

Where are the documents that you used to get PR in the first place?

2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Your PR visa does not expire. Only the travel facility expires. If you stay onshore it is valid for life.

My sister in law had a PR visa for 25 years before she decided to become a citizen. She never left the country so didn't need a RRV. She had a TFN and everything else that goes with being a permanent resident.

Where are the documents that you used to get PR in the first place?

it's a humain tairain PR visa & i'm only 18 so was too young to know anything took years since i was 6 yrs to come to austarlia got here when i was 9 in 2014

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

You must have had documentation somewhere for the pr application. Even an expired passport should work. Do your parents not have any records, even digital ones from that time?

Do you have a Medicare card even?

I don’t think a migration agent can help unless one was used for the pr application and still holds records.

I would seek help from your local MP they should have an office locally and may be able to point you in the right direction or intercede on your behalf. I’m sure you are not the only one in this situation, for example many refugees arrive with nothing!

Yh i got everything except primary documents. got some advice from the ATO & Home affairs & applied for an Immicard so i can get a tax file number & can get my citizenship & passport along the way so eveyrhting is gouing well thanks to eveyrone pointing me in the right direction 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Dravest said:

Yh i got everything except primary documents. got some advice from the ATO & Home affairs & applied for an Immicard so i can get a tax file number & can get my citizenship & passport along the way so eveyrhting is gouing well thanks to eveyrone pointing me in the right direction 

Hopefully that citizenship application is sorted out nice and quickly for you, mate.  Then hopefully no need for you to concern yourself over your docos from there on out. 💜

On 10/04/2024 at 06:59, Dravest said:

Perhaps you need to apply for Australian Citizenship.