Dual Citizenship Question

vegemight82

6 hours ago, vegemight82 said:

Little to no info for me, my "ceremony" was at the height of Covid so didn't get much info besides take your mask off for the picture.

Same, no frills, minimal  ceremony and collect your certificate on the way out, we didn’t even have photos, still waiting for my tree 🌲 

• Like 1

Given the crankiness of previous comments, it appears that some may have forgotten their daily dose of glucosamine!

Have you ever considered what may seem blatantly obvious to you with your lifetime's worth of experience, isn't even be a blip on the radar of someone half your age? Only yesterday I had a teenager ask me if I could show him how to tie his school tie. I asked him if he'd ever asked his parents, to which he replied he had but they didn't know either. There is actually no such thing as 'common sense'. It's just our understanding drawn from knowledge and experiences we are very familiar with. From the sounds of it the OP made a genuine mistaken by not realizing the significance of the Australian passport in terms of travel requirements, and I doubt they'll make the same mistake again.

And to put the record straight, holding an Australian passport is not a responsibility - it's a privilege.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship-subsite/Pages/Learn-about-being-an-Australian.aspx#

Responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship

Responsibilities - what you will give Australia

As an Australian citizen you must:

• obey the laws of Australia
  • vote in federal and state or territory elections, and in a referendum
  • defend Australia should the need arise
  • serve on jury duty if called to do so

Privileges - what Australia will give you

As an Australian citizen you can:

• apply for children born overseas to become Australian citizens by descent
  • apply for a job in the Australian Public Service or in the Australian Defence Force
  • seek election to parliament
  • apply for an Australian passport and re-enter Australia freely
  • ask for consular assistance from an Australian official while overseas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

Given the crankiness of previous comments, it appears that some may have forgotten their daily dose of glucosamine!

Have you ever considered what may seem blatantly obvious to you with your lifetime's worth of experience, isn't even be a blip on the radar of someone half your age? Only yesterday I had a teenager ask me if I could show him how to tie his school tie. I asked him if he'd ever asked his parents, to which he replied he had but they didn't know either. There is actually no such thing as 'common sense'. It's just our understanding drawn from knowledge and experiences we are very familiar with. From the sounds of it the OP made a genuine mistaken by not realizing the significance of the Australian passport in terms of travel requirements, and I doubt they'll make the same mistake again.

I think you'll find that its not a case of people being cranky, some of us have actually tried to help by pointing out that you CAN get on a flight without a passport, but it can mean hassles and delays. I certainly appreciate that not everyone does as much research as I did before becoming a citizen - have to say the sole reason I did it was because research proved that for me a passport was cheaper than repeated RRVs. Personally speaking it wasn't so much a "privilege" as a necessary evil.

I've also answered the questions about other countries insisting on their own passport use, as I know that not known by everyone. It may well be when the UK introduces its e-visa system in the next couple of years that things will change for UK citizens and we will possibly have to leave and enter on UK passports, which will be info widely shared on here and similar forums, I'm sure.

Thats all help and info shared because many of us appreciate that not everyone is aware of info that some of us take for granted. If you call giving out info like that "crankiness" then maybe I'll just stop and let people go back to muddling their own way through.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nemesis said:

I think you'll find that its not a case of people being cranky

I thought your comments were very helpful @Nemesis, but there were others which were condescending and factually incorrect. I chose to draw attention to that in a light-hearted manner to avoid further unpleasantness.

I've been following PiO for many years, and more recently have been making a contribution. During that time I've found it to be an invaluable source of information, courtesy of some of the more-helpful and knowledgeable members. However, I can recall many occasions in recent months where newer members have expressed dismay at negative and unpleasant remarks made by more-established members, and have stated they will no longer be contributing. It may well explain why the numbers on here have dwindled so much in recent years when compared with other expat forums.

Telling another member that they're inconsiderate/irresponsible and to 'man up' is just plain offensive, but when the majority following thread appear to agree with that comment then it's tantamount to online bullying. It's very poor show and as the old saying goes, if you haven't got anything nice to say then just don't say anything at all!

• Like 1

Thank you @InnerVoice that's awesome info. Much appreciated.

17 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

And to put the record straight, holding an Australian passport is not a responsibility - it's a privilege.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship-subsite/Pages/Learn-about-being-an-Australian.aspx#

Responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship

Responsibilities - what you will give Australia

As an Australian citizen you must:

• obey the laws of Australia
  • defend Australia should the need arise
  • serve on jury duty if called to do so

Privileges - what Australia will give you

As an Australian citizen you can:

• apply for children born overseas to become Australian citizens by descent
  • apply for a job in the Australian Public Service or in the Australian Defence Force
  • seek election to parliament
  • apply for an Australian passport and re-enter Australia freely
  • ask for consular assistance from an Australian official while overseas

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Arrive at UK...look at queues. Choose quickest passport to enter, which you then also use to leave. 

It's the same queue:

"

There are over 270 eGates in place at 15 air and rail ports in the UK to enable quicker travel into the UK.

You can normally use eGates if you:

• have a biometric symbol on the cover of your passport
  • are aged 10+ (10 to 17 year olds must be accompanied by an adult)
  • are either:
    • a British citizen
    • a national of an EU country, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or the USA
    • a member of the Registered Traveller Service"

On 25/04/2024 at 19:27, paulhand said:

Except when the eGates blow up 🙂 

In the late 2010's I renewed by British Passport and used it right away. The find the eGates software hadn't been updated in work with the new issue British passport. Oddly enough it worked fine in Australia and the Netherlands... I had to use the standard manual desk.