Teaching in Australia

Pip87

Hi all, 

I’m a little confused with the teaching requirements in Australia and would love some clarity! 

So here in the U.K., I work as a special educational needs and disabilities Teacher.  I have a 3 year BA Hons in Early Years and Education Studies, which I followed with Schools Direct Teacher training and then I’ve also got a MEd in Autism (children). 

From what I have researched, Australia do not accept the Schools Direct training. But some people have informed me that they do accept a masters degree in its place? Others have told me they don’t unless it’s more teaching specific. 

So, how do I know if my masters degree is considered valid for teaching? My masters is in autism so not teaching specific so I’m a bit unsure of whether this degree will allow me to be considered as qualified as a teacher in Australia. Can anyone please direct me for further information? 

Hoping to teach in Melbourne or Perth as I know it varies from state to state too just to add to my confusion! 

Thank you in advance for any help! 

I'd do as Quoll has suggested first, and if you draw a blank then look into doing a PGCE. I believe you can still get funding (including a bursary in some situations) even if you have already completed a Masters degree. I'm guessing from you username you're 36, so you've still got time on your side.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Quoll said:

Not unless your masters includes the pre-requisite number of supervised teaching days under the auspices of a University. You could always submit your qualifications for assessment and see what they say though. 

Thank you for your reply- No my masters didn’t include supervised teaching.It was  specific to autism and therefore not focused towards teaching itself. 

Given I’m currently qualified and working as a teacher here, can that not be used for experience? Saying that though, I guess because that experience not been supervised by a university though it won’t be considered. Hmmm…so basically I need to get 45 days of my teaching supervised by a university. I’m not even sure how I would go about that here..
Thank you for your help, need to do a bit more research and see what I can do to get qualified in Australia! :) 

9 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

I'd do as Quoll has suggested first, and if you draw a blank then look into doing a PGCE. I believe you can still get funding (including a bursary in some situations) even if you have already completed a Masters degree. I'm guessing from you username you're 36, so you've still got time on your side.

Oh really? I didn’t think you could get anymore funding from Student Finance if you already had a post grad degree. Will look into this, thank you for your reply. Preferably I would just want to get the 45 days of supervised teaching signed off by a university as that would be easier and quicker than doing a PGCE. I’m not sure if my local uni do this, will get in touch with them and see if they can help. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pip87 said:

Oh really? I didn’t think you could get anymore funding from Student Finance if you already had a post grad degree. Will look into this, thank you for your reply. Preferably I would just want to get the 45 days of supervised teaching signed off by a university as that would be easier and quicker than doing a PGCE. I’m not sure if my local uni do this, will get in touch with them and see if they can help. 

I can only speak from my own experience and everything changes so quickly of course, but I completed an MSc in the 90s and did my PGCE in 2008/9, which was fully-funded, and I also received a small bursary for living expenses. It's much better if you don't have to mess around with all that and you can get your supervised teaching experience signed off, but it's always good to have a Plan B.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

I can only speak from my own experience and everything changes so quickly of course, but I completed an MSc in the 90s and did my PGCE in 2008/9, which was fully-funded, and I also received a small bursary for living expenses. It's much better if you don't have to mess around with all that and you can get your supervised teaching experience signed off, but it's always good to have a Plan B.

I know, it changes all the time doesn’t it! I didn’t realise that Australia didn’t accept School Based teacher training, wish I’d done a PGCE now as it would have made life a lot easier! 

Going to send an email off to my local uni and see if it’s possible to get my 45 days signed off by them. If not then I’ll have to do a PGCE but reluctant to do that considering I’ve already done my schools direct teacher training but looking at it as a means to an end if it means I can teach in Australia. 

Otherwise, might see what other jobs I can do over there! 

Edited by Pip87
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pip87 said:

I know, it changes all the time doesn’t it! I didn’t realise that Australia didn’t accept School Based teacher training, wish I’d done a PGCE now as it would have made life a lot easier! 

Going to send an email off to my local uni and see if it’s possible to get my 45 days signed off by them. If not then I’ll have to do a PGCE but reluctant to do that considering I’ve already done my schools direct teacher training but looking at it as a means to an end if it means I can teach in Australia. 

Otherwise, might see what other jobs I can do over there! 

The teaching route is probably your best bet of getting in at the moment, and I would do what @Quoll suggested and submit your qualifications for assessment. If acceptable, they are likely to request further information in a very specific way, so you're better finding out what they want first before approaching the universities where you completed your qualifications.

Edited by InnerVoice
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm a bit confused. I don't think you can go to any university and ask them to supervise 45 days of teaching, unconnected to a qualification? 

I’ve just been researching this since I posted and no you can’t. You have to do it as part of an accredited course. Looks like I’ll either have to do a PGCE or find another job with my qualifications. 

11 hours ago, Pip87 said:

I’ve just been researching this since I posted and no you can’t. You have to do it as part of an accredited course. Looks like I’ll either have to do a PGCE or find another job with my qualifications. 

Before the job will be the visa! That'll be your first hurdle.  If you get in then I don't think you need to be worried about a job, autism is very big here and there will be all sorts of niche roles you could probably slot into. Around here we have "experts" in autism in private practice working with families on behavioural issues etc. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Quoll said:

Before the job will be the visa! That'll be your first hurdle.  If you get in then I don't think you need to be worried about a job, autism is very big here and there will be all sorts of niche roles you could probably slot into. Around here we have "experts" in autism in private practice working with families on behavioural issues etc. 

It’s such a muddle to figure out what to focus on first! 😂 my thought process is to find out if I’m qualified to do my job over there as that will  inform my visa but yes you are right it probably should be visa first before job!

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I just noticed this comment.  Does that mean you're planning to come on a Working Holiday Visa?   

Unfortunately I’m too old for a WHV! I just meant just other jobs I could do with my qualifications that aren’t necessarily teaching x 

1 hour ago, Pip87 said:

Unfortunately I’m too old for a WHV! I just meant just other jobs I could do with my qualifications that aren’t necessarily teaching x 

There might be jobs you could do with your qualifications, but that doesn't mean that they are jobs on the skills lists that would actually get you a visa, or that those qualifications would get you through a skills assessment.

Have you thought of consulting a registered migration agent at all?

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

There might be jobs you could do with your qualifications, but that doesn't mean that they are jobs on the skills lists that would actually get you a visa, or that those qualifications would get you through a skills assessment.

Have you thought of consulting a registered migration agent at all?

It’s on my to do list! Will be using the Down Under Centre which seem to be popular and have good reviews.  I’m just in the very early stages of all this so just researching at the moment what is feasible etc. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time at a migration agent if teaching in Australia is a complete no go with me not having a PGCE. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pip87 said:

It’s on my to do list! Will be using the Down Under Centre which seem to be popular and have good reviews.  I’m just in the very early stages of all this so just researching at the moment what is feasible etc. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time at a migration agent if teaching in Australia is a complete no go with me not having a PGCE. 

Ask them. They’re the experts and time is of the essence. It will save you time and give you an actual, real answer. You may not be able to pass an AITSL skills assessment but there could be sponsorship routes open to you which circumvent that - DUC will know if you have any options. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pip87 said:

We've had some members who've used DUC without issues but others have complained that although they have MARA registered agents on staff, most of the work is delegated to junior staff and that has led to mistakes.  Get a quote from Suncoast Migration, Go Matilda or Andre Burger.

• Thanks 1

From my experience school direct isn't accepted neither is a 3 year degree through AITSL. Were you funded whilst doing schools direct or fee paying, that can sometimes make a difference. If your Masters was Autism in Education that may have been acceptable to AITSL, but it seems a bit of a lottery. Frustratingly TRBWA (WA's teaching board) would accept your registration however you need to receive a visa first and this is through AITSL considering your teaching degree and qualifications equivalent to Australia. To top it all there are plenty of 3 year trained teachers in Principal roles and the likes in WA, so don't get me started on that. My background is SEN and autism, if you were over in WA I'd be able to get you a job in a heartbeat at the moment so to read this is frustrating for me! There's a real shortage of qualified SEN teachers with experience and knowledge. 

When I left for Oz nearly 8 years ago now you also couldn't complete a PGCE if you had already obtained QTS. In the eyes of England and Wales you were already a qualified teacher and therefore couldn't register for it. I'm happy to be corrected! I did a SCITT and originally got rejected, I looked into doing a PGCE elsewhere but would have had to go to Scotland!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/09/2023 at 13:13, benj1980 said:

From my experience school direct isn't accepted neither is a 3 year degree through AITSL. Were you funded whilst doing schools direct or fee paying, that can sometimes make a difference. If your Masters was Autism in Education that may have been acceptable to AITSL, but it seems a bit of a lottery. Frustratingly TRBWA (WA's teaching board) would accept your registration however you need to receive a visa first and this is through AITSL considering your teaching degree and qualifications equivalent to Australia. To top it all there are plenty of 3 year trained teachers in Principal roles and the likes in WA, so don't get me started on that. My background is SEN and autism, if you were over in WA I'd be able to get you a job in a heartbeat at the moment so to read this is frustrating for me! There's a real shortage of qualified SEN teachers with experience and knowledge. 

When I left for Oz nearly 8 years ago now you also couldn't complete a PGCE if you had already obtained QTS. In the eyes of England and Wales you were already a qualified teacher and therefore couldn't register for it. I'm happy to be corrected! I did a SCITT and originally got rejected, I looked into doing a PGCE elsewhere but would have had to go to Scotland!

Thank you for the reply!

I did the schools direct salaried route- so I got an unqualified teacher salary whilst training and the fees were paid by my school. 

It’s SO frustrating! I wish I’d done a PGCE as it would have made life so much easier! So now I’m stuck really as I don’t have the right type of QTS required for Australia but to remedy this, I now can’t do a PGCE here which IS accepted for Australia because for all intents and purposes here I already have QTS!  

If I can work my way round it, then I’ll be coming straight to you for a job, lol! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheery Thistle said:

You’ll have to see if you can get sponsorship, think that might be your only route. Or check if you can do a PGCE somewhere. Good luck. 

Would getting sponsorship make a difference, though?  I always understood the requirements for qualifications and experience were the same as for other skilled visas.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pip87 said:

Thank you for the reply!

I did the schools direct salaried route- so I got an unqualified teacher salary whilst training and the fees were paid by my school. 

It’s SO frustrating! I wish I’d done a PGCE as it would have made life so much easier! So now I’m stuck really as I don’t have the right type of QTS required for Australia but to remedy this, I now can’t do a PGCE here which IS accepted for Australia because for all intents and purposes here I already have QTS!  

If I can work my way round it, then I’ll be coming straight to you for a job, lol! 

I would speak to a good registered migration agent to see if there is a way forward. 

• Like 1