Teaching in Australia

Pip87

On 15/09/2023 at 17:08, Marisawright said:

Aha.  @benj1980 will know.

I have confirmed with the Department of Education WA today that if you go the 482 visa route you won't need to complete an AITSL assessment. I was also told if you were to require a AITSL assessment further down the track having worked and been registered by TRBWA to switch visa, AITSL would look favourably on your application even if it was through a SCITT - this is a very new agreement in place with state governments.

The person I spoke to couldn't confirm case by case scenarios but suggested someone with a PGCE including SCITT would qualify for sponsorship. The grey area would be a three year teaching degree followed by further study. You would need to contact the email address below directly to discuss your situation:

international.recruitment@education.wa.edu.au

My new contact was very helpful and committed to bringing over teachers to WA, I appreciate it is his job but he was aware of SCITT models of training and on how that is impacting their recruitment campaigns. I get the impression there is a balancing act between Federal and State policies and that they aren't completely aligned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I have confirmed with the Department of Education WA today that if you go the 482 visa route you won't need to complete an AITSL assessment. I was also told if you were to require a AITSL assessment further down the track having worked and been registered by TRBWA to switch visa, AITSL would look favourably on your application even if it was through a SCITT - this is a very new agreement in place with state governments.

The person I spoke to couldn't confirm case by case scenarios but suggested someone with a PGCE including SCITT would qualify for sponsorship. The grey area would be a three year teaching degree followed by further study. You would need to contact the email address below directly to discuss your situation:

international.recruitment@education.wa.edu.au

My new contact was very helpful and committed to bringing over teachers to WA, I appreciate it is his job but he was aware of SCITT models of training and on how that is impacting their recruitment campaigns. I get the impression there is a balancing act between Federal and State policies and that they aren't completely aligned.

Thank you so much for this @benj1980 It’s so helpful to have an actual email address to get in touch with rather than read lots of conflicting information on the internet! Not only that but I had a Skype with a so called migration expert yesterday and he completely dodged my questions re my qualifications etc and said I’d have absolutely no problems whatsoever teaching in Australia. Thankfully I’ve done my own research and with all the info given on this thread, I already knew that I have a few hurdles ahead of me! 

Will email them re my qualifications etc and see what they say. I’ll let you know how I get on! 

Thank you everyone x 

• Like 3

On 10/09/2023 at 07:58, Pip87 said:
On 09/09/2023 at 13:19, Quoll said:

Not unless your masters includes the pre-requisite number of supervised teaching days under the auspices of a University. You could always submit your qualifications for assessment and see what they say though. 

Thank you for your reply- No my masters didn’t include supervised teaching.It was  specific to autism and therefore not focused towards teaching itself. 

Given I’m currently qualified and working as a teacher here, can that not be used for experience? Saying that though, I guess because that experience not been supervised by a university though it won’t be considered. Hmmm…so basically I need to get 45 days of my teaching supervised by a university. I’m not even sure how I would go about that here..
Thank you for your help, need to do a bit more research and see what I can do to get qualified in Australia! 🙂

Hi,

You would need  an education qualification to teach here (certainly I can talk about SA). Teachers either do a four year teaching degree with teaching prac every year. They then have to pass something called a GTPA (a final teaching project, consisting of a learning sequence they compile, and a longer teaching prac). The other alternative is to do a 2 year Masters course. You will not be recognised for prior teaching experience overseas, or a qualification other than a PGCE, even if that seems unfair. 

• Like 1

On 23/09/2023 at 14:50, Pip87 said:

Thank you so much for this @benj1980 It’s so helpful to have an actual email address to get in touch with rather than read lots of conflicting information on the internet! Not only that but I had a Skype with a so called migration expert yesterday and he completely dodged my questions re my qualifications etc and said I’d have absolutely no problems whatsoever teaching in Australia. Thankfully I’ve done my own research and with all the info given on this thread, I already knew that I have a few hurdles ahead of me! 

Will email them re my qualifications etc and see what they say. I’ll let you know how I get on! 

Thank you everyone x 

No worries, hope it helps!