Big move X2 😬😬

Huntersmummy

Hello guys!!

I was an old time annoyance 😎 on this site after I moved from Scotland to Darwin but that was 7 years ago!

Now after spending 7 years in Darwin. Let me just say what an experience…

Not my cup of tea if I’m honest. Beautiful places, met some wonderful people but it’s a place….in my opinion, if your born and bred here, your fine. I had a very hard time adjusting from life in Scotland. Darwins brutal. No middle ground, they either hate you or like you. The heat, the wet season, the locals who don’t like ANYONE from outside Darwin. (I work in a pub so I hear it all the time) 😬
So anyways, kids, husband and I have decided to move down to Mandurah. 
Never been to Perth before or anywhere outside of Darwin. 
We literally picked a place on the map and said yup! That’ll do! 😄

So we’re leaving May 5th. 
Any advice on what it’s like there and if anyone from there would fancy meeting up when we arrive 😁😁😁

Sarah ❤️

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Have you read up on Mandurah? Not a place I would move to. Although on paper I admit it does tick off a few points. Close to Perth. Affordable housing. Beaches . Loads of social issues and drugs though. 

I'm sure no worse than someone working in a bar in Darwin has had to deal with.  

Good luck with your move!  The climate will certainly be a lot nice to live with.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Huntersmummy said:

Hello guys!!

I was an old time annoyance 😎 on this site after I moved from Scotland to Darwin but that was 7 years ago!

Now after spending 7 years in Darwin. Let me just say what an experience…

Not my cup of tea if I’m honest. Beautiful places, met some wonderful people but it’s a place….in my opinion, if your born and bred here, your fine. I had a very hard time adjusting from life in Scotland. Darwins brutal. No middle ground, they either hate you or like you. The heat, the wet season, the locals who don’t like ANYONE from outside Darwin. (I work in a pub so I hear it all the time) 😬
So anyways, kids, husband and I have decided to move down to Mandurah. 
Never been to Perth before or anywhere outside of Darwin. 
We literally picked a place on the map and said yup! That’ll do! 😄

So we’re leaving May 5th. 
Any advice on what it’s like there and if anyone from there would fancy meeting up when we arrive 😁😁😁

Sarah ❤️

Good luck with your move, keep in touch to let us know how you get on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm sure no worse than someone working in a bar in Darwin has had to deal with.  

Good luck with your move!  The climate will certainly be a lot nice to live with.

Hardly the point though is it? The negatives may prove attractive to the poster. I've no idea. But regardless, the poster has the right to know Mandurah has the title of methamphetamine capital of Western Australia. 

Not a place I'd even consider , to be frank, but little in WA these days not tainted. 

29 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Hardly the point though is it? The negatives may prove attractive to the poster. I've no idea. But regardless, the poster has the right to know Mandurah has the title of methamphetamine capital of Western Australia. 

Not a place I'd even consider , to be frank, but little in WA these days not tainted. 

A quick google shows crime stats in Mandurah are generally lower than Darwin, although drug taking is higher that doesn't appear to be passing onto other crime.

Crime Comparison Between Darwin, Australia And Mandurah, Australia. Safety Comparison. (numbeo.com)

I have researched to a degree! Of course what Mandurah has to offer. It’s not a definite. My jobs based there so until we get down there and have a scout around. 
we literally landed in darwin, viewed our current house, got it within 3 days and the rest is history. I might be in the hope of that happening again. 
In fairness, seeing the drug use here on a daily basis is almost the normal. More the indigenous but the white population has its fair share. 
I’ve had 25 kick outs in a 3 hour shift. Multiple break ins. Baggies in the toilet. Assaults. All in one week. 
I guess it’s where you are in darwin. 🤔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5000/1 said:

Not lived in Mandurah but visited many times and thought the place was really nice.

although not been there late at night clubbing so not sure what the evenings are like 😎

Just shows how appearances can be deceiving. Drug capital of WA. Most hard drug deaths as well for its population. I know an eighty something year old man that was mugged down there (former POM) It was on the news and was lucky to still be here. 

I understand the drugs may well be an incentive for some more likely in the hope to make some easy money. Heaps of Mandurah cars in my Perth locality over past few years as drug business has really taken off. 

3 hours ago, Huntersmummy said:

I have researched to a degree! Of course what Mandurah has to offer. It’s not a definite. My jobs based there so until we get down there and have a scout around. 
we literally landed in darwin, viewed our current house, got it within 3 days and the rest is history. I might be in the hope of that happening again. 
In fairness, seeing the drug use here on a daily basis is almost the normal. More the indigenous but the white population has its fair share. 
I’ve had 25 kick outs in a 3 hour shift. Multiple break ins. Baggies in the toilet. Assaults. All in one week. 

Yes Darwin is bad as is much of Australia. Still Perth is the meth capital of the nation, and probably of the world. It was a multi billion dollar business back in 2017, and has escalated since. All around me and doubt if any suburb escapes it. 

Here it is not the users, but the well to do manufactures. A problem of massive proportions that is not being addressed. Don't get the violence of late as very disciplined , blinds drawn, home all day without much of a sound sort of thing. But still saw money pass hands tonight, with a bicycle being used to transport drugs and loaded into the back of a car. A not unusual way to transport drugs. 

Darwin is the place for break-ins. Hence so many houses having rather large dogs. I lived up there in 97. From what I hear it has got worse in crime stats . Always was quite a lot of violence. 

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

A quick google shows crime stats in Mandurah are generally lower than Darwin, although drug taking is higher that doesn't appear to be passing onto other crime.

Crime Comparison Between Darwin, Australia And Mandurah, Australia. Safety Comparison. (numbeo.com)

As expressed Mandurah has a severe drug problem as the stats you tendered bare out. It is known as  drug capital of WA. You may not the lack of safety in going out after dark. Not a lot better than Darwin. Crime is high down there but not sure how much is reported or recorded correctly. Not a place I would live anyway. 

19 hours ago, 5000/1 said:

On the list of places to go too when visa finally gets granted. 

did notice a few dodgy characters sat at the waterfront drinking last time we was there which we hadn't noticed before ! 

Besides the sketchy people, the waterfront appears to 'artificial' to me to make any lasting impression. 

• 2 months later...
On 21/02/2023 at 16:21, Huntersmummy said:

Blue Flu has this obsession of bad-mouthing Mandurah and other parts of WA from my recollection. I work and live here in Mandurah and think it is awesome. I like Blue Flu are entitled to my opinion and I really disagree with Blue Flu's version. There are better and worse suburbs as you'd expect, some schools are better than others - I'm presuming Hunter is a son and maybe school age? But the beaches, restaurants, sport clubs and other amenities are as good as anywhere else. I live in the southern suburbs and prefer this area as it is probably a bit quieter than the northern suburbs. There's bit of a Scottish community and a Scottish pub...

I am happy to answer any ongoing questions, feel free to private message. I'll be at the airport 5th May funnily enough dropping the in laws before they fly back to the UK.

• Like 6

On 25/04/2023 at 13:13, benj1980 said:

Blue Flu has this obsession of bad-mouthing Mandurah and other parts of WA from my recollection. I work and live here in Mandurah and think it is awesome. I like Blue Flu are entitled to my opinion and I really disagree with Blue Flu's version. There are better and worse suburbs as you'd expect, some schools are better than others - I'm presuming Hunter is a son and maybe school age? But the beaches, restaurants, sport clubs and other amenities are as good as anywhere else. I live in the southern suburbs and prefer this area as it is probably a bit quieter than the northern suburbs. There's bit of a Scottish community and a Scottish pub...

I am happy to answer any ongoing questions, feel free to private message. I'll be at the airport 5th May funnily enough dropping the in laws before they fly back to the UK.

I agree with this. I have stopped asking questions in this forum cos they inevitably take over the post going on and on about the same old thing over and over again. Its like a weird obsession. One of my posts (asking advice about Port Macquarie) got shut down because they took it on such a tangent.. I even went on a different forum to get away from it and there was clearly the same poster spouting the same stuff on there aswell. I know not relevant to the post (sorry) but I do think it needs to be called out as they are ruining this forum for everyone else who are just after some advice.

On the topic however I have friends in Mandurah who absolutely love it and I am moving there myself in Sept. I have absolutely no concerns despite birdflus attempts..

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Ruth1 said:

I agree with this. I have stopped asking questions in this forum cos they inevitably take over the post going on and on about the same old thing over and over again. Its like a weird obsession. One of my posts (asking advice about Port Macquarie) got shut down because they took it on such a tangent.. I even went on a different forum to get away from it and there was clearly the same poster spouting the same stuff on there aswell. I know not relevant to the post (sorry) but I do think it needs to be called out as they are ruining this forum for everyone else who are just after some advice.

On the topic however I have friends in Mandurah who absolutely love it and I am moving there myself in Sept. I have absolutely no concerns despite birdflus attempts..

Keep posting, I can’t help with W A , but there are lots of good people on PIO, who do their best to help and give advice.to others.

Wish you all the best with your move to Mandurah xM

Edited by ramot
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I agree @ramot, I came on here looking for information and advice before I made the move. There were so many wonderful and useful contributors and they certainly outnumbered the ones you'd potentially ignore! In fact many are still here today. I continue on the forum in the belief some of my experiences could be useful to others and I have supported people get into work directly through contact on here. So please don't be put off, just take some contributions with a pinch of salt!

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Hi @Huntersmummy

I've bee somewhat obsessed with this forum since me and my husband had our delayed honeymoon to Oz in June. I noticed in previous posts that you wanted to return to the UK - do you mind me asking what made you stay in Oz all these years later? 

I'm sure living in Oz is nothing like a two week honeymoon, but boy did we have an incredible time!  X

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SophW said:

Hi @Huntersmummy

I've bee somewhat obsessed with this forum since me and my husband had our delayed honeymoon to Oz in June. I noticed in previous posts that you wanted to return to the UK - do you mind me asking what made you stay in Oz all these years later? 

I'm sure living in Oz is nothing like a two week honeymoon, but boy did we have an incredible time!  X

Hey!

Congrats firstly for your marriage! 😁

So to cut a long story short, during my previous light hearted posts…I’ve struggled a bit since moving here. Living in Darwin for years then Perth seemed tempting. Perth FOR ME, wasn’t greener. Plus having to stay here due to the husband not wanting to go back….good ole hauge convention law which prevents me from taking the kids back without a lengthy court battle. So yeah that’s why I’m still here, being a indecisive fart in the wind of making the best out of a situation. ✌🏻 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Huntersmummy said:

So to cut a long story short, during my previous light hearted posts…I’ve struggled a bit since moving here. Living in Darwin for years then Perth seemed tempting. Perth FOR ME, wasn’t greener. Plus having to stay here due to the husband not wanting to go back….good ole hauge convention law which prevents me from taking the kids back without a lengthy court battle. So yeah that’s why I’m still here, being a indecisive fart in the wind of making the best out of a situation. ✌🏻 

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that!   I knew you hated Darwin (no surprise for me there), but when I heard you were moving to Perth, I thought at least you were keen to stay in Australia.  To discover that you're stuck here because your husband is being a sh!t about going home is a great disappointment.

• Like 1

Well thanks to everyone who commented and we took advice and went round visiting some lovely places. It wasn’t all that bad. 
But can I reiterate, ANYTHING I put in here it solely my opinion based on my situation. I don’t go out to offend folks as a few are very patriotic about OZ and the private messages telling me I’m wrong, I should go home if I don’t like it blah blah blah…

IM TRYING!! 😂😂😂😂😂 

If it was that easy. I am one of the folk who hasn’t adjusted to being here and only trying to help folk in the same bubble as me that life isn’t always bubbly and unicorns and shiny after making such a big decision. 
That doesn’t mean to say I hate here. It’s just not home. Darwin or Perth. But I make the best out of a bad situation and try my low brow humour to help. 
But this will be my last post anyways. Good luck to all who move and sincerely, all the love in the world on your day to day sh!t. 😎

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Huntersmummy said:

Well thanks to everyone who commented and we took advice and went round visiting some lovely places. It wasn’t all that bad. 
But can I reiterate, ANYTHING I put in here it solely my opinion based on my situation. I don’t go out to offend folks as a few are very patriotic about OZ and the private messages telling me I’m wrong, I should go home if I don’t like it blah blah blah…

IM TRYING!! 😂😂😂😂😂 

If it was that easy. I am one of the folk who hasn’t adjusted to being here and only trying to help folk in the same bubble as me that life isn’t always bubbly and unicorns and shiny after making such a big decision. 
That doesn’t mean to say I hate here. It’s just not home. Darwin or Perth. But I make the best out of a bad situation and try my low brow humour to help. 
But this will be my last post anyways. Good luck to all who move and sincerely, all the love in the world on your day to day sh!t. 😎

Wish you all the best xM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huntersmummy said:

Hey!

Congrats firstly for your marriage! 😁

At least you got out of Darwin @Huntersmummy.  That was a big move to Perth so I'm sorry it hasn't been much better for you there.

You know where we are if you feel like having a good old moan.  Can't believe some folk PM'd you with a judgmental attitude.  😮

• Like 3