Site issues

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Mine just says unable to find server.  Happened a couple of times. I use an iPad.

I got that one  day last week, maybe Friday? On ipad, laptop and pc with different browsers.

All of Sunday and into Monday morning, I got the message SImmo posted above.

Just regular IT issues that need to be managed with all commercial websites. Expired certificates, server down etc etc.

I suspect the IT department if there is one fixes them when he gets around to it rather than immediately as would happen in a work setting.

No big deal really.

22 minutes ago, Parley said:

Just regular IT issues that need to be managed with all commercial websites. Expired certificates, server down etc etc.

I suspect the IT department if there is one fixes them when he gets around to it rather than immediately as would happen in a work setting.

No big deal really.

No big deal, but also no harm in alerting the site admins to it.  They would get a report from their host if the site is actually down, but it's likely no one will notify them if the certificate isn't valid, so it's good if users let them know. 

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

That's not necessarily the issue.  I've had this happen on sites due to a problem with the host

The issue over the weekend was as far as I could see. If it's a problem with the DNS settings you would be able to see in your browser.

On 02/08/2022 at 12:25, Marisawright said:

No big deal, but also no harm in alerting the site admins to it.  They would get a report from their host if the site is actually down, but it's likely no one will notify them if the certificate isn't valid, so it's good if users let them know. 

But we can't alert the site to it when we can't get in. When we can get back in is only after they've found and fixed the problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ken said:

But we can't alert the site to it when we can't get in. When we can get back in is only after they've found and fixed the problem.

They should really have monitoring software in place - something like Splunk.

But of course running a site professionally does cost money, so it needs to be worthwhile for the owners. It may not be worth it for a forum.

11 hours ago, Ken said:

Chances are if you cannot access ,neither can Alir or i ,so we do alert admin.

Cal x

• 1 year later...