Medicals and "the jab"

Hi. 

Does anyone know what affect your Covid vaccination status has on the medical examination for skilled visas?

The paperwork says to "bring any proof of vaccination with you if you have it".  

In the nicest possible way... I'm not trying to start a debate here. Just looking for factual answers if anyone knows? 

P.S This is just regarding the medical examination. NOT travel to Australia.

Thanks, Andy

3 hours ago, Andy G said:

Hi. 

Does anyone know what affect your Covid vaccination status has on the medical examination for skilled visas?

The paperwork says to "bring any proof of vaccination with you if you have it".  

In the nicest possible way... I'm not trying to start a debate here. Just looking for factual answers if anyone knows? 

P.S This is just regarding the medical examination. NOT travel to Australia.

Thanks, Andy

Haven't heard that it has any effect at all. There's no requirement to be vaccinated in order to get a visa. 

They always ask for vaccination proof especially for kids.  This was pre COVID policy.  They can’t refuse for for not having them though.  Schools and pre school (public) do ask for vaccinations for children and may refuse if they don’t have the MMR, chicken pox, polio type vaccines (ususal childhood ones) no refusals for COVID that I am aware of though.

In a similar vein to the OP, I don't want to start a discussion here (as it will descend it an unending argument) but if the OP really doesn't want the jab (as opposed to can't have it), the maybe AUS isn't the right country to migrate to.

I say this not as a "why won't you have it" way, just on a factual statement. AUS is much more jab-positive than the UK, almost all mid/large size companies have "must be jabbed" employment clauses in their contracts, and many small companies do. It is really hard to get by without COVID vaccine over here.

Of course when all said and done it is the OP's choice, but it's good to know what you are going to experience if you do try to get employment here without vaccination.

Whatever you decide, it shouldn't affect your ability to pass (or not) the immigration medical

9 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

In a similar vein to the OP, I don't want to start a discussion here (as it will descend it an unending argument) but if the OP really doesn't want the jab (as opposed to can't have it), the maybe AUS isn't the right country to migrate to.

I say this not as a "why won't you have it" way, just on a factual statement. AUS is much more jab-positive than the UK, almost all mid/large size companies have "must be jabbed" employment clauses in their contracts, and many small companies do. It is really hard to get by without COVID vaccine over here.

Of course when all said and done it is the OP's choice, but it's good to know what you are going to experience if you do try to get employment here without vaccination.

Whatever you decide, it shouldn't affect your ability to pass (or not) the immigration medical

It seems to be changing now though. The government is relaxing laws about vaccine mandates so i think in a year or so no one will care or ask.

• Like 1

The current health declaration you are asked to sign for the medical says, inter alia:

“I may be offered a COVID-19 vaccination or asked to submit proof of my COVID-19 vaccination, by the panel physician (or the IOM). I acknowledge that it is entirely voluntary to receive a COVID-19 vaccination, or to submit proof of my COVID-19 vaccination during the health examination. My decision on this will not impact on whether or not I meet the health requirement for the purposes of being granted a visa. However, I will be required to submit proof of vaccination status as an entry requirement when entering Australia;”

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, paulhand said:

The current health declaration you are asked to sign for the medical says, inter alia:

“I may be offered a COVID-19 vaccination or asked to submit proof of my COVID-19 vaccination, by the panel physician (or the IOM). I acknowledge that it is entirely voluntary to receive a COVID-19 vaccination, or to submit proof of my COVID-19 vaccination during the health examination. My decision on this will not impact on whether or not I meet the health requirement for the purposes of being granted a visa. However, I will be required to submit proof of vaccination status as an entry requirement when entering Australia;”

Perfect! Thanks 👍

Some good responses. Thanks very much. 

8 hours ago, Parley said:

It seems to be changing now though. The government is relaxing laws about vaccine mandates so i think in a year or so no one will care or ask.

It’s changing a lot from what I hear.  I see from Wednesday people will no longer have to declare their vaccination status when arriving there.   No passenger declaration forms required, everyone will be allowed in either way. 

When you do your medicals, if you havent had the Covid vaccination there is a bit to sign that basically says vaccination status had no impact on visa processing but that you will be required to have it to enter the country. Although it looks like that last bit might irrelevant after 6th July if that article is correct.

24 minutes ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

When you do your medicals, if you havent had the Covid vaccination there is a bit to sign that basically says vaccination status had no impact on visa processing but that you will be required to have it to enter the country. Although it looks like that last bit might irrelevant after 6th July if that article is correct.

Its correct, another covid rule bites the dust

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elaine N said:

Can I ask, what actually happens at the medicals? For kids and adults.  Is it a basic check up? 

I'll find out for adults next week but as far as I know it's a very basic medical check up. Whoever is in charge of our application has requested chest x rays and HIV tests (I guess that stuff depends on age, home country, etc). 

The paperwork for the appointment just says you'll be down to your underwear. They just want to know you aren't likely to have long term serious health issues which will put a strain on the countries health service I guess.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy G said:

I'll find out for adults next week but as far as I know it's a very basic medical check up. Whoever is in charge of our application has requested chest x rays and HIV tests (I guess that stuff depends on age, home country, etc). 

The paperwork for the appointment just says you'll be down to your underwear. They just want to know you aren't likely to have long term serious health issues which will put a strain on the countries health service I guess.

Chest x-ray and HIV test are standard for an adult medical for migration to Australia. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Elaine N said:

Can I ask, what actually happens at the medicals? For kids and adults.  Is it a basic check up? 

We had ours a few weeks ago (2 adults) - chest x-ray, blood test, urine sample, blood pressure, listen to your heart and lungs and a feel of your abdomen and neck...I think that was it. All pretty quick and painless 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1