New government

16 hours ago, Phil1712 said:

I wonder what the new government will bring to the table? Will the wait for our outstanding visa grants finally be over.  🤞

It is probably not the number 1 priority for a new government.

No doubt immigration will start flowing again at some point when covid is under control.

I suspect the new government will want to be careful though. They have inherited an unemployment rate at a historic low of 3.9% from the Liberals. If they ramp up immigration it is inevitable that new jobs will be lost to Australians and go to new immigrant workers. The consequence of unemployment going back up to over 5% will lead to a lot of criticism of the new Labor government and they won't want that. Or they may end up as one term wonders.

On 22/05/2022 at 01:45, Phil1712 said:

I wonder what the new government will bring to the table? Will the wait for our outstanding visa grants finally be over.  🤞

There are many job vacancies which Australians alone can't fill. In the name of growing the economy and population again, there are brighter days ahead for migrants. I believe we can all look forward to serving and rebuilding Australia. The backlog is really the only issue now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nomadiccarpenter said:

There are many job vacancies which Australians alone can't fill. In the name of growing the economy and population again, there are brighter days ahead for migrants. I believe we can all look forward to serving and rebuilding Australia. The backlog is really the only issue now.

That is very true. Unfortunately there’s a lot of people who feel like Parley that “immigrants will take our jobs” so the government will be mindful of upsetting voters 

58 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That is very true. Unfortunately there’s a lot of people who feel like Parley that “immigrants will take our jobs” so the government will be mindful of upsetting voters 

That unemployment is at record lows is surely not unrelated to the fact that we have just come out of a period when the borders were closed for the best part of two years.

The labour market has never been tighter; there has never been a better time to be an employee in Australia looking for work or, for many people, a massive pay rise.

Businesses are crying out for more workers because the supply of labour is too low, which has driven up wages.

I have no doubt that the government will open the floodgates to higher immigration as soon as it can, and the Libs would have done the same had they won the election. After all, a greater population means a greater pool of labour, which puts downward pressure on wages. A greater population also means more customers for businesses, which means more sales, which means more profits, which means more dividends for shareholders. What’s not to like?

Edited by DIG85
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DIG85 said:

That unemployment is at record lows is surely not unrelated to the fact that we have just come out of a period when the borders were closed for the best part of two years.

The labour market has never been tighter; there has never been a better time to be an employee in Australia looking for work or, for many people, a massive pay rise.

Businesses are crying out for more workers because the supply of labour is too low, which has driven up wages.

I have no doubt that the government will open the floodgates to higher immigration as soon as it can, and the Libs would have done the same had they won the election. After all, a greater population means a greater pool of labour, which puts downward pressure on wages. A greater population also means more customers for businesses, which means more sales, which means more profits, which means more dividends for shareholders. What’s not to like?

Why would the government want to open the floodgates? That should never happen.

Really migration should fill skilled roles that in theory cannot be filled by existing Australian supply of workers. I am dubious that Australia cannot fill most skilled roles anyway.

Opening the floodgates to cheap labour is not of benefit to Australia or the unemployment rate.

9 minutes ago, Parley said:

Why would the government want to open the floodgates? That should never happen.

Really migration should fill skilled roles that in theory cannot be filled by existing Australian supply of workers. I am dubious that Australia cannot fill most skilled roles anyway.

Opening the floodgates to cheap labour is not of benefit to Australia or the unemployment rate.

Look at the backlog in visa processing. 
look at how much quota has just been issued.

if they don’t ‘open the flood gates’ is there any point in issuing any more ITA? 

5 minutes ago, 31Hillbury said:

if they don’t ‘open the flood gates’ is there any point in issuing any more ITA? 

I suppose migration is not just about letting anyone who wants to come to Australia be able to come.

Australia has an existing talent pool and supply of workers so migration should be about what  does Australia need to bring in that cannot be supplied by the people already here?

PS. Not sure what ITA stands for.

Invitation to apply.

Having been waiting for a visa grant for over two years. I do hope they open the flood gates to those of us who were invited to apply before covid and allow us to continue our lives and dreams.

Surely we make up part of that talent pool. 

2 hours ago, 31Hillbury said:

Invitation to apply.

Having been waiting for a visa grant for over two years. I do hope they open the flood gates to those of us who were invited to apply before covid and allow us to continue our lives and dreams.

Surely we make up part of that talent pool. 

F'ing 'ell that's one long drawn out wait you've had, genuinely feel for you, hope it goes your way soon.

If it makes you feel better the last two years have been all fire/lockdown/flood so maybe by the time you get over here we will be back to normality of sunshine constantly...

3 hours ago, 31Hillbury said:

What we don't want is the flood gates opened. But sensible intake to clear up some of the back log fine. 

As long as I’m part of the visas granted soon I’ll be happy. Seeing people get granted who have been waiting a couple of months is nothing short of a kick in the teeth to us who have been waiting years a long time (852 days and counting) 

Let’s hope so, it’s about time we are able to move on with our lives.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 31Hillbury said:

Seeing people get granted who have been waiting a couple of months is nothing short of a kick in the teeth to us who have been waiting years a long time (852 days and counting) 

Are people getting granted after waiting a couple of months, really?  If so, that's a scandal.

However, if they are temporary visas, or priority occupations, or people with jobs to go to (186 visas for instance), then that's all part of the strategy, i.e. only bring in immigrants who they are 110% sure won't contribute to the unemployment figures. 

21 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Are people getting granted after waiting a couple of months, really?  If so, that's a scandal.

However, if they are temporary visas, or priority occupations, or people with jobs to go to (186 visas for instance), then that's all part of the strategy, i.e. only bring in immigrants who they are 110% sure won't contribute to the unemployment figures. 

I can't say with regards to waiting a few months. But nothing would surprise me. The immigration policy itself has been a scandal over the past decade . Ever wondered why so many driving Ubers, taxi's and working in jobs over qualified for. One doesn't have to look much further than the international student intake if really want to witness abuse, but hardly stops here. 

If they decide they don't want to let more migrants in I hope they improve the processing times for those already here. I applied for my 887 a year ago and there has been nothing at all and it looks like I will have another 12 months wait. 

It's not just myself it impacts. My Australian partner is impacted.

5 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

If they decide they don't want to let more migrants in I hope they improve the processing times for those already here. I applied for my 887 a year ago and there has been nothing at all and it looks like I will have another 12 months wait. 

It's not just myself it impacts. My Australian partner is impacted.

It won't be nor shouldn't be a matter of not letting more migrants in, just hopefully putting the breaks on turbo immigration. The reason being the country can not simply manage. Infrastructure from housing to Hospitals to roads simply won't cope.  

12 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

It won't be nor shouldn't be a matter of not letting more migrants in, just hopefully putting the breaks on turbo immigration. The reason being the country can not simply manage. Infrastructure from housing to Hospitals to roads simply won't cope.  

Going on a third year of little net migration, I don't think there's danger of that. Especially since the new allocations aren't even the highest they've been.

On 26/05/2022 at 22:16, Blue Flu said:

I always get a flutter of joy in my heart when I read statements like this from people who have benefited from migration themselves.

(Note the obvious irony/sarcasm)

Reminds me of the European migrants to UK who voted for Brexit because they thought too many Europeans where migrating to UK. They too didn't see the irony in their position

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I always get a flutter of joy in my heart when I read statements like this from people who have benefited from migration themselves.

Reminds me of the European migrants to UK who voted for Brexit because they thought too many Europeans where migrating to UK. They too didn't see the irony in their position

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Everything good in moderation is the key.

45 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

A shame that flutter of joy will be short lived then on hearing this person has not benefitted from migration themselves. But really bedsides the point. Few outside of vested interests benefit from turbo immigration, which diminishes the country in so many ways reducing living standards. But the numbers previously, before The Big Australia lobby took over the reins, was in Australia's interests and that includes those who had migrated here themselves.

Happy to help out with an explanation. . Not a touch oof irony involved either....

9 minutes ago, Parley said:

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Everything good in moderation is the key.

Flooding the country simply reduces living standards, ensures a depression of wage growth, adds costs to housing renting or purchasing, strains roads and essential services, all  to support certain vested interests make a lot of money.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2022 at 09:02, nomadiccarpenter said:

Going on a third year of little net migration, I don't think there's danger of that. Especially since the new allocations aren't even the highest they've been.

There are moves calling for a resumption of previous numbers. It was only due to border closures that migration was in negative territory for awhile. A return to traditional numbers is what is required. That serves the nation well. We've more than enough Uber drivers, Taxi drivers and drug producers as stands at the moment. (Yes a Meth eradication firm called out the house next to me, one question posed was what nationality/race were those partaking, he then named a few groups very high in the drug making business)