Bringing over house plants

DukeNinja

We gave away our house plants for this reason. Some were actually worth a fair bit as very large conservatory plants. If you don’t have anyone who can house them you could sell them?

I also found that dependent on where you go it might not like the new conditions, even if you could get it past bio security. 

There are strict certification/approval processes just to transport plants between Australian states (although in reality I’m unsure how they police this). I didn’t expect you would be able to bring them from overseas but google says it may be possible with the correct testing/certification etc. I haven’t read all the requirements and imagine in reality it’ll be very difficult but this site seems useful:

https://www.awe.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/import/goods/plant-products

Check the Section on “live plants”

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

There are strict certification/approval processes just to transport plants between Australian states (although in reality I’m unsure how they police this). I didn’t expect you would be able to bring them from overseas but google says it may be possible with the correct testing/certification etc. I haven’t read all the requirements and imagine in reality it’ll be very difficult but this site seems useful:

https://www.awe.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/import/goods/plant-products

Check the Section on “live plants”

It is definitely possible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2022 at 06:37, DukeNinja said:

Ok, this is an unusual question. Can you bring over house plants when you migrate to Oz?

We have a 15 year old Crassula Ovata (Jade plant) that we don't want to leave behind. Can this be done? If so, what is the process?

Thanks.

How funny.    When i emigrated in 2012, i took two small cuttings off a treasured Jade plant that had itself been a cutting off a much larger plant my grandmother had owned - it had sentimental value.  I wrapped the tiny  cuttings stems in my luggage amongst clothes and they survived the journey ( hardy things jades  as the cuttings can survive easily without water for days and days if needed 🙂 )  and have thrived, i've had them planted out in the garden, dug up and moved several times with me around Melbourne since.

But no, you're not meant to bring any plant material over. At all.   but there was no way they weren't coming with me.  i gave the main plant away to friends as the cuttings were enough to start fresh and still  keep the memory and link alive. 

Edited by jimmyay1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, jimmyay1 said:

How funny.    When i emigrated in 2012, i took two small cuttings off a treasured Jade plant that had itself been a cutting off a much larger plant my grandmother had owned - it had sentimental value.  I wrapped the tiny  cuttings stems in my luggage amongst clothes and they survived the journey ( hardy things jades  as the cuttings can survive easily without water for days and days if needed 🙂 )  and have thrived, i've had them planted out in the garden, dug up and moved several times with me around Melbourne since.

But no, you're not meant to bring any plant material over. At all.   but there was no way they weren't coming with me.  i gave the main plant away to friends as the cuttings were enough to start fresh and still  keep the memory and link alive. 

So you lied to the people at quarantine. Not very clever really, was it?

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

No, you can't bring any plant material into Australia as you describe, but the link upthread is helpful. As your plant is for sentimental reasons, it might not fly with Border Control.

However, crassula ovata is hard to STOP growing, at least in Melbourne. You can literally stick a cutting in the soli and away it'll go. It's an outdoor plant here.

I've filled a bin with off-cuts of pruning huge jade plants, and put several very large and very misshapen specimens on the nature strip for anyone to collect.

• Like 2