Sofia1234

Heya

I am looking for some advise/feedback in regards to relocating to Australia. We are a family of four with our kids being 7 and 4, my partners is an apprentice carpenter and i work in accounts. We are weighing up between moving to the Gold Coast or Brisbane. Looking for somewhere with good job opportunities but mostly great area for the kids in regards to schools and safety. Moving is a huge and scary decision so trying to do as much research as possible. 

Any recommendations would be extremely helpful 🙂

Hi Sofia

There are lots of places across Brisbane and the Gold Coast that are fantastic families. Are you aussie citizens or do you have a visa that allows you to move and work here? If not, looking into visa's would be your first step as some can take a year or two.

Cal x

34 minutes ago, Sofia1234 said:

Heya

I am looking for some advise/feedback in regards to relocating to Australia. We are a family of four with our kids being 7 and 4, my partners is an apprentice carpenter and i work in accounts. 

Unfortunately for you, migrating to Australia is very difficult.   You will need to get a skilled visa, and if your partner is still an apprentice, then you won't even be allowed to apply for a visa  until he is fully qualified and has at least a couple of years' solid work experience. 

Once he's got that experience, you can look into applying for a permanent visa.  The easiest approach, at that point, woudl be to book a consultation with a good migration agent like Go Matilda or Suncoast Migration.   It's too early to ask right now, because the migration rules are changing all the time, so an awful lot can happen in three or four years. 

Edited by Marisawright

As the others have said, it isnt a matter of relocating and choosing where you think you might want to live.  Before you even start to think of where you might want to live you have to come to grips with your chances of getting a visa and at this moment an apprentice and "working in accounts" isnt going to cut it.  Possibly if you are a fully qualified and experienced accountant you might get a look in but that's one occupation which is always touted as being on the list and about to be removed.  I think your chances of moving are still quite a long way off.

• Like 1

Also I have a Diploma in Accounting with a Certificate in Bookeeping, its not a degree but i have a lot of work experience working in my current job, my partner is also a qualified plasterer so we could fall back on that if getting a carpentry job proves to difficult 

• Like 1

@calNgary Thank you for your reply, we are New Zealand citizens so i believe a visa is easy to obtain (still doing more research on this) 
My biggest stress is making sure we are in a good area for the kids, we have a family member in Gold Coast and in Brisbane, it seems there are more jobs in Brisbane perhaps? 
Hard to pick a place when you cant go there and have a feel for the place first haha, moving kids can be un settling so would like to move somewhere and stay there for a decent amount of time or not at all so we dont have to move schools again. If you know any suburbs that you know that are great that would be great 🙂

Ah! You should be OK then with a temporary 444 visa.  Simple rule of thumb in that case - go where you can afford the rent and find a job! If you start of with an air bnb you've got a while to check out the neighbours. Usually if you can't see yourself living in an area you won't want to send your kids to the local school. Work out what is important to you with respect to rent, distance from work, facilities etc etc and go from there. Not sure if the borders are open to 444s yet though.

What Quoll said.  You can do all the research in the world, but it's not always helpful.   We've had many members here who chose a suburb, then when they arrived and did a drive around the area, decided it was totally unsuitable.  The only sensible option is to book an airbnb or a holiday unit or caravan for a month, to give you time to look around. 

Homely is the best resource for suburb reviews:

https://www.homely.com.au/find-region-by-state/queensland

For checking prices, look at realestate.com.au.   Bear in mind that estate agents here are shameless - they photoshop the photos, so the properties always look much nicer than they really are. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sofia1234 said:

Heya

I am looking for some advise/feedback in regards to relocating to Australia. We are a family of four with our kids being 7 and 4, my partners is an apprentice carpenter and i work in accounts. We are weighing up between moving to the Gold Coast or Brisbane. Looking for somewhere with good job opportunities but mostly great area for the kids in regards to schools and safety. Moving is a huge and scary decision so trying to do as much research as possible. 

Any recommendations would be extremely helpful 🙂

There would be more jobs in accountancy in Brisbane but carpenters, good ones, are in demand everywhere.

If you like the Ocean for the kids then I would be going for the Gold Coast, not the main bit but not too far away where it's less crowded.

Have you considered the Sunshine Coast too? Some lovely spots up there and heaps to choose from.

Google maps is a great research tool, streetview is brilliant.

• Like 1

Thank you everybody 🙂 

This is going to sound so silly but thought i would just ask, is there heaps snakes and big spiders everywhere or are some places more known for having more than other places. You hear so many stories about snakes and spiders it does make you a bit nervous when you come from a country were the scariest animal that will appear in your house is a cockroach haha. 

Thank you

Just now, Sofia1234 said:

Thank you everybody 🙂 

This is going to sound so silly but thought i would just ask, is there heaps snakes and big spiders everywhere or are some places more known for having more than other places. You hear so many stories about snakes and spiders it does make you a bit nervous when you come from a country were the scariest animal that will appear in your house is a cockroach haha. 

Thank you

I think i asked the same question back before we moved,lol.. I was pooping myself!!! Took me a few months from arrival to settle down and stop worrying they were on every corner waiting to pounce,lol. Of course they are about but not something you would/ will see on a daily basis and i live semi rural . A good inside and outside pest spray of the house really helps too.

Cal x

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2021 at 16:07, Jon the Hat said:

If some of the photos iv'e seen recently are photoshopped the houses should be burnt to the ground...

Increasing numbers are, well not to the ground, but imploded and/or fire, but for different reasons than may be expected. A house a few streets from ours had the fire brigade in attendance after a fire in the early hours of the morning. It's the second one I'm aware off over time. The business of late/all night 'cooking ' enthusiasts, most likely cause, but we don't seem to get an official reason. But besides that, a great number of houses are shoddy, way over priced shed like structures , for want of a better term, in many instances across many suburbs. 

On 06/08/2021 at 17:41, Sofia1234 said:

Thank you everybody 🙂 

Thank you

Some country locations or in the tropics this may be more the case. I've been in Australia for yonks and only ever seen a couple of snakes on a property with acreage in a large country town that lived in as a kid. Our dog did die of suspected snake bite as I recall.  Plenty of cockroach as well though, pretty much through out . But in most city locations not much in the animal world to fear. Most snakes seen is close to fresh water by lakes, on roads or bush walks . Generally they'll leave you alone. I think you get the Red Back spider in NZ? That's the only one I'm aware of being dangerous in my parts. I expect QLD will have others.