Karachi, Pakistan

Harare, Zimbabwe

Douala, Cameroon

Caracas, Venezuela

Port Moresby. Who would have thought? 

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wanderer Returns said:

8th is more realistic when you consider the price of property - and the weather.

Price of property, certainly.  However, weather is SO subjective, it depends how you cope with heat and cold.   I'd take Melbourne's weather over anywhere in Queensland any day.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Price of property, certainly.  However, weather is SO subjective, it depends how you cope with heat and cold.   I'd take Melbourne's weather over anywhere in Queensland any day.  

Any day?? How about any day this week... or next? I think you'll find yourself in a very small minority if you don't like Queensland winters!

image.thumb.png.5026fa663a0350b6a4dea2ca80847a02.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Any day?? How about any day this week... or next? I think you'll find yourself in a very small minority if you don't like Queensland winters!

image.thumb.png.5026fa663a0350b6a4dea2ca80847a02.png

You know perfectly well that’s not what I meant. If I had the luxury of homes in four or five different homes, I could pick the perfect home for each season. Most of us have to pick one place to live in all year round

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Parley said:

Yes a few years ago Melbourne was No 1, 3 years in a row, but have slipped back down to 8th.

That was Mercer Survey from memory. Purely based on the cost's concerning business expats relocating. Little to do with everyday living features that would likely impact ordinary people. For example cost of housing not included. Most would stay in company rent paid houses. And so on. 

15 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I agree, and once the borders reopen there'll be a stampede to move here!

The price of over inflated property will put many off. Where would people live considering already a dire shortage of rentals. I agree the interest from abroad will most likely be substantial, but the reality will likely check over exuberance. 

2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

That was Mercer Survey from memory. Purely based on the cost's concerning business expats relocating. Little to do with everyday living features that would likely impact ordinary people. For example cost of housing not included. Most would stay in company rent paid houses. And so on. 

I've never heard of the Mercer Survey. The survey @Parley is referring to which ranked Melbourne #1 from 2011 to 2017 is the same one I provided the link for. It's produced by the Economist Intelligence Unit (the research division of the Economist), and ranks the quality of live of 140 global cities based on their stability, healthcare, culture, environment, education and infrastructure. Personally, I've never understood why Melbourne was ranked so highly, but then I admit to being biased by the weather (and an ex-girlfriend's family I didn't like very much). Melbourne clearly has a lot going for it, and is a very liveable city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Liveability_Ranking#:~:text=The Global Liveability Ranking is,and environment%2C education and infrastructure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I've never heard of the Mercer Survey. The survey @Parley is referring to which ranked Melbourne #1 from 2011 to 2017 is the same one I provided the link for. It's produced by the Economist Intelligence Unit (the research division of the Economist), and ranks the quality of live of 140 global cities based on their stability, healthcare, culture, environment, education and infrastructure. Personally, I've never understood why Melbourne was ranked so highly, but then I admit to being biased by the weather (and an ex-girlfriend's family I didn't like very much). Melbourne clearly has a lot going for it, and is a very liveable city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Liveability_Ranking#:~:text=The Global Liveability Ranking is,and environment%2C education and infrastructure.

The Mercer Survey is a yearly American published survey  out every year. It indicates to companies, ratings of cities for expats and not so useful to those living in those cities. The last survey gave Vienna, Zurich, followed by Vancouver as the top three. Australian cities came in at Sydney 11th Melbourne 17th and Perth 21. 

• Like 2

On 15/06/2021 at 07:34, Wanderer Returns said:

Some of us actually relish 4 seasons and the contrasts they bring:  warm dry and warm/hot humid is just too boring.   😀

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Skani said:

Some of us actually relish 4 seasons and the contrasts they bring:  warm dry and warm/hot humid is just too boring.   😀

I certainly do and we get them in the Adelaide Hills. Having said that we usually fly North for warmth around Aug/Sept!

On 16/06/2021 at 14:37, Skani said:

I'd argue that nowhere in Australia really experiences 4 seasons like we're used to in Europe. It's either summer or not summer. The 'not summer' period just lasts longer in the southern states, and is quite depressing. You can keep it.

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I'd argue that nowhere in Australia really experiences 4 seasons like we're used to in Europe. It's either summer or not summer. The 'not summer' period just lasts longer in the southern states, and is quite depressing. You can keep it.

We are in autumn in Melbourne right now.  Had a lovely sunny walk this morning.  Spring in Melbourne is my oh's favourite time (he's had melanoma so he doesnt like high UV).  

12 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

More nonsense.  The ACT most certainly has 4 seasons as it did when I lived in South Oz many moons ago.  

• Like 2

I agree 4 seasons here in the Adelaide Hills. Winter now, OK no snow but we do get frosty mornings and ice forms in puddles, spring is lovely with lots of green, flowers and blossom. Summer is hot,dry and grass is browner and Autumn is a glorious pallet of colour.

lots of festivals and events to celebrate them too.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2021 at 07:57, Bulya said:

More nonsense.  The ACT most certainly has 4 seasons as it did when I lived in South Oz many moons ago.  

I spent a year living in in Canberra, starting in February and setting up several temporary residences in apartments in Manuka and Kingston. Canberra had just been devastated by a very hot and fiery summer with bushfires coming into Canberra.  Autumn was your typical Canberran cool climate with red autumn trees. Then winter set in. Coming from Sydney, the cold and the bleak and the chilly wind associated with Canberra were quite confronting. People told me that if you could survive a Canberra winter then you could  live there forever. There was snow on the nearby Brindabella Ranges and that was quite apparent from anywhere in Canberra. 

Then Spring and the indoor restaurants with fireplaces in Kingston become alfresco dining (outdoors) in the warm morning sun.

Does Canberra have distinct seasons? Absolutely, and that is part of its attraction to many.  The climate there reminded me of certain similar cities in California where if its not snowing its possibly on fire.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

I spent a year living in in Canberra, starting in February and setting up several temporary residences in apartments in Manuka and Kingston. Canberra had just been devastated by a very hot and fiery summer with bushfires coming into Canberra.  Autumn was your typical Canberran cool climate with red autumn trees. Then winter set in. Coming from Sydney, the cold and the bleak and the chilly wind associated with Canberra were quite confronting. People told me that if you could survive a Canberra winter then you could  live there forever. There was snow on the nearby Brindabella Ranges and that was quite apparent from anywhere in Canberra. 

Then Spring and the indoor restaurants with fireplaces in Kingston become alfresco dining (outdoors) in the warm morning sun.

Does Canberra have distinct seasons? Absolutely, and that is part of its attraction to many.  The climate there reminded me of certain similar cities in California where if its not snowing its possibly on fire.

Part of the reason why early last year north Canberra was the fastest growing area in the country.  I’d prefer if people stayed away, the infrastructure is struggling. 

9 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

You're implying there's really only two seasons then. I appreciate that Canberra has a more varied climate than other Australian cities, but the seasons are nowhere near as pronounced as in Europe. There's hardly any native deciduous trees here in Australia, so how can one identify when autumn starts? In the major southern cities you can visit botanical gardens and parks where you can experience the fall, and other areas where they've been cultivated, but once you're out in the bush the landscape pretty much all looks the same, regardless of the time of year.

• Confused 2