Moving back with teenagers

Cal2

We were thinking of returning in the next 21/2 years when eldest (now 18) has finished uni and youngest (now 16), school. Has anyone moved back with teenagers of this age? It may now be brought forward due to family circumstances and we're wondering about re-entering education in the UK, both in High School and Uni. Looking at moving back to Scotland - any advice? thanks

Plenty have but one thing to consider with the youngest is that in order to qualify as a domestic student for university they need to be resident for three years. Otherwise they will pay international fees and have limited access to other funding. If they are resident in Scotland for three years then there are no fees for university. 

• Like 4

As above, your second one won’t be entitled to go to uni as a  U.K. resident, they will have to pay international fees. If you go now and they delay uni by a year then not but you’ll then have the same problem with your 18 year old who I assume will go to uni in the U.K. if you return earlier then planned..  I’m sure you’ve thought of this but 2 1/2 years away is a long time in which things can happen that may put a stop to your plans. Both your children may well have partners/jobs by then and suddenly not want to move. It’s happened so many times and got in the way of parents plans. Just worth being mindful of that. 

• Like 1

As others have said, don't assume your 18-year-old will move back with you. University is when lifelong friendships are made and sometimes, partners are found.  A 21-year-old is likely to put the girlfriend/boyfriend and best mates ahead of Mum and Dad.  Also you'll need deep pockets if your 16-year-old wants to go to uni, as you'll be paying international fees.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information -

theres a lot of talking back and forth, but at the moment both girls want to go, although I know that can change.

Im wondering how moving my daughter from year 10 here, into a school in the UK, has anyone any experiences of that

thanks

Good luck I hope it all works out for you. We had planned to move back in the middle of last year when our oldest was 18. We wanted to get him through high school first. Oldest was very keen to move back, he told us he hated Australia and was desperate to leave. Due to Covid we discussed putting it back to the end of the year. Then out of the blue he moved out with a girlfriend we didn't know anything about. We have had to put plans on hold and now we don't know what to do for the best. As others have said in 2 1/2 years a lot can happen with teenagers and they may not want to move with you even if they say they do now. If they are keen I'd go now if you can afford to. 

For your daughter in year 10 I would look at the school system in Scotland and see what year she would be there and what the qualification system is. If she will have missed a whole year it may be hard to catch up.  Having said that due to the recent lockdowns may students will be behind. Maybe also contact some schools for advice.

Edited by Lovetoteach
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Cal2 said:

theres a lot of talking back and forth, but at the moment both girls want to go, although I know that can change.

Im wondering how moving my daughter from year 10 here, into a school in the UK, has anyone any experiences of that

thanks

Moving in time to commence years 11 and 12 is one of the better times as that would allow them to do their highers which are done in those years. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cal2 said:

thanks

It can change in the blink of an eye.  It’s quite possible at least one may feel different by the time you go.  Falling in love can change everything.  Or, they will happily go with you and decide they don’t like it and make plans to return back to Australia.  Either way, you have to do what’s best for you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Moving in time to commence years 11 and 12 is one of the better times as that would allow them to do their highers which are done in those years. 

I was going to say the same. Time to do Highers and also two years towards the 3 needed to get into university as a local. Fill that in with a year of work experience and they’re all set

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My kiddos were quite a bit younger than yours when we moved back, so I can’t answer your schooling questions. However, we did move to Scotland, despite never having lived here before, and it is by far and away the best place that we have ever lived. If you have family/links here, I’d imagine it’d be even better!

my husband and I separated shortly after we got here, but I don’t regret moving here, for a second!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 19/04/2021 at 13:26, Cal2 said:

We were thinking of returning in the next 21/2 years when eldest (now 18) has finished uni and youngest (now 16), school. Has anyone moved back with teenagers of this age? It may now be brought forward due to family circumstances and we're wondering about re-entering education in the UK, both in High School and Uni. Looking at moving back to Scotland - any advice? thanks

Sounds almost the same as me, my kids are 8, 13, 15, I am in the process of getting the ball moving also, moving back to Perth after 19 years here. To homesick, missing family to much, missing friends to much, and have been for years. The covid debacle in Melbourne and Victoria has only served as a catalyst for me now, I have had enough and hope to be back in Scotland early 2022. 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 06:01, VERYSTORMY said:

Plenty have but one thing to consider with the youngest is that in order to qualify as a domestic student for university they need to be resident for three years. Otherwise they will pay international fees and have limited access to other funding. If they are resident in Scotland for three years then there are no fees for university. 

I'd just add that Education is managed and financed differently within in the UK. If you live in Scotland it is necessary to attend a University in Scotland to qualify for free tuition - attend Uni in any other part of the UK and fees are payable irrespective of having a Scottish home address. T x