Five days of Quarantine

North to South

Hello,

Just beginning Day 5 in quarantine in Adelaide and so far so good.  I'm not going to say it's simple, but when you look outside the hotel window and see people wandering around in the sun and life going on as normal you know that these 14 days will be worth it, especially if like me you've left the UK behind where Covid for the past few months has been running out of control.

After a long flight the process of leaving the plane to arriving at the hotel and into the room was seamless and while you know you're going into quarantine, you can only applaud the efficiency of the authorities and the way you are made to feel so welcome when you're stepping into something most people have never experienced before.

The hotel is great, food is good, healthy and plenty some and the only thing I'm struggling with is adapting to the time difference which I'm normally over in 24-36 hours, but I think this might be through not being outside and doing normal things.

I don't actually feel like I'm in Adelaide yet, I think that's down to not being outside and when you wake in the morning, really you could be anywhere until you look out of the window.

My time has been filled with sorting out some of the things I'll need after I leave quarantine, so car hire, tax ref numbers, school for my daughter and then some of the more things most people will do, Netflix, online or just chatting with people at home. 

I know that there's still more days to go, but I thought it would be harder than it is, so if anyone is on there way to do it, just embrace it for what it is, use the time to do things you've been putting off and then just relax because how often can you spend 14 days in pj's or go to bed whenever you feel like a nap in the day and not feel guilty about it.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, North to South said:

Hello,

Just beginning Day 5 in quarantine in Adelaide and so far so good.  I'm not going to say it's simple, but when you look outside the hotel window and see people wandering around in the sun and life going on as normal you know that these 14 days will be worth it, especially if like me you've left the UK behind where Covid for the past few months has been running out of control.

After a long flight the process of leaving the plane to arriving at the hotel and into the room was seamless and while you know you're going into quarantine, you can only applaud the efficiency of the authorities and the way you are made to feel so welcome when you're stepping into something most people have never experienced before.

The hotel is great, food is good, healthy and plenty some and the only thing I'm struggling with is adapting to the time difference which I'm normally over in 24-36 hours, but I think this might be through not being outside and doing normal things.

I don't actually feel like I'm in Adelaide yet, I think that's down to not being outside and when you wake in the morning, really you could be anywhere until you look out of the window.

My time has been filled with sorting out some of the things I'll need after I leave quarantine, so car hire, tax ref numbers, school for my daughter and then some of the more things most people will do, Netflix, online or just chatting with people at home. 

I know that there's still more days to go, but I thought it would be harder than it is, so if anyone is on there way to do it, just embrace it for what it is, use the time to do things you've been putting off and then just relax because how often can you spend 14 days in pj's or go to bed whenever you feel like a nap in the day and not feel guilty about it.

It sounds like you are settling in better than the world's top tennis players are in Melbourne! I did do two week's quarantine in my own home last March when I overreacted to a probably allergy (not even a cold). I did have the advantage of both balcony and a small courtyard in my flat in Sydney.

I was going to suggest listening to Adelaide radio (if you are not already doing it) as a way of helping get into the swing of Australia but I just put on ABC Adelaide - https://www.abc.net.au/radio/adelaide/live/ and turned it back off again (too leftie for me!) But you might like it.

This might be better: (Sorry, it's the sports show at the moment but usually it's talk back radio like I guess Five Live? (I've not been back to UK in 12 years). As an imperative, you need to pick one of the two Adelaide Aussie rules teams - Adelaide or Port Adelaide!

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/

Just by chance I still had the page up for the rivalry between the two Adelaide clubs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showdown_(AFL)

If they let you get the papers read the Advertiser each day. You could subscribe on line but I think you may have to pay for it.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/

Welcome to Australia!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, North to South said:

Hello,

Thats the spirit, it's really not that bad, and in 10days time you are free to start your new life.

We spent the 1st week getting over jet lag

• Like 1

Hope it continues to go smoothly for you.

Can I ask what options you have for accommodation?   Are you put where you are put and that's that?  My wife is desperately missing her Australian family and contemplating going through the quarantine to go visit and take the kids too.  To me the idea of the 3 of them cooped up in a small room sounds horrible.  I'd be willing to pay for a serviced apartment type room or two adjoining rooms etc.

Any info you can share would be appreciated.

Good luck for the rest of your time in lock up 😀

17 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Can I ask what options you have for accommodation?   Are you put where you are put and that's that?  My wife is desperately missing her Australian family and contemplating going through the quarantine to go visit and take the kids too.  To me the idea of the 3 of them cooped up in a small room sounds horrible.  I'd be willing to pay for a serviced apartment type room or two adjoining rooms etc.

You are allocated a hotel and that is it, we where lucky that we got adjoining  rooms so the kids had one and we had one.

We know a couple who came just before xmas with 2 kids and they only got given one room. After having a word with the management they got given a 2nd room.

2 hours ago, Lavers said:

You are allocated a hotel and that is it, we where lucky that we got adjoining  rooms so the kids had one and we had one.

We know a couple who came just before xmas with 2 kids and they only got given one room. After having a word with the management they got given a 2nd room.

I'm sure they are doing their best to make everyone as comfortable as they can within the space they have.  Worth asking for sure, we will be!  Madness lies in one room and my kids for 14 days...

• Like 2

It's now Day 7 and not sure whether this is hump day or not, but it's beginning to feel like we're now looking towards the end of quarantine and not the start of it.  It's certainly being made easier with the weather and being able to sit on the balcony and look at people below and know that all being well in just over a weeks time we'll be able to join them and know that our new life can begin.

I can't fault the process and our health and wellbeing seems to be very important.  We get a phone call each day from the nursing team to check on us to see how we're doing both physically and mentally and to ask if we need anything. 

The food is very good and every meal has a healthy option, be that greens or fresh fruit with it.  I've learnt now though not to eat everything because without solid exercise I think the pounds could easily go on, or at least they will if I keep nibbling at the McDonalds I order for my daughter.

I know it's a very abnormal process to go through, but if you embrace it for what it is, it's not that bad.  And if you've come from London, it's the best thing you can be doing knowing that you're in the safest place possible when London and the UK is really sadly suffering each day.  

I'm by no means an expert, but happy to answer any questions people might have who are soon to enter quarantine.

• Like 4

On 19/01/2021 at 20:45, FirstWorldProblems said:

If you wish to dissuade her some more - it's not that well publicised but if you test positive in quarantine in Qld you'll become our guests in hospital for fourteen days rather than staying in your hotel...

• Like 1

Just two full days left to go in quarantine and its certainly nicer looking forward to the end than being closer to the beginning.  I know some people have complained about the quarantine, but I've had no complaints and whilst I wouldn't volunteer to do two weeks in a hotel room, this has been a good quarantine period. 

I've not managed to do some of the things I wanted too, but in the past few days have organised some houses to inspect at the weekend which will see the start of doing normal things when settling in.  I have a couple of test drives organised and will hopefully buy a car next week to avoid to long in a hire car, although I'm not sure how I can get a SA Client ID for registration yet as I'm not sure if they will take a temporary Airbnb address as proof of address.  Any advice from SA new arrivals would be most appreciated.

I am relieved that I have a VPN so that I've been able to watch some TV series from the UK.  I watched series 1 and 2 of The Bay in two days and that was a worthwhile watch and also caught a bit of football in the early hours when I couldn't sleep.  

I'm sure these last two days will drag a bit more, but the end is in sight and just looking forward to stepping from the hotel into Adelaide and begin to feel like I'm in Australia rather than being in Australia and not really being there if that makes sense.

If anyone is about to enter quarantine, just be prepared for the first few days to be a bit odd, then just embrace the time and do those things you feel guilty about doing at home.  There's nothing wrong with binge watching box sets, sleeping in the day, ordering treats in from outside, spending excess time in your PJs or not making the bed every morning.  Just make the most of the time as those seconds do become minutes, then hours, then days, then weeks and then exit from quarantine!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, North to South said:

I have a couple of test drives organised and will hopefully buy a car next week to avoid to long in a hire car, although I'm not sure how I can get a SA Client ID for registration yet as I'm not sure if they will take a temporary Airbnb address as proof of address.

I hope you've researched "novated leases" before you commit to buying a car.   If you're in a profession that allows salary sacrifice, it's going to work out MUCH cheaper to lease a car through your employer than to buy it outright, even taking the hire car costs into account.   With a car on a novated lease, you don't have to use the car for work, it's just like a normal family car.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I hope you've researched "novated leases" before you commit to buying a car.   If you're in a profession that allows salary sacrifice, it's going to work out MUCH cheaper to lease a car through your employer than to buy it outright, even taking the hire car costs into account.   With a car on a novated lease, you don't have to use the car for work, it's just like a normal family car.

Hi, I need to look at this as my wife was asked whether she wanted to lease a car through her employer, but we've always purchased them outright in the UK and taken the cash allowance for the company car as it was more tax efficient.   We need two cars so I'm assuming you can only lease one car per person ?  There's so much to learn 🙂

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It doesn't any more - a couple of years ago the FBT rules were changed which means novated leases now come partially funded from after-tax contributions; I pay more post tax than pre-tax on it.  Plus you're pretty much locked into the servo brand and the insurance that the lease people dictate - it currently costs me considerably less to insure an Evoque than it did a leased Tucson because I can bundle my insurance. 

The advantage is basically you have a kitty automatically put aside and really don't have to worry about it too much - providing you don't go over the items they list which are commonly 4 new tyres in the lease and X many km per year in fuel etc.  If you do, you have to make up the difference; if you don't you get it back (fully taxed) at the end of the lease.

I've had four novated leases but won't have another one, there's no longer the advantages that there were.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, North to South said:

Hi, I need to look at this as my wife was asked whether she wanted to lease a car through her employer, but we've always purchased them outright in the UK and taken the cash allowance for the company car as it was more tax efficient.   We need two cars so I'm assuming you can only lease one car per person ?  There's so much to learn 🙂

You can lease multiple cars - I had two on the go prior to one lease expiring.  The lease companies will bombard you with numbers showing how it's a huge advantage to you, but take the numbers with a huge grain of salt as they are assuming that you are comparing like for like - the same insurance, the same fuel costs etc.  It doesn't work like that in reality and there aren't the large financial advantages there were a few years ago before the FBT rules were changed.

Edited by Eera

21 minutes ago, North to South said:

I was told by a dealer that I needed an SA drivers licence of an SA client ID if I didn't have the SA licence yet.  All very confusing.

If its just the licence you need then your airbnb will be fine.

We were in our airbnb for 6weeks so used that address for everything.

When you move you must notify the licence agency and they will send you a sticker to place over your old address.

You must pay for your licence also, we only did a 12month one which was $60. You can do a 10yr one i think which works out cheaper.

The offices you go to are next to the marion shopping centre.

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lavers said:

If its just the licence you need then your airbnb will be fine.

We were in our airbnb for 6weeks so used that address for everything.

When you move you must notify the licence agency and they will send you a sticker to place over your old address.

You must pay for your licence also, we only did a 12month one which was $60. You can do a 10yr one i think which works out cheaper.

The offices you go to are next to the marion shopping centre.

Hi, thanks for this.  That's handy as we have to go tp open our bank account at Marion shopping centre.  We have two airbnb's as I didn't want to book for more than a month before leaving as there is no refund on bookings over 31 days and knowing how things were in the UK didn't want to risk it and now we're here, frustratingly the owners didn't let me know they had another booking enquiry following on from us after telling us we'd have the option to extend so now have to move.

How long did the licence take to come through ?  Did you do medicare immediately ?  My wife has done her Tax Ref Number as she starts work on 1st March so hopefully that shouldn't take too long.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, North to South said:

Hi, thanks for this.  That's handy as we have to go tp open our bank account at Marion shopping centre.  We have two airbnb's as I didn't want to book for more than a month before leaving as there is no refund on bookings over 31 days and knowing how things were in the UK didn't want to risk it and now we're here, frustratingly the owners didn't let me know they had another booking enquiry following on from us after telling us we'd have the option to extend so now have to move.

How long did the licence take to come through ?  Did you do medicare immediately ?  My wife has done her Tax Ref Number as she starts work on 1st March so hopefully that shouldn't take too long.

Your licence is issued whilst you are there.

Medicare we did online as I did it when we were in our 2nd lot of qaurantine in our airbnb. I think it took about 3 weeks for the cards to arrive, but you are covered immediately. You can go into the offices which are dotted about though, but I'm not sure if they are issued whilst you are there, or you still have to wait.

Also your daughter may need some vaccinations before she can start school. My girls needed hep b (I think) they don't give it in the UK but they do here. Also if your daughter has never had chicken pox, she will need an injection for that here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lavers said:

Your licence is issued whilst you are there.

Medicare we did online as I did it when we were in our 2nd lot of qaurantine in our airbnb. I think it took about 3 weeks for the cards to arrive, but you are covered immediately. You can go into the offices which are dotted about though, but I'm not sure if they are issued whilst you are there, or you still have to wait.

Also your daughter may need some vaccinations before she can start school. My girls needed hep b (I think) they don't give it in the UK but they do here. Also if your daughter has never had chicken pox, she will need an injection for that here.

Hi, thanks for this.  I thought I’d have to wait for a license the same as the UK.

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

This really makes sense if you work in a company that needs you to drive around, or your family is part of the company directorship. The reason being, most employers won't take a hit with FBT (Fringe Benefits Tax) for you to have a vehicle that you may sometimes use for business, but mostly for personal reasons.

If you have some savings, buy a car around LTV 50%, never buy a new car unless it's for cash (even then the moment it goes out the door it drops 5% in value). Otherwise you'll have an upside down asset, which means you may owe more than the asset is worth. I was silly enough to buy a car for a 5 year loan and paid $7000 extra in costs on a $23000 purchase.

We are going to get our car detailed, sell it and downgrade to save for a homeloan. House + Land is a better investment in the long run.

My suggestions is, for a personal car, aim for a second hand Toyota or Hyundai (Never Models), even some new second hand Mazda's are ok.

Also, when purchasing a car, always check this site : https://www.productreview.com.au/

Good luck!