Where would you live in Tasmania?

Wanderer Returns

On 29/11/2020 at 13:21, Wanderer Returns said:

We're on the Sunshine Coast at the moment, and I love it here (and love Queensland in general), but my wife thinks it's too hot -

Moving all the way down to Tassie seems like a bit of a drastic move, as it's going to the other extreme.   Is it the humidity or the heat that really gets to her?   I'm fine with heat but I can't cope with humidity, so I can't handle Queensland either - but  I would be fine in Adelaide, for instance, because it's a drier heat. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Moving all the way down to Tassie seems like a bit of a drastic move, as it's going to the other extreme.   Is it the humidity or the heat that really gets to her?   I'm fine with heat but I can't cope with humidity, so I can't handle Queensland either - but  I would be fine in Adelaide, for instance, because it's a drier heat. 

Same, just can’t stand humidity 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I agree, although Tassie looks beautiful and I like mountains, but I'm thinking that maybe Coffs Harbour will be far enough south to take the edge of it!

My wife doesn't really like either (heat or humidity), to be honest. She doesn't like going out in the sun because she goes brown in about 15 minutes, and Asian women are obsessed with having white skin, for some bizarre reason! They seem to think white skin is more attractive, whereas we Brits have always aspired to a healthy tan (although not so much now we know the dangers). She was used to living and working in air-con for decades, and then we lived in Cairns so we were fully air-conned there too. Our apartment here only has air-con in the living area, so night times are somewhat sticky at the moment.

People make a big deal about the humidity up here, and you feel it if you doing anything physical, but then in the winter months you don't get that unpleasant dryness that you get in the southern states. It's horses for courses really.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

People make a big deal about the humidity up here, and you feel it if you doing anything physical, but then in the winter months you don't get that unpleasant dryness that you get in the southern states. It's horses for courses really.

People who make a big deal about humidity are the people who can't cope with it.  You sound like it doesn't bother you as much, and I'm glad for you, but please don't diss people who aren't like you.

When I'm in a humid area, I puff up like a balloon. My fingers turn into sausages.  I feel physically ill.   And that's just sitting still, I couldn't contemplate exercise.  My face sweats - which is embarrassing.  I well remember attending a business meeting at a café in Sydney on a 30 degree, humid day, and being mortified as the sweat dripped off my nose.  After a humid day, I can't cool down, even if I go into air-conditioning - the only solution is a swim or a cold bath (a shower doesn't bring my core temperature down so it's no solution).  

I think my reaction is worse than most, but I'm not unique by any means and there are plenty of people who find humidity unpleasant.  Whereas I'm wondering what on earth you mean by "unpleasant dryness" as I can't say I've ever experienced such a thing.   I remember being in Adelaide on a 40 degree day and it was great.  In what way does it feel unpleasant for you?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I'm thinking that maybe Coffs Harbour will be far enough south to take the edge of it!

I'm not sure about that having spent several stints there with relatives.  It's gorgeous in winter but I found November to April very uncomfortable.  I think it also has a higher rainfall than the Sunshine Coast - caused by the mountains to the west of C.H. IIRC

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Skani said:

I'm not sure about that having spent several stints there with relatives.  It's gorgeous in winter but I found November to April very uncomfortable.  I think it also has a higher rainfall than the Sunshine Coast - caused by the mountains to the west of C.H. IIRC

We used to visit friends in Coffs Harbour and Lismore.  It certainly does know how to rain in those places plus the humidity.  Ugh.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

People who make a big deal about humidity are the people who can't cope with it.  You sound like it doesn't bother you as much, and I'm glad for you, but please don't diss people who aren't like you.

When I'm in a humid area, I puff up like a balloon. My fingers turn into sausages.  I feel physically ill.   And that's just sitting still, I couldn't contemplate exercise.  My face sweats - which is embarrassing.  I well remember attending a business meeting at a café in Sydney on a 30 degree, humid day, and being mortified as the sweat dripped off my nose.  After a humid day, I can't cool down, even if I go into air-conditioning - the only solution is a swim or a cold bath (a shower doesn't bring my core temperature down so it's no solution).  

I think my reaction is worse than most, but I'm not unique by any means and there are plenty of people who find humidity unpleasant.  Whereas I'm wondering what on earth you mean by "unpleasant dryness" as I can't say I've ever experienced such a thing.   I remember being in Adelaide on a 40 degree day and it was great.  In what way does it feel unpleasant for you?

After the much drier heat in Perth I found the humidity in Sydney during summer just horrible.  I suppose i did get used to it after over 20 years living there but never liked it.  Getting out of a cool shower before going to work only to be a sweaty mess drying off and getting dressed.  I used to sit close to the air-con just to cool down before setting off to work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I don't recall 'dissing' anyone. I stated that people make a big deal about the humidity when in fact during the winter, the weather in QLD is more pleasant than in the southern states. We were down in South Australia for a week in October. When I woke up in the morning my eyes and skin were dry and my throat felt parched, until I'd drunk a litre of water. Basically I had to moisturize every morning or I'd look like a saddle bag with eyes! Maybe I'm overly-sensitive to the dryness as you are to the humidity.

Edited by Wanderer Returns
  • Like 2

Tasmania has done it again. Arras Wines in the Bay of Fires has just won the gold medal for the worlds best Top Sparkling wine formerly known as "Champagne":

From a news source ( 7News) :

An Australian sparkling wine has been named the world’s best, even beating French competitors from Champagne in the global ranking.

Tasmanian winery House of Arras was awarded the ‘Top Sparkling’ title by the influential Decanter Magazine, for its ‘E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004’.

Chief winemaker Ed Carr told 7NEWS.com.au he’s “still blown away” by the title.

“For us, from very humble beginnings of looking at Tasmanian wine-making, to be able to achieve this is absolutely stunning,” he said.

“It was quite unexpected to go to this level, and our confidence has just gotten stronger.”

The E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004 took out the top spot in the Decanter Magazine's global ranking. The E.J. Carr Late Disgorged 2004 took out the top spot in the Decanter Magazine's global 

Carr thanked his entire team “from horticulture through packaging” for helping deliver the “mind-blowing” achievement.

The acclaimed wine is made with a mix of 69 per cent Chardonnay and 31 per cent Pinot Noir.

• Like 2

On 29/11/2020 at 11:15, Toots said:

We spent 10 days on the west coast and south west coast including the Huon Valley.  Just beautiful.  Loved Bruny Island.  Friends moved from NSW to the little town of Dover in September and are loving it there.  I hiked with other friends in the area of Tullah and Lake Rosebury for a couple of days.  Gorgeous!  Shopping malls, crowds etc do absolutely nothing for me so I was a very happy person.  Next trip will be to the south east of Tasmania. 

I've been noticing lots of car number plates from NSW, WA, ACT and NT around and about again.  👍

So many people from the mainland moving over at the moment. I’m not complaining just something I’ve noticed. The penny has dropped! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bound4Tassie said:

So many people from the mainland moving over at the moment. I’m not complaining just something I’ve noticed. The penny has dropped! 

I was recently talking to a mate from the north west coast who'd just been visiting friends at Mole Creek, back of Deloraine.   There are 10 properties on said friends' road:  7 of them are now owned by "climate refugees" from Queensland.    I do feel sorry for young Tasmanians - at least here in Hobart - trying to buy their first home.  With the lowest average incomes in Australia they are struggling to compete with so many cashed up mainland buyers.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Skani said:

That's a double for Tassie.  Only last week a chardonnay from the Tolpuddle Vineyard near Hobart was named by the International Wine Challenge as the 2020 world Champion White Wine. 

https://drinksdigest.com/2020/12/01/tolpuddle-chardonnay-named-worlds-best-white-wine/

A few years back the Tasmanian Pinot.Noir ( Red) was all the rage up here in Sydney as it was an excellent dinner wine and not too expensive. Its still quite popular. Devil's Corner (Bicheno) and Ninth Island ( Launceston) labels come to mind.  

5 hours ago, Skani said:

I was recently talking to a mate from the north west coast who'd just been visiting friends at Mole Creek, back of Deloraine.   There are 10 properties on said friends' road:  7 of them are now owned by "climate refugees" from Queensland.    I do feel sorry for young Tasmanians - at least here in Hobart - trying to buy their first home.  With the lowest average incomes in Australia they are struggling to compete with so many cashed up mainland buyers.

I also feel sorry for the young Tasmanians and young people everywhere in Australia who are priced out of the market. 

At least they are not paying 17% mortgage interest rates. 

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Skani said:

There is a huge need for affordable housing and an even greater need for a lot more state housing.  Yes there are a lot of people coming from the mainland.  I also know a few new migrants from the UK and elsewhere who have settled here.  Devonport has some new housing estates where the young locals seem to prefer to buy - houses are fairly reasonably priced.  Rentals are expensive for what you get.  I don't know how some landlords/estate agents have the cheek to charge the prices they do. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skani said:

Yes I totally see that happening. All the mainlanders quote the climate as their reason for moving.