Queensland to reopen borders on July 10, but not to Victoria

Wanderer Returns

1 minute ago, calNgary said:

Good. 

Although i would imagine if your are a QLD'er and have a home here you would not have to go into a hotel and could quarantine at home with checks carried out.

Cal x

Apparently not, its to be hotels, regardless of whether you have a home in Queensland or not. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Not the case in NSW or Victoria because they found people were cheating 

From Qld Govt this afternoon - 

Any person (whether a Queensland resident or non-Queensland resident) who has been in any local government area within the State of Victoria within the last 14 days should not come to Queensland. If they do, they must undergo mandatory quarantine in a hotel at their own expense for a minimum of 14 days. A person who refuses testing in quarantine will be subject to a further 10-day period at cost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nemesis said:

From Qld Govt this afternoon - 

Any person (whether a Queensland resident or non-Queensland resident) who has been in any local government area within the State of Victoria within the last 14 days should not come to Queensland. If they do, they must undergo mandatory quarantine in a hotel at their own expense for a minimum of 14 days. A person who refuses testing in quarantine will be subject to a further 10-day period at cost.

Yes, that’s what I said. AFAIK all quarantine in NSW and Victoria has been in hotels for some time, because they found people couldn’t be trusted to stay at home. So I can’t blame Queensland for following that precedent for people from Victoria 

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen

Do you know if people were/are permitted to hand things over at border control. For example if NSW and Vic close their borders could you meet someone at the border and hand it over to staff/personally? 

ETA I’ve googled but can’t find an answer. 

I don't understand why NSW hasn't also closed their border with VIC too? The spread to NSW is now inevitable as there are sure to be some who will ignore government warnings and travel from infected areas in Melbourne, if they choose. QLD will also be vulnerable as there is nothing to stop people flying from VIC to NSW, hiring a car, and then driving into QLD after the 10 July.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I don't understand why NSW hasn't also closed their border with VIC too? The spread to NSW is now inevitable as there are sure to be some who will ignore government warnings and travel from infected areas in Melbourne, if they choose. QLD will also be vulnerable as there is nothing to stop people flying from VIC to NSW, hiring a car, and then driving into QLD after the 10 July.

I agree, our daughter wants us to visit her in Sydney, haven’t seen her since her wedding in December, but we realised all the states have school holidays then and we don’t trust Victorians to stay home. Makes me mad that one rogue state is so selfish can’t accept the effect on the rest of us and do the decent thing and close it’s borders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramot said:

I agree, our daughter wants us to visit her in Sydney, haven’t seen her since her wedding in December, but we realised all the states have school holidays then and we don’t trust Victorians to stay home. Makes me mad that one rogue state is so selfish can’t accept the effect on the rest of us and do the decent thing and close it’s borders.

I didn't know until recently that Victoria hadn't closed its borders.  Probably because everyone else had!   

1 minute ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Just a guess, but maybe NSW and VIC haven't closed their borders because of the effect it would have on commerce between Sydney and Melbourne.

I wondered if it was just a practical thing.  So many possible crossings between the two states, it would've been hard to police.  Besides, the incidence of covid in both states was about the same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Agreed, I think it may be shortsighted of NSW to keep the border open but time will tell. I feel for Victoria, but if NSW closed the border to Victoria, all other states could potentially reopen to each other without restriction within a month. I don't know how the numbers stack up, but surely that would benefit the Australian economy? Harsh on Victoria but perhaps necessary.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Agreed, I think it may be shortsighted of NSW to keep the border open but time will tell. I feel for Victoria, but if NSW closed the border to Victoria, all other states could potentially reopen to each other without restriction within a month. I don't know how the numbers stack up, but surely that would benefit the Australian economy? Harsh on Victoria but perhaps necessary.

I'm in Victoria but actually, I agree with you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

What's happened in VIC could've happened in any other state - it's just unfortunate. Although economically wouldn't it just make more sense to lockdown the whole of Melbourne as that's where all the cases are, rather than isolate the whole state from the rest of Australia?

3 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

What's happened in VIC could've happened in any other state - it's just unfortunate. Although economically wouldn't it just make more sense to lockdown the whole of Melbourne as that's where all the cases are, rather than isolate the whole state from the rest of Australia?

Yes you're right, vitcoria is vast and Melbourne is but one part of it. If it was possible to lockdown the Melbourne Metro area only then it would definitely be fairer to the regional areas. It just seems it might be easier (not necessarily better or fairer) to draw a line at the state border to enforce, rather than specific suburbs within Vic

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Of course it would, and I expect they would do the same whichever state it was.

You have to look at the practicality of closing borders.   WA, the NT and Queensland can do it because they have a limited number of major entry points, where they can set up road blocks.  You'd have to really "go bush" to get around them, which reduces the number of people sneaking through.   From memory, there's a lot more access points on the Victoria/NSW border.    And trying to barricade everyone inside Melbourne would be nightmare!

• Like 1

Apparently a lot of truck drivers and business people from Victoria are nicking over the SA border and back all the time and no one is picking them up for it. It was on the news about it so maybe they will tighten things up now. For now I hope the police get those selfish bs who refuse to abide by the rules and have made us all suffer as a result.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, anlopa said:

We live on the NSW QLD border and Victorian plates pass though the boarder without being challenged 

It will be interesting to see if that changes now, as on the news report the other night Anna was saying very few Victorians would be given permission to enter and they had to be extreme circumstances. She also said anyone caught lying / cheating will be fined up to $4000 and a possible prison sentence.

Cal x

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Why leave it so long though?. Delaying it 5 days like that gives any potential carrier more time to get across the border. The same thing happened when Victoria effectively closed some post codes, and people moved out of those post codes into non-effected areas so they could carry on with their  plans. (some AFL players were mentioned in the press for doing just that so they could go off to the quarantined hubs in NSW, Queensland etc). 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mike@Bonbeach said:

Why leave it so long though?. Delaying it 5 days like that gives any potential carrier more time to get across the border. The same thing happened when Victoria effectively closed some post codes, and people moved out of those post codes into non-effected areas so they could carry on with their  plans. (some AFL players were mentioned in the press for doing just that so they could go off to the quarantined hubs in NSW, Queensland etc). 

They need to give their citizens a chance to get home

• Like 1