Do I need a migration agent?

Amzlou84

I am about to submit a PR application for 190 visa in vic. We have been here 3.5 years already. Its pretty straight forward, family of four, applying for skilled visa. I dont have a migration agent and have done everything myself so far. Would you recommend getting a MA to review before submitting? Im not sure how I could get it wrong..... but theres a little bit of me thats worried! 

I would have got them to help at the start - getting a MA to review now is a bit like teaching yourself the Maths A Level course, sitting the exam and then 2 minutes before the exam ends paying an actual teacher to check you'd learnt the syllabus correctly.

The fact you think it's simple and you won't have been able to do it suggests you wouldn't value their professional input anyway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Amzlou84 said:

I am about to submit a PR application for 190 visa in vic. We have been here 3.5 years already. Its pretty straight forward, family of four, applying for skilled visa. I dont have a migration agent and have done everything myself so far. Would you recommend getting a MA to review before submitting? Im not sure how I could get it wrong..... but theres a little bit of me thats worried! 

Impossible to say without reviewing your file to see what's missing (if anything).

Best regards.

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I certainly dont value your extremely blunt/rude input thats for sure.

How could I not do it myself..... I did the english test, I did the skills assessment. I collated all my degree paperwork and the like and I certainly did not say it was simple anywhere in my post. 

You cant make an assumption about me that I wouldnt value someones input. Hope you have a better day tomorrow and try to be kinder to people who are just trying tHeir best. 

Edited by Amzlou84
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Amzlou84 said:

I think for peace of mind getting someone to check it is a good idea. If you have done all your skills assessments and english etc and feel you have it all ready, maybe contact alan collett above who is an agent and I expect would charge a reduced fee for looking it over.
Small price if it means you don’t lay awake worrying, rightly or wrongly, that you might have forgotten/missed something. 
Good luck.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Amzlou84 said:

I'd say yes, get a migration agent to check it over.  It's not going to cost much in the scheme of things and better safe than sorry.   Immigration are pretty unforgiving - if you make a tiny mistake, they don't come back and say, "did you mean.....", they just reject it and you've lost your money.  Better safe than sorry.

It might also be worth asking the agent what your chances are for the 190 in your state.  Many states are moving away from granting 190's to 491's, so you might have a long wait. A good agent will have a fair idea based on their other clients.

• Like 2

If you're someone who wants to live and breathe visas for the next 6 to 12 months then feel free to do it yourself.  If you don't want to have to constantly check for changes to skilled occupations lists, quotas etc etc and you want to be sure you don't make silly mistakes or that you don't miss an opportunity then i'd get an agent.

Tbh, if you've done all the prep upto your EOI then i'd do the rest yourself as well.  IMO the visa isn't as challenging as all the legwork you have to put in just to get an invite to apply.

15 hours ago, Amzlou84 said:

The age-old question which is guaranteed to fire up debate and very differing opinions.

The reality is that it will depend on your specific and personal situation as to whether an Agent is required or recommended.

You state that you are about to submit a 190 visa application. Do you mean that you have lodged an EOI, lodged a State sponsorship application with Victoria, been approved by Victoria, received an invitation from the Department of Home Affairs and are about to lodge the subclass 190 visa?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mt9754 said:

If you're someone who wants to live and breathe visas for the next 6 to 12 months then feel free to do it yourself.  If you don't want to have to constantly check for changes to skilled occupations lists, quotas etc etc and you want to be sure you don't make silly mistakes or that you don't miss an opportunity then i'd get an agent.

Tbh, if you've done all the prep upto your EOI then i'd do the rest yourself as well.  IMO the visa isn't as challenging as all the legwork you have to put in just to get an invite to apply.

That's a good point.

Visas are what migration agents do - many of us almost live and breathe it every day.

Visas are not what the unrepresented visa applicant does  each day - they'll maybe see one visa application in their life.  Or more if they get it wrong first time around.

For a family of 4 you're looking at visa application charges of maybe a shade over A$8k.  Are you prepared to write that off if you get it wrong and need to apply again?

Best regards.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2020 at 11:36, Amzlou84 said:

I certainly dont value your extremely blunt/rude input thats for sure.

How could I not do it myself..... I did the english test, I did the skills assessment. I collated all my degree paperwork and the like and I certainly did not say it was simple anywhere in my post. 

You cant make an assumption about me that I wouldnt value someones input. Hope you have a better day tomorrow and try to be kinder to people who are just trying tHeir best. 

You asked for opinions and advice, you got it... The fact you didn't like it isn't my fault - it probably just shows up the fact that you are worried about it and hearing the blunt message that maybe you should have thought of this earlier has upset you.

I can of course make the assumption that you wouldn't "value someone's input" as you specifically state in your first sentence that you "don't value my input".

If you can make such an obvious continuity error in a post of 5 sentences I wonder how many you might have made in a full visa application

Edited by Ausvisitor
  • Like 1

Having been on PIO for 11 years, I have read more posts than I can remember about posters making a mistake on their visa application, and it being rejected, 

Its up to the individual to use an MA or not. I would suggest if there is a slight doubt or worry about an an application, then it might be a small price to pay to get advice. The agents who post on Poms are all Mara registered and very well respected, should you wish to contact one.

Always better to take advice from an MA rather than a poster however well intentioned.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been a member of this forum for almost 12 years, and have worked in the immigration arena in the past.   From my observations of posts on here and my personal knowledge of visa applications, there are many little things that can go wrong because of lack of informed knowledge/understanding of certain questions and requests.   If you get one small thing ,your application will be rejected and you will lose the fee you have paid.   For what it is worth, if you are having "wobbles" now about your application, you would be best advised to consult a Migration Agent.   Better to be safe than sorry maybe.

• Like 2

I'd say it's piece of mind which you are paying for, given that the agent along with the agency is competent. I wouldn't doubt your or anyone's ability to complete the paperwork themselves, as many people have successfully done so in the past. Nonetheless, having someone with experience help navigate you through the BS and help cross your T's and dot your I's certainly gave me piece of mind. 

• Like 1