Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic ?

North to South

9 hours ago, Bulya said:

Bought some for the family.  Found it sickly sweet.  

I’m sure it’s all about what we’re used to. It probably does taste sickly sweet and very creamy if you’re not used to it. For most poms, I’d say they’d think it’s nicer than the Oz versions but years later when they’re used to the Oz ones the U.K. equivalent may be too sweet and creamy. When I’m in Oz, I eat it and like it but always think umm... definitely not quite as nice.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m sure it’s all about what we’re used to. It probably does taste sickly sweet and very creamy if you’re not used to it. 

It doesn't taste sickly sweet to me.  I think the difference is the "mouth feel".   British Cadbury's melts in the mouth in a satisfying way, probably because of the vegetable fats.   I still like that about it, but I'm not so keen on the flavour any more. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It doesn't taste sickly sweet to me.  I think the difference is the "mouth feel".   British Cadbury's melts in the mouth in a satisfying way, probably because of the vegetable fats.   I still like that about it, but I'm not so keen on the flavour any more. 

Similar to having full fat milk in your covfefe.  Like sipping on an oil well!

19 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

That's nonsense. Chocolate is artificial. The product is as much about the process as the ingredients, which vary widely from country to country. There's no such thing as 'real chocolate'. 

If you read the article, they're classifying "real chocolate" as chocolate that's made from cocoa butter, cocoa solids, sugar, and milk.   For some reason (possibly economics), Cadbury has always substituted a percentage of vegetable fat for the cocoa butter.  Since cocoa is what makes chocolate chocolate, some people view that as 'adulterating" the pure product. I think the EU has been reluctant to permit that, because they worry other European producers would follow suit.

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you read the article, they're classifying "real chocolate" as chocolate that's made from cocoa butter, cocoa solids, sugar, and milk.   For some reason (possibly economics), Cadbury has always substituted a percentage of vegetable fat for the cocoa butter.  Since cocoa is what makes chocolate chocolate, some people view that as 'adulterating" the pure product. I think the EU has been reluctant to permit that, because they worry other European producers would follow suit.

I read the article before I commented (strangely enough), and whilst British chocolate may not be as pure as the fancy stuff they make in France or Belgium, there's no suggestion that it isn't 'real chocolate'. They are only referring to 5% vegetable fat anyway. 18 carat gold is only 75% gold, but no one says 'it's not really gold'.

9 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

That's nonsense. Chocolate is artificial. The product is as much about the process as the ingredients, which vary widely from country to country. There's no such thing as 'real chocolate'. 

You didn’t read it did you?

• Like 1

No wonder this discussion has deteriorated into nonsense, way off topic, such as the comparisons between chocolates. I mean....really?? People come here for advice about immigration.

Getting back on track, and for the benefit of people who query,during said nuances about chocolate,  Australia has closed its borders until June 2021.Today's news.

Its not about:"Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic" ? as the subject matter suggests. 

Its about what Australia will determine.

Therefore, nobody will be coming to Australia for the next 12 months, AT LEAST according to SM., especially anyone from any country where the Australian Federal Govt. deems that efforts at curtailing the spread of Covid-19  are insufficient within such countries. and the risk,or otherwise of accepting such immigation from within those environments. 

You can probably guess where people are probably never coming to Australia, ever. Is this the end of UK immigation to Australia?

For me, this is a great outcome.  

I hope this information assists people who have been looking for information. When PM ScoMo states that Australia will be isolated from the rest of the world as suggested in todays media, then you can be assured that all federal departments including Immigraition will be required to adopt an isolationist stance.

Edited by Dusty Plains

40 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Its not about:"Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic" ? as the subject matter suggests. 

Its about what Australia will determine.

Therefore, nobody will be coming to Australia for the next 12 months, AT LEAST according to SM., especially anyone from any country where the Australian Federal Govt. deems that efforts at curtailing the spread of Covid-19  are insufficient within such countries. and the risk,or otherwise of accepting such immigation from within those environments. 

I think the travel bans will stay in place until mid-next year, but that doesn't mean visas won't be granted.   I read an article where ScoMo said that while immigration would be down 85% this year, there were no plans to reduce immigration numbers for next year.  

I'd say it would be more accurate to say that controls will still remain in place so casual/holiday visits won't be allowed, but that people with valid visas will still be allowed in - and they are still granting visas, as you'll see if you look at other threads on these forums.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think the travel bans will stay in place until mid-next year, but that doesn't mean visas won't be granted.   I read an article where ScoMo said that while immigration would be down 85% this year, there were no plans to reduce immigration numbers for next year.  

I'd say it would be more accurate to say that controls will still remain in place so casual/holiday visits won't be allowed, but that people with valid visas will still be allowed in - and they are still granting visas, as you'll see if you look at other threads on these forums.

Perhaps. However, ScoMo has made no such indication other than the announcement yesterday (Thursday) that Australia will be isolated from the world for the forseeable future. When asked what the "forseeable future" might entail he replied that statements fom QANTAS indicated that its aircraft will not be flying outside Australia until mid 2021 at the earliest, were in effect not unreasonable in terms of the general "foresseable future" for Australia in isolating itself from the rest of the world. In other words he was happy to endorse and highlight the QANTAs model as a reasonable time frame for isolation generally.

It would seem therefore that although people have visas or pending visas, it is very unlikely that such people will be disembarkibg on Australian soil for the next 12 months. Australia is concerned with the rapid spread of Covid 10 throughout South America in particular. This issue was also mentioned in Sco Mo's announcement.

Who knows. In June 2021 we may still be reluctant to open the entry gates. My own view is that at June 2021 the world will still be coping with Covid19 throughout Europe and the Americas.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

It would seem therefore that although people have visas or pending visas, it is very unlikely that such people will be disembarkibg on Australian soil for the next 12 months.

ScoMo is talking about maintaining the status quo, isn't he?  Not making it tougher.  And plenty of people are arriving already.  Just look at other threads on this forum.  People with 189 and 190 visas booking flights to arrive in the next three or four months.  They don't even need to apply for an exemption to travel.   Look on the partner visa threads - people have been granted those visas in the past few weeks and are planning their trips (again, no exemption needed).   People are planning to arrive for activation visits too (no exemption needed, even though they will turn around and leave again after a few days). Partners are getting permission to travel on tourist visas too, for compassionate reasons.   People with valid permanent visas are still arriving and new visas are still being processed.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

ScoMo is talking about maintaining the status quo, isn't he?  Not making it tougher.  And plenty of people are arriving already.  Just look at other threads on this forum.  People with 189 and 190 visas booking flights to arrive in the next three or four months.  They don't even need to apply for an exemption to travel.   Look on the partner visa threads - people have been granted those visas in the past few weeks and are planning their trips (again, no exemption needed).   People are planning to arrive for activation visits too (no exemption needed, even though they will turn around and leave again after a few days). Partners are getting permission to travel on tourist visas too, for compassionate reasons.   People with valid permanent visas are still arriving and new visas are still being processed.

Can you enter Australia on a 491 visa, it was granted in January 

59 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It seems so. Its difficult to find out any greater details following the announcement.

2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

It seems so. Its difficult to find out any greater details following the announcement.

Well, this is stressful news !
We're citizens, returning in five weeks time (could NOT return earlier due to various restrictions here in the UK) if all flights into Australia get banned, then we'll be stuck, homeless, here in the UK.

46 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Well, this is stressful news !
We're citizens, returning in five weeks time (could NOT return earlier due to various restrictions here in the UK) if all flights into Australia get banned, then we'll be stuck, homeless, here in the UK.

If your citizens you can travel can’t you ?

40 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

If your citizens you can travel can’t you ?

Yes, that is correct. But, I read Dusty Plains comments - see below - and it has seriously unsettled me.

It may have been just an "off the cuff" comment by SM - but who knows ? it's just very very unsettling to know he said that.

6 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Therefore, nobody will be coming to Australia for the next 12 months, AT LEAST according to SM., especially anyone from any country where the Australian Federal Govt. deems that efforts at curtailing the spread of Covid-19  are insufficient within such countries.

• Like 1

We are on the last few days’ countdown now; depart London on Thursday, arrive Melbourne on Friday.

I should feel excited but it’s stressful!  We are 3 citizens plus a 309/100 visa holder.  I think we’ve got our plans sorted but the goalposts keep moving and the rules are confusing.  However no going back now as we will be homeless once we’ve returned the keys to our rental.

fingers crossed x

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 1