Moving To Cheshire

LincolnH

Hi Everyone.  After years of debating we have decided we are moving back to England in May/June time. Bit of background..My Fiancee is Australian and son was born here last year I’m from England but have lived in Melbourne for 8 years. Tough decision and getting a lot of guilt from my partners parents but we feel it’s the best decision for our family right now. My partners sister lives in England soon to have kids and her brother lives in Germany. We currently live in Victoria with no family nearby and me working 6 day weeks (her parents live central coast NSW). We are looking at the Cheshire area to rent in at first as that’s generally where work will be for me plus close to family etc although don’t really know the area that well? Was looking for any advice regarding Chester and surrounding areas that could be potentially be home for us? Decent areas close to amenities. Appreciate your time in reading this lengthy post!

• Like 1

Best of luck with the move. 

I trust your fiance has British citizenship - if not, have you researched getting a partner visa for her?

I trust you've got your Australian citizenship.  If not, don't even consider moving until you get it.  With an Australian-born partner and  child, you never know what the future may bring and you don't want to be locked out of should you wish to live in Oz for a while in the future.  Family visas (partner or parent) are becoming increasingly difficult to get and some governments don't even offer them any more.  There's every reason to think Australia will follow that trend.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Thanks Toots is she still active on here? Yeah have my Australian Citizenship so that’s not a problem, my partner has her Maltese citizenship which was our original entry idea but now have to be in the UK before we r planning on being there due to Brexit so looking like the spouse visa is the option. Away for Xmas but going to get the ball rolling when I get back to Melbourne. Thanks for the reply Marisa 👍

20 minutes ago, LincolnH said:

my partner has her Maltese citizenship which was our original entry idea but now have to be in the UK before we r planning on being there due to Brexit so looking like the spouse visa is the option. 

Is there a typo in there somewhere?  If you get back before Brexit happens, then her Maltese citizenship will allow her into the country.   If you delay till after Brexit, then she'll need a spouse visa.  Approval is quick (we got ours in three weeks), but the application form is complex, and there's an extra paper form you have to complete which a lot of people miss (and get refused as a result!).  If you're not aware already, check out the financial requirements to make sure you can meet them.

59 minutes ago, LincolnH said:

Thanks Toots is she still active on here? Yeah have my Australian Citizenship so that’s not a problem, my partner has her Maltese citizenship which was our original entry idea but now have to be in the UK before we r planning on being there due to Brexit so looking like the spouse visa is the option. Away for Xmas but going to get the ball rolling when I get back to Melbourne. Thanks for the reply Marisa 👍

Yes Amber is still active on this forum.  I'm sure she will be helpful and answer your queries about Cheshire.

Thanks Marisa yeah what you wrote is pretty much what I was trying to say, little fella has teeth coming through and had a sleepless night last nite so brains not working aswell lol. Yeh we have savings and I have a couple of job options that should be able to fulfill spouse visa requirements. 3 weeks is pretty good! How much did that cost you if you don’t mind me asking? Will prob go through an agency need to look into it. Thanks again

9 minutes ago, LincolnH said:

Thanks Marisa yeah what you wrote is pretty much what I was trying to say, little fella has teeth coming through and had a sleepless night last nite so brains not working aswell lol. Yeh we have savings and I have a couple of job options that should be able to fulfill spouse visa requirements. 3 weeks is pretty good! How much did that cost you if you don’t mind me asking? Will prob go through an agency need to look into it. Thanks again

I don't think an agent is necessary for a UK spouse visa.   It's totally different to the Australian one.   You apply online and the application form is a pain in the neck, but it's complicated rather than difficult, if you know what I mean. It's just a case of plodding through it and providing all the facts.  You don't need to supply all the proofs of relationship like the Australian one.  

You submit it, then you print it all off, fill out the financial requirements form (which they forget to mention on the online portal), and make an appointment for your partner to have a face-to-face interview. Then she takes all the documents and copies of bank statements/proof of employment with her (you don't get interviewed at all). 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/826340/Appendix-FM-1-7-Financial-Requirement-ext_1.pdf

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Toots said:

Yes Amber is still active on this forum.  I'm sure she will be helpful and answer your queries about Cheshire.

Thanks Toots! Yes I am in Frodsham. @Antipodista is also here. Lost a year somewhere, we were going to have coffee! @LincolnH when you get here we’ll start a support group!

Frodsham is great, close to M6, I work over the bridge in Knowsley, 20 mins. Warrington not far, train into Liverpool and Manchester. Nice market town with cafes and amenities. 
M56 to Chester can be busy in peak times though if that’s where you will be working.

Chester has some nicer suburbs and some less nice ones, I’m not much of an expert on those I’m afraid.

Where are you expecting to be working?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@LincolnH  I was at the hospital today andmy drive took me through parts of Hoole, Hoole Village, Upton, Newton and Mickle Trafford, all of which looked ok! Nice green spaces, people out and about. Don’t quote me on this but I have entered Chester from the South some time ago and that appeared grottier.....looking at a map it might be Great Boughton and the southside of Hoole? 
No idea of cost of housing but it might give you something to google!
Otherwise come and join us at Frodsham/Helsby!

Not sure if this helps......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi LincolnH

i only just joined the site and read your post, did you move to Cheshire and where did you settle? Have you settled? 
that’s my home area and we are looking at moving back in the next few years.  There are some beautiful villages around Chester,  bunbury, tattenhall, tarporley, just to mention a few( depending on budget obviously. I’d love to hear from you 😊

• Like 2

On 10/02/2021 at 09:30, Fergie said:

Hi LincolnH

i only just joined the site and read your post, did you move to Cheshire and where did you settle? Have you settled? 
that’s my home area and we are looking at moving back in the next few years.  There are some beautiful villages around Chester,  bunbury, tattenhall, tarporley, just to mention a few( depending on budget obviously. I’d love to hear from you 😊

Hi how are you? Unfortunately we haven’t made it back yet! We had one way flights booked for May 2020 but obviously they were cancelled and have decided to just wait this year out and see how things progress as pointless moving back at the minute. We are going to book flights for April 2021 now so hopefully everything is abit more settled by then! We still aren’t decided on where exactly in Cheshire yet but thanks for your recommendations will look into them! How long have you been in Aus?

Hi LincolnH 

I did wonder if you went back given present circumstances, pretty awful for everyone over there at the mo. 
I’ve been here 15 years this April, but knew after 12-18 months it wasn’t for me. So I’ve struggled for a long time(  hubby’s job, then 3 kids in school, in turn them all coming up to year 11-12) but my youngest is 19 now and there’s light at the end of the tunnel. 
chester is a lovely little city, it’s actually the most Roman city in the Uk now apparently!

The villages I mentioned above are about 20 mins into the city at most. There are lots of lovely pubs all around the area, walks and people are nice and friendly. I’m on a few of the community pages , so I see what goes on and get an insight to what it’s like and it’s very encouraging, people helpful, community stuff going on, quite lovely really. 
If you need any more information on the area, let me know, as I know it quite well😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LincolnH said:

Hi how are you? Unfortunately we haven’t made it back yet! We had one way flights booked for May 2020 but obviously they were cancelled and have decided to just wait this year out and see how things progress as pointless moving back at the minute. We are going to book flights for April 2021 now so hopefully everything is abit more settled by then! We still aren’t decided on where exactly in Cheshire yet but thanks for your recommendations will look into them! How long have you been in Aus?

We lived in Gee Cross before we emigrated and my wifes Dad and Sister are still there. Nice little village, close to Stockport, close to Hyde. Hyde's not that nice mind you, has a decent market though.

Walk to a country park from there, canal and river just down the road. Me and the youngster had some brilliant bike rides along the canal path. Into the pennines one way and into Manchester the other way.

Lots of nice pubs, few less after covid but still enough.