Secondary School Teacher 190/491

PickledRic

15 minutes ago, 31Hillbury said:

What points are people thinking will be enough for 190 selection? 

I wonder if it will be people with 80 points + 5 state nomination and above; surely anyone who can achieve 85+ points without the extra five from state nomination would go for the 189? Unless they really don’t want to wait for it?

i have no idea how they’ll work it, does anyone know what the state nomination point scores looked like before Nov 16th?

What do you think it’ll be?

2 hours ago, PickledRic said:

I wonder if it will be people with 80 points + 5 state nomination and above; surely anyone who can achieve 85+ points without the extra five from state nomination would go for the 189? Unless they really don’t want to wait for it?

i have no idea how they’ll work it, does anyone know what the state nomination point scores looked like before Nov 16th?

What do you think it’ll be?

I was hoping of something around that to be honest! 
The points and wait time for 189 are crazy at the moment! 

On 26/11/2019 at 22:16, Dean0703 said:

I have no idea what teaching is like in QLD, we live in Glasgow! 

Hi, I taught secondary in NSW for a couple of years and then QLD for 3 years, returned to the UK for family reasons, taught here for the last 4.5 years, and have just accepted a job to teach back in Brisbane in January 2020.

Teaching in Australia is superior to that in the UK in just about every way I can think of with one notable exception - you get slightly less holidays (about 11.5 weeks a year) - but I think you can survive on less because you're nowhere near as stressed out! I'm happy to answer any questions you might have on teaching in QLD compared to the UK - either in the post, or PM me if you like.

Cheers, Mart.

P.S. And the best bit, you don't have to wear a shirt and tie - woohoo!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dean0703 said:

As a side question - I take it I have to get a skilled employment statement from AITSL as well as th skills assessment for EOI purposes? 

I would get the skilled employment statement; it’s no extra and it confirms your work experience for your points.

1 hour ago, 31Hillbury said:

I was hoping of something around that to be honest! 
The points and wait time for 189 are crazy at the moment! 

yeah it’s mad with the 189, it makes me think that maybe people who can get the 189 might be tactical and go for a different visa with quicker processing times and if that’s the case then it will take places from people who don’t have enough for 189 frustratingly. 
Hopefully they start inviting soon so we can have an inkling of what things might look like!

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Hi, I taught secondary in NSW for a couple of years and then QLD for 3 years, returned to the UK for family reasons, taught here for the last 4.5 years, and have just accepted a job to teach back in Brisbane in January 2020.

Teaching in Australia is superior to that in the UK in just about every way I can think of with one notable exception - you get slightly less holidays (about 11.5 weeks a year) - but I think you can survive on less because you're nowhere near as stressed out! I'm happy to answer any questions you might have on teaching in QLD compared to the UK - either in the post, or PM me if you like.

Cheers, Mart.

P.S. And the best bit, you don't have to wear a shirt and tie - woohoo!

Congrats on the job offer!! You must be pleased to be able to go back, if not just to escape the horrible weather here!

It sounds very different which is good, my partner works ridiculous hours and despite the huge amount of holidays he’d rather have a better quality of life year round with less holidays.

out of curiosity; what do you wear to work if not shirt and tie?! My partner is intrigued and finding it hard to get his head round this 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dean0703 said:

$228 extra 

Twice as we’re both teachers. What a money spinner, it’s my Headteacher that signs the letter and his secretary that writes it. 

I merely upload it and pay $228 for the privilege of the AITSL reading it and saying it was nice. 

Ahh that’s frustrating, sorry I didn’t realise they’d changed the process. 
when we applied to AITSL in March it wasn’t any extra for the employment statement and you couldn’t upload documents it all had to be sent in the post.

It’s a big expense no doubt, but if it helps you on your way and is likely to make the process simpler when it comes to getting the visa then I’d say it’s worth it in the long run. Still doesn’t take the sting out of it though.

It seems a lot of this process is a few hundred dollars here and there with putting in applications to individual states; teacher registration with each state etc. and it all adds up. Still worth it though if it’s something you really want. You can’t put a price on living out your dream I guess!

No, you can't put a price on it although I've spent $1690 on two skills assessments, £180 on an English test when I teach it and I'll add the $454 for skilled employment statements a statement well. And what oh what do I have for that - nothing! However, it'll all be worth it in the end. Provided I get a job in NSW and earn a good deal more than I do here.

6 hours ago, 31Hillbury said:

What’s the need for the skilled employment statements? 

I think it’s basically to quantify your work experience which is useful when it comes to submitting evidence for the visa for points claimed for work experience. We got one but as it was done in March and my partner has since gained an extra five points for work experience we’ll need to show wage slips alongside the statement to make up the extra year.

6 hours ago, Lambert said:

I wear shorts and t shirt to school. Sometimes if I’m in a meeting I’ll upgrade to boat shoes 😂

😂 That sounds amazing. I think he’ll find it dead weird not wearing a suit to work but it just sounds so much more relaxed and appropriate to the heat. 

12 hours ago, PickledRic said:

yeah it’s mad with the 189, it makes me think that maybe people who can get the 189 might be tactical and go for a different visa with quicker processing times and if that’s the case then it will take places from people who don’t have enough for 189 frustratingly. 

That seems to be the case, in my own journey, our agent advised going for the 190 instead of the 189 for the simple reason that we wanted to go to NSW anyway and the likelihood of getting chosen to apply for nomination was high (as it turned out we got the invite less than 48 hours after submitting), where as we though the 189 queue time would be at least 4-5 months.

It means we will be tied to NSW for the first 2 years, but given my occupation (I'm not a teacher) it's 90% likely I would have to be in Sydney anyway so that's hardly a problem.

12 hours ago, PickledRic said:

Congrats on the job offer!! You must be pleased to be able to go back, if not just to escape the horrible weather here!

It sounds very different which is good, my partner works ridiculous hours and despite the huge amount of holidays he’d rather have a better quality of life year round with less holidays.

out of curiosity; what do you wear to work if not shirt and tie?! My partner is intrigued and finding it hard to get his head round this 😂

Thank you! Yes, pleased to be going back but been back in the UK for 5 years so will miss things about being here too - although the weather isn't one of them!

Average teaching load is about 18 hours/week, so about three quarters of the standard UK load.

Each school has their own dress code but most of the school's I've worked in it's 'smart casual'. I usually wear trousers and a casual shirt (not a suit shirt), and everyone seems to think I'm over-dressed. Most male staff wear shorts and T-shirts in QLD - although usually a T-shirt with buttons, to keep up appearances 🙂 It can get stinking hot remember and some classrooms are not air-conditioned, so that's the downside.

9 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

That seems to be the case, in my own journey, our agent advised going for the 190 instead of the 189 for the simple reason that we wanted to go to NSW anyway and the likelihood of getting chosen to apply for nomination was high (as it turned out we got the invite less than 48 hours after submitting), where as we though the 189 queue time would be at least 4-5 months.

It means we will be tied to NSW for the first 2 years, but given my occupation (I'm not a teacher) it's 90% likely I would have to be in Sydney anyway so that's hardly a problem.

I think it’s good to be flexible in terms of location anyway, like you said it’s only 2 years and you might well learn to love it anyway. If not you’ve got the permanent visa under your belt anyway and can move on, it’s well worth it I think. Amazing that you got invited so soon after applying, that must have been so exciting for you 😊

when are you planning on moving over?

9 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Thank you! Yes, pleased to be going back but been back in the UK for 5 years so will miss things about being here too - although the weather isn't one of them!

Average teaching load is about 18 hours/week, so about three quarters of the standard UK load.

Each school has their own dress code but most of the school's I've worked in it's 'smart casual'. I usually wear trousers and a casual shirt (not a suit shirt), and everyone seems to think I'm over-dressed. Most male staff wear shorts and T-shirts in QLD - although usually a T-shirt with buttons, to keep up appearances 🙂 It can get stinking hot remember and some classrooms are not air-conditioned, so that's the downside.

it sounds so much more relaxed and just an all round better environment for working. I think the U.K. has the mentality of working people into the ground and even then it’s not enough; it will be nice to live somewhere that values different things in life.

very chuffed about the shorts and t shirt situation, I was a bit worried about wearing smart clothes in the heat but it seems to be a very reasonable, practical country! 

We’re so excited. The more we hear about it the more excited we get. So looking forward to making a home somewhere new! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PickledRic said:

I think it’s good to be flexible in terms of location anyway, like you said it’s only 2 years and you might well learn to love it anyway. If not you’ve got the permanent visa under your belt anyway and can move on, it’s well worth it I think. Amazing that you got invited so soon after applying, that must have been so exciting for you 😊

when are you planning on moving over?

We are in the final throws of getting the visa decision (all docs, meds and police submitted). Hopeful of an answer before the New Year.

Assuming that the decision is a Yes we will go over in June

38 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

We are in the final throws of getting the visa decision (all docs, meds and police submitted). Hopeful of an answer before the New Year.

Awesome! Where you moving to? 

Any help you need let me know... 

I don’t see the point of them having it on their 190 at all. The majority of folk after a 190 aren’t in Australia working unless I’m grossly misunderstanding the entire process. 

Plus, the 189 points debacle is getting impossible for so many. I’m at a point where I’ll never have any more points - sitting about 80 max. 

Unless I go and do a PHD. And by the time I’ve done that I’ll have lost my 30 age points and I’m back to the same again. 

I think in a few years straight up permanent migration will be a thing of the past. It’ll be temporary for x years and then onto permanent. 

I don’t get the point of a system that has a requirement of 65 points that will never let anyone in at that level. You’d think exceeding the requirement by 10-15 points would be plenty. But of course it’s not! 

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Ahh fingers crossed for you, that’s so exciting 😊 

It’ll be nice to have an Australian winter to ease you into the summer too I imagine! 

15 minutes ago, 31Hillbury said:

It is annoying! When they have the conditions!

Scoring high points without Australian qualifications and experience is also very annoying! 

Fingers crossed it will sort it’s self out as of this months draw and in the new year! 

Still hopeful! 

The conditions are very frustrating, it does seem to be pushing out a lot of high quality international migrants due to the restrictions but I also understand that they want to encourage migration within the country itself.

I’m still hopeful though too, I think anyone scoring relatively high has got a good shot it just might take a bit longer than it would have 6/12 months ago. 

We’ll get there!

55 minutes ago, Dean0703 said:

I don’t see the point of them having it on their 190 at all. The majority of folk after a 190 aren’t in Australia working unless I’m grossly misunderstanding the entire process. 

Plus, the 189 points debacle is getting impossible for so many. I’m at a point where I’ll never have any more points - sitting about 80 max. 

Unless I go and do a PHD. And by the time I’ve done that I’ll have lost my 30 age points and I’m back to the same again. 

I think in a few years straight up permanent migration will be a thing of the past. It’ll be temporary for x years and then onto permanent. 

I don’t get the point of a system that has a requirement of 65 points that will never let anyone in at that level. You’d think exceeding the requirement by 10-15 points would be plenty. But of course it’s not! 

I really think you should look at a temporary visa and then get the Australian experience then transition over. 

Onshore applicants are always favoured and processed faster due to visa’s running out etc 

I’ll take whatever visa is going. Ride the 3 year on the 491 and then get permanent. And it’ll not be 3 years of the ideal scenario but it’ll be fine in the end. 

As we have said before in the time you can wait for a 189 you could be there, never get a 189 and then all the terms change again and you get nothing. 

So the means to the end is what will have to do I reckon. 

1 minute ago, Dean0703 said:

I’ll take whatever visa is going. Ride the 3 year on the 491 and then get permanent. And it’ll not be 3 years of the ideal scenario but it’ll be fine in the end. 

As we have said before in the time you can wait for a 189 you could be there, never get a 189 and then all the terms change again and you get nothing. 

So the means to the end is what will have to do I reckon. 

Look at the 482 visa.. get over here ASAP then move over to the new visa! I can easily help you with this 

On 03/12/2019 at 17:01, Geography87 said:

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, that seems to be the issue and by the time I have enough experience, I will have lost 5 points for age. I haven't heard anything about the 482 so will certainly look into it!

Do I currently stand a chance in VIC or, NT or TAS? The SA list came out today and I can see that it's not an option for me unfortunately. 

I know a teacher in a similar situation who went out bush for two years as he was able to get a regional type of visa which moved onto PR. He loved it and stayed another year, this was 4 years ago and maybe it's all changed. He would tell you his whole life perspective has changed from working remote and speaks the local languages to a fair degree.

In WA there seems to be thousands of unemployed Phys Ed teachers who get work in Health and Biology subjects (shortage of science teachers) whilst teaching a couple of Phys Ed lessons per week. It allows them to still wear Phys Ed shorts and a polo shirt even when they are teaching more Science than Phys Ed! I'm presuming you are Geography, there's a fair amount of HASS Teachers as well unfortunately.

Edited by benj1980

3 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I know a teacher in a similar situation who went out bush for two years as he was able to get a regional type of visa which moved onto PR. He loved it and stayed another year, this was 4 years ago and maybe it's all changed. He would tell you his whole life perspective has changed from working remote and speaks the local languages to a fair degree.

In WA there seems to be thousands of unemployed Phys Ed teachers who get work in Health and Biology subjects (shortage of science teachers) whilst teaching a couple of Phys Ed lessons per week. It allows them to still wear Phys Ed shorts and a polo shirt even when they are teaching more Science than Phys Ed! I'm presuming you are Geography, there's a fair amount of HASS Teachers as well unfortunately.

Wow, that's awesome! I would happily work anywhere if it was the means to the end (PR). I looked into the 482 however, it seems you need 2 years minimum experience for that too. Barriers at every hurdle. I am currently teaching EAL and have been for a few years (with some Geography in between). I am now a senior teacher, but because my degree is not related to EAL I don't think I can get there on the 482 with that occupation either. All very frustrating.