Secondary School Teacher 190/491

PickledRic

Thought I’d keep the thread updated; our QLD 491 nomination got approved yesterday so we’re just starting to lodge it officially now!

Very exciting and it’s all been so quick up to press. The nomination has been approved three days before the two weeks to lodge was up! Here’s hoping the next process is as quick!

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I’d do another update!

We lodged our visa on the 12th February and had our medicals on the 19th which were uploaded the day after with no issues or further actions (thankfully! Was actually quite nerve wracking having a medical haha)

We’re all paid up etc. And our immi account is now showing a processing time of 38-41 days so we should have a grant by end of March/beginning of April all being well!

They really do seem to be prioritising the 491 based on how quick everything has been so far.

Will keep updating as things progress, hopefully it’s useful to anyone going through the process currently 😊

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another update! 

The visa processing time on our immi account was 38-41 days, we received a direct grant this morning which makes it a total of 21 days (including the weekends).

So we officially have our visa yey!! 

We plan on flying over on the 1st of September 😊

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 2

Another update! 

The visa processing time on our immi account was 38-41 days, we received a direct grant this morning which makes it a total of 21 days (including the weekends).
So we officially have our visa yey!! 

We plan on flying over on the 1st of September [emoji4]

Congrats
Which occupation
I also lodge on 19th feb

13 hours ago, PickledRic said:

Secondary school teacher as per the title of the thread...

Hey! 

I also looking into the 491 for QLD. Before you applied for the 491 what had you sorted? I am bit concerned of applying and then only having a few weeks to complete assessments etc. But I also do not want them to ‘time out’. 

Did you complete you police check, medical and teacher registration before applying? 

I already have my English scores and AITSL assessment. 

Thanks for any advice!

Bethan 🙂 

3 minutes ago, BethanLouise88 said:

Hey! 

I also looking into the 491 for QLD. Before you applied for the 491 what had you sorted? I am bit concerned of applying and then only having a few weeks to complete assessments etc. But I also do not want them to ‘time out’. 

Did you complete you police check, medical and teacher registration before applying? 

I already have my English scores and AITSL assessment. 

Thanks for any advice!

Bethan 🙂 

Hi Bethan,

I would definitely apply for the QCT registration prior to applying for the 491. It takes a long time for this to come back and if you don’t have it when you get invited your application can be declined. 
We’d already done police checks too as these were needed for QCT registration. They’re also not all that expensive to replace if they expire so we figured it was worth getting them done in advance anyway.

We didn’t book in for medicals until we got the official invite to lodge our application; the medical process is quite quick and we didn’t want this to expire by doing it in advance, especially as it’s so expensive. 

You’ve definitely done the hard bit with the English test and AITSL anyway, the rest should be a breeze 😊

Hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, PickledRic said:

Hi Bethan,

I would definitely apply for the QCT registration prior to applying for the 491. It takes a long time for this to come back and if you don’t have it when you get invited your application can be declined. 
We’d already done police checks too as these were needed for QCT registration. They’re also not all that expensive to replace if they expire so we figured it was worth getting them done in advance anyway.

We didn’t book in for medicals until we got the official invite to lodge our application; the medical process is quite quick and we didn’t want this to expire by doing it in advance, especially as it’s so expensive. 

You’ve definitely done the hard bit with the English test and AITSL anyway, the rest should be a breeze 😊

Hope this helps!

That’s great! Thanks for the advice. I currently onshore on WHV, so I hope that doesn’t effect my application. 

• 1 month later...
On 03/12/2019 at 19:30, Lambert said:

It’s the experience you’re lacking unfortunately.

QLD you need 3 years experience for 491 and 5 years for 190

NSW you need 3 - 5 years for 190 and to have lived/worked in NSW for 1 year prior to getting the visa. 491 you need a job offer 

WA: teachers not currently on the list 

ACT: Need to be living and working in the ACT OR a job offer.

Why not go down the 482 route, gain more experience whilst here in Australia and transfer over to the 491? You’ll meet the criteria of experience/living here etc 

Family sponsor stream is so difficult, you’ll be waiting ages!!

Is it mandatory to have work experience if you want to apply for 491? I tried to find that information but I cannot find anywhere stated you need work experience. As far as I know this is just the case for 190. Or am I wrong? If I am wrong, can you please send me a link where this is mentioned?

I got my NESA accreditation in NSW and I am about to get my QCT in QLD as well. At the moment I am on a student visa with EOI 80 points for just 189. And curious if I am eligible for 491 without work experience.

It is difficult with work experience on a student visa because you are just entitled to work maximum 20 a week but to get work experience accredited you need a minimum of 20 hours.

Are there any other possibilities for me to get PR as a secondary teacher on the long run?

10 hours ago, Icey said:

Is it mandatory to have work experience if you want to apply for 491? I tried to find that information but I cannot find anywhere stated you need work experience. As far as I know this is just the case for 190. Or am I wrong? If I am wrong, can you please send me a link where this is mentioned?

I got my NESA accreditation in NSW and I am about to get my QCT in QLD as well. At the moment I am on a student visa with EOI 80 points for just 189. And curious if I am eligible for 491 without work experience.

It is difficult with work experience on a student visa because you are just entitled to work maximum 20 a week but to get work experience accredited you need a minimum of 20 hours.

Are there any other possibilities for me to get PR as a secondary teacher on the long run?

Which state? If QLD, get on to BSMQ site. They have all the information you need for a 491. Onshore you just need to have lived and worked in a regional area for 3 months in a full time capacity. 

May I ask, if you are on a student visa, are you not applying for the Graduate Visa? I don’t know your circumstances but you would qualify for the post study work visa 485 if you studied in Australia. It will give you 2 years full work rights which you can then use to buy you time to get your paperwork in order for a 491. 

On 21/04/2020 at 12:15, Afrochic+61 said:

Which state? If QLD, get on to BSMQ site. They have all the information you need for a 491. Onshore you just need to have lived and worked in a regional area for 3 months in a full time capacity. 

May I ask, if you are on a student visa, are you not applying for the Graduate Visa? I don’t know your circumstances but you would qualify for the post study work visa 485 if you studied in Australia. It will give you 2 years full work rights which you can then use to buy you time to get your paperwork in order for a 491. 

I am looking for QLD and NSW. I am on a student visa. I finished 2 years if study (diploma + advanced diploma project management) in Sydney on a cheap college. I am not sure if I am entitled for the graduate visa. 

• 9 months later...
On 21/04/2020 at 01:44, Icey said:

Hi, my wife is also going to complete her master of secondary teaching from wsu soon. Can u share ur experience. Our points for 189 are 85 and 190 are 90.