Alternatives to kennels when going abroad

benj1980

Hi guys, I am going back to the UK just before New Year for 18 days and are looking to book our two dogs into kennels. A few people have mentioned dogsitting services. I was just wondering what are peoples experiences with this or can people recommend something else that may be worth me checking. I'm in WA if that makes a difference.

1 minute ago, benj1980 said:

Hi guys, I am going back to the UK just before New Year for 18 days and are looking to book our two dogs into kennels. A few people have mentioned dogsitting services. I was just wondering what are peoples experiences with this or can people recommend something else that may be worth me checking. I'm in WA if that makes a difference.

I've heard good and bad stories - at work, one of the single girls house/dog sat for a colleague who was going to Europe

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Most kennels are booked up for Xmas and New Year months in advance. We use a housesitting site (https://mindahome.com.au/) and have had some great sitters but again you've left it a bit late.

I have a good friend who owns a boarding kennel in Kurrajong just outside Sydney and they are fully booked for Christmas 6 months in advance.  Some of the dog owners book for the following Christmas when picking up their dogs   ................  so 12 months in advance.

• Like 2

Some friends of ours use the Grey Nomad website and normally find an older couple to stay. They dont go in the house other than to feed animals, use the laundry for washiing clothes etc, as they have their own camper van to stay in. Gives the nomads somewhere to stay rent free for a few weeks and gives my friend the security of knowing her property is not left unattended. The nomads have references so you can check them out first.

Cal x

• Like 2

On 15/11/2019 at 09:13, benj1980 said:

We are having our first holiday in 4 years this January and found a retired couple from Aussiehousesitters.com. Another couple were interested but too late.  We are in the Brisbane area but stipulated that we would prefer people who were generally around in the daytime (so this excluded applicants who had to commute to work) as our lab is used to human company in the day.

• Like 1

Usually no.  But it depends on how long is  "a long period of time",   the expense and stress on the pet of travelling to another country,  the vaccinations they may need and  travel and accommodation arrangements when there.    For most people this is an unrealistic option.

13 hours ago, thompsonmax said:

Hi there. I am new to this forum. I usually ask my friends to look after my dog when I traveling, but if you go to another country for a long period of time it is better to take pets with you 🤔

How long a period of time, where are you going and how are you going to travel?   

Flying in a crate in the hold of an aircraft is a frightening, stressful experience for any pet.  Obviously if you're moving to another country for years (or forever), then most people decide it's worth doing - but personally, I wouldn't put an animal through that for the sake of a holiday, even a long one.

If you can drive or go by ship, that's a different story.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1