Info for anyone applying to renew UK passports

shaunfreo

When you apply now to renew a UK passport,  if you are a duel national with a current passport from any other country ie Australia you have to send that passport with your  expiring one to the passport office , apparently it’s a new thing to check that you have the same name on the UK passport to any other passport you have. And they don’t accept photocopies or even scanned colour copies.

They always asked for it but accepted certified copies. I don’t fancy putting mine in the post, leaving me without a passport of any kind.  Will check on this as I need to renew my UK one next year.

I just looked and it doesn’t list any documentation just takes you through the on line form.  Can you provide a link to the information about including a foreign passport please.

Edited by rammygirl

OK so I just did a dummy application and these are the instructions. Clearly says you need to send a colour copy of any foreign passport of every page.  Not even a certified one and not the actual passport.  Not sure where you got that information from. Looks like all I need to send is the old UK passport and the declaration form.

3A2B82C0-0694-435B-A15D-2D50C0E9CFEA.thumb.jpeg.1487326b7f7408705946dbf4e6c029c0.jpeg

8 hours ago, rammygirl said:

OK so I just did a dummy application and these are the instructions. Clearly says you need to send a colour copy of any foreign passport of every page.  Not even a certified one and not the actual passport.  Not sure where you got that information from. Looks like all I need to send is the old UK passport and the declaration form.

3A2B82C0-0694-435B-A15D-2D50C0E9CFEA.thumb.jpeg.1487326b7f7408705946dbf4e6c029c0.jpeg

I've never noticed that before? Is it new?

13 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I am applying while in UK that same. Screen came up but it said send passport rang the helpline and they confirmed 

perhaps it’s different rule if applying while in UK if applying from Australia they must accept colour copies 

2 hours ago, shaunfreo said:

I am applying while in UK that same. Screen came up but it said send passport rang the helpline and they confirmed 

perhaps it’s different rule if applying while in UK if applying from Australia they must accept colour copies 

Ah, that's why then. Your initial post inferred you were in Australia, as it was posted under Aussie Chat. Anyone reading your post would presume you were in Australia.

23 hours ago, shaunfreo said:

When you apply now to renew a UK passport,  if you are a duel national with a current passport from any other country ie Australia you have to send that passport with your  expiring one to the passport office , apparently it’s a new thing to check that you have the same name on the UK passport to any other passport you have. And they don’t accept photocopies or even scanned colour copies.

I have never divulged details of dual-citizenship on any form I've ever completed, whether in Australia, the UK, or anywhere else for that matter, and I don't believe I am breaking any law in doing so. Why should one country have the right to know if I am a citizen of another? These questions never existed until a few years ago, and in my opinion it's just an extension of the SnO0pers' ch4rter they are so big on in the UK these days - it's an invasion of our privacy and human rights. I'm not telling you how to fill in the form, but I renewed my UK passport last year from Australia without any issues.

I post on PIO quite regularly, but in this case my name has been changed to protect the innocent! 🧚‍♀️

• Like 1

On 01/11/2019 at 17:39, shaunfreo said:

...apparently it’s a new thing to check that you have the same name on the UK passport to any other passport you have. And they don’t accept photocopies or even scanned colour copies.

This is a perfect example of the lies they tell you. If they just wanted to check your name, a photocopy would be fine - wouldn't it?

I renewed my British passport a few years ago and also thought that their requirement to provide photocopies of EVERY page of my Oz passport was taking things a little too far. Apart from the inconvenience of having to scan/photocopy loads of blank pages, it would have increased the cost of posting the paperwork to the UK as it would have been a giant wodge of paper winging its way across the world for no real good reason. How would the UK Passport Office know whether I had a current Australian passport, anyway, unless I told them?

I ignored their request and received my new British passport with no questions and no problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NickyNook said:

I renewed my British passport a few years ago and also thought that their requirement to provide photocopies of EVERY page of my Oz passport was taking things a little too far. Apart from the inconvenience of having to scan/photocopy loads of blank pages, it would have increased the cost of posting the paperwork to the UK as it would have been a giant wodge of paper winging its way across the world for no real good reason. How would the UK Passport Office know whether I had a current Australian passport, anyway, unless I told them?

I ignored their request and received my new British passport with no questions and no problems.

Yup, renewed ours in 2018 and did the same thing - said I had an Australian passport but needed it for travel and the new UK one arrived within the week

• Like 1

I assumed the reason they want to see other passports and all pages is to check what countries you have visited.

In this age of terrorism I think they want to check whether any stamps for undesirable countries eg Syria, Yemen Iraq, Turkey. Maybe anywhere they think people go to meet ISIS bad guys.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2019 at 04:41, Jameo said:

I have never divulged details of dual-citizenship on any form I've ever completed, whether in Australia, the UK, or anywhere else for that matter, and I don't believe I am breaking any law in doing so. Why should one country have the right to know if I am a citizen of another? These questions never existed until a few years ago, and in my opinion it's just an extension of the SnO0pers' ch4rter they are so big on in the UK these days - i

Try getting a VISA to China.....your one passport might be clean but your other one might be hiding a lot.  It's a right PITA.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/11/2019 at 03:39, shaunfreo said:

Not so just renewed our British Passports online  and never had to do that.