Get on that plane!

Lisa 1972

Reclaim your life and live the dream! The Gold Coast is absolute heaven! So how do you survive? If you have a job lined up congratulations, if not then listen up... the Gold Coast is a tourism based, be well aware but as all things in life, it's the compromise, I guess the most important question is why are you coming to Australia? Do you want a career change or do you simply want to change your life and jump into life? It's very important to understand the difference. Please however don't think that you need a job to take that leap of faith. I would suggest taking at least three months budgeting wise to find your path, the great news is you essentially you lay on golden beaches, learn how to surf, treak through mountains, dine out, meet people from all over the world etc, so when you come understand that you are coming to a beautiful island and the truth is most come to give it a shot and find paradise, do the same. Be brave, never lose your sense of adventure and if you're reading this, the momentum has already begun, you will never regret taking this chance, you will eternally regret the fact you didn't even give it a shot, the old adage is true... a life lived in fear... is a life half lived. Be brave. 

It sounds like you're loving Australia, I'm glad for you.     But the reality is that many, many people DO regret taking the chance - they come to Australia, thinking golden beaches and sun are more important than family and friends, and soon discover they're wrong.

Everyone is different.   I'm an independent type and never felt homesick from the day I arrived in Australia.  I've never been bothered by being thousands of miles from my family.  But having spent a few years on these forums, I think I'm actually in the minority.  

Being brave is good advice for those who are single or couples with no kids.  But for a family, it's a very expensive exercise.  If it doesn't work out, they'll end up back in the UK tens of thousands of pounds poorer.  That's a lot of money to spend on an adventure!  

Not saying people shouldn't do it.  Just that it's not as simple as all that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

I thought it sounded like an advert for the Gold Coast. Bit like that poster who was always promoting the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. 

Bingo!  My immediate thought too.  Just waiting for the follow up.  😉   And if the Gold Coast is "absolute heaven" I'm very happy that I'm most unlikely to go there (heaven, that is).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Chortlepuss said:

Golly! I think I’m in the minority when I say the Gold Coast beaches are not for me - Caloundra, Currumundi, Noosa, fabulous. Gold Coast hinterland is lovely I think. But much better beach experiences to be had!

There are better beaches pretty much anywhere along the coast. It used to be a joke when people said they were going to live on the GC almost as if why would anyone with an once of sense actually want to live there? Obviously people do live there and seem quite happy but, personally, nah! 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, BobHatton said:

Gold Coast is OK if you have tattoos, wear fake tan and regularly pump your body full of steroids.

Apart from that, it's not the best or safest place in the World to reside in.

The Gold Coast is a big place Bob, this maybe correct for some inner city areas,Southport, Nerang, Ashmore, Coomera etc  spring to mind but certainly not for the whole or even majority of the coast. There are some beautiful little suburbs and areas there .

Cal x

• Like 1