Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

5 hours ago, Canda said:

Hello everyone, newbie poster here… Just wondering if there are any other CPV143 holders due to fly into Melbourne in the next couple of months that have any updated information on flight cancellations/changes? We are due to fly into Melbourne, mid-April and just don't know whether to wait to see if the airport reopens by then or to change our flights to another airport. Any advice or shared knowledge welcome, as it is so difficult to find out anything.

Hi Canda.  Yes, we're due to fly to Melbourne at the end of April and are totally in limbo as to deciding what to do.  The State Premier is refusing to give any clue as to when the border will re-open and is obviously in no hurry at all.  Presumably the flights won't get cancelled till the last minute and then it will cost a massive amount to get another flight at short notice but I assume you, like us, won't want to delay your flight any longer than absolutely necessary.  It's very stressful at the moment - our stuff gets shipped on Wednesday and we have to be out of our house the following Monday so no home and no belongings and potentially no flight!  I'll be interested to know what you decide to do and how long you are prepared to wait before doing something/anything.  Good luck!

12 minutes ago, BargeUK said:

Hi Canda.  Yes, we're due to fly to Melbourne at the end of April and are totally in limbo as to deciding what to do.  The State Premier is refusing to give any clue as to when the border will re-open and is obviously in no hurry at all.  Presumably the flights won't get cancelled till the last minute and then it will cost a massive amount to get another flight at short notice but I assume you, like us, won't want to delay your flight any longer than absolutely necessary.  It's very stressful at the moment - our stuff gets shipped on Wednesday and we have to be out of our house the following Monday so no home and no belongings and potentially no flight!  I'll be interested to know what you decide to do and how long you are prepared to wait before doing something/anything.  Good luck!

On a  Facebook group, I’ve seen people who were due to fly to Melbourne being moved by their airline to Brisbane or Sydney. What has your travel agent or airline said? They must know what’s happening with other passengers due to fly to Melbourne in the next few weeks. 
I’m so sorry that your having this extra hassle, so stressful 😢

2 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

On a  Facebook group, I’ve seen people who were due to fly to Melbourne being moved by their airline to Brisbane or Sydney. What has your travel agent or airline said? They must know what’s happening with other passengers due to fly to Melbourne in the next few weeks. 
I’m so sorry that your having this extra hassle, so stressful 😢

Thank you.  I think the travel agent is just waiting to see what happens at the moment.  At present the flight is still booked and we're still on it so presumably the airline is no wiser than us just now.  We haven't heard anything directly from the airline but if they are moving people to other flights to alternative destinations that would be brilliant and a massive relief.  Our son has already said he will drive to Sydney or Adelaide to collect us after our quarantine if necessary.  Haha!  Maybe we can get on the ship along with our belongings....  When are you flying out?  I seem to remember that you are in the UK but I might have got that wrong - apologies if so

9 hours ago, Canda said:

Hello everyone, newbie poster here… Just wondering if there are any other CPV143 holders due to fly into Melbourne in the next couple of months that have any updated information on flight cancellations/changes? We are due to fly into Melbourne, mid-April and just don't know whether to wait to see if the airport reopens by then or to change our flights to another airport. Any advice or shared knowledge welcome, as it is so difficult to find out anything.

I have been closely following the situation in Melbourne, in hope that we may be able to travel ourselves this year. I watched Dan Andrews on Sky News yesterday, saying he has no plans to re-start international flights.

In my opinion the Victorian premier is pedalling fear to further his political agendas. He has cultivated strong (cult like) support from many terrified people in Melbourne and his popularity increases with each border closure and lockdown. He has just extended his emergency powers until December, which I believe makes planning to fly directly in to Melbourne unpredictable this year.

In contrast, NSW is taking a far more sensible (and more typically Australian) approach to international arrivals and quarantine. So this would be my choice when booking a flight into Australia. I guess Melbourne will re-open at some stage, but I if there is a chance to re-book from a MEL to a SYD flight, I would jump at the chance and not wait.

9 hours ago, BargeUK said:

Thank you.  I think the travel agent is just waiting to see what happens at the moment.  At present the flight is still booked and we're still on it so presumably the airline is no wiser than us just now.  We haven't heard anything directly from the airline but if they are moving people to other flights to alternative destinations that would be brilliant and a massive relief.  Our son has already said he will drive to Sydney or Adelaide to collect us after our quarantine if necessary.  Haha!  Maybe we can get on the ship along with our belongings....  When are you flying out?  I seem to remember that you are in the UK but I might have got that wrong - apologies if so

I’ve just seen this on FB from the Australian high commission, read the sixth para, could be promising for flights to Melbourne. I’d hang on if I was you. 

Also good news for us as caps into Perth are increasing again and that’s where we are heading. Our flight is booked for the 30th of March. Yes we are in the UK, living in a holiday cottage as our house sale went through super quick ( unfortunately) house stuff shipped, living out of suitcases but very excited that we are within touching distance 

Have you thought about registering for the repatriation flights? 

13ED6C8B-808F-44B8-9401-77932A6141AD.png

Edited by Lady Jane
Add
  • Like 3

From the Guardian this morning :-

But there is no immediate relief for Australians stranded overseas, with flight arrival caps remaining at their current levels for the time being, and with Morrison saying the national cabinet was “unanimous” on the need for the international border to stay closed until at least June.

The prime minister called on the Victorian government to resume accepting international flights, arguing that more than 10,000 Victorians were on the list of Australians who wished to return from abroad and he was “sure they would welcome their home state receiving those flights as soon as possible”.

Wonder if returning stranded Australians might have first dibs on any flights available possibly? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

I’ve just seen this on FB from the Australian high commission, read the sixth para, could be promising for flights to Melbourne. I’d hang on if I was you. 

Also good news for us as caps into Perth are increasing again and that’s where we are heading. Our flight is booked for the 30th of March. Yes we are in the UK, living in a holiday cottage as our house sale went through super quick ( unfortunately) house stuff shipped, living out of suitcases but very excited that we are within touching distance 

Have you thought about registering for the repatriation flights? 

I think the repatriation flights are for returning Australians but I may be wrong on that.  My son messaged this morning to say that other states are putting pressure on Dan Andrews to do his bit and allow people in and he has said he wants to make sure all his quarantine workers are vaccinated first which should take about another week so there is hope of an announcement soon.  The only thing with making an announcement is last time he announced an opening it was in October and he didn't open the border till December!

I agree with you SusieRoo - it has all become a bit political - State governments versus Federal Government.  You are right about the 'fear factor' too - most Australians aren't waiting for someone to come home and most have no intention of travelling anywhere so most are happy for the borders to stay closed.  Those of us who want to go there and those of us whose families are waiting for us are in the minority at the moment.  On the plus side, my travel agent has managed to reserve a flight to Sydney which she can hold for a little while in the hope that we will know either way in the near future.  Good luck to both of you and I hope we all make it safely there in the near future

• Like 3

BargeUK and Lady Jane, thanks for your responses… and wow so strange we're in the same position, we're currently in a holiday let and our furniture has just been shipped. We'll probably wait another couple of weeks to see what happens with Melbourne with fingers-crossed for a reopening of flights. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Canda said:

BargeUK and Lady Jane, thanks for your responses… and wow so strange we're in the same position, we're currently in a holiday let and our furniture has just been shipped. We'll probably wait another couple of weeks to see what happens with Melbourne with fingers-crossed for a reopening of flights. 

There's a new form to fill in before we leave the UK now.  I can't see a specific 'emigration' reason for leaving but it does include anything to do with buying or selling property so maybe we come under that category.  Here's hoping....

16 hours ago, BargeUK said:

There's a new form to fill in before we leave the UK now.  I can't see a specific 'emigration' reason for leaving but it does include anything to do with buying or selling property so maybe we come under that category.  Here's hoping....

Yes, my husband saw that on the news last night. I’m sure immigration will be a valid reason, we are homeless! And it says that they are just doing spot checks, I believe.  
they are just trying to stop people taking holidays. I’ll let you know on here what happens when we go at the end of March 

37 minutes ago, Lady Jane said:

Yes, my husband saw that on the news last night. I’m sure immigration will be a valid reason, we are homeless! And it says that they are just doing spot checks, I believe.  
they are just trying to stop people taking holidays. I’ll let you know on here what happens when we go at the end of March 

When I spoke with an agent for travel insurance, they confirmed emigration was a valid reason to travel so we should all be okay 👍... We also have a bit of a dilemma regarding vaccines, we have just been invited to book our first jab but won’t be here (hopefully) for the second, anyone else in the same position and if so what do we do?

26 minutes ago, Canda said:

When I spoke with an agent for travel insurance, they confirmed emigration was a valid reason to travel so we should all be okay 👍... We also have a bit of a dilemma regarding vaccines, we have just been invited to book our first jab but won’t be here (hopefully) for the second, anyone else in the same position and if so what do we do?

We are having our first vaccine mid March. One dose gives you a good level of protection. Although we had to book our 2nd at the same time, I’ll just cancel them after we’ve had the first. 

Edited by Lady Jane
Add

4 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

We are having our first vaccine mid March. One dose gives you a good level of protection. Although we had to book our 2nd at the same time, I’ll just cancel them after we’ve had the first. 

5 hours ago, Canda said:

We've both had our first - my husband had his at the end of January as he's a bit older so his 2nd one is due a week or so before we go.  My 2nd one is due about a week after we go so I'm hoping I might be able to swap with someone to get it just before otherwise my 12 weeks will be up while we're still in quarantine!  Some protection is definitely better than none though and they both seem pretty effective after just one dose so, Canda, I would book them both anyway and then cancel if/when you know you're definitely not going to be here

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

Yes, please do.  There are so many forms to complete and tests etc it's going to be a bit of a logistical nightmare getting everything done at the right time in the right order

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

Looks promising!  Not sure I like the sound of reducing caps and compassionate grounds only though but something is better than nothing!  We'll probably find out one way or the other this next week now the press has got wind of it

Are there anymore pre may 16 offshore applicants awaiting visa? Saw june 16 applicant get their visa. And when we email department the reply is they cant do much as they process according to strict date criteria. We are march 2016. 

45 minutes ago, 143mag said:

Are there anymore pre may 16 offshore applicants awaiting visa? Saw june 16 applicant get their visa. And when we email department the reply is they cant do much as they process according to strict date criteria. We are march 2016. 

Is it possible that the June 16 applicants are currently onshore? 

26 minutes ago, Gadgetfreak28 said:

Is it possible that the June 16 applicants are currently onshore? 

This applicant was offshore. But requested 2nd vac in January and received visa this week apparently. Department says its strict date order. Not sure how this date order works where june comes before march. 😞

2 minutes ago, 143mag said:

This applicant was offshore. But requested 2nd vac in January and received visa this week apparently. Department says its strict date order. Not sure how this date order works where june comes before march. 😞

That's not fair at all. Hopefully things start to move in the right direction from here on. Fingers crossed. 

• Congratulations 1

On 06/03/2021 at 12:35, Lady Jane said:

Have you completed your Australia Travel Declaration yet or does it have to be nearer the time?

11 hours ago, BargeUK said:

Have you completed your Australia Travel Declaration yet or does it have to be nearer the time?

No not yet, I believe it needs to be nearer the time, if you do it too early they ask you to do it again or reconfirm everything as it has Covid related questions in it. It just says complete at least 72 hours before travel.