Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

It would be worth the 5yr one and at leastย you can then do another 5 - dreadful thought I know โ˜น๏ธ Good luckย 

Itโ€™s the thought of trying to find somewhere to go for the three months out of Australia between 870s that could be the problem for some people. ย Especially if theyโ€™ve sold their home etc.ย 
Also the new queuing process for post 1July 2018ย ย applications is only going to add to the wait.ย 

Edited by LindaH27

2 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Itโ€™s the thought of trying to find somewhere to go for the three months out of Australia between 870s that could be the problem for some people. ย Especially if theyโ€™ve sold their home etc.ย 
Also the new queuing process for post 1July 2018ย ย applications is only going to add to the wait.ย 

Hopefully they will have relatives abroad. NZ for 3 months wouldntย be too bad itโ€™s just the cost, as with everything else to do with this visa. ๐Ÿ˜

2 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Hopefully they will have relatives abroad. NZ for 3 months wouldntย be too bad itโ€™s just the cost, as with everything else to do with this visa. ๐Ÿ˜

Yes there are options butย ย I forย one wouldn'tย like to be alone in NZ for three months - Iโ€™m not that confident sadly!ย 

27 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes there are options butย ย I forย one wouldn'tย like to be alone in NZ for three months - Iโ€™m not that confident sadly!ย 

Hopefully that wouldn't apply to you - surely your visa will have been processed in the next 5 years. You would already have been waiting the best part of 9 years by the time a 5 year 870 runs out if you had it granted early next year

2 minutes ago, BargeUK said:

Hopefully that wouldn't apply to you - surely your visa will have been processed in the next 5 years. You would already have been waiting the best part of 9 years by the time a 5 year 870 runs out if you had it granted early next year

Yes my daughter andย ย I are already discussing this and other options.ย 

I was thinking ofย others withย later applications who are alone andย already stretched by the costs of the 143ย visa who wonโ€™t be able to go for 870 plus costs flying in and out and renting a property for that 3 months gap.ย 

2 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

The gap will be more than 3 months. You can only apply after the lapse of 3 months, so add the 870 processing time to it for both sponsor and applicant. 1 year easy. And it''ll be extremely difficult for parents to adjust and readjust to these changing circumstances all the time.

Edited by Arti
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Arti said:

Just need to rant. Excerpt from the immigration website -

However, based on current planning levels, we estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at leastย 58ย months to be released for final processing.

Unquote

We are talking about parents here who aren't getting any younger unfortunately and these guys can't get their math right. They might as well just remove this statement altogether. No information is better than wrong information.

I totally agree that no information is better than the wrong information. If they put the correct information on then parents could make an informed decision beforeย applying.ย 
I know Iโ€™m one of the lucky ones but when I applied it said 18 to 24 months. We thought ok if it takes 2 years then another 6 months to move over thatโ€™s just about right for us. It took more than double that length of time, itโ€™s so unfair on new applicants who put their application in now. ๐Ÿ˜ข

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

I totally agree that no information is better than the wrong information. If they put the correct information on then parents could make an informed decision beforeย applying.ย 
I know Iโ€™m one of the lucky ones but when I applied it said 18 to 24 months. We thought ok if it takes 2 years then another 6 months to move over thatโ€™s just about right for us. It took more than double that length of time, itโ€™s so unfair on new applicants who put their application in now. ๐Ÿ˜ข

And then there are people who say that their migration agents have also quoted them the visa will be granted in 58 months as that's what is mentioned on the gov website. Again wrong information from a so called professional. I really feel for them as either they don't want to do their own research/have the resources to do so unfortunately or are clearly misled by someone with the wrong info.ย ย 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Arti said:

The gap will be more than 3 months. You can only apply after the lapse of 3 months, so add the 870 processing time to it for both sponsor and applicant. 1 year easy. And it''ll be extremely difficult for parents to adjust and readjust to these changing circumstances all the time.

I didn't think you could get the 870 if waiting for the 143?ย 

3 hours ago, Ollie1234 said:

I didn't think you could get the 870 if waiting for the 143?ย 

Yes you can - butย you canโ€™t do it the other way round! So if youโ€™ve already applied ย forย 143 youโ€™re fine to apply for 870. It was actuallyย  introduced to help with the fact that the parent queue was getting longer and longer.ย 

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes you can - butย you canโ€™t do it the other way round! So if youโ€™ve already applied ย forย 143 youโ€™re fine to apply for 870. It was actuallyย  introduced to help with the fact that the parent queue was getting longer and longer.ย 

Wow. So as a couple you get to pay $100k for a visa and another $40k while you wait for it. It just seems to get better and better. Wondering if it's better to just scrap the 143 offshore and apply for it onshore (when that's possible). Or even apply for the 804 while here.ย 

ย 

Edited by Ollie1234
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Ollie1234 said:

Wow. So as a couple you get to pay $100k for a visa and another $40k while you wait for it. It just seems to get better and better.ย 

Applications after 1ย July 2018 will now take a lot longer so afterย 5 years youโ€™d have to pay to fly out, pay for somewhereย to live (if youโ€™ve sold your home) wait for 3 months, start application again and wait for it to be granted - notย sure whether you would also have to do the sponsor application again as well - then pay to fly back in again. Then if you still havenโ€™t got your 143 after10 years (quite likely for later applications) you would be back to applyingย ย for tourist visit visas again as thereโ€™s a maximum of 10 years stay for 870. ย 

• Sad 1

On 07/12/2020 at 09:14, Arti said:

Yep - I'm in the process of applying for it..

143 and 870 Visas:

We are also applying for anย 870. Our 143 was lodged 31st October 2016. We hope to get away with a 3year 870 but are worried it wonโ€™t be long enough. Opinions please?

ย 

ย 

Edited by Juniper
To make clearer

3 hours ago, Juniper said:

143 and 870 Visas:

We are also applying for anย 870. Our 143 was lodged 31st October 2016. We hope to get away with a 3year 870 but are worried it wonโ€™t be long enough. Opinions please?

ย 

ย 

You'd certainly like to think that 3 years would be long enough as there are only 5 months worth of applications to process before yours.ย  I suppose it depends how long it is before they start requesting documents again and how many of this year's allocation have already been issued.ย  Fingers crossed for you that it's not too much longer!

5 hours ago, Juniper said:

143 and 870 Visas:

ย 

ย 

I may be wrong but Iโ€™ve seen somewhereย that although you can apply for the 870, they are not issuing them until the international borders open. So timings will dependย ย on when they open, as it could be another 6 months to a year before that happens. I would hope that a 3 year visa would be enough but who knows? ย Good luck.ย 

20 hours ago, Juniper said:

143 and 870 Visas:

ย 

ย 

3 years should def be enough in your case

1 hour ago, Marg said:

Yes, hope heโ€™s successful, cannot see a downside for the government.

I think it will all depend on what is in the legislation.ย  ย Parents are not classed as "immediate family" and there is no way the government will agree to change that definition. If they did, then parents would be eligible to be included as part of the family when someone applies for a skilled visa, and that would cost the taxpayer an absolute fortune.ย ย 

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think it will all depend on what is in the legislation.ย  ย Parents are not classed as "immediate family" and there is no way the government will agree to change that definition. If they did, then parents would be eligible to be included as part of the family when someone applies for a skilled visa, and that would cost the taxpayer an absolute fortune.ย ย 

They are not changing the legislation. The proposed approach is to have an interim regulation which waives the requirement to be offshore for a number of visa pathways, currently only those for immediate family members. Any such regulation could be easily worded to also include parent visa pathways.

I think the success will depend on how much noise is made and how many families are willing to come forward and provide testimony to theย  media.ย 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KittyMB said:

They are not changing the legislation. The proposed approach is to have an interim regulation which waives the requirement to be offshore for a number of visa pathways, currently only those for immediate family members. ย 

The question is, what can that regulation do?ย  Does it still need to operate within the definitions of the legislation or can it do anything it likes?ย  ย I don't know the answer to that.ย ย