Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

On 25/12/2020 at 13:38, amahmood said:

Hi All, 

We applied for our parents in September 2016 (subclass 143) and from what i read, we may need to wait another couple of years? Couple of questions please: 

1. We also applied for long stay visit visa in March 2020 (just pre-COVID) and still have not heard anything. Is this something we should be hopeful about. 
  2. Can we apply for subclass 870? I understand from the home affairs website that you cannot apply permanent visa while holding subclass 870. Would this be an issue if we have already applied for the permanent? 

I did go through previous discussions so I apologize if my questions have already been discussed. Both parents are approaching 70s and living alone while we are all here in Australia. We are deeply concerned of their wellbeing so I would highly appreciate any guidance.

Applied 143 13/09/2016

I don't know about the first point, but from my understanding, once the 143 application is in, you can apply for the 870 to stay here while you wait.

I'm in the same boat but only applied for 143 for my parents in May this year. The UK is out of control and whilst I'm glad they have finally locked down, I'm worried about how people will cope at this time of year. The gov has said everyone over 70 will be vaccinated by mid-Feb. Fingers crossed. Best of luck to you and your parents - so close! 

Edited by Ollie1234

On 10/12/2020 at 11:52, MELBNGSM said:

@Kathss56 did you get an email from MP Julian Hill askig you to fill out some Q&A?

I emailed too and got a response. He seems only keen to help his own constituents regarding the requirement to leave Australia for visa to be granted. No comment regarding the false info on the gov website or long-term issue on 143 queues. 

Hi all just giving an update that we received 2nd VAC request FINALLY yesterday. Words can't express the feeling of relief and happiness. 

As soon as Visa is granted I'll do another update. The next chapter to start now, thinking about the move during this pandemic, with flights from Brazil all going via US right now with a minimum 55hr journey. Hopefully vaccine will be available soon and things get bit better this year. Thanks to all of you who contribute to this forum. It has been an amazing support.

• Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 11

9 hours ago, SilMurtagh said:

Hi all just giving an update that we received 2nd VAC request FINALLY yesterday. Words can't express the feeling of relief and happiness. 

As soon as Visa is granted I'll do another update. The next chapter to start now, thinking about the move during this pandemic, with flights from Brazil all going via US right now with a minimum 55hr journey. Hopefully vaccine will be available soon and things get bit better this year. Thanks to all of you who contribute to this forum. It has been an amazing support.

Congrats Mate!

R you Brazuca (Brazilian)? Good to know.

My wife and I waiting on the queue... it’s moving!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TADec16 said:

Congrats Mate!

R you Brazuca (Brazilian)? Good to know.

My wife and I waiting on the queue... it’s moving!

Yes I am! And both my parents are in São Paulo. Patience and your turn will come!! Best of luck and if you need any information, feel free to message me 😃

On 05/01/2021 at 13:59, SilMurtagh said:

Congratulations. Also eagerly waiting for Second VAC. 

On 17/12/2020 at 14:32, KittyMB said:

Hi All, 

We were one of the ones who got told to head offshore to be granted visa, no other way about it. 

My parents left Melbourne to Singapore as transit passengers, they are now in Quarantine in Perth. They were granted the visa after 10 mins having gotten across departures

If you're in the same boat and have any questions, please by all means send me a message. Lucky for us, after nearly 5 years, we're done. 

Best of luck to you all

It look’s like we are going  to have to do the same thing as Transit Passenger’s from Brisbane. Were your Parents able to get any Travel Insurance to cover them, as we can’t find any that will cover us. 

@TresOz  We purchased tickets through expedia and I vaguely recall seeing travel insurance being offered, I think it was also offered when I was trying to book through Singapore Airlines website. 

The issue is No travel insurance will cover you for COVID-19 related, whether illness, cancellations, etc, as they're all specifically stating that it is an excluded event. You're looking at travel insurance as a precaution, say for example if someone were to make the trip and unexpectedly pass away from a heart attack on the plane (touch on wood). 

Feel free to PM me if you need any additional guidance, there is a flight coming back on the same night of the day they arrive over there, where possible, try to take that one, they don't need to be out of the country any extra time as they'll already have the visa as soon as they're across immigration. 

If you're still in talks with WA Parent Centre, can I suggest you ask them if they could do the same via NZ? It'll save you the quarantine, ours happened too fast to explore that option but I don't see why you couldn't do the same, Fly out of Brisbane to Auckland and then back to Melbourne/Sydney - you could then fly straight up to Brisbane without having to quarantine. I guess the benefit of Singapore is that is a tried and tested process that many of us have gone through. 

Also, if I can give you any advice at all, is to stick to your guns and ask for a contact number for the WA parent Centre, in case you have issues at the Airport. My experience is that initially they told me 'no number, there are protocols in place to make it all happen, don't worry', eventually I got a phone number and we needed it, as soon as we got to Airport, airline said they didn't know anything about it and to go away.   

HI all

We fly to Australia on  143 visa on the 16.1.21. i have cecked and double checked that we do not need a negative corona test to fly to Doha and then onto Brisbane to carry out our 14 days quarantine. Can anyone that has maybe travelled in the last few days just clarify this please.

1 hour ago, kimboslice said:

HI all

We fly to Australia on  143 visa on the 16.1.21. i have cecked and double checked that we do not need a negative corona test to fly to Doha and then onto Brisbane to carry out our 14 days quarantine. Can anyone that has maybe travelled in the last few days just clarify this please.

If you’re flying with Qatar they require a negative covid test from certain countries

F6DA0DD3-73CE-430C-A766-FA379D046DC4.thumb.png.04418662d6d0951ef27903d6702c06c7.png

2 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

If you’re flying with Qatar they require a negative covid test from certain countries

F6DA0DD3-73CE-430C-A766-FA379D046DC4.thumb.png.04418662d6d0951ef27903d6702c06c7.png

Thanks for that.

I have checked there website and dont think we need one from heathrow into doha and from doha into brisbane the way i understand it.

Just wondered if anyone had flew in the last few das just to confirm this.

2 hours ago, kimboslice said:

Thanks for that.

I have checked there website and dont think we need one from heathrow into doha and from doha into brisbane the way i understand it.

Just wondered if anyone had flew in the last few das just to confirm this.

As UK is in full lockdown are you actually allowed to leave home ? I’ve actually no idea,  just just wondered whether it was possible,  as Ive heard of people who have had flights cancelled to other countries 

2 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

As UK is in full lockdown are you actually allowed to leave home ? I’ve actually no idea,  just just wondered whether it was possible,  as Ive heard of people who have had flights cancelled to other countries 

If your selling, moving etc then its permitted. Also you can travel internationally if it’s essential and I would deem emigrating essential if you’ve sold up.  The only thing it specifically does not permit is going on holiday 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lady Jane said:

If your selling, moving etc then its permitted. Also you can travel internationally if it’s essential and I would deem emigrating essential if you’ve sold up.  The only thing it specifically does not permit is going on holiday 

Thank you! 
There is  something else  to be aware of. Australia govt is having a  meeting on Friday to discuss immigration especially regarding the new very contagious UK strain of Covid ! 

This may  /may not affect flights from UK. We will have to wait and see. Lots of other countries banning flights from UK 😩

FC98B50B-A0F3-42B8-8321-50F921B56042.png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Thank you! 
There is  something else  to be aware of. Australia govt is having a  meeting on Friday to discuss immigration especially regarding the new very contagious UK strain of Covid ! 

This may  /may not affect flights from UK. We will have to wait and see. Lots of other countries banning flights from UK 😩

FC98B50B-A0F3-42B8-8321-50F921B56042.png

Hi Linda, I would of thought that 14 days  quarantine was more than enough, regardless of the strain. Let’s hope they just add that you have to have a negative test before travel. 
I'm praying that our government come good with the vaccine promises made today. 

18 minutes ago, Lady Jane said:

Hi Linda, I would of thought that 14 days  quarantine was more than enough, regardless of the strain. Let’s hope they just add that you have to have a negative test before travel. 
I'm praying that our government come good with the vaccine promises made today. 

Me too!! I wonder whether they will say you have to have had the vaccine.as well? 
Fingers  crossed the rollout steps up. 

3 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Thank you! 

Other countries are banning flights from the UK because they have no facilities to quarantine visitors on arrival, and don't have time to set them up.  Australia already has quarantine in place so it's not the same.  

1 minute ago, LindaH27 said:

I believe a cleaner at a quarantine hotel has  been diagnosed with UK Covid strain in Brisbane leading to aged care facilities  being put  in lockdown 

You're right.  It looks as though she was out in the community for 4 or 5 days before being diagnosed, so it's a worry.  

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You're right.  It looks as though she was out in the community for 4 or 5 days before being diagnosed, so it's a worry.  

Also a woman from UK In Western Australia with UK strain who possibly infected paramedic and two others ? Australia has previously been very quick to close borders unlike other countries - maybe they will ban UK flights ?? It’s certainly laying waste to the UK at present as it’s extremely virulent. It’s estimated 1 in 50 In UK has it! 

Edited by LindaH27

A few minute ago

Australia chief medical officer Prof Paul Kelly was asked if he believed flights from the UK to Australia should be stopped. The AHPPC provided national cabinet with advice on that question, which will be discussed at today’s meeting. Kelly said:

Obviously the national cabinet is brought together for a reason... they are the decision making body, our role at the AHPPC, the medical expert panel that I chair, is to give advise to them, ultimately they’re the decision makers and those decisions will be talked about at the usual press conference after national cabinet and not beforehand.

13 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Also a woman from UK In Western Australia with UK strain who possibly infected paramedic and two others ? Australia has previously been very quick to close borders unlike other countries - maybe they will ban UK flights ?? It’s certainly laying waste to the UK at present as it’s extremely virulent. It’s estimated 1 in 50 In UK has it! 

Remember, our borders are already closed to all but essential travellers and citizens/residents.  Other countries have closed their borders to UK flights but they still have an exemption system too, so it's hard to see what else Australia would do.

The national cabinet is discussing measures like remote quarantine facilties (like the NT) instead of inner-city ones, extra safety measures on flights and in the airports, quarantine requirements for air crew.