Do experienced teachers need to complete Ilets?

Hi,

I can’t seem to get a straight answer so wondering if anyone can help? My husband is a teacher with 15+ years experience and a masters. Does he need to complete a IElTS for the skilled visa 189? Obviously happy to do it if needed but could save money if he doesn’t.

Many thanks

marianne

It would depend on things such as where he studied. 

However, as Ali says, most people do it regardless as visas are competitive based on points. The more points the better. For example, the minimum requirement for a 189 visa is technically 65. But, at he moment, nobody with less than 80 is being invited (that will reduce somewhat next month)

3 hours ago, wrussell said:

The amount of money saved (not spent) would be a trifling addition to your overall budget.

Good point I think my test was £145, in the scheme of £3500 (visas for family) £1500 (medicals and police checks) £4000 flights, £3000 shipping, £4000 first month living (with more set aside) £7000 UK estate agent fees and a migration agent the £145 for the language test was chicken feed

13 hours ago, Marianne said:

Hi,

I can’t seem to get a straight answer so wondering if anyone can help? My husband is a teacher with 15+ years experience and a masters. Does he need to complete a IElTS for the skilled visa 189? Obviously happy to do it if needed but could save money if he doesn’t.

Many thanks

marianne

Best to get as many points as possible before you lodge your EOI. As Verystormy pointed out, no invites in a long time for applicants with less than 75/80 points so do the test and get those points. Good luck

On 25/06/2019 at 06:07, Marianne said:

Hi,

I can’t seem to get a straight answer so wondering if anyone can help? My husband is a teacher with 15+ years experience and a masters. Does he need to complete a IElTS for the skilled visa 189?

I would say yes.   We talk about a "queue" for the visa, but it's not really a queue, it's a competition.  The people with the most points get priority.    So, say you've only got 70 points and people are applying every day with 75 points, you're never going to get picked because they'll leapfrog you.  Therefore more points is always better.

On 25/06/2019 at 06:07, Marianne said:

Hi,

Many thanks

marianne

Hi Marianne,

In our experience, this is a requirement by AITLS that is the basement authority for the teaching profession. To be assessed as a qualified teacher regardless of the work experience you need to show Superior English skills.

The minimum requirement in Overall 7.5 or superior English language skill.  You can do PTE as well as this is now recognised by AITLS.

Unfortunately no saving money here !

Based on what @Sarz says above, you also need IELTS to satisfy the teaching assessment board that you are able to teach in Australia (which I guess makes sense as you will be teaching a generation of kids and if you aren't much cop at the English language they won't be either)

Some people get hung up on the "but I'm a teacher of course I can speak English" but unfortunately the rules apply to everyone and not all teachers are as good with the English language as others.

I've got a masters in English and I managed to "fail" IELTS the first time, totally aced PTE though

12 hours ago, Sarz said:

Hi Marianne,

In our experience, this is a requirement by AITLS that is the basement authority for the teaching profession. To be assessed as a qualified teacher regardless of the work experience you need to show Superior English skills.

The minimum requirement in Overall 7.5 or superior English language skill.  You can do PTE as well as this is now recognised by AITLS.

Unfortunately no saving money here !

HI can you please tell me where did you find the information that AITSL accepts PTE now? I couldn't verify this anywhere. I am excited now!

From the AITSL website:

Criterion 2. English language proficiency Proficiency in English language demonstrated by ONE of the following: Option 1 Completion of at least four full years of study (or part-time equivalent) in higher education (university) in Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America resulting in qualification/s comparable to the educational level of an Australian Bachelor degree (Australian Qualifications Framework Level 7) or higher. This study must include a recognised initial teacher education qualification. Or Option 2 An Academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Test Report Form (TRF) that shows a score of at least 7.0 for both Reading and Writing; and a score of at least 8.0 for both Speaking and Listening. The IELTS test scores must appear on a single IELTS TRF and be the result of a test undertaken during the 24 month period prior to submitting an application. NOTE: AITSL reserves the right to ask an applicant to undertake the Academic version of the IELTS test if there is uncertainty about their level of English language proficiency

From the same  website:

.Please note: We will only be accepting paper-based applications until 30 April 2019.

What to do with the misplaced modifier?

Perhaps move it here:  We will be accepting paper-based applications only until 30 April 2019

This perhaps secures the opposite of the intended meaning.

or here:  We will be accepting paper-based applications until 30 April 2019 only.

This is not looking much better either.

When in doubt - leave it out:  We will be accepting paper-based applications until 30 April 2019.

Why not write it in English?

After 30 April we will not accept paper applications.

14 hours ago, iline said:

HI can you please tell me where did you find the information that AITSL accepts PTE now? I couldn't verify this anywhere. I am excited now!

Hi iline,

We submitted ILTES for AITLS. 
PTE for Additional points for EOI and were told by the agent this change is coming. Looking o the AITSL website it's still not showing. Apologies for getting your hopes up. 

ILTES it is for now.