Sponsorship advice

james14

Hi all, I am looking to find a job in Australia (Melbourne preferred) via sponsorship.  Reason being my son has speech and language impairment, which may at this point in time, cause an otherwise clean route to PR to be declined.  Sponsorship via a TSS (457 replacement) would allow me to utilise the associated health waiver and tackle the PR route later.  Can I simply ask (putting the speech topic aside) - for those who have landed sponsorship with an employer while being in the UK, could you share any advice on how you found those roles, or what enabled you to be successful?  I'm finding it hard going!  Many thanks in advance

First, you need to understand that medicals still apply.

second, it is much harder now to gain sponsorship as the fees have increased so much and wait times blown out. When I was sponsored it was 5 days. Now over a year isn't unusual. So, employers now don't consider it as much. 

Third, as someone who was sponsored, it is vital you consider it only a temp move that may last only a matter of weeks. We landed and 4 weeks later were told of redundancy. In the years I have waived goodbye to many friends on temp visas. 

Fourth. Migration is as hot a topic (if not hotter) than the UK. You should expect the rules to tighten.

sixth, you need to be very aware of the issues surrounding temp visas. No access to government benefits, limited healthcare, if your employment ends, then end of visa. Potential for large fees for education. Partners finding it hard to get work. 

Hi James.

Try not listen to the negativity, they enjoy making people worry.

We were sponsored from the UK and our visa was approved in 4 days and we were brought over within 4 months. We are on a 4 year TSS Visa with a pathway to PR after 3 years which we will be applying for.  We don't see this as a temporary move.

If you come over with a reputable company who offer a good package you shouldnt have to worry about school fees or medical care as we got all that included.

Good luck and follow your dreams!

Edited by mallan82450

Both posts are valid, but you need to weigh up the pros and cons to your situation. Both highlight the extremes at either end of the situation. 

Yes, arriving on a 457 in the past and gaining PR afew years later was the norm and quite straightforward and for some people that may still be the case with the new TSS visas BUT verystormy makes a good point- there are many issues with being a temporary resident and you need to be aware of them. There have been many people on this forum who planned to gain PR after being on a temporary visa only to find the rules changed: occupations removed, age limits reduced, not to mention issues with their employers and many other reasons that meant they had to return to the UK. 

Dont look at it with rose tinted glasses, be aware of the pitfalls and make an informed choice. It is wise advice to view the move as temporary and an adventure, with the small possibility of being able to attain PR at some point, but to have a contingency plan in the background incase you need to leave and return home. It is true immigration have tightened the pathway from TSS to PR. There’s still a possibility but in no way as straightforward as it used to be. Who knows what will happen in 3 years? Unfortunately there are no guarantees.

Best of luck

• Like 1

11 hours ago, james14 said:

Hi all, I am looking to find a job in Australia (Melbourne preferred) via sponsorship.  Reason being my son has speech and language impairment, which may at this point in time, cause an otherwise clean route to PR to be declined.  Sponsorship via a TSS (457 replacement) would allow me to utilise the associated health waiver and tackle the PR route later.  

Whether you apply for PR now, or apply for PR later via the sponsorship route, your son will have to pass EXACTLY the same medical. 

The health waiver only applies to the temporary visa (which is now a 482 by the way, not a 457).  

6 hours ago, mallan82450 said:

Hi James.

We were sponsored from the UK and our visa was approved in 4 days and we were brought over within 4 months. We are on a 4 year TSS Visa with a pathway to PR after 3 years which we will be applying for.  We don't see this as a temporary move.

Of course you did. With a company that's used to sponsoring for temp visas, for management jobs, it's all smooth sailing and I'd expect your path to have been easy so far.

The reason we warn people about TSS visas is that you cannot know what the rules will be in 3 years' time.   The "pathway" from the TSS to PR is nowhere near as smooth or fast as getting the TSS in the first place.  Just take a look at some of the threads here about the 186 visa, and see the stress and anxiety people are going through.  And those are people who are in the queue waiting for a decision - not the people who found themselves ineligible to apply because their occupation had been removed from the lists during the 3 year wait. 

Provided you're the kind of person who can cope with uncertainty and you've factored the risks into your plans, the TSS can be a great solution, but it's important that newbies are aware of the pitfalls.  In the OP's case, the ONLY reason he's thinking of sponsorship is because he thinks it will allow his son to avoid a medical - which isn't the case.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mallan82450 said:

Hi James.

If you come over with a reputable company who offer a good package you shouldnt have to worry about school fees or medical care as we got all that included.

And if you are made redundant tomorrow? Or, your occupation is removed tomorrow ?- the department removed over 200 occupations in the most recent changes and more big cuts are expected

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Whether you apply for PR now, or apply for PR later via the sponsorship route, your son will have to pass EXACTLY the same medical. 

The health waiver only applies to the temporary visa (which is now a 482 by the way, not a 457).  

The 186/187 visas have a health waiver if the applicant is through the transition stream from a 457/482 visa.

Thanks all for the replies so far, appreciate your time.

Worth mentioning that I'm coming from a well researched position on visas, so yes I'm aware the medicals are identical and simply can't be avoided, also aware on conditions of the health waiver and how they'd be handled (additionally discussed with well known consultants) - and what the pros/cons are on being a temporary visa holder in Australia.  For the benefit of this topic, my son will be privately schooled and all of our assets will remain in the UK in case we decide to return or another event (examples above) occur.  I didnt go into detail on this lot - as it's not really why I posted.

What I really wanted to get some help with is - those who have found an employer to sponsor - what tips/methods worked well for you?  Going through LinkedIn or google isn't showing signs of success - so was hoping some people here might have some advice to share.  Many thanks!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, james14 said:

Thanks all for the replies so far, appreciate your time.

Worth mentioning that I'm coming from a well researched position on visas, so yes I'm aware the medicals are identical and simply can't be avoided, also aware on conditions of the health waiver and how they'd be handled (additionally discussed with well known consultants) - and what the pros/cons are on being a temporary visa holder in Australia.  For the benefit of this topic, my son will be privately schooled and all of our assets will remain in the UK in case we decide to return or another event (examples above) occur.  I didnt go into detail on this lot - as it's not really why I posted.

What I really wanted to get some help with is - those who have found an employer to sponsor - what tips/methods worked well for you?  Going through LinkedIn or google isn't showing signs of success - so was hoping some people here might have some advice to share.  Many thanks!

We were headhunted via LinkedIn and then we researched the team and reached out to the top guy directly to show willing.

6 minutes ago, mallan82450 said:

We were headhunted via LinkedIn and then we researched the team and reached out to the top guy directly to show willing.

Was that with a large company or enterprise?  I had that 6 months ago, but the employer then pulled the role and went silent.

I meant to mention in the first post that I'm in software - to be specific, full stack development and cloud architecture.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, james14 said:

Was that with a large company or enterprise?  I had that 6 months ago, but the employer then pulled the role and went silent.

I meant to mention in the first post that I'm in software - to be specific, full stack development and cloud architecture.  

One of the Big 4 (consultancy not banks), Management Consultant for Operational Risk Strategy & Technology - Basically Australia are going through what the UK did a long time ago in relation to mis-selling financial products among many other things and as a result of the recent Royal Commission they need people like me to help advise on how to make it better. I worked for one of the top banks in the UK in Operational Risk through all of the issues and it's still on-going now. 

I will PM you the name of the people that head hunted me.

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

And those are people who are in the queue waiting for a decision - not the people who found themselves ineligible to apply because their occupation had been removed from the lists during the 3 year wait. 

Can you show me exactly on the home affairs website where it specifically states that to be eligible for PR via the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) Temporary Transition Scheme ONLY that the occupation needs to be on a list at the point of application?

Edited by mallan82450

35 minutes ago, mallan82450 said:

Can you show me exactly on the home affairs website where it specifically states that to be eligible for PR via the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) Temporary Transition Scheme ONLY that the occupation needs to be on a list at the point of application?

No I can’t. I base my comments on the fact that we’ve had people encounter exactly that problem when the time came to apply. So I suggest you research that.

• Sad 1

Just now, Marisawright said:

No I can’t. I base my comments on the fact that we’ve had people encounter exactly that problem when the time came to apply. So I suggest you research that.

You can't point me to it because it's not there.

Eligibility for that visa ONLY according to the Home Affairs website states: You must currently be the primary visa holder of

So I suggest you research that.

11 hours ago, mallan82450 said:

The Home Affairs website is simply a basic overview and should not be relied on for complex matters.

The actual Regulation which specifies this is 5.19(5) with further Policy specifically stating that the occupation must remain on the list at the time of applying for PR.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, james14 said:

It really depends on the industry and your specific situation.

Industry contacts in Australia are very beneficial.

In your field of IT (Full Stack Developer) many company's do actually use Linked In to recruit. 

On 01/04/2019 at 04:51, mallan82450 said:

Hi James.

I agree with the above, this can be a useful forum but the usual suspects are so negative.

I got sponsored on 457 from the UK, as above the Visa took 4 days to come through will be getting sponsored for PR.  I found the job through Linkedin and I had some contacts at the company. I found it to be a more rigorous process with regards to checking references etc than I was used to in the UK.  

As the advice above, if it is a reputable company then you should be fine.

Good luck with it all, I can only talk of my experience here in Melbourne but there are loads of ex pats here on temporary visas and they're not all living in fear of being made redundant, having jobs pulled from lists or changes that may or may not happen in 3 years time.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EJMac said:

Good luck with it all, I can only talk of my experience here in Melbourne but there are loads of ex pats here on temporary visas and they're not all living in fear of being made redundant, having jobs pulled from lists or changes that may or may not happen in 3 years time.

We like to mention the possibility because different people have different levels of tolerance for risk.  I'm sure the average young professional on a great salary doesn't worry, because if they have to leave Australia, they'll just pick themselves up and head for the next adventure.

Someone with older children, or with children who need extra support and stability, may be less comfortable with the idea of uprooting those children if there is a risk it won't be permanent, and it's important they have a full understanding of what the risks are.  Then if they decide to go ahead, they can plan for them.

Besides, very often people are happy and confident while they're on the temp visa, and that's why it's so devastating when they get to the point of applying for PR and it all unravels

Edited by Marisawright