AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

On 03/04/2020 at 09:25, gwheng said:

hi Guys

My test and appointment is booked on 22th April, but i have not heard from the dept that they going to postpone or anything due to the virus.

should i call and check? or just prepare for the test and turns up on that day to sit for the test? 

Just call to find out.the offices may be closed.

Be good to know if they are still working on approvals too.

On 13/03/2020 at 15:35, mau88 said:

Hi. I haven't received a ceremony invite yet. Will let you know if that happens.

I applied from Canberra council last month. Hope they will give me the test date soon as they have given to you. Did you have your ceremony??

bad news guys, I've just called canberra immi office and is being advised that all citizenship test is being scheduled to August the earliest.

what a timing after been waiting for long time, and i'm so close to take my test in 2 weeks time, they moved everything so annoyed right now 🤬 argh....

Does anyone know if at this stage they are still processing or approving Citizenship applications? I had my test/exam in December 2019, waiting for an answer on my approval after submitting a few final documents early Jan...last correspondence was 2 weeks ago letting me know they are finalising an updated NSW police check...

2 minutes ago, olloyd21 said:

Does anyone know if at this stage they are still processing or approving Citizenship applications? I had my test/exam in December 2019, waiting for an answer on my approval after submitting a few final documents early Jan...last correspondence was 2 weeks ago letting me know they are finalising an updated NSW police check...

after being on the phone with the immi officer, the person said anything that involve with citizenship it will be postpone due to the current virus situation, and citizenship has less priority currently for the government to concern about. 

3 hours ago, gwheng said:

after being on the phone with the immi officer, the person said anything that involve with citizenship it will be postpone due to the current virus situation, and citizenship has less priority currently for the government to concern about. 

My experience with immigration : the people you get on the phone are usually not aware of upcoming changes. So I would take this information with a grain of salt.

Each minister has their how set of responsibilities, and this will be looked at like any other problematic. We will know soon which decision will be made when it will be officially announced. 

I wrote to my local MP about the situation of approved applicants waiting for the ceremony (attaching the  petition here: https://www.change.org/p/australian-government-department-of-home-affairs-alternative-electronic-method-for-citizenship-ceremonies-for-approved-applicants?source_location=topic_page) and mentioning the NZ solution.

He answered and told me that they were aware of the situation and hoping for a positive outcome soon for all approved applicants.

I do believe that approved applicants will see positive outcomes. As it seems logical to help clearing the backlog and to win these applicants for the next elections are they will get the right to vote pretty soon now.

Let's be positive.

5 minutes ago, jess6 said:

My experience with immigration : the people you get on the phone are usually not aware of upcoming changes. So I would take this information with a grain of salt.

Each minister has their how set of responsibilities, and this will be looked at like any other problematic. We will know soon which decision will be made when it will be officially announced. 

I wrote to my local MP about the situation of approved applicants waiting for the ceremony (attaching the  petition here: https://www.change.org/p/australian-government-department-of-home-affairs-alternative-electronic-method-for-citizenship-ceremonies-for-approved-applicants?source_location=topic_page) and mentioning the NZ solution.

He answered and told me that they were aware of the situation and hoping for a positive outcome soon for all approved applicants.

I do believe that approved applicants will see positive outcomes. As it seems logical to help clearing the backlog and to win these applicants for the next elections are they will get the right to vote pretty soon now.

Let's be positive.

What's your perspective on applications awaiting approval? 

This announcement comes after thousands signed a petition requesting the government to issue citizenship online to approved applicants.

Highlights:

• There are currently 85,000 people awaiting a ceremony.
  • Citizenship interview and test put on hold.
  • Approved applicants jubilant at the new announcement.

‘Current health advice around COVID-19 means it is not possible for traditional, in-person citizenship ceremonies to be held,’ Acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs, Alan Tudge said in a statement.

‘Australian citizenship is an immense privilege, and fundamental to our national identity.

‘The Government will hold online citizenship ceremonies via secure video link, to enable people to continue to become Australian citizens during the coronavirus crisis,’ the Minister announced.

The Department of Home Affairs has commenced trialling one-on-one ceremonies for those already approved for Australian citizenship.

‘We will work with individuals with an urgent need, who cannot access the internet, to ensure their ceremony can occur safely in line with health advice.

‘When fully implemented, it is expected this new capability will see up to 750 people per day having their citizenship conferred.

There are currently 85,000 people awaiting a ceremony.

People who were scheduled to attend a Citizenship appointment or ceremony over the coming months will be contacted to make alternative arrangements.

6 minutes ago, Rvee said:

‘When fully implemented, it is expected this new capability will see up to 750 people per day having their citizenship conferred.

There are currently 85,000 people awaiting a ceremony.

People who were scheduled to attend a Citizenship appointment or ceremony over the coming months will be contacted to make alternative arrangements.

It says  85000 awaiting a ceremony

85000/750 = 113 (business days) which equals 150 calendar days !!

It means it takes around 5 months for guys who get their approval today to attend the online ceremony!

1 hour ago, kevsan said:

It says  85000 awaiting a ceremony

85000/750 = 113 (business days) which equals 150 calendar days !!

It means it takes around 5 months for guys who get their approval today to attend the online ceremony!

Yes, that was already the official timeline before.

I personally got approved on December 20 and still hadn't received an invitation for the mid-April ceremony of my council which indicates that timeline.

I think that we have to admit that considering the circumstances, it is actually a pretty good effort from the department. They could have very well put us on ice.  

On 04/04/2020 at 09:42, Rawkus said:

mine was booked for 16th April. I called them and they said no tests are being conducted till August 2020. Mins got rescheduldx

On 03/04/2020 at 06:25, gwheng said:

hi Guys

My test and appointment is booked on 22th April, but i have not heard from the dept that they going to postpone or anything due to the virus.

should i call and check? or just prepare for the test and turns up on that day to sit for the test? 

Guys citizenship ceremonies going online...

People who have given tests still getting approved but at a lower pace..

Ones who have to give tests need to wait bcoz there is no online process for that..

But once restrictions ease, they will put more resources to catchup.

Great news..

Our hardwork and petition got answered.

Hi guys,

I have question about the scanning of photo for the form 1195. How big should the photo size be ? I mean the harf copy is as per the specs. But how big should the scanned soft copy be ? 

Should it be same size on the screen as the actual photo (i.e. 35mm by 45mm) ? Or should it be scanned copy be A4 size ? I am very confused about this.

Thank you

15 hours ago, jess6 said:

I think that we have to admit that considering the circumstances, it is actually a pretty good effort from the department. They could have very well put us on ice.  

Absolutely. i got approved before Christmas as well. I'm encouraged that they are looking at chipping away at the list rather than going on hold, but i don't imagine it will happen soon.

i hope to be proven wrong...

It would be nice to know where on the list we are, but i don't imagine that will happen

1 hour ago, Cubiscus said:

Good news on the online ceremonies, common sense. 

We were going to be in limbo otherwise if an emergency should arise once, our travel authority runs out soon.

No you weren't.  If you're currently resident in Australia and have been for some years, then you apply for a RRV and it should be granted quickly.

On 02/04/2020 at 12:44, Dhinchak said:

I have started the process of filling up the application for me and my family.

We are four (Me,my wife, my son who is above 18 now and other son who is still teenager

Do I have to raise four different applications ?

I have started with my elder son creating new immi account. 

My question is related to "Evidence of current residential address" for my son and he has Drivers learner permit. Can I provide that as residence proof ? It only has expiry date and no issue date mentioned on it.

On 02/04/2020 at 12:47, Dhinchak said:

I have started the process of filling up the application for me and my family.

We are four (Me,my wife, my son who is above 18 now and other son who is still teenager

Do I have to raise four different applications ?

I have started with my elder son creating new immi account. 

My question is related to "Evidence of current residential address" for my son and he has Drivers learner permit. Can I provide that as residence proof ? It only has expiry date and no issue date mentioned on it.

Also I noticed that in application it asked for national identity number . I have this for Me my wife and elder son but younger son doesnt have any Adhaar card (we are from India) as he was too young for Adhaar when we moved here. So what document shall I provide for him as National identity

Can someone please answer my query ?

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

No you weren't.  If you're currently resident in Australia and have been for some years, then you apply for a RRV and it should be granted quickly.

I would strongly prefer not to spend $1k plus for the sake of what could be a few weeks.   Plus even if it takes weeks that's an issue work wise if I have to stay out of the country until its granted.