AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

We applied in December last year, we are discontinuing with our application as we are going to move back to the UK and cant be bothered to wait for this incompetent bunch to do their jobs. 
Where are you based? Waiting for citizenship shouldnt affect your life in Australia. People should relax enjoy your life and when it happens it happens.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris N Lora said:

We applied in December last year, we are discontinuing with our application as we are going to move back to the UK and cant be bothered to wait for this incompetent bunch to do their jobs. 

It's unfortunate that the government is playing political football with immigration and citizenship.   It's incompetent management - i.e. refusing to recruit anywhere near enough staff to deal with the volume of citizenship applications - not incompetent staff.  

Bottom line anyway, citizenship is supposed to be for people who want to make a genuine commitment to the country, not for people who want to get it as a safety net then sod off home, so we have no right to complain (I say this as someone who originally got my citizenship as a safety net myself).

Edited by Marisawright

I think it is the seeming injustice of some people getting through the process quickly and others not. My son applied April 2017 and was conferred on Australia Day 2018. We applied December 2017 and had our ceremony in August 2018. Both not unreasonable timescales.

It was important to my son as it meant he could get help with uni fees and he started mid year after getting citizenship, some people are waiting for it because of employment requirements, and yes some people want or need to return to their home country for various reasons and don’t want the insecurity of RRVs.

Some people who applied before us still haven’t got approval or even taken a test yet.  Some people are getting approval within a few days of the test and some still don’t have approval 12 months on...........

Something in the processing is not working as it should and the will to fix it isn’t there. 

If I had been waiting so long for approval I would be having a word with my local MP, the more complaints that get through the better.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Chris N Lora said:

I think you may live to regret that decision. Especially when the UK deep dark winter kicks in. I know its frustrating but at the very worst its a 2 years wait for the rest of your life. 

Just now, Rorz said:

I think you may live to regret that decision. Especially when the UK deep dark winter kicks in. I know its frustrating but at the very worst its a 2 years wait for the rest of your life. 

no, not at all, I have lived here in Australia, for 7 years now, and work is the reason I am going home. admittedly I should of done citizenship years ago, never got around to it... I won't feel regret it is just a chapter of life.  I have never had issues with the dark nights in the UK growing up there as a kid your used to it, 

16 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's unfortunate that the government is playing political football with immigration and citizenship.   It's incompetent management - i.e. refusing to recruit anywhere near enough staff to deal with the volume of citizenship applications - not incompetent staff.  

Bottom line anyway, citizenship is supposed to be for people who want to make a genuine commitment to the country, not for people who want to get it as a safety net then sod off home, so we have no right to complain (I say this as someone who originally got my citizenship as a safety net myself).

I agree, that Immigration are at fault, not the particular employee's, sadly they suffer for the incompetence of the Federal government, I think they have enough grief without people calling up harassing them lol. 

3 minutes ago, Chris N Lora said:

no, not at all, I have lived here in Australia, for 7 years now, and work is the reason I am going home. admittedly I should of done citizenship years ago, never got around to it... I won't feel regret it is just a chapter of life.  I have never had issues with the dark nights in the UK growing up there as a kid your used to it, 

Fair enough, all the best

22 hours ago, Tecnik said:
23 hours ago, Chris N Lora said:

Where are you based? Waiting for citizenship shouldnt affect your life in Australia. People should relax enjoy your life and when it happens it happens.

I am based in Sydney NSW, it is not affecting my life, I have accepted a new role in the UK so will be returning in 2019.  I am of the stance, I get citizenship great if I do not, not actually a loss. in the fact I am a UK passport holder etc, I can always get a 5 year RRV.

2 hours ago, Chris N Lora said:

I am based in Sydney NSW, it is not affecting my life, I have accepted a new role in the UK so will be returning in 2019.  I am of the stance, I get citizenship great if I do not, not actually a loss. in the fact I am a UK passport holder etc, I can always get a 5 year RRV.

UK passport holder or not, eventually your ability to get a RRV may no longer exist. The longer you stay away from oz, the harder it will get to prove the ties necessary to go back.  And the rules may change. Last time the RRV rules changed it was done almost overnight. Honestly, if there is any chance you will want to return to oz, get that citizenship 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nemesis said:

UK passport holder or not, eventually your ability to get a RRV may no longer exist. The longer you stay away from oz, the harder it will get to prove the ties necessary to go back.  And the rules may change. Last time the RRV rules changed it was done almost overnight. Honestly, if there is any chance you will want to return to oz, get that citizenship 

To be fair, the only reason I ever wanted citizenship was to take up new employment with a federal dept here, I have now accepted a position within the UK.  I have my daughter who is staying and we have decided to not sell our Aussie home for her to stay in. a RRV is valid for 5 years, if it expires and I/We are not permitted to return so be it.  I know it sounds callous but I dont like living with the what if in life .... we are not going for a few months yet so we will see. 

Applied 26th Dec 2017 VIC Received email 19th Sep 2018 for test 28th Nov 2018 Reschedule test 25th Sep 2018 ( NEXT TUESDAY ) There is one children over 16 but below 18 She is not invited for TEST but if she join with me for Interview and check document before TEST ? Thanks 

On 22/09/2018 at 19:33, KazBaker said:

Hello everyone,

Can permanant resident apply citizenship still after 1 year later? I have been living in australia since 2009.

any information provided will be appreciated. 

Thanks

congras to u for granting PR.

The rule has changed since last year. no matter how many years u have stayed in Australia legally, it doesnt count.

Only AFTER your PR is granted, then from that day you need to be here for 4 years before you can apply citizenship.

Permanent Residents - After 1 July 2007. If you obtain your permanent residence after 1 July 2007, you will need to meet the following requirements to become an Australian citizen: You have lived lawfully in Australia for at least 4 years; and. You have lived in Australia for at least 12 months as a permanent resident.

• Like 2

The new residence requirements for in the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 mean that applicants will need:

• four (4) years lawful residence in Australia immediately prior to making an application for Australian citizenship with at least 12 months as a permanent resident, and
  • absences from Australia of no more than 12 months in total in the four (4) years prior to application, and no more than ninety (90) days in the 12 month permanent residency period prior to application.
    51 minutes ago, Tecnik said:

Permanent Residents - After 1 July 2007. If you obtain your permanent residence after 1 July 2007, you will need to meet the following requirements to become an Australian citizen: You have lived lawfully in Australia for at least 4 years; and. You have lived in Australia for at least 12 months as a permanent resident.

yes you are right, i just searched and the previous rule has been taken back.

7 hours ago, Tecnik said:

?Permanent Residents - After 1 July 2007. If you obtain your permanent residence after 1 July 2007, you will need to meet the following requirements to become an Australian citizen: You have lived lawfully in Australia for at least 4 years; and. You have lived in Australia for at least 12 months as a permanent resident.

Thanks Tecnik for your information. So it suggests that i might meet the elegibility just after 12 months. How do i apply the citizenship application as a migrant. I went through immi account but understand that i need to have better understanding before i approach to make application. Should i select apply citizenship by conferel or citizenship by descent?? Confised ??

Morning all ?

I had my ceremony last night and received my certificate so it's now all done and dusted!

Here is my timeline just for reference. I understand the frustrations of long wait times - I am the most impatient person I know but for me it was going to happen when it happened, I've been here 7 years so waiting a few more months wasn't going to make a big difference to me. For those who are still waiting, I hope you get some movement soon and wish you all luck!

Date applied: 21 Oct 2017

City/Council area: Bayside Council, NSW

Online / Paper: Online

Date received the acknowledgement email: 21 Oct 2017

Test invite email: I can't remember - I think it was around April 2018

Date of the Citizenship Test: 01 Jun 2018

Date of approval: 16 Jun 2018

Ceremony invitation:  13 Aug 2018

Date of ceremony: 25 Sep 2018

I've been here since December 2011 - Having held a 417 (8 months), 457 (3 years 5 months) and Permanent residency (2 years and 4 months) and I am from the UK.

Edited by hjq83

3 hours ago, Yousuf Abdul Ghaffar said:

Dear All

Appreciate if anyone can send the updated Excel sheet as it's provide very useful information.

Regards

Seen a spreadsheet when i was going through 457 and PR not seen one here for citizenship though. I would def be interested in seeing one if there is not one about maybe we can create one. 

3 hours ago, Yousuf Abdul Ghaffar said:

Dear All

Appreciate if anyone can send the updated Excel sheet as it's provide very useful information.

Regards

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rLZKwjhbfXLeqWyX3mqxU3p4SOfFedG7WanXQSwyrfA/edit#gid=1621018804

But someone changed some of the dates, and I find it not too reliable anymore. I had to change the correct dates to our timelines as it was also changed.