AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

2 minutes ago, Rhyme said:

Hi guys,

I have a question about traffic offence. I've already applied for my citizenship and I had a traffic infringement a few years back. It's paid and no court finding. Do I need to include that in my application?

Because it only mentions on the application form to include offence with court conviction. Anyone with this experience and got citizenship approval?

My husband had a parking offence and we did not include that in the application since it did not reach to court.

16 hours ago, Zet01 said:

Mine was approved after 2 days, husband got his approval 20 days after.

Are you from which state? Ours is in Victoria.

Congrats on your approval, hopefully your husband will get his approval soon.

Ahhh that's good to know that they have not singled him out! 

Thank you - NSW - Sydney

Congrats too!

32 minutes ago, Zet01 said:

My husband had a parking offence and we did not include that in the application since it did not reach to court.

Thanks Zet01. Has your husband attended any test and did they ask anything about it?

Edited by Rhyme

1 minute ago, Rhyme said:

Thanks Zet01. Has your husband attended any test and did they ask anything about it?

We are now citizens. No questions were asked about it, though he got his approval 20 days after taking the test.

We did our test in May, and took oath last August. ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rhyme said:

Hi guys,

I have a question about traffic offence. I've already applied for my citizenship and I had a traffic infringement a few years back. It's paid and no court finding. Do I need to include that in my application?

Because it only mentions on the application form to include offence with court conviction. Anyone with this experience and got citizenship approval?

As others said. I actually had a few traffic and parking infringements at the time I applied, all of them paid. I went to court with one of them, it was my choice to dispute in court. I had forgotten about it but when I submitted my app I realised I had one I'd been in court for. So I submitted form 1023. At my interview, no questions asked. I didn't notify them of my other traffic / parking tickets.

So you read correctly, the instructions say only the ones you went to court with. Remember it's a character question as they could check any time and corroborate your answers.

38 minutes ago, AnneOz said:

As others said. I actually had a few traffic and parking infringements at the time I applied, all of them paid. I went to court with one of them, it was my choice to dispute in court. I had forgotten about it but when I submitted my app I realised I had one I'd been in court for. So I submitted form 1023. At my interview, no questions asked. I didn't notify them of my other traffic / parking tickets.

So you read correctly, the instructions say only the ones you went to court with. Remember it's a character question as they could check any time and corroborate your answers.

That is why I'm asking. I'm just making sure that I'm being honest and that it won't be roadblock to my application.

Thanks for sharing your experience as well.

A question re: those who had the test - I sat the test in April 2018. There was an odd issue where they claimed the dates didn't add up to the full 4 years (which was incorrect) so they let me sit the test and "don't worry. You'll hear back from us". So it's now almost 6 months later and I've heard absolutely nothing. No email, no change on immi website. 

I'm not even sure if I should contact them to avoid making things worse. Anyone else heard anything this far down the line. Worth poking the hornet's nest? ?

addit: I did pass the test in case anyone is wondering that's the reason why.

Edited by nikopol

Personally I would follow up.  Do check your dates carefully though , usually their records from immigration are accurate.  Could there have been a break in your visa at any point?

The worst they can do is tell you you didn’t qualify and why then you can apply again ASAP.  It would seem that anything out of the ordinary gets stuck in the system as they are trying to catch up with the backlog.

They can race through straightforward applications to meet targets, applications requiring more scrutiny require time. 

6 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Personally I would follow up.  Do check your dates carefully though , usually their records from immigration are accurate.  Could there have been a break in your visa at any point?

The worst they can do is tell you you didn’t qualify and why then you can apply again ASAP.  It would seem that anything out of the ordinary gets stuck in the system as they are trying to catch up with the backlog.

They can race through straightforward applications to meet targets, applications requiring more scrutiny require time. 

my application is ordinary and straight forward..... into our 9 month of waiting in Brisbane now with no dates for test just the acknowledgement ...... i think the backlog is bigger than we think sadly ......   x

15 minutes ago, shiveringpom said:

my application is ordinary and straight forward..... into our 9 month of waiting in Brisbane now with no dates for test just the acknowledgement ...... i think the backlog is bigger than we think sadly ......   x

same. ten months waiting now since last November.

Hi Guys

When you get an approval , do you get an intimation email from the immi online portal or it turns from Recieved to Approved and you can only see it when you log in to your application portal ? Is it also normal to get an approval letter in the normal post and still have received status in the online portal ?

Cheers

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Yeah I've checked the dates - I could even prove I was paying tax over 4 years before hand and had a contract of work from that time (I came well equipped!). I had a 457 initially which was a 4 year one then got PR within 2 years of being on that. 

It could be the fact this has been flagged that is causing this to lag for such a long time (but by this point, even with the computer's miscalculations of when I arrived, I'd be within even their version of the 4 years). 

Should I be doing a FIO or trying to contact them directly?

1 hour ago, crunchy said:

Hi Guys

When you get an approval , do you get an intimation email from the immi online portal or it turns from Recieved to Approved and you can only see it when you log in to your application portal ? Is it also normal to get an approval letter in the normal post and still have received status in the online portal ?

Cheers

My IMMI showed approved first and then I got the approval letter after a week.  

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:38, rammygirl said:

Our citizenship certificates arrived this morning with Peter Dutton signature. I guess he was still technically the minister as the new guy hadn’t been sworn in. Passport application lodged.

That's good to hear @rammygirl. Just in time for your travel next month.

On 07/09/2018 at 16:08, rammygirl said:

Our citizenship certificates arrived this morning with Peter Dutton signature. I guess he was still technically the minister as the new guy hadn’t been sworn in. Passport application lodged.

This is what I heard. As the portfolio Immigration and Citizenship has no cabinet position and it is still located within Home Affairs portfolio led by Peter Dutton. Therefore, in other words Peter Dutton (Minister) is the boss and Coleman (Junior Minister) works under him as was previously Allan Tudge (only Citizenship minister) works under Peter Dutton. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/peter-dutton-to-retain-border-force-when-immigration-handed-to-new-minister

The following is the extract from the above website 

Mr Coleman will not have a cabinet position and will still be located within the Home Affairs portfolio, led by Mr Dutton.

SBS News has put a series of questions to the Home Affairs department but understands the immigration department will not be separated.

Questions remain over whether Mr Coleman will take over the ministerial powers in the Migration Act, including the ability to cancel visas. More details are expected in coming days as the remainder of the Morrison ministry is sworn in at Government House.

Almost 18 months waiting time over 14 months since successful citizenship test. No requests, nothing.

Called them when the processing time was 12 months - nothing, even didn't ask the for details.

When processing time was 15 months they checked application details and I was told: "it is only over 15 months call us when it will be over processing time by at least a month", now it is almost 18 months, they didn't even ask for details, said can't comment and that I can do nothing. A bit frustrated with the attitude.

Have two questions, how do you ask for Freedom of Information in regards of citizenship application and what does it provide in regards of the citizenship application?

Which ombudsman should I apply for investigation and how much time does it take?

Thank you!

PS: Oziee, any movements on your application?

Edited by NaiKoN

24 minutes ago, NaiKoN said:

Have two questions, how do you ask for Freedom of Information in regards of citizenship application and what does it provide in regards of the citizenship application?

Which ombudsman should I apply for investigation and how much time does it take?

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/corporate/information/forms/online/foi

Write your FOI wisely and insist on specific points.

Ask for all the documents, records and communication in CCPT, and ICSE Case notes

CCPT- (Citizenship Caseload Prioritisation Tool) is a tool used for prioritising citizenship cases (25 criteria)

ICSE - general information including your communication with the department and internal communication records of different stages. It is good to have this as a proof that department did not do anything for you in a long time period

After getting the FOI check is there anything pending. There will some flags. Green means all done

Amber means, it has to be referred to a different area called identity business support where it has to be manually investigated before clearance

The ICSE notes will reveal notes like "all clear" "nil concerns" "decision ready" etc.

There are some applicants whose cases are pending because of the following flags

CSP - (Community support program) is for refugees who get support overseas from Australian government

Bio-metric - checks are related facial recognition and finger print data base

Lodge a case with ombudsman

After that, complain through online feedback complain system (this is the best way to communicate with the department)

online feedback complain system

Write down the evidence, and dates

Write down that your application has suffered from unreasonable delay, and mention the notes from FOI information

Mention that your case is not with IGIS

Mention the judgement by Justice Bromberg

Mention inactivity and that the delay is not due to 3rd party

Good Luck

Edited by ArsalanAhmad
  • Like 1