Visa help for children

Lucie1

Hi all

I’m looking to apply for 189 visas.

I have two 22 year old sons who are both completing their apprenticeship in July. One will be an electrician and the other a mechanical engineer.

I was hoping to include them on my visa but one of my previous posts, someone explained as they earn and possibly their age I wouldn’t be able to.

Would anyone know if that’s definitely the case and if so what visa would be best for them.

I don’t think they would have enough points yet for 189 themselves

Thank you

I think to get a definite answer it would be best to consult a registered migration agent - whilst a lot of the membership are well informed, we're not professionals and there will be things that the RMA's know that can assist visa strategies.

22 minutes ago, Lucie1 said:

Hi all

I’m looking to apply for 189 visas.

I have two 22 year old sons who are both completing their apprenticeship in July. One will be an electrician and the other a mechanical engineer.

I was hoping to include them on my visa but one of my previous posts, someone explained as they earn and possibly their age I wouldn’t be able to.

Would anyone know if that’s definitely the case and if so what visa would be best for them.

I don’t think they would have enough points yet for 189 themselves

Thank you

Id echo the advice to speak to an agent about possible visa strategies. They have next to no chance of coming on your visa, but could explore route of their own 

To be included on your visa, they must be dependent on you. If they’re earning, even on minimum wage, they are not dependent enough. 

They could both get working holiday visas for a year or two but that won’t help them get a permanent visa.

I have to say it doesn’t sound hopeful at all. Get a consultation with a good agent - if there’s any way at all, they’ll be able to tell you

5 hours ago, Lucie1 said:

Thanks all.

What about once my visa is granted and I’m living there as a permanent resident. Would you know of an alternative visa they could then apply for ?

That won’t change anything I’m afraid.  Their only hope is to one day be in a position to apply themselves. They could go on a WHV but they will be no different then any other person that does that and will have to return to the uk at the end which will be worse than them not going with you, unless they fancy the adventure of course. I do feel for you, you have this opportunity but can’t go as a family, you’re not alone, many have been in that situation. 

48 minutes ago, Lucie1 said:

I know it’s awful, it’s a shame that I’m able to go and they would also be able to offer something with their trades to

They will be able to go, once they can qualify for a visa in their own right.

I know of a family who came over to Australia end of 2017, their 21 and 25 year old came with them on their PR visa and both were working but lived at home.  You just have to prove they are still dependant on you.  When we came over end of 2017 my then 19 year old daughter was a student but also working part time.  She lived at home with us and we had to fill out a seperate form to upload to immi account  and give a break down on what we provided for her although we didn't have to upload any evidence.  Good luck

I know of a family who came over to Australia end of 2017, their 21 and 25 year old came with them on their PR visa and both were working but lived at home.  You just have to prove they are still dependant on you.  When we came over end of 2017 my then 19 year old daughter was a student but also working part time.  She lived at home with us and we had to fill out a seperate form to upload to immi account  and give a break down on what we provided for her although we didn't have to upload any evidence.  Good luck

Oh that’s sounds more positive thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Lucie1 said:

Oh that’s sounds more positive thank you very much.

Bear in mind that a family arriving in 2017 may have submitted their application in 2016, when the rules were different.  We had a lady here a couple of months ago who got knocked back recently under the new rules.   On the Parents' Visa thread, an agent has warned people that it's much more difficult now. For instance, once they're 23, they have to be virtually disabled before they can count as dependent now.

Your best bet is to bite the bullet, engage an agent, and then ask them for their honest opinion on your sons'  chances.  They have vastly more experience than any of us.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

And the family arriving in 2017 may not have come from the UK.

It's always been extremely difficult to prove dependency for adult children if you're coming from the UK as the existence of the benefits available to everyone means that no adult has to be dependent financially on their parents. 

Families with adult children coming from countries with no welfare find it much easier to prove financial dependency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickyNook said:

And the family arriving in 2017 may not have come from the UK.

It's always been extremely difficult to prove dependency for adult children if you're coming from the UK as the existence of the benefits available to everyone means that no adult has to be dependent financially on their parents. 

Families with adult children coming from countries with no welfare find it much easier to prove financial dependency.

The family were from the UK, another family who I know arrived Oct 18  from the UK with their 21 year old daughter who worked but lived at home

2 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

when were their visas actually granted?

The family who came over in 2017 was granted Aug 2017 and the family who came over a few months ago their visa was granted Jun 18.  I understand it changes all the time so the OP does need to get advice from a migration agent but at least there may be a glimmer of hope that her children can come on her visa

9 minutes ago, safarichick said:

The family who came over in 2017 was granted Aug 2017 and the family who came over a few months ago their visa was granted Jun 18.  I understand it changes all the time so the OP does need to get advice from a migration agent but at least there may be a glimmer of hope that her children can come on her visa

Well I guess they found a way round it, but I just find it mind boggling that someone aged 21 or 25 and in full time work can prove dependency.

Still, I long since ceased to wonder at the logic applied by immigration. Maybe I should divorce my hubby, adopt him as my child and then try and sponsor him in that way, everything else has failed!

12 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Well I guess they found a way round it, but I just find it mind boggling that someone aged 21 or 25 and in full time work can prove dependency.

Still, I long since ceased to wonder at the logic applied by immigration. Maybe I should divorce my hubby, adopt him as my child and then try and sponsor him in that way, everything else has failed!

There's no logic at times.  My brother is desperate to join me but his choices are really limited as he is 50. Was considering the student route and did get an offer to study regional where I live but the fees are way too expensive.  Looked at last remaining relative visa, but his wife has family from where she is from.  Possible only route which would only be 2 to 4 years is the temp sponsor visa.

On 06/01/2019 at 23:19, Lucie1 said:

I know it’s awful, it’s a shame that I’m able to go and they would also be able to offer something with their trades to

Once they are qualified and have some experience under their belt, they may well qualify for a skilled visa.  It depends whether their skills are still on the list by the time they're ready to apply - and of course, whether they want to by then.  They may be too settled in their adult lives in the UK by that time.