What happens if you leave the state that nominated you?

Jupiter

Increasingly that seems to be happening as several agents have reported on here that visas are being cancelled for non compliance.  To this point, if you can demonstrate to a state that you've done your level best to find a job for about 6 months or more and have been unsuccessful and applied for leave to move they have granted it.  Who knows whether that leeway will continue now that they are cracking down - as they should IMHO, any number of people have got their state sponsored visa and never even bothered to set foot in the state before heading off to where they wanted to go all along.

On the 190 I think they just cry over your betrayal and hope bad things happen to you. From what I've heard from recipients of the 190, there isn't any official requirements attached to the visa. They can come after you, but I think they have to make a case against you. Still, I wouldn't abuse that, you should make the effort.

32 minutes ago, Karstedt said:

On the 190 I think they just cry over your betrayal and hope bad things happen to you. From what I've heard from recipients of the 190, there isn't any official requirements attached to the visa. They can come after you, but I think they have to make a case against you. Still, I wouldn't abuse that, you should make the effort.

Not any more. They are actively checking and have cancelled some visas. It is possible to gain a release if you can make a case. 

Problem is everyone thought like you and many did not comply. States got fed up and restricted 190s preferring to offer 489 instead. Now immigration are cracking down as regional areas do genuinely need skills. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Not any more. They are actively checking and have cancelled some visas. It is possible to gain a release if you can make a case. 

Problem is everyone thought like you and many did not comply. States got fed up and restricted 190s preferring to offer 489 instead. Now immigration are cracking down as regional areas do genuinely need skills.

Interesting, don't blame them. Are they just cracking down on state jumpers or are they also going after people who just fly in to activate PR and then go back to their country to continue an existing job until they can find a job in AU?

On 21/10/2018 at 14:10, Jupiter said:

Most states have a requirement that you have to live and work there for two years. What if you leave and work in another state? Will they track you down and cancel your permanent residency?

Hi why are you considering this? Or are you having trouble obtaining the 70 points?

On 22/10/2018 at 18:51, Karstedt said:

Interesting, don't blame them. Are they just cracking down on state jumpers or are they also going after people who just fly in to activate PR and then go back to their country to continue an existing job until they can find a job in AU?

Since that's officially permitted, whereas moving on a 190 isn't, they are two different situations.

Although in practice, most people who "fly over to activate PR and go back" do it because they're waiting until they sell their house or until a child has finished school.   For most people, landing a job before they arrive in the country is just a pipe dream.  

The reality is that if an employer has the choice of a halfway decent local candidate, or an excellent candidate thousands of miles away, he's always likely to pick the local guy.  He knows the local guy's there already, whereas he'll worry (perhaps needlessly) about the time it will take the overseas guy to arrive and get settled in.

Until you're in the country, you are always up against that prejudice, unless you're in an occupation where they can't find anyone locally.  It's not like the old days when Australia was desperately short in certain occupations.