Cost of fuel reached $1.70 +

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

We had to put some diesel in yesterday and I thought the price was high at $1.72, it looks like it’s all on it’s way up.

What really gets me is that you can have a fuel station selling it at $1.72 and then a km down the road one selling at $1.49. 

Mind you I remember when we lived in Melbourne the servo at the bottom of the road would change their prices 3 times a day, first for the morning rush hour then they would drop them and then increase them again for the evening rush hour.

THE cost of fuel has reached record levels - and apparently, Aussie motorists should "get used to" paying up to $1.70 a litre.

That's according to an analysis from CommSec, which used data from the Australian Institute of Petroleum to reveal prices had now soared to their highest in four years.

The last time we saw prices this severe was January 5, 2014 - and according to experts, things could get even worse before prices ease.

The Australian fuel prices are pegged to the Singaporean Terminal Gate Price as we import almost 50% of our refined products here and over 50% in NSW, Northern WA, NT etc. Usually our prices are around 2-3 weeks behind the Singaporean prices. 

I put Mobil E10 in our cars from Metro and paying between 1.33 to 1.45 depending on the daily fluctuations. 

On 16/10/2018 at 20:49, Rallyman said:

Just paid 1.71.9 in sydney and thought WtF where did that come from , was only a few weeks ago it was around 1.47 

whats happened ?

Have you never noticed that Oz works on these strange price cycles (though not for diesel).  Normally monthly but I understand it is weekly in WA.  Approximately every 4 weeks the price is hiked by about 25c per litre.  After about 10 days it gradually starts to fall back down to a price slightly higher than the lowest price before the hike.  Stays at the lowest price for about a week then hiked.

One time the hike happened while I was in a fuel stop.  I paid the lower price, stepped outside and saw the price on the board 25c higher and also on the pump where I had filled up less than 5 minutes earlier.  Don’t know what they said to customers behind me as there was a steady flow of cars in and out that lunchtime.

27 minutes ago, Parley said:

On Friday in Melbourne it was 149.9 and yesterday jumped to 169.9

A bad combination of oil moving higher and Aussie dollar moving lower. It will probably go to $2 per litre next year

Likewise it made the same jump here in NSW, luckily I'd just filled up. 

On 19/10/2018 at 10:25, Gbye grey sky said:

Have you never noticed that Oz works on these strange price cycles (though not for diesel).  Normally monthly but I understand it is weekly in WA.  Approximately every 4 weeks the price is hiked by about 25c per litre.  After about 10 days it gradually starts to fall back down to a price slightly higher than the lowest price before the hike.  Stays at the lowest price for about a week then hiked.

One time the hike happened while I was in a fuel stop.  I paid the lower price, stepped outside and saw the price on the board 25c higher and also on the pump where I had filled up less than 5 minutes earlier.  Don’t know what they said to customers behind me as there was a steady flow of cars in and out that lunchtime.

Yes, it's something that has annoyed me a lot here in Oz. Even more bizarrely we have a local fuel station which reduces its prices 10c a litre every night between 2200 and 0200, which is okay for me as I work shifts. 

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Filled up again yesterday still at 1.70 per ltr

CR don’t think we actually refine any fuel here in Australia now , Kurnell was shut a few years ago only a storage / distribution depot 

We still have four refineries in Australia; Viva Geelong in VIC, Mobil Altona in VIC, BP Kwinana in WA & Caltex Lytton in QLD. However to import fuel from Singapore & Korea only adds circa 2c a litre which makes it an attractive option.

10 minutes ago, CaptainR said:

Likewise it made the same jump here in NSW, luckily I'd just filled up. 

Yes, it's something that has annoyed me a lot here in Oz. Even more bizarrely we have a local fuel station which reduces its prices 10c a litre every night between 2200 and 0200, which is okay for me as I work shifts. 

We still have four refineries in Australia; Viva Geelong in VIC, Mobil Altona in VIC, BP Kwinana in WA & Caltex Lytton in QLD. However to import fuel from Singapore & Korea only adds circa 2c a litre which makes it an attractive option.

Must have been the last one in nsw , thanks for info 

which station is that that drops it’s price I do a fair amount of work around Newcastle area 

9 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Must have been the last one in nsw , thanks for info 

which station is that that drops it’s price I do a fair amount of work around Newcastle area 

Metro in Charlestown. (38 Pacific Hwy, Charlestown NSW 2290). The prices out towards Maitland are also always cheaper than in the city... Can't figure that one out either. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/10/2018 at 12:51, CaptainR said:

Yet it’s all the same fuel, whether Caltex, BP, Mobil, Shell, Costco etc it could have been distributed from the same source... 

Is that true?  I know there was a previous scandal over different suppliers adding different levels of detergents, with some petrol (Shell) being a lot better for your vehicle than others (Costco)...hence a different production cost.  Not sure if that's all been resolved and they use the exact same composition now.

I see it's dropped around 7% in the last few weeks due to the oil price, but the usual Aussie internal market means that different states see wildly differing prices.

9 hours ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

Is that true?  I know there was a previous scandal over different suppliers adding different levels of detergents, with some petrol (Shell) being a lot better for your vehicle than others (Costco)...hence a different production cost.  Not sure if that's all been resolved and they use the exact same composition now.

I see it's dropped around 7% in the last few weeks due to the oil price, but the usual Aussie internal market means that different states see wildly differing prices.

I'm no expert, I just valet park the ships that bring in the fuel, but from conversations with those involved in the supply chain the following is how I understand it works. Around 50% of all fuel in Australia is imported from Korea, Singapore and China, the rest is produced in the 4 remaining refineries. Most of the product coming in meets a certain specification and is sold to multiple distributers here. Additives and ethanol (when its E10) are added before distribution. So yes a Shell, BP, Caltex, Mobil garage could all be selling fuel from the same supplier. I am told that occasionally fuel arrives that has been tested as below specification for BP/Shell and in that case it may still meet Australian standards and be sold through independent suppliers. The premium high ethanol products for BP and Shell are exclusive though. 

11 hours ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

Costco is Mobil.