Where to retire to in South QLD

rammygirl

OK so we are semi retired and finding SA too cold in the winters and tend to head North for warmth. 

We are considering buying a property which we can spend a few months a year in with a view to relocating permanently once our youngest has finished uni and settled somewhere (although we would return to SA for the festival season.  Our eldest is currently working in Canberra.

We are active and love walking and cycling as well as swimming We love Prt Douglas and Palm cove but feel cairns doesn’t have enough to offer long term and we would need to fly, requiring a second or hire car up there.  We love Brissie and could drive (albeit in a few days) there.

We don’t have a massive budget as we want to keep our house in SA so absolute max $600 but $500 preferred.  Ideally not too far to a beach or Brissie. 

We love theatre, galleries, live music and eating out so all these should be within reach.

Two beds, pool and garage would be ideal.

Any suggestions or are we dreaming?

8 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Was told to avoid Redcliffe, as it has a poor reputation. I guessed that the relatively cheaper real estate there reflected that. Although I know people have long memories and places can change. Is it on the up?

It's been on the up for quite a while as the older battlers die off and their properties get sold to "a different class". The folk who gave it a bad rep are being priced out or tempted to sell. People tend to view Redcliffe (aka it's bad rep) as anywhere up to Scarborough once you cross the Bridge which isn't so. Personally, I'd give my right arm to be able to afford a property anywhere up to 3 blocks back from the foreshore.  Look at Margate, Woody Point, Scarborough which are on the Redcliffe peninsula but have a much better rep.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JetBlast said:

I don't like Redcliffe. It has been run down. I would have a look at Noosa. Its a nice area and not a million miles away from Brisbane.

I agree parts of Redcliffe don’t have the best reputation, has a good weekend market. I doubt there will be much in the OP’s budget in Noosa, nearer to 2 hrs to Brisbane

Houses on our part of the Sunshine Coast Buderim/Mooloolaba area seem to be selling fast, again there are areas to avoid, but more due to dense new housing. On a clear run 1hr to Brisbane airport and 1hr 15 to central Brisbane, but road gets very busy. Local airport at Maroochydore.

Caloundra might be a bit cheaper?

Thanks all. I have looked at those areas now and see that our budget just isn’t going to stretch very far. 

Where we are now is 30 mins to CBD, 30-40 mins choice of beaches and walkable to several cafes and restaurants in a busy touristy town.  Perfect for us.  Not sure where else we will find that for $600k.

Land and build would be an option and to some extent would prefer it as that is what we have now.  Upgrading to better construction Is harder than doing it in the first place.  A lot of properties are old, poorly insulated and need a fair bit of work.

Ramot, I know that bit of coast is lovely but is there plenty to do especially off season?

43 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Thanks all. I have looked at those areas now and see that our budget just isn’t going to stretch very far. 

Where we are now is 30 mins to CBD, 30-40 mins choice of beaches and walkable to several cafes and restaurants in a busy touristy town.  Perfect for us.  Not sure where else we will find that for $600k.

Land and build would be an option and to some extent would prefer it as that is what we have now.  Upgrading to better construction Is harder than doing it in the first place.  A lot of properties are old, poorly insulated and need a fair bit of work.

Ramot, I know that bit of coast is lovely but is there plenty to do especially off season?

43 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Yes you would only be bored if you wanted to be. Honestly almost every hobby/interest you might have is up and running. Ref. the ‘off’ season, we locals like having our beaches etc. back!! Never really quiet as lots of southerners come here.

You could consider what a lot of them do, rent somewhere and come for a few months, that way you could see if you like an area.

We could house swap!!!!? Whereabouts are you? Might work out one day. Also most years we go away for several months and have house sitters, it’s quite popular here.

19 minutes ago, ramot said:

Yes you would only be bored if you wanted to be. Honestly almost every hobby/interest you might have is up and running. Ref. the ‘off’ season, we locals like having our beaches etc. back!! Never really quiet as lots of southerners come here.

You could consider what a lot of them do, rent somewhere and come for a few months, that way you could see if you like an area.

We could house swap!!!!? Whereabouts are you? Might work out one day. Also most years we go away for several months and have house sitters, it’s quite popular here.

Now there is an idea. We do live in a lovely part of the Adelaide hills, Hahndorf.  House sitting sounds like a plan too.  We had considered but are not used to pets which many house sits want!  We could rent our house if we needed the cash as it is popular year round here.

We are in our mid to late 50s and looking forward to being able to take months out to travel, but not just yet! At least one more year of PT work for OH to go I think.

we would want to spend some time in an area before committing to purchase for sure.

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:44, rammygirl said:

OK so we are semi retired and finding SA too cold in the winters and tend to head North for warmth. 

In a similar situation in Blackwood, this last winter has lasted to long and to cold and the houses although supposed to be modern are like living in a shed, with little insulation and decent heating, A UK friend who recently visited and is also a builder as I was most of my life calls them "matchsticks and cardboard" when looking at the construction of some nearby so called luxury houses. Will be looking for somewhere warmer with a European quality build or I will build myself although I have retired.

Since moving here I have completely double glazed with decent German double glazing, plenty of loft insulation, reroofed with decent lining and thinking of cavity wall insulation, a decent heating system is next on the list, most of the heat escapes through the walls now, the next person who says the winters are short here so you dont need all that insulation will get a short reply. Few seem to understand that a well insulated house keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer.

• Like 3

Guest Carol from Vista Financial
On 04/10/2018 at 13:54, rammygirl said:

That isn’t an issue for us. We are living in a house we built and specified additional insulation and double glazing. Warm and cozy indoors.

It really does make a difference. 

Warm and cozy is definitely the go and yes the chill here is something! Underfloor heating is something I dream about in winter. Hahndorf is generally a few degrees colder though too?

My sister lives in Brisbane and says the winters are much milder. Caloundra is a beautiful place but price wise obviously depends what you are after i guess unit/house etc.?

Good excuse for a holiday to go suss it all out, good luck!

Yes HAHNDORF is colder than the plains and city, although that is wonderful in Summer when the concrete jungle is stifling. 

We really liked Brissie, hence wanting to be close enough to go in for theatre,galleries and nights out as well as the shopping!

I know the nights are still chilly up there but the days are still warm over winter and so is the sea temperature. 

I think we might look into house sitting as an option to try out some areas, although we don’t really do cats and dogs (hubbie is allergic) we have experience with birds and reptiles and I am more than happy to potter in a garden keeping it in shape etc. 

Edited by rammygirl

Guest Carol from Vista Financial

Autumn leaves in Hahndorf are worth a drive for me! Yes Brissie is a lovely city, lots to do but can escape too. House sitting is a great idea, surely there are others that don't have pets and just want someone to watch over the house.... and look after the garden (extra points for pottering opportunities)!

Guest The Pom Queen
On 08/10/2018 at 09:33, rammygirl said:

I think we might look into house sitting as an option to try out some areas, although we don’t really do cats and dogs (hubbie is allergic) we have experience with birds and reptiles and I am more than happy to potter in a garden keeping it in shape etc. 

I wonder about a house swap?