The Acting Industry in Sydney or Melbourne

Zobarks

Hoping someone is able to help me out and offer advice! Little bit of a different topic. 

So I've been over to Australia a couple of times and fell in love with it. And in typical British fashion, would love to up sticks and move there. I've got quite a lot of close family friends and school friends who live out there so luckily I wouldn't be completely alone over there. I'm currently studying a Masters in Professional Acting in London and for the last year, I have been contemplating moving after I have graduated. It's now or never right? But my main concern is my career choice. I'm well aware that the acting industry is tough and very competitive no matter where you are - however I was wondering if anybody on here knows a thing or two about the Acting Industry over in Australia - specifically Sydney, or even Melbourne? If so, I have a couple of questions.

What is the industry like? Is it a good place to be for a career in Acting?

How tough is getting an agent? And are the agencies good out there in terms of getting you auditions?

Do you get many opportunities in terms of Film & TV?

Is it possible to get representation if only on a Working Holiday Visa? 

Do they offer opportunities to audition for US TV shows & Films? 

Any advice would be amazing!! Would massively appreciate it as it is hard to find advice on this through google. 

Thank you,

Zoe 

I can't speak for acting, but I know it's very tough for professional musicians and dancers.   Right now, I know three who are making a living full-time from dance.  One is in a ballet company, one is teaching as well as performing, and the third is an international headliner.  All the rest have day jobs - performing doesn't pay the bills.

The problem is, Australia's population is only 23 million.  The UK is 65 million.  So if you're trying to put on a show, you've got only one-third the potential audience.  Worse, that audience is spread out over a vast continent - so you can't count the people in Western Australia or the Northern Territory, because it costs too much to freight the show out there.  In the UK, you can also take the show to Europe or Ireland at a reasonable cost, whereas it's very expensive to tour to Asia or New Zealand.  

You might say, the audience is smaller but then, surely there are fewer artists?  Well yes - but the thing is, producing a show costs the same in Australia as it does in the UK.  You've got to recoup that cost in tickets.  A smaller audience means fewer tickets therefore putting on a show becomes unprofitable.  

I'm also seeing a lot of complaints in the press about how the TV companies are not producing local dramas, they're importing Australian and British shows instead.  That can't be good news for the industry.  

On the bright side, there are big studios on the Gold Coast and in Sydney where international films are made, so there would be work there.  But I suspect competition for parts would be fierce.

On the back of this post thought I would ask re my daughter. We are currently looking at moving over in June / July time on temp 457 visa with myself sponsored to work. My eldest daughter is a full time actress on one of the main UK soaps. Although she wont initially be joining us I wondered if anyone knew contacts to speak to re the soaps that are currently filmed in Australia and possible roles either short or long term if she choose to join us. I know it’s a long shot but thought would ask. We will be moving to Melbourne 

Thanks @Marisawright for the help! Currently I'm not planning on putting on a show - I'm looking more at TV and Film roles so that last little section of your message is incredibly helpful in regards to that. I am definitely aware that the competition will be fierce, I don't doubt that for a second but then I guess the competition within this industry is fierce no matter where you go. I'm currently in London where a huge proportion of the opportunities are and it is still insanely competitive here and the city is saturated with aspiring actors, LA is the same. 

As much as London is great and filled with the creative industry, the lifestyle here is nothing compared to Australia's lifestyle. And this is why I'm interested is moving over because if there are acting opportunities in Australia then I'd much rather be living where I used to live in Sydney and making the most of the lifestyle out there rather than being stuck in a smoggy city where nobody smiles at eachother and there are absolutely no beaches, unless you count a bit of mud on the side of the Thames haha! 

Thanks so much for your reply, appreciate you taking the time to reply and if you have any other info then that would be amazing! 

@richandniki If I come across any advice that would benefit your daughter re: potentially moving over then I will be happy to pass it on to you. Has she got a showreel or clips of her on the UK soaps because she could always send them over to casting directors and agencies in Australia to get her foot in the door - seeing as though she will already have credits from her role in a UK soap. 

6 hours ago, Zobarks said:

Thanks @Marisawright for the help! Currently I'm not planning on putting on a show

Actually, I didn't think you were planning to put on a show.  I was trying to explain why there are fewer stage productions in Australia.  Because there aren't as many stage productions, that means less theatre work for artists.

In the UK, competition from other actors is fierce - but at least you have a choice of stage as well as film and TV.   With so much less stage work in Australia, everyone is chasing film and TV work so it's tough.  I suspect having an English accent will be a disadvantage for television, which isn't making much new drama anyway - but when they do, they tend to go for Australian themes.  

If you're coming on a WHV then I'd treat it as a just that, a working holiday, and see what happens.

On 20/03/2018 at 01:18, Marisawright said:

Actually, I didn't think you were planning to put on a show.  I was trying to explain why there are fewer stage productions in Australia.  Because there aren't as many stage productions, that means less theatre work for artists.

In the UK, competition from other actors is fierce - but at least you have a choice of stage as well as film and TV.   With so much less stage work in Australia, everyone is chasing film and TV work so it's tough.  I suspect having an English accent will be a disadvantage for television, which isn't making much new drama anyway - but when they do, they tend to go for Australian themes.  

If you're coming on a WHV then I'd treat it as a just that, a working holiday, and see what happens.

Ahhhh I see. Yes of course, completely understand - that makes perfect sense. 

You're definitely right. I am planning to come over on WHV and my plan was to see what happens within the year but I just wanted to put the feelers out (so to speak) beforehand to see what I could find out before I make a move. 

Thank you, again! 

1 hour ago, Zobarks said:

The WHV 

Then it is very important to understand what this is. You are not moving to Australia. You are going on holiday. It is what it says on the tin. Its just that unlike a normal tourist visa it comes with some limited work rights (You can only work for one employer for a maximum of 6 months)

8 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Then it is very important to understand what this is. You are not moving to Australia. You are going on holiday. It is what it says on the tin. Its just that unlike a normal tourist visa it comes with some limited work rights (You can only work for one employer for a maximum of 6 months)

Yes I do completely understand what it is. Little confusion there, sorry for that. I meant 'moving' over using the WHV to test the waters and see what opportunities are out there, as opposed to migrating over there. 

I would suggest that you check if there are any visa options for you to stay beyond the WHV as I am not sure there are. There are special visas available for things like actors such as the Talent visa, but these have some fairly major asks in qualifying as there mainly for high profile actors.

13 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I would suggest that you check if there are any visa options for you to stay beyond the WHV as I am not sure there are. There are special visas available for things like actors such as the Talent visa, but these have some fairly major asks in qualifying as there mainly for high profile actors.

Sadly,  there isn't. I have looked into the talent visa before but I think you have to be in Australia in order to apply for it and you also need to be nominated by someone who is well-established within the same field. So at the moment, my option is going over on WHV and working super hard to establish myself best I can and seeing how it goes. 

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2018 at 02:55, richandniki said:

On the back of this post thought I would ask re my daughter. We are currently looking at moving over in June / July time on temp 457 visa with myself sponsored to work. My eldest daughter is a full time actress on one of the main UK soaps. Although she wont initially be joining us I wondered if anyone knew contacts to speak to re the soaps that are currently filmed in Australia and possible roles either short or long term if she choose to join us. I know it’s a long shot but thought would ask. We will be moving to Melbourne 

She would probably have to qualify for her own visa and am not sure she would be eligible. 

• 1 month later...
On 18/03/2018 at 23:30, Marisawright said:

I can't speak for acting, but I know it's very tough for professional musicians and dancers.   Right now, I know three who are making a living full-time from dance.  One is in a ballet company, one is teaching as well as performing, and the third is an international headliner.  All the rest have day jobs - performing doesn't pay the bills.

The problem is, Australia's population is only 23 million.  The UK is 65 million.  So if you're trying to put on a show, you've got only one-third the potential audience.  Worse, that audience is spread out over a vast continent - so you can't count the people in Western Australia or the Northern Territory, because it costs too much to freight the show out there.  In the UK, you can also take the show to Europe or Ireland at a reasonable cost, whereas it's very expensive to tour to Asia or New Zealand.  

You might say, the audience is smaller but then, surely there are fewer artists?  Well yes - but the thing is, producing a show costs the same in Australia as it does in the UK.  You've got to recoup that cost in tickets.  A smaller audience means fewer tickets therefore putting on a show becomes unprofitable.  

I'm also seeing a lot of complaints in the press about how the TV companies are not producing local dramas, they're importing Australian and British shows instead.  That can't be good news for the industry.  

On the bright side, there are big studios on the Gold Coast and in Sydney where international films are made, so there would be work there.  But I suspect competition for parts would be fierce.

Sadly, I second this. I've got a few Aussie muso friends, and I've heard the same from them. Neither make a living from it. True, they are based in WA, but both have tried touring the east coast and still wound up not only not making a living from it, but barely covering the costs of doing it. To give an idea of the economies needed, one of them was in a band that loaded up a trailer and hauled it behind one their own vehicles to the east coast - all the way across the Nullarbor. Lovely road trip, but basically a fun self-funding hobby, not a way to make a living.

• Like 1