British-style pubs in Melbourne

Saurer Pfirsich

Bit of a long-shot this one, but I have a mate visiting from home in a few weeks time and I'm trying to find a pub that I can take him to for a lads night out whilst he's in Melbourne. I'm not much of a pub-goer nowadays, but we both used to be CAMRA members back in the day and I know he still loves his real ales. Can anyone recommend a British-style pub in Melbourne that serves Ales and Bitters? If it shows English football and serves decent pub grub then even better! :)

I appreciate that British pubs are the best in the world but, I know if I was visiting Melbourne from the UK I would prefer to be shown around typical Melbourne pubs.

I'm sure he will enjoy the many varieties of Craft Beer they have locally just as much.

He can get his fix of British pubs in Britain surely?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, simmo said:

I appreciate that British pubs are the best in the world but, I know if I was visiting Melbourne from the UK I would prefer to be shown around typical Melbourne pubs.

I'm sure he will enjoy the many varieties of Craft Beer they have locally just as much.

He can get his fix of British pubs in Britain surely?

I'm trying to make him feel at home tbh. I've been encouraging him to come and visit  us in Australia all the time we've been here and he's always been reluctant, but now his sister's getting married in Sydney so he's finally relented. 

I'm not sure how he'll go with craft beer as he's a bit of a traditionalist and might struggle outside of his Fullers and Theakstons comfort zone. I might suggest he smuggles in a few bottles of 'Spitfire' or 'Old Peculiar' in his luggage just to ease the transition!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I might suggest he smuggles in a few bottles of 'Spitfire' or 'Old Peculiar' in his luggage just to ease the transition!

No need to smuggle them - you can buy bottles of Spitfire and Old Peculiar in any Dan Murphy's.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I'm trying to make him feel at home tbh. I've been encouraging him to come and visit  us in Australia all the time we've been here and he's always been reluctant, but now his sister's getting married in Sydney so he's finally relented. 

I'm not sure how he'll go with craft beer as he's a bit of a traditionalist and might struggle outside of his Fullers and Theakstons comfort zone. I might suggest he smuggles in a few bottles of 'Spitfire' or 'Old Peculiar' in his luggage just to ease the transition!

You can get both at Dan Murphys

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

When you go on holiday you don't want to feel at home.  Surely the whole idea is experiencing different cultures. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Obviously a man of good taste but I'm sure he'll enjoy the local stuff or at least be able to endure it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

If I had traveled half way around the world the last thing I would want to see is an english style pub!! just sayin!

I'm looking forward to checking these places out, although I'll respectfully give the St Kilda option a miss - don't want to get glassed! I might do a bit of a reccy before he arrives and see how they compare to pubs back home. :)

14 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

If I had traveled half way around the world the last thing I would want to see is an english style pub!! just sayin!

I agree, If I was on holiday in England I wouldn't want to see an Australian pub.

Most people want to see how the locals live ?

What is the point of going on holiday and then doing what you always do at home ?

22 minutes ago, Parley said:

I agree, If I was on holiday in England I wouldn't want to see an Australian pub.

Most people want to see how the locals live ?

What is the point of going on holiday and then doing what you always do at home ?

In fairness to him, he's someone who hasn't left the UK for decades and he's only grudgingly making this trip as he's giving his sister away at her wedding. I've been nagging him for ten years to come and visit us here and he's always been resolutely uninterested in doing so. So, as he's straying so far from his comfort-zone, I'm just trying to make this as painless as possible for him!

• Like 3

Guest The Pom Queen
On 08/03/2018 at 17:47, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Bit of a long-shot this one, but I have a mate visiting from home in a few weeks time and I'm trying to find a pub that I can take him to for a lads night out whilst he's in Melbourne. I'm not much of a pub-goer nowadays, but we both used to be CAMRA members back in the day and I know he still loves his real ales. Can anyone recommend a British-style pub in Melbourne that serves Ales and Bitters? If it shows English football and serves decent pub grub then even better! :)

Not sure where you are in Melbourne but the Pig and Whistle in the Dandenong Ranges use to be good http://www.pigandwhistletavern.com/index.php/about

I'm sure you know, but just in case - Aussie craft beer (or any craft beer) is nothing like London Pride, Old Peculiar or other UK bitters.  From what I've experienced in Aus/UK/US craft beer is way over hopped and far too dry.  It's like they try too hard but then produce something that needs a glass of water chaser.

Also Australian "Bitter" and "Pale Ales" don't mean the same as back in the UK

• Like 1