Returning to Northern Ireland after 30 years in Perth

aussiederek

Just wondering if anyone has considered retiring back in Northern Ireland? Now in our mid 70s I have had enough of Australia after 30 years and just want to spend the rest of my days back "home". We have visited other parts of Australia and relocating interstate is not an option. Perth is nice when working but mind numbing in retirement! In recent years we have spent many holidays back in NI so know what it's like, but can't keep doing that. I know holidays are different but we lived there for a couple of months at a time just like a resident. I am under no illusions re the rose coloured glasses, that's why I'm asking the question.
I know that our part UK age pension would be unfrozen and we would continue to receive most of the basic part of our Aussie pension, means tested of course.
Any comments or advice would be appreciated ... but please be gentle LOL

• Like 1

Sorry @aussiederek, I don't have any experience to offer but I know there are other PIO members who have returned/  are returning to the UK (if not NI) in not too dissimilar circumstances., so hopefully someone will be along shortly to share their thoughts.

My own view for what it's worth is that 30 years is a long time, however many people move to Aus in retirement so why not move the other way if that's where your next adventure lies? If you can think of it as your next step rather than a return home, it might be easier to assimilate to the changes and differences you will almost certainly encounter. Holidays will have helped but as you recognise yourself, everything is novel when on holiday and sometimes the daily grind can be a different issue.  

Good luck with the plans and I hope all goes well. T x 

• Like 3

If you've been on frequent, long-term holidays then I don't see what problems you might face.   You already know the pension situation.   You'll be eligible for medical treatment under the NHS and it's just a case of walking into the doctor's surgery and registering.  There will be a waiting period before you can access any other benefits, though - but if you have sufficient funds for frequent holidaying abroad, I assume you wouldn't be claiming benefits anyway.

If you're planning to rent for six months while you look for a place to buy, be aware that as you're retired, landlords will demand you pay the full six months' rent upfront.  After that, if you're still renting, they will accept monthly payments.

Keep your Australian bank account open and have your Australian pension and superannuation paid into it, then transfer as needed using a service like Moneycorp (they charge no fees to PomsinOz members).  You'll get a much better exchange rate that way.

You'll need your Australian bank account anyway because you'll have no credit rating in the UK, and therefore you won't be able to get a credit card or overdraft.  As in Australia, many banks have interest-bearing accounts with special incentives and offers, but you won't be eligible for any of them either.  You'll get a bare-bones, no-interest transaction account and that's that.  We got a credit card after about six months, but the limit was 200 pounds.   You'll need to build up your credit rating over a couple of years and this is how you do it:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score

Change the address on your Australian bank accounts to a NI one at least a month before you leave (ask a friend or family member if you can use their address, but don't put "c/o" their name - just write your name and the address as if it were your own home).  Then request a printed bank statement or some other document from your bank.  That way, when you arrive in NI, you will have a bank document with a local address on it, which you can use to open a bank account in Northern Ireland. 

Note, you will have to be prepared to tell a bare-faced lie at the bank interview - they will ask you whether it's your address and you will have to say yes!   However, the alternative is that you won't be able to open a bank account until you have found a place to live, and received either a bank document or a utility bill with your full name and address on it. 

I did the send-to-a-friend trick and had a bank account within three weeks.  Actually I opened the account on the day after I arrived, but you must have an interview to activate the account, and the first appointment wasn't for ten days.  Then I had to wait for the card to arrive in the post.   My husband didn't get his account opened for almost three months, because he had to wait till we found a place to live (one month), then wait for our first utility bill, then make an appointment, only to have the bill rejected by the bank because it showed his first initial not his full name, then get another document, make another appointment, get approved and wait for the card to arrive.  Whew!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 06:30, aussiederek said:

Just wondering if anyone has considered retiring back in Northern Ireland? Now in our mid 70s I have had enough of Australia after 30 years and just want to spend the rest of my days back "home". We have visited other parts of Australia and relocating interstate is not an option. Perth is nice when working but mind numbing in retirement! In recent years we have spent many holidays back in NI so know what it's like, but can't keep doing that. I know holidays are different but we lived there for a couple of months at a time just like a resident. I am under no illusions re the rose coloured glasses, that's why I'm asking the question.
I know that our part UK age pension would be unfrozen and we would continue to receive most of the basic part of our Aussie pension, means tested of course.
Any comments or advice would be appreciated ... but please be gentle LOL

good luck Derek ..i haven't been to N.I myself , but people tell me parts are beautiful..

if your heart and head are calling you home , then iam sure it will fit like a glove .?

• Like 1

Just now, bunbury61 said:

good luck Derek ..i haven't been to N.I myself , but people tell me parts are beautiful..

if your heart and head are calling you home , then iam sure it will fit like a glove .?

p.s they have had 3or 4 northern irish villages in the u.k " village of the year finals .

some real togetherness and community in those places ...and the people have a genuine warmth

BROUGHSHANE ? actually won village of the year .....beautiful

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you've been on frequent, long-term holidays then I don't see what problems you might face.   You already know the pension situation.   You'll be eligible for medical treatment under the NHS and it's just a case of walking into the doctor's surgery and registering.  There will be a waiting period before you can access any other benefits, though - but if you have sufficient funds for frequent holidaying abroad, I assume you wouldn't be claiming benefits anyway.

If you're planning to rent for six months while you look for a place to buy, be aware that as you're retired, landlords will demand you pay the full six months' rent upfront.  After that, if you're still renting, they will accept monthly payments.

Keep your Australian bank account open and have your Australian pension and superannuation paid into it, then transfer as needed using a service like Moneycorp (they charge no fees to PomsinOz members).  You'll get a much better exchange rate that way.

You'll need your Australian bank account anyway because you'll have no credit rating in the UK, and therefore you won't be able to get a credit card or overdraft.  As in Australia, many banks have interest-bearing accounts with special incentives and offers, but you won't be eligible for any of them either.  You'll get a bare-bones, no-interest transaction account and that's that.  We got a credit card after about six months, but the limit was 200 pounds.   You'll need to build up your credit rating over a couple of years and this is how you do it:

Change the address on your Australian bank accounts to a NI one at least a month before you leave (ask a friend or family member if you can use their address, but don't put "c/o" their name - just write your name and the address as if it were your own home).  Then request a printed bank statement or some other document from your bank.  That way, when you arrive in NI, you will have a bank document with a local address on it, which you can use to open a bank account in Northern Ireland. 

Note, you will have to be prepared to tell a bare-faced lie at the bank interview - they will ask you whether it's your address and you will have to say yes!   However, the alternative is that you won't be able to open a bank account until you have found a place to live, and received either a bank document or a utility bill with your full name and address on it. 

I did the send-to-a-friend trick and had a bank account within three weeks.  Actually I opened the account on the day after I arrived, but you must have an interview to activate the account, and the first appointment wasn't for ten days.  Then I had to wait for the card to arrive in the post.   My husband didn't get his account opened for almost three months, because he had to wait till we found a place to live (one month), then wait for our first utility bill, then make an appointment, only to have the bill rejected by the bank because it showed his first initial not his full name, then get another document, make another appointment, get approved and wait for the card to arrive.  Whew!

Got to say we never had any hassles in opening a bank account. I walked into Halifax and asked, they made an appointment for the following day. Me and the  wife went along, we were staying in an AirBnb and used that address. Normal account and a savings account opened there and then and bank cards arrived a couple of days later

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Got to say we never had any hassles in opening a bank account. I walked into Halifax and asked, they made an appointment for the following day. Me and the  wife went along, we were staying in an AirBnb and used that address. Normal account and a savings account opened there and then and bank cards arrived a couple of days later

When I went to the UK last June on my fact finding mission to return permanently this year, the Halifax said all I needed was my passport for ID and an address for post and I could have a basic account. They said it was ok if the address wasn’t permanent. I haven’t tested this yet though but it was what they told me. All the other banks needed more ID and a permanent address etc as described by Marisawright.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

When I went to the UK last June on my fact finding mission to return permanently this year, the Halifax said all I needed was my passport for ID and an address for post and I could have a basic account. They said it was ok if the address wasn’t permanent. I haven’t tested this yet though but it was what they told me. All the other banks needed more ID and a permanent address etc as described by Marisawright.

That's what they told me, and yes it was true - you can OPEN an account with just your passport and a temporary address. You can even deposit money in it. You just can't get access to the money until you have an interview and receive your card!

I think the Halifax person you spoke to was out of date.  Some of the banks were very apologetic about the requirements, they said it was new legislation to prevent money laundering and out of their control.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 09:31, Marisawright said:

HI Marisawright, thank you for your reply and advice about keeping the Australian bank account open. Bank account and Doctor in NI are not a problem but I never thought about a credit card. I will have a look at the moneysavingexpert link you me and look into all this further.

23 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

p.s they have had 3or 4 northern irish villages in the u.k " village of the year finals .

some real togetherness and community in those places ...and the people have a genuine warmth

BROUGHSHANE ? actually won village of the year .....beautiful

Thanks for your comments. Yes, some parts of NI are lovely and I still miss it after all these years. I know Broughshane well and it is beautiful. Someone sent me a video of the competition on Facebook, but I can't find it on You Tube?

If we do go back Larne and the Antrim coast would be our target area. However, holidays back have always been in summer and the winters are long and dreary. Can I cope with that is a question? The health service is crap and that is important for us in our mid 70s with some health issues. Brexit muddies the water for Northern Ireland too. Hard to know what's best.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 06:30, aussiederek said:

Perth is nice when working but mind numbing in retirement! 

That's VERY interesting to hear straight from a retiree.  I thought it would have been perfect because it is so quiet and is like one huge retirement village.

We found it mind numbing too... even in our mid 30s right through to our early 40's..

Add to the mix the endless concrete suburbs of nothingness, the sheer isolation of the place and that feeling of being disconnected from the rest of the world with nowhere to go to at weekends.

It broke us in the end and we got out while the going was good.

1 hour ago, Home and Happy said:

That's VERY interesting to hear straight from a retiree.  I thought it would have been perfect because it is so quiet and is like one huge retirement village.

We found it mind numbing too... even in our mid 30s right through to our early 40's..

Add to the mix the endless concrete suburbs of nothingness, the sheer isolation of the place and that feeling of being disconnected from the rest of the world with nowhere to go to at weekends.

You should have tried Tasmania.  Think of parts of Scotland/Ireland - similar in lots of ways.  Yes, it's far away from most places and that's why we chose to live here.  If we did move back to the UK it would be as far away from cities and large towns as possible.  Not everyone enjoys crowds, traffic etc.  It's good you are enjoying your life now and know doubt you are appreciating everything 2nd time around but for many of us here we do manage to get back for holidays and are still happy to return to Australia.  For everyone who goes back to the UK or which ever country they left in the first place there are others who migrated and would never move back permanently.

• Like 2

On 16/02/2018 at 17:53, aussiederek said:

Thanks for your comments. Yes, some parts of NI are lovely and I still miss it after all these years. I know Broughshane well and it is beautiful. Someone sent me a video of the competition on Facebook, but I can't find it on You Tube?

If we do go back Larne and the Antrim coast would be our target area. However, holidays back have always been in summer and the winters are long and dreary. Can I cope with that is a question? The health service is crap and that is important for us in our mid 70s with some health issues. Brexit muddies the water for Northern Ireland too. Hard to know what's best.

My husband has relatives who live in Cushendall a lovely village not far from Larne.  When we used to visit Mum in South West Scotland we took the ferry from Stranraer to Larne - shortest crossing to Ireland.  Beautiful place.  My son is working in County Kildare.  He loves it there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

You seriously mixed with the wrong people, and not everyone lives in a concrete suburb xD

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

When I was in Perth recently I met an English couple who spend the English winters in Perth - four months anyway. If you find the winters in NI too bleak that might be an option?

My sister who lives in Edinburgh spent 2 months away from the UK this winter.  A week in Malaysia, a few days in Singpore,  here in Tasmania  for a few weeks, then NZ for a week, back here again, Melbourne for a week then a week in Thailand before returning to Scotland.  She would like to do a similar thing each year but whether she will or not remains to be seen.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

When I was in Perth recently I met an English couple who spend the English winters in Perth - four months anyway. If you find the winters in NI too bleak that might be an option?

That would be the ideal solution, but not possible in our case. Age, health issues and finances dictate that whatever we do is permanent. We have to get this right one way or the other.

20 hours ago, Toots said:

My sister who lives in Edinburgh spent 2 months away from the UK this winter.  A week in Malaysia, a few days in Singpore,  here in Tasmania  for a few weeks, then NZ for a week, back here again, Melbourne for a week then a week in Thailand before returning to Scotland.  She would like to do a similar thing each year but whether she will or not remains to be seen.  

That's great if you're young and have the finances :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

You seriously mixed with the wrong people, and not everyone lives in a concrete suburb xD

You need the financial resources to do otherwise. The suburbs are what they are, nice looking at first glance but artificial and mind numbing to live in. When we came here at first our youngest son couldn't hack it and returned to NI to finish his uni studies. He is married and lives in America now. I will always remember what he said about Perth; "It's so new you can still smell the paint drying".

On 2/18/2018 at 06:07, Toots said:

My husband has relatives who live in Cushendall a lovely village not far from Larne.  When we used to visit Mum in South West Scotland we took the ferry from Stranraer to Larne - shortest crossing to Ireland.  Beautiful place.  My son is working in County Kildare.  He loves it there.

Antrim coast area a lovely part of the world Toots. I know Cushendall well too :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Toots said:

She's not young - over 60 - but she does have the finances.

When you're well through your 70s anybody in their 60s are youngsters lol. Since that darn 7 appeared in front of our ages I am amazed at how much wellbeing has changed. Some people are blessed with good health and good for them, others struggle. Such is life :)

• Like 2